Who else hear watches the films in 1-6 order?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I'm watching all six right now sequentialy 1-6. (not my first time)

It flows pretty well I think. I remember when we all had our doubts before rots came out, but it works ( I think).

I can't watch them in full movies though, I have to watch them in chunks. Like I'll watch TPM for 20 minutes to an hour one night, and then rest over the next day or so. It takes about a week per trilogy.

The only humps I have to get over are the first two episodes. after that its just good shit

Phantom Menace is more fasicinating to watch anakin skywalker become Obi's apprentice, a young obiwan, the jedi council and what not, and darth maul.

Attack of the clones-I remember it being interesting to see anakin use a light saber for the first time when I first saw the movie. The whole jango/boba fett thing is cool, I just the love how the movie opened with the clouds on corusant and everything. But the movie is kinda draggy in the middle and it isn't until Anakin slaughters the tusken raiders "we all now what that ment" where its Like: STAR WARS HAS OFFICIALY ARRIVED!! then we get storm/clone troopers and early star destroyers, massive jedi battle and the clone wars which was a great way to kick off the begining of ROTS which when that movie ends poignantly leads into ANH.

singe_101
I've been using Netflix to watch them but not 6 at a time, no. I used to watch the VHS 4-6 in order once or twice. I didn't watch them from night to night either, really, I mixed them some.

I need some time to reflect and process between them, always something new. Does Lucas intend them to be watched in a marathon, or one a night, one a week, or no preference? I know, probably no preference but if he isn't sick of them and has just one way to watch them I wonder what he does/would do.

A marathon seems like too much for me, I've started the LOTR one but by the end of the second I had to do something else. Those are crazy long but shorter than 6 Star Wars.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I'm watching all six right now sequentialy 1-6. (not my first time)

It flows pretty well I think. I remember when we all had our doubts before rots came out, but it works ( I think).

I can't watch them in full movies though, I have to watch them in chunks. Like I'll watch TPM for 20 minutes to an hour one night, and then rest over the next day or so. It takes about a week per trilogy.

The only humps I have to get over are the first two episodes. after that its just good shit

Phantom Menace is more fasicinating to watch anakin skywalker become Obi's apprentice, a young obiwan, the jedi council and what not, and darth maul.

Attack of the clones-I remember it being interesting to see anakin use a light saber for the first time when I first saw the movie. The whole jango/boba fett thing is cool, I just the love how the movie opened with the clouds on corusant and everything. But the movie is kinda draggy in the middle and it isn't until Anakin slaughters the tusken raiders "we all now what that ment" where its Like: STAR WARS HAS OFFICIALY ARRIVED!! then we get storm/clone troopers and early star destroyers, massive jedi battle and the clone wars which was a great way to kick off the begining of ROTS which when that movie ends poignantly leads into ANH.

I've done this several times.

queeq
I did it twice I think...

I still think AOTC is a complete waste of time if didn't have such nice pictures.

General G
I have done it once or twice.

And I wouldn't say it was that bad...just many corny parts.

queeq
That plus the fact that the story is for the most part very obsolete.

General G
hehe...yes, but it was needed...the clone wars had to start somehow...same with his relationship with Padme.

queeq
It was not needed... We don't NEED to know who the 'father' of the clones is, and the relationship with Padme was a given. They should have made ROTS into two films and incorporate the love story in that.

General G
No, the father was not needed...but it gave us a face on Boba.

queeq
Unfortunately.

General G
hehe

Why so bad on that?

queeq
Coz it made Boba kinda suck and ruined his cool voice in ESB.

General G
It didn't really make him suck...mind you I found his character to be really annoying.

queeq
Why? He was a lethal bounty hunter to be reckoned with. Not knowing anything about him added to it. Now he's just a vengeful kid.

General G
It shows he has a reason for what he does and not just waking up one day thinking he wants to kill folk for some money.

queeq
Like a minor character NEEDS a reason.

