Call of Duty: World at War

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North

@st
This is one of the dumbest gaming decisions ive seen not involving Sony. They gained a assload of fans with CoD 4, now they are gonna go back to an unpopular setting with an inferior developer. People who dont know much about gaming who liked CoD4 will play this and be disappointed, and wont give Infinity Ward's next version a chance.

Morridini
Indeed, I've seen a lot of discussion about Call of Duty 6 around the web because people have totally discarded CoD 5.

chillmeistergen
The word that springs to mind is generic...again.

BackFire
"Hey guys! The modern setting was a great setting and probably helped push COD4 to be one of the best selling video games of 07. So let's go back to WWII".

Won't be buying it.

Neo Darkhalen
What a pity...I guess some people don't learn from the mistakes of other franchises or there own.

Lana
Won't be getting either. The reason I got and liked COD4 was because it was so different from every other generic shooter out there, and then they go back to the cookie-cutter crap?

Yeah, no.

Morridini
Also, CoD 5 isn't developed by the same people either as CoD 4.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Lana
Won't be getting either. The reason I got and liked COD4 was because it was so different from every other generic shooter out there, and then they go back to the cookie-cutter crap?

Yeah, no.

Totally disagree with you on that one.

COD4 was exactly the same as all Call of Duty games. The difference is that you play with M16's instead of Thompson machineguns and it has helicopters in it. The story was also pretty good but Call of Duty 4 is still another shooter. Just an extremely well made game.

I probably wont buy this one, but I'll play it though. There doing what they did with Call of Duty 3.

Mairuzu
come on! lets see some civil war COD laughcry

FistOfThe North
The people doing COD5 were the ones that did COD3, which i never got into. Loved 1 and 2 though. And 4 of course. Especially 4.

I played those 3 all the way through with satisfation. Part 3 was meh. maybe it's because i was so use to playing 1 and 2 on PC and that when it went to the xbox and became multiplatform i subconcously had that "now everybody has this game, geez" mentality. I honestly wanted it to stay in the PC and keep it as the PC's jewel. Not a huge fan of ports.

But then i played COD4 for the 360 a liked the game alot. I personally think it's the best call of duty game in the series. But what a way to plummet from being the best fsp on the market to making probably and potentially, the most unplayed and/or unpopular game in the genre.

But people'll still pick 5 up just cause it's COD as if the video game industry isn't already saturated with WW2 themed video games, forget fps's.

I'll try the demo, but i dunno. Something better drastically change to convince me otherwise. like incorporate Hitler into the game and make him the last leader.

FistOfThe North
Or add bizzare secret nazi weapons and aircraft the likes never seen in any video game.

And make the nazi army playable in solo player mode.

Morridini
Originally posted by Mairuzu
come on! lets see some civil war COD laughcry

Hmm....
*Imagining CoD during the American Civil War*

jaden101
Originally posted by Morridini
Hmm....
*Imagining CoD during the American Civil War*

not really a difficult task...every level would involve standing in a line with a load of other men...infront of a line of a load of other men...aiming...shooting

would probably be fun on the wii...having to reload with by pouring gunpowder into the gun and packing it down with the stopper...hahaha

ok..perhaps not

Elite Hunter
Do you these people in live in a box? I'm so sick of WW2 games. mad

Neo Darkhalen
I think people are pretty tired of Nazi's and Hitler trying to dominate the world.

FistOfThe North
My nazi body count is definetely in the 6 figure bracket, and it all started with wolfenstein for pc.

But now it's time for new prey. It should've been time since cod3 actually.

Morridini
Originally posted by jaden101
not really a difficult task...every level would involve standing in a line with a load of other men...infront of a line of a load of other men...aiming...shooting

would probably be fun on the wii...having to reload with by pouring gunpowder into the gun and packing it down with the stopper...hahaha

ok..perhaps not

If The Patriot managed to not be dull I'm sure IW could do it too.

