I'm so sick of jedi-based video games.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Schecter
when was the last time we were blessed with a good starship battle game? the last good one imho was rogue squadron 2 for the gamecube. is anyone else itching to jump back in the cockpit for some space battles? why has the lucasarts franchised seemingly abandoned this genre? what i really want is multiplayer space battles via xbox live, and the closest thing to that was in battlefront 2 for the first xbox, which quite frankly sucked (in regards to dogfighting, i mean).

who's with me?

(if this belongs in the general gaming forum, feel free to move it there. just thought it was more appropriate here)

Morridini
A next-gen (current-gen) Rogue Squadron game from Factor 5 would be very cool indeed.

As for non-Jedi SW games, Republic Commando was pretty good.

0°Mandalore°0
I like almost every SW games, even the Jedi ones. Actually, the Jedi ones are my favourite, but I also love the Squadron games. As morridini said, it would be amazing if someone made a current-gen game like that. It would rock.

JediSamuraiMRB

fascistcrusader
I don't know about you guys, but I would love to see a remake of TIE fighter for the PC. That game was fantastic, my favorite flying sim of all time. Imagine how great it could be with today's graphics as well as its amazing gameplay. A current gen sequel to TIE fighter would be nice as well.

LORD JLRTENJAC
I think that it's just that the Jedi are what makes Star Wars special. Were it not for them it would just be Star trek a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Of course, if any remember, The Force Unleashed was originally supposed to be a wookie game. GL shot it down saying "I just spent the last forty minutes talking about the importance of drama, and you present me a game concept where the main character doesn't talk?" And let's face it, you just can't easily have Jedi without drama.

exanda kane
Originally posted by LORD JLRTENJAC
I think that it's just that the Jedi are what makes Star Wars special. Were it not for them it would just be Star trek a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Lol, what a bunch of bollocks.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Hey, had it not been for the Jedi and the Sith... Star Wars would not have as many of the wars. I mean, think about it. most of the wars were directly influenced by the sith.

Also there would be little to no mystery to the galaxy. The force was a great and mysterious thing (Well... untill the prequels) which added a great deal of depth to the galaxy. Just face it, without the Jedi... Star Wars would not be Star Wars.

However I may have been alittle extreme in saying it would be
"Star trek a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". But Star Wars would be a rudementry Sci-fi movie series, and not the space fantasy that everyone knows and loves.

Schecter
Originally posted by fascistcrusader
I don't know about you guys, but I would love to see a remake of TIE fighter for the PC. That game was fantastic, my favorite flying sim of all time. Imagine how great it could be with today's graphics as well as its amazing gameplay. A current gen sequel to TIE fighter would be nice as well.

you read my mind. i so loved that game. though im not optimistic enough to see a return of an actual starship simulator. at this point id be happy with a simple arcade style rogue squadron type game....just...SOMETHING

exanda kane
Hey, had it not been for the Jedi and the Sith... Star Wars would not have as many of the wars. I mean, think about it. most of the wars were directly influenced by the sith.

Also there would be little to no mystery to the galaxy. The force was a great and mysterious thing (Well... untill the prequels) which added a great deal of depth to the galaxy. Just face it, without the Jedi... Star Wars would not be Star Wars.

However I may have been alittle extreme in saying it would be
"Star trek a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". But Star Wars would be a rudementry Sci-fi movie series, and not the space fantasy that everyone knows and loves.

That's a load of rubbish laughing .

The big EH
Originally posted by Schecter
when was the last time we were blessed with a good starship battle game? the last good one imho was rogue squadron 2 for the gamecube. is anyone else itching to jump back in the cockpit for some space battles? why has the lucasarts franchised seemingly abandoned this genre? what i really want is multiplayer space battles via xbox live, and the closest thing to that was in battlefront 2 for the first xbox, which quite frankly sucked (in regards to dogfighting, i mean).

who's with me?

(if this belongs in the general gaming forum, feel free to move it there. just thought it was more appropriate here) i deffinately think they should remake TIE-Fighter for the pc with updated graphics, i always thought that would be cool as it's pretty much lucasarts best game ever

Blue_Hefner
The jedi games are the best ones.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by exanda kane
That's a load of rubbish laughing .

no expression

Dark-Jaxx
That's a load of rubbish laughing . You ARE trolling, you know.

A starfighter game? We haven't had a very good one in a while have we?

LORD JLRTENJAC
No, we haven't... I always have enjoyed games like that...

exanda kane
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
You ARE trolling, you know.

A starfighter game? We haven't had a very good one in a while have we?

Heh, get over yourself.

Reason why I didn't feel the need to elaborate was that JLRTENJAC got it all fundamentally wrong, so wrong that I feel it'd be lecherous and too damn nice of me to correct him fully. I hope that suffices.