Now I almost want to know what reasons Bossk, Zuckuss and Dengar have... Oh please, George, make an SE to AOTC explaining their backstories as well... PLEEAAASSSEE!!!

~JP~
Originally posted by queeq
Coz it made Boba kinda suck and ruined his cool voice in ESB.

Pffffffft Boba already sucked in my book. I dont get why people always thought Boba Fett was so cool? Big whoop, he was the bounty hunter that took Han to Jabba. Vader did all the work, all Fett did was haul away the frozen form.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by ~JP~
Pffffffft Boba already sucked in my book. I dont get why people always thought Boba Fett was so cool? Big whoop, he was the bounty hunter that took Han to Jabba. Vader did all the work, all Fett did was haul away the frozen form. Two words: Expanded Universe wink

Darth Martin
ROTJ for me is the most painful to watch because the first two of the OT are masterpieces but this one has some horrible parts. Like the Ewoks beating Stormtroopers and some of Jabba's palace, but after that it goes back to OT formula. Btw the scens with the Emperor, Vader, and Luke together and Yoda and Luke is what makes this film great.

queeq
I agree.

Pffffffft Boba already sucked in my book. I dont get why people always thought Boba Fett was so cool? Big whoop, he was the bounty hunter that took Han to Jabba. Vader did all the work, all Fett did was haul away the frozen form.

Fett was cool... that's all he did. "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold." - Just great... the old version that is.

OB1-adobe

From my recololection you didn't didn't like General grevious either

queeq
Grievous is not as cool as Boba.

Sadako of Girth
Boba was the shit.

Short in appearance (both figuratively and literally), but the armour was WAY too cool not to love, Slave-1 is one of the coolest and most uniquely designed vehicles in SW and the dialogue that he had was bad motherflubberish. What was not to like...?

The character was a total enigma, wrapped in a wriddle, wrapped in high density armour. (til "clones came out at least"wink

And even after 2002, I still love the character/story.

Rogue Jedi
It was the armor that got me. and the Jetpack.

Nod
I watch it from Anakin to Luke.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Boba was the shit.

Short in appearance (both figuratively and literally), but the armour was WAY too cool not to love, Slave-1 is one of the coolest and most uniquely designed vehicles in SW and the dialogue that he had was bad motherflubberish. What was not to like...?

The character was a total enigma, wrapped in a wriddle, wrapped in high density armour. (til "clones came out at least"wink

And even after 2002, I still love the character/story.

I don't know why IG-88 was so popular with so many people. I think you see his arm, and him out of focus in Empire and thats it.

Thats the beauty about these movies I guess. Everything is intriging and has a story

queeq
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I don't know why IG-88 was so popular with so many people. I think you see his arm, and him out of focus in Empire and thats it.

But then there was the action figure. He was fun to play with. He was taller than the rest.

OB1-adobe
But then there was the action figure. He was fun to play with. He was taller than the rest.

well i do own an orignal ig-88 and boba fett and darth vader and both han solos as well as others

General G
Were IG-88's Grievous's bodyguards?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by General G
Were IG-88's Grievous's bodyguards? blink no

General G
Then I am unsure of what they are.

queeq
Did you ever watch ANY SW movie????

General G
YES...I...DID...!!!!!!!!!

Sith Master X
I've never watched them in numerical order. Honestly, I like to watch
4-6 first, then 1-3. It's cool watching the originals first, and then seeing how everything leads up to them. And I know alot of people dislike AOTC, it is probably the corniest SW flick of them all I'll admit, but I think thats what I love most about it. It's a movie that doesn't take itself seriously, but it's a fun movie in alot of ways. If you can just let yourself go and not analyze the writing, or CGI, it's fun to watch.

queeq
SMX!!!!

Yeah if you ignore 90% of AOTC it's quite enjoyable. laughing

I think AOTC is one of the prettiest SW films. There is some dodgy CGI stuff in there but the end battle looks great. But it's such a pointless film.

General G
It's not pointless!!!

queeq
It is... AOTC is GL's Much Ado About Nothing, though not a masterpiece.

