Supergirl vs. Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SupremeMan
I've been reading the collections of the Supergirl comics, issues 1-9 so far. They clearly imply Supergirl, at least for the time being, seems more powerful than Superman. He admits it might be because she was exposed to intense solar radiation from technology in her ship all the way to Earth but it might also be because he has learned to hold back and she hasn't. But those are character claims, word balloons, not feats.

Granted she has shown nowhere near the strength feats he has but the feats she has that I've seen are:

Flies faster than he can and he cannot catch her.

Synthetic kryptonite has no affect on her although it apparently has some weakening effect on him.

Stands up to attacks that hurt him more than they hurt her. Hence, more 'invulnerable'.

Fights opponents such as Blackrock that beat Superman almost easily and then she steps in and beats them almost easily.

Blackrock: "Aghhh! You... You're stronger than he is!"

This and equivalent statements are made again and again.

I don't know what's happened since issue 9 as I only buy Supergirl when the collections come out and I haven't read volume 3 (issues 10-19) yet or other issues beyond that.

For the time being, based on what we've seen so far, is it fair to assume that, until they establish otherwise, she is more powerful? Does she beat him in a fight?

quanchi112
Superman wins.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Wonder Woman bitched supergirl with one hand. Held her like a five your old child in a choke hold.

Supergirl has no prayer of beating Superman when Superman is more powerful than WW.

Nod
Originally posted by SupremeMan
I've been reading the collections of the Supergirl comics, issues 1-9 so far. They clearly imply Supergirl, at least for the time being, seems more powerful than Superman. He admits it might be because she was exposed to intense solar radiation from technology in her ship all the way to Earth but it might also be because he has learned to hold back and she hasn't. But those are character claims, word balloons, not feats.

Granted she has shown nowhere near the strength feats he has but the feats she has that I've seen are:

Synthetic kryptonite has no affect on her although it apparently has some weakening effect on him.

Stands up to attacks that hurt him more than they hurt her. Hence, more 'invulnerable'.

Fights opponents such as Blackrock that beat Superman almost easily and then she steps in and beats them almost easily.

I don't know what's happened since issue 9 as I only buy Supergirl when the collections come out and I haven't read volume 3 (issues 10-19) yet or other issues beyond that.

For the time being, based on what we've seen so far, is it fair to assume that, until they establish otherwise, she is more powerful? Does she beat him in a fight?

You missed allot then.

It was said in her own comic hes more powerful and then he beat her. Then WW pwned her as well.

Grinning Goku
Supergirl is female and therefore loses by default.

SupremeMan
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
Supergirl is female and therefore loses by default.

Now is that your real opinion or just sarcasm at people who play the gender card whenever anyone thinks WW would lose? I ask because I've been on a board where someone actually got banned for calling everybody who thought WW would lose a 'piece of sexist garbage', not once but about, oh, 200 times.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Now is that your real opinion or just sarcasm at people who play the gender card whenever anyone thinks WW would lose? I ask because I've been on a board where someone actually got banned for calling everybody who thought WW would lose a 'piece of sexist garbage', not once but about, oh, 200 times.

The sad reality is, Female bricks don't get too much respect. But WW suffers from being from the lessor of the two big Giants. So she has alot going against her besides being a female character. To be honest, there is some form of sexism, fanboyism, etc. It's just part of the boards. The person should have just argued harder for WW instead of calling everyone sexist.

h1a8

I disagree somewhat. First of all if Superman wasn't flying at FTL speeds then he wasn't flying at his best speed. Second, she has been consistently hurt far more easily than he has. The comics easily show that her durability is less than his. True, Superman does fight with mental blocks (preventing him from killing) that significantly lowers his power output; but in these forum fights we assume that these blocks are off to ensure that a character fights at their best. So she's not stronger. She just have no mental blocks like he does (came from his upbringing by his Earthly parents).

SupremeMan
Originally posted by h1a8
I disagree somewhat. First of all if Superman wasn't flying at FTL speeds then he wasn't flying at his best speed. Second, she has been consistently hurt far more easily than he has. The comics easily show that her durability is less than his. True, Superman does fight with mental blocks (preventing him from killing) that significantly lowers his power output; but in these forum fights we assume that these blocks are off to ensure that a character fights at their best. So she's not stronger. She just have no mental blocks like he does (came from his upbringing by his Earthly parents).

Oh I understand that. What I'm saying is that we do not know for a fact that that is why she seems more powerful. It could just as easily be that she received more intense sun radiation from the tech on her ship during all the years she was traveling. Both those explanations were thrown in and neither was verified as being fact. Batman offered both explanations. Superman preferred to believe its because he holds back. He even said its the explanation he prefers. I thought WW was giving him this sidelong look when he said that that made me laugh. It was a look of, 'Oh yes, must preserve male ego. Let it go.'

As I said, I'm basing this on the first nine issues until I buy the third volume. In those first nine, she is portrayed as being more powerful. The explanations are just theories.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.