Ushgarak
Co-sign on an X-Wing/TIE Fighter type game. Back in those days Lucasarts was unstoppable. Heck, I even played 'Their Finest Hour' which was their WWII Battle of Britain sim upon which they built up to the original X-Wing. Those games were awesome and some kind of return of the series would be fabulous.

Don't get me wrong, Rogue Leader et al was good but it was just an action blaster. X-Wing and Tie Fighter and so on were action games but with surprising depth.

The big EH
they were like the first space sim flyers, and the more they made the more in-depth they got, they are amazing games

LORD JLRTENJAC
Heh, get over yourself.

Reason why I didn't feel the need to elaborate was that JLRTENJAC got it all fundamentally wrong, so wrong that I feel it'd be lecherous and too damn nice of me to correct him fully. I hope that suffices.

Thank you for not trying to explain it to me, it was very nice of you... besides, it's obvious that you don't understand what it is that I speak of.

exanda kane
No, I cearly understand what you are trying to say. I just think it's a very superficial way of looking at the thing.

LORD JLRTENJAC
No, I cearly understand what you are trying to say. I just think it's a very superficial way of looking at the thing.

No, I was saying that you don't understand Star Wars. Besides, just think of the wars:

No Jedi= No sith
The Sith Wars (Duh)
Mandalorian war wouldn't have been won had it not been for Revan who, at the time was a Jedi.
Knights of the old republic (game) Sith attacking the galaxy.
The sith brotherhood vs. the Army of Light (Duh.)
Farfella and Jotun hunting Bane and Zannah, strengthened Zannah's resolve to follow the sith.
ANAKIN SKYWALKER WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN BORN!
The Clone Wars would not have happened had it not been for Palpitine's sith influence.
The empire would have never come to be had it not been for the Clone wars.
Just face it, Star Wars would be a rudementry Sci-fi were it not for the Jedi.

Blue_Hefner
^^^^^

Schecter
No, I was saying that you don't understand Star Wars. Besides, just think of the wars:

No Jedi= No sith
The Sith Wars (Duh)
Mandalorian war wouldn't have been won had it not been for Revan who, at the time was a Jedi.
Knights of the old republic (game) Sith attacking the galaxy.
The sith brotherhood vs. the Army of Light (Duh.)
Farfella and Jotun hunting Bane and Zannah, strengthened Zannah's resolve to follow the sith.
ANAKIN SKYWALKER WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN BORN!
The Clone Wars would not have happened had it not been for Palpitine's sith influence.
The empire would have never come to be had it not been for the Clone wars.
Just face it, Star Wars would be a rudementry Sci-fi were it not for the Jedi. wtf are you rattling on about and how is it on topic?

exanda kane
He's not on topic and yet again, his reasoning is superficial. He's talking about genre like he knows it, but a point like "No Jedi= No sith" really does not say anything to back up his statement.

Schecter
well, just to be clear, the message of this thread is not a wish for the abandonment of jedi/fps star wars games, but rather for lucasarts to bring back the sim genre.

oh and JLRTENJAC, yes the jedi are the main characters which drive the stories, but without space battles star wars (1977) would have gone belly up.

Gambler
well, you get some sort of space battle sim in kotor I too! (LMAO) laughing

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Schecter
well, just to be clear, the message of this thread is not a wish for the abandonment of jedi/fps star wars games, but rather for lucasarts to bring back the sim genre.

oh and JLRTENJAC, yes the jedi are the main characters which drive the stories, but without space battles star wars (1977) would have gone belly up.

True, very true, in fact there are many elements in Star Wars that without even one of them, it would not be the same. However, No other Sci-fi series has anything like the Jedi.

exanda kane
Erm...you think that, honestly?

Sure, lightswords might be a bit of a bonus, but the whole pious, relgious collective is pretty synonymous with Sci-Fi; think Dune's Bene Gesserit Witches et cetera, et cetera.

Schecter
True, very true, in fact there are many elements in Star Wars that without even one of them, it would not be the same. However, No other Sci-fi series has anything like the Jedi.

as kane points out, the jedi are very much like those who use the weirding way dune. many differences yes, but same mystic shroud and super-human powers, forsight/visions (well, more in the case of paul), use of mind control, super-fast movement. things of this nature. also, dune came way before SW.

:edit: damnit...now i'm off topic

LORD JLRTENJAC
My apologies for getting off topic.

Tangible God
It'd be a pleasant change if say, KOTOR 3 was a mix between their traditional RPG combined with a flight simulator.

exanda kane
It'd be nice if it was an MMO. Even I might recycle some time and join in then.