Sadako of Girth
Apparently Grevious' gurads were IG series, but definitely not IG-88s.

His (IG-88's) head was made out of the cylindrical things hanging up behind the Mos Eisley cantina. They're his head up side down.
So he gets points for weirdness.

His design is unigue and whacky like the Slave-1 and Millenium Falcon designs. We just don't see that kind of stuff anymore.
Things just look more....'generic' these days.. sad

Sadako of Girth
SMX!!!!

Yeah if you ignore 90% of AOTC it's quite enjoyable. laughing

I think AOTC is one of the prettiest SW films. There is some dodgy CGI stuff in there but the end battle looks great. But it's such a pointless film.

Though I agree on the suck factor percentage of much of Clones, it did at least show where the cracks in Anakin were forming.

If anything, most of the events in Clones could have been a good episode1, which could have left much more room for Clone Wars malarkies in eps 2 and 3. But "nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....."

queeq
Hehehe... true.

But err... cracks??? All we saw was cracks and it came out of nowhere.

General G
It is... AOTC is GL's Much Ado About Nothing, though not a masterpiece.

I didn't and never have said it was a master piece and I will never say it, all I am saying is that it is needed, you can't go from Ep. 1 to 3.

queeq
It is NOT needed... two plot points were needed... not a whole 2,5 hour movie.

General G
And that movie gaev us those plot points!

queeq
What about the other 2 hours and 5 minutes of obsolete nonsense then?!

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I've never watched them in numerical order. Honestly, I like to watch
4-6 first, then 1-3. It's cool watching the originals first, and then seeing how everything leads up to them. And I know alot of people dislike AOTC, it is probably the corniest SW flick of them all I'll admit, but I think thats what I love most about it. It's a movie that doesn't take itself seriously, but it's a fun movie in alot of ways. If you can just let yourself go and not analyze the writing, or CGI, it's fun to watch.

I'm not really knocking it, Its just the least enjoyable for me.

The first 20 minutes, and the last hour are great. It just the middle of the movie. Obi is out talking to aliens and budding heads with bounty hounters, while anakin and padme are talking about politics and feelings. But the Clone war.......WOW!!! that was a star wars moment when I first saw that.

If they were getting chased by a 20 foot tall IG-88 then that would made the movie not seem so long.

But none the less Star wars in one giant 12 hour movie, and AOTC is a sixth of it. So in my review of the giant movie, more of it is good than not.

General G
What about the other 2 hours and 5 minutes of obsolete nonsense then?!

I agree with you that it is just filler.

queeq
Good.

General G
Then we are both agreed on this?

exanda kane
I agree that the PT plus Return of the Jedi are crap films. My 2 pennies. Which are worth about 3 and a 1/4 cents.

queeq
So you just like 2 out of 6?

Exador
I watched all of them in one day

queeq
Impressive. Not unique, but impressive.

General G
Felt lazy that day eh?

Can't say I have done that.

queeq
Me neither. No time.

General G
Hmm...same. Although I should say not enough time.

queeq
Which comes down to the same thing.

General G
Yes, I suppose so.

queeq
It does.

General G
Two different ways of saying the same thing.

queeq
That's repeating.

General G
And that is a smaller word for a bigger sentence.

queeq
And that's being a smarta$$.

General G
Is that a problem?

queeq
I may be... for you, in the end. evil face
Nobody likes a smarta$$.

exanda kane
So you just like 2 out of 6?

Yoy got me.

Ushgarak
I think it hard to call where the dead wood in the PT is, though I think most agree it was trying to do too much in too short a time, and we can all agree that ROTS isn't a waste (though possibly told too fast)

True, literally it is in AOTC where the middle is some of the dullest stuff there- well, the Anakin bits, anyway.

But I feel that might be a symptomn of TPM being pretty mucn a prequel to the second two films (which are in turn prequels to the next three). Now, TPM had lots of important things- Anakin's origin, introduction of the Sith etc. but the point is that that didn't have to happen in an entirely separate plotline, which is what TPM really was. It is true that battle droids and the Feds appear later on but that's just gloss; none of it has plot significance. There coould have been no droids in the other films- the Confederate armies could have been Ninja Commando Reptiles- and the plot would have been identical; the droids are there for the sake of making it LOOK like it is all linked but... no, not really.

So AOTC is then left with the job of establishing a plotline all over again, thus crippling part of what made ESB so good- that it didn't need to establish anything. And then AOTC is ALSO trying to introduce the love-with-Padme plotline as well. And it's also got Obi-Wan investigating a mystery, which is actually the best part of much of the film but in TPM we had Qui-Gon investigating a mystery as well and that's all part of the repetition that's come around...

SOMETHING had to go from all this squeeze. And I think it was the TPM plot that is the one to go. If you take the fundamentals of TPM- discovering a growing threat to the Galaxy that has gone unnoticed due to the Sith- but mix it with the actual plot details of AOTC- that the conspiracy is about the upcoming Clone Wars and all that jazz- then you still have room to introduce Anakin, establish the Sith and have your big Darth Maul duel and then have two films in hand, with a lot more room now.

Anyway. I think if a better structure of rall three films had come in advance- instead of the extent to which it was made up as it went along, same thing that caused ROTJ such problems- then AOTC may have suffered a lot less.

General G
Ush has spoken, and it makes sense. TPM may be the problem, it was rather boring, and could have cleaned up more so AOTC could have less problems.

I may be... for you, in the end. evil face
Nobody likes a smarta$$.

Oh, I highly doubt that, everybody likes a smarta$$. evil face

queeq
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think it hard to call where the dead wood in the PT is, though I think most agree it was trying to do too much in too short a time, and we can all agree that ROTS isn't a waste (though possibly told too fast)

True, literally it is in AOTC where the middle is some of the dullest stuff there- well, the Anakin bits, anyway.

But I feel that might be a symptomn of TPM being pretty mucn a prequel to the second two films (which are in turn prequels to the next three). Now, TPM had lots of important things- Anakin's origin, introduction of the Sith etc. but the point is that that didn't have to happen in an entirely separate plotline, which is what TPM really was. It is true that battle droids and the Feds appear later on but that's just gloss; none of it has plot significance. There coould have been no droids in the other films- the Confederate armies could have been Ninja Commando Reptiles- and the plot would have been identical; the droids are there for the sake of making it LOOK like it is all linked but... no, not really.

So AOTC is then left with the job of establishing a plotline all over again, thus crippling part of what made ESB so good- that it didn't need to establish anything. And then AOTC is ALSO trying to introduce the love-with-Padme plotline as well. And it's also got Obi-Wan investigating a mystery, which is actually the best part of much of the film but in TPM we had Qui-Gon investigating a mystery as well and that's all part of the repetition that's come around...

SOMETHING had to go from all this squeeze. And I think it was the TPM plot that is the one to go. If you take the fundamentals of TPM- discovering a growing threat to the Galaxy that has gone unnoticed due to the Sith- but mix it with the actual plot details of AOTC- that the conspiracy is about the upcoming Clone Wars and all that jazz- then you still have room to introduce Anakin, establish the Sith and have your big Darth Maul duel and then have two films in hand, with a lot more room now.

Anyway. I think if a better structure of rall three films had come in advance- instead of the extent to which it was made up as it went along, same thing that caused ROTJ such problems- then AOTC may have suffered a lot less.

I don't entirely agree with Ush's AOTC assesment though. My big problem with OB1's so-called detective story is that it didn't really lead anywhere, other than revealing the fact that a Clone Army was being made and that a, to the viewer completely new character, may or may not have been behind it (i.e. Dooku). So we get half a film filled with one little bit of exposition that doesn't bring us one bit closer to the real question of the entire PT: who and where are the Sith?

Plus OB1's detective story starts with finding out who is behind Padme's attack. That too is never satisfactorily explained. The TF wanted her dead but why was risking the entire operation by a sloppy and very loud assasination attempt worth the TF's involvement? We already knew they were easily manipulated.