Schecter
i would rather see a sim with perhaps a bit of rts

Captain REX
I can see why LucasArts would concentrate on Jedi-themed games. The fact that you can hack things up with lightsabers and use the Force is a major draw for anyone.

I thought Jedi Knight was a very fun game, myself.

Blax_Hydralisk
Jedi Outcast and Acadamy are two of my favourite games, to this day.

MadMel
agreed
*cough*UF rp*cough*

Ushgarak
I'm surprised to see Outcast lauded. Frankly, whilst the FMV and presentation of Jedi Knighr was nice, it's main claim to fame on the sabre front was that it was the first game to do such duels in any meaningful way, not that they were (in retrospect) much good. And indeed I've never seen a game with a good sabre duel system.

What made Jedi Knight good was a combination of a plot reasonable enough to get people interested (even if the Valley of the Jedi is plain EU super-power nonsense) and- most importantly of all- good level design. And it was that design that I felt Outcast lacked.

And of course any game is the better for good level design so I'm not sure the whole force/sabre thing has been justified in-game yet. Especially as they tend to treat the Force like fantasy wizardry.

Captain REX
Hmm, very true. Now that you mention it, I do recall the levels in Jedi Knight being significantly much more fun to explore and go through than the simple puzzles of Outcast...

steverules
I liked BF2, I went around as yoda using the force to force pull stormtroopers towards me and then kick their ass with my lil green lightsabre

Tangible God
Hopefully, sometime in the future, the Wii will allow us to actually use a lightsaber ourselves. I'd by the console just for that.

Lord Knightfa11
try star wars battlefront II you can have a space battle flight sim, you can have infantry/squad battles, and you can play as a jedi... its pretty much everything your asking for.

Ushgarak
In the way that I suspect you mean, it will never do that.

Captain REX
The Battlefront series really doesn't have the draw that it could have if they had spent as much time on it as they're spending on The Force Unleashed...

Lord Knightfa11
true, true, but its still the number one selling star wars game, and it has all of those options. would have been nice if they made a battlefront III and gave it the ability to be played with the wii zapper and the wiimote and made it right.

I am pretty good with a lightsaber in rl so I would probably own in that game if they made it right for the wii... is it legal to post a youtube on here?

Lord Knightfa11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W2JYYYCB2o

this is me.

Lord Knightfa11
im the sith

exanda kane
I like this guy. He has a sense of humour. thumb up

Lord Knightfa11
haha thanks

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W2JYYYCB2o

this is me.

Much better than what supershadow loving Cory could do. I'm glad he is banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfbhHU2LLk&feature=user

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
Much better than what supershadow loving Cory could do. I'm glad he is banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfbhHU2LLk&feature=user

CRAP my brain... dont ever post ANYTHING like that again. I think my brain overloaded with cerebral fluids and exploded out of my ears!

now im in pain....

sick doctor sad

I dont think "much better" then he can do is much of a complement...

Elite Hunter
CRAP my brain... dont ever post ANYTHING like that again. I think my brain overloaded with cerebral fluids and exploded out of my ears!

now im in pain....

sick doctor sad

I dont think "much better" then he can do is much of a complement...

As much as I hate him I sort of miss wtf pwning his @$$ in the New Giggle Time Happy Thread from like page 15 and on. It was amusing the stiff he said. And it was a good video(though there are some better ones) but I just can't resit posting that whenever some1 shows a good 1.

Lord Knightfa11
hehe smile planning on making a better one. that one demonstrated some of my mikashi.

Schecter
try star wars battlefront II you can have a space battle flight sim, you can have infantry/squad battles, and you can play as a jedi... its pretty much everything your asking for.

it is nowhere near the caliber of any sim or even arcade shooter like rogue squadron. i like the fps combat, and even troop transport ships, but the dogfighting in that game is pure shit, imho

Lord Knightfa11
idk. that youtube vid dat elite hunter posted was the closest ive seen to pure shit...

but the dogfighting simulation in bf2 is not very simulator like, you are right. its more arcad-y kinda corny.

Outbound
Originally posted by Ushgarak
And indeed I've never seen a game with a good sabre duel system.

How would they go about making a good saber duel system? We've seen real time combat in Jedi Outcast, turn based in KOTOR, first person combat wouldnt work very well with acrobatics and stuff thrown in, and BF2 is too simple for dueling. Dueling could do better with a lock on system, but then it makes it harder for multiple opponents. What kind of set up would they need?

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Outbound
How would they go about making a good saber duel system? We've seen real time combat in Jedi Outcast, turn based in KOTOR, first person combat wouldnt work very well with acrobatics and stuff thrown in, and BF2 is too simple for dueling. Dueling could do better with a lock on system, but then it makes it harder for multiple opponents. What kind of set up would they need?