But the thing that gets me most is that the FACT of a Clone Army and the TF's desire to kill Padme has absolutely nothing to do with the main plot: namely a Sith is pulling the strings, Jedi are losing it and Anakin is.... well, what was Anakin supposed to be in AOTC?

A promising Jedi? All we saw was a grumpy, whining, arrogant brat who THINKS he is the greatest and fails at just about everything he does (he is diosobedient, fails to capture a bounty hunter, gets caught, falls in love and loses a lightsabre battle in a very stupid way).

The only revelant plot points that drive the story forward is Anakin falling in love with Padme. And those were the worst love scenes ever. And there was the Clone Army's origin maybe... but since the entire plot BEHIND the origin of the Clone Army is not told or revealed, who cares? There are Clones, they will fight... who needs to know more?

And then... these plot points are quite simply fitted anywhere (just see how easily ESB sandwiches a credible love story betwen great scenes of a great plot). Which all comes down to my feeling that AOTC is very obsolete and GL should have gone for two films at the Beginning of the Clone Wars and at the end (i.e. current ROTS). At least then we would have been able to see Anakin as the great Clone War hero (which we never really see in ROTS) and the good friend of OB1.

exanda kane
I don't think Star Wars is worth the bother. Let it lie.

queeq
What are you doing in here then. Shoo!

General G
laughing out loud

And queeq, I am not going to lie, I got kinda lost in your post a few times, it seemed like you were reaching.

queeq
Hard to read more than one paragraph a day eh?

General G
Hardly, it is hard to read posts where the poster is reaching.

queeq
There are things called books that have pages and pages written full. Maybe you should try one.

And I wasn't reaching. Just analysing.

General G
Books? Oh, read many thanks.

Sure you were.

exanda kane
What are you doing in here then. Shoo!

Telling you that Star Wars wasn't worth the caffeine. Want a roofie?

queeq
Sure. But if SW isn't worth it, maybe you should go to another forum. We have no lives and SW is all we have. Rather cruel to ditch it like that.

exanda kane
Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope are worth discussing, although that's pretty much a dead bush by now anyway, but the rest?

Jeez. Some films are worth discussing, say Hook or Always, more than they are worth watching, but the rest of the SW films, possibly with the exception of Return of the Jedi (simply for the conclusion of the OT) aren't. Let it die.

The days of George Lucas being a respected Mogul-Turkey-Neck have evaporated and all we have left is the more talented Peter Jackson to step into his shoes, a few meandering SW spin-offs and Turning Japanese by the Vapors, simply for the fact that using "evaporated" reminded me of them. Take my effin picture.

queeq
CLICK

exanda kane
The doctor said to do it.

queeq
Of course.

General G
OH! I GET IT!!!

He is an OT fanboy then!! You two will have lots in common queeq wink

He even said only the first three (4-6) were worth discussing.

Lord Melkor
Phantom Menace is very fun fairy tale, actually. I agree that the problem is AOTC.

queeq
YAAAYYYY!

General G
Well then has been decided many times...

queeq
OKiday.

General G
I thought that has been decided already too!

exanda kane
Originally posted by General G
OH! I GET IT!!!

He is an OT fanboy then!! You two will have lots in common queeq wink

He even said only the first three (4-6) were worth discussing.

Off the case y'poon, General Gash.

General G
I am just messing with you man. wink

exanda kane
You think I'd call someone a poon seriously?

queeq
I would. wink

General G
Not anymore I guess.

queeq
Why not?

General G
Because of...this:

Originally posted by exanda kane
You think I'd call someone a poon seriously?

queeq
Maybe he doesn't have his phone number.

General G
That could be true also.

queeq
I'm pretty sure

General G
Ask.

queeq
I don't wanna call.

General G
Do you have the number?

queeq
Why would I want it?

General G
Well...you know...

queeq
I don't.

General G
Well then too bad for you.

queeq
Since off topic: CLOSING

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.