Its called "the wii" finally done to perfection.... I wish it would be done to perfection with tfu, but acrobatics should be buttons on the wii-Saber where your fingers rest, and in complicated maneuvres you could push a button to start slo mo, then do you maneuvres with your saber, then it could show what you just did in real time. and the better you are with a saber, the more powerful you are in the game.

This is what I thought the wii was going to be. any move that you do, perfectly copied by the character on screen in the game.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Outbound

I am not sure it is possible in the way we envision it.

When the game 'Thief' was being designed, it was originally going to be a swordfighting simulator. It got changed to a sneak-em up. But if someone went back to the idea of a dedicated sword (in this case sabre) simulator you might get close to a workable idea, which could then be used in subsequent games.

What we need to get away from is the following:

1. Treating a sabre like a block of wood that you club someone to death with- ii.e. any notion of damage or health. Sabre fighting is a one-hit kill sport; it is all about trying to undo your opponent's guard

2. Being able to sidestep around behind your opponent continuously. The FPS model does not work for sabre duelling.

3. The idea that the Wii remote is the way forwards! This is mnaifstly not true which is why it has not been done. It is fundamentally unable to cope- it cannot simulate vital areas such as body movement and sabre lock. it is a complete myth that this is somehow the way on. In the end, anything the wii remote does for sabre controls will just be movements of the remote causing dfifferent actions on-screen- fundamentally no different to what a joypad does. I love the Wii and its controller, but it seriously cannot handle this. Id you g odwn thay route, it needs to be full VR or nothing, at which point only the fittest players would be any good which is silly, so lucky that will not be the route anyone is going down anyway. Complete dead-end.

MasterAshenVor
GOD....I AM SOOO ITCHING FOR A NEW STAR WARS GAME WHERE YOU DOGFIGHT...Seriously Rogue Squadron 1 , 2 ,3 were GOOD - TIE FIGHTER WAS AWESOME and X-WING Alliance was good too

WHAT IS LUCASARTS DOING SITTING ON THEIR ARSES ALL DAY

Where did all the good Space Dogfighting games go and i mean GOOD ONES WITH COMPREHENSIVE AI like in TIE FIGHTER and Rogue Sqadron 1 and 2

COMMON PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!!!

MAKE MORE!!!!!

AND STOP GIVING US THIS JEDI MESS IM TIRED OF IT HOW MANY TIMES CAN I SWING A LIGHTSABER BEFOR I GET SO FREAKING BOARD THAT IM READY TO TAKE A GUN TO MY HEAD!!!!!!

Tangible God
Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
GOD....I AM SOOO ITCHING FOR A NEW STAR WARS GAME WHERE YOU DOGFIGHT...Seriously Rogue Squadron 1 , 2 ,3 were GOOD - TIE FIGHTER WAS AWESOME and X-WING Alliance was good too

WHAT IS LUCASARTS DOING SITTING ON THEIR ARSES ALL DAY

Where did all the good Space Dogfighting games go and i mean GOOD ONES WITH COMPREHENSIVE AI like in TIE FIGHTER and Rogue Sqadron 1 and 2

COMMON PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!!!

MAKE MORE!!!!!

AND STOP GIVING US THIS JEDI MESS IM TIRED OF IT HOW MANY TIMES CAN I SWING A LIGHTSABER BEFOR I GET SO FREAKING BOARD THAT IM READY TO TAKE A GUN TO MY HEAD!!!!!! God... you need a hug.

Dejio
I'm with you MasterAshenVor. LucasArts should make another X-Wing flight sim game in the same vein as TIE Fighter. With today's PC graphics, that would be awesome!

But alas, sad to say, LucasArts (and Lucas himself) seems to be out of touch with their intended audience.

If they ever release another Star Wars flight sim for PC, it would probably involve more of the 'prequel' crafts than the 'original trilogy' ones.

Allankles
So far I can say Jedi Academy has come closest to getting saber combat right. What with the impressive aerobics system and a lightsaber that wasn't treated like a glowing club as is the case with TFU. I liked how a single saber throw killed your opponent and just about any significant contact with the lightsaber meant death.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Allankles
So far I can say Jedi Academy has come closest to getting saber combat right. What with the impressive aerobics system and a lightsaber that wasn't treated like a glowing club as is the case with TFU. I liked how a single saber throw killed your opponent and just about any significant contact with the lightsaber meant death. And yet at the same time if a grenade went off beside you, you still died. Compare that to KOTOR where a blast of plasma is fixed up with a medpac.

MasterAshenVor
Make More Dogfighting Games OR better Yet....Make another Republic Commando Game o.o PLEASE...Like in the Empire and Rebellion Era of The Story OR make a Mandolorian Wars Type of Game....Just Please make the Jedi Abuse Stop.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.