Mairuzu
COD future warfare? blink

Morridini
Battlefield already tried that, didn't work out that well.

Elite Hunter
If they don't include the new online options (es.custom profiles/weapons set) than they will be doomed to fail.

Röland
Ugh, this bums me out. The only WW2 campaign that CoD hasn't touched on is the Pacific, so I'm guessing we will be island hopping.

jaden101
i like how everyone is slating the game before even getting so much as a sniff of it

Bloinky
THis is really disappointing to me cause I got really sick of WWII games after COD2 and didn't even bother to try COD4. Then I tried COD4 and loved it.

Röland
Originally posted by jaden101
i like how everyone is slating the game before even getting so much as a sniff of it
I'm not slating the game, just the premise of it. WW2 has been so overdone on all platforms that I'm sick of it.

Schecter
oh great...so it will be call of duty 2 part 3. roll eyes (sarcastic)

there's an extra $60 in my pocket

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Smasandian
Totally disagree with you on that one.

COD4 was exactly the same as all Call of Duty games. The difference is that you play with M16's instead of Thompson machineguns and it has helicopters in it. The story was also pretty good but Call of Duty 4 is still another shooter. Just an extremely well made game.

I probably wont buy this one, but I'll play it though. There doing what they did with Call of Duty 3.

Agreed.

Mairuzu
cod.... zombie.. warfare no expression

Morridini
I wonder if you take the time it takes to play through all WWII games and put it together, would it exceed the length of WWII?

Joe K
Gay yo

Smasandian
I wonder if you take the time it takes to play through all WWII games and put it together, would it exceed the length of WWII?

Probably not.

Deano
why dont they do a future war game. like world war 3 with new and more innotive weapons.

that would be the smart move

Morridini
Originally posted by Deano
why dont they do a future war game. like world war 3 with new and more innotive weapons.

that would be the smart move

Basicaly Red Alert 2 in FPS form I guess.

Neo Darkhalen
It would be like Red faction.

Deano
but alot better

BaneOfJedi700
make the nazi army playable.... hmmm..... imagine making a very futuristic game where you just lay back, have a beer or two, launch a nuke or two...

DarkC
I like modern warfare.

ragesRemorse
you know what WWII shooters need?

Dinosaurs with laser mounted canons and a bigfoot ninja clan. Thats what WWII shooters need.

I would play the shit out of that game

Barker
Edit: Oops. mmm

Blax_Hydralisk
I would seriously get this game if you could play as the Nazis in single player campaign.

Seriously. The chance to kill Canadians, Brits, Americans, Brits, Polish, and Aussies is just too good to be true.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I would seriously get this game if you could play as the Nazis in single player campaign.

Seriously. The chance to kill Canadians, Brits, Americans, Brits, Polish, and Aussies is just too good to be true.

liberals wouldn't like that very much

Schecter
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
liberals wouldn't like that very much

fail

Classic NES
Originally posted by @st
This is one of the dumbest gaming decisions ive seen not involving Sony. They gained a assload of fans with CoD 4, now they are gonna go back to an unpopular setting with an inferior developer. People who dont know much about gaming who liked CoD4 will play this and be disappointed, and wont give Infinity Ward's next version a chance.

Pretty much.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Schecter
fail

liberal

Smasandian
I dont think its that retarded to change the setting, I think its more retarded to continue the same game.

They should keep Call of Duty series on the lay low for awhile, because another Call of Duty, even if its a modern setting will become tired and outdated.

They should start another franchise, or something different. I dont think I would be excited to play another Call of Duty game.

SaTsuJiN
They should start another franchise, or something different. I dont think I would be excited to play another Call of Duty game.

call of duty 2525~

4YmnG2pzVgQ

oh snaps!

Impediment
I really hope that Infinity Ward will head up COD 5 and not go back in time to WWII. Biiiiiiiiig mistake, if you ask me.

Morridini
Originally posted by Impediment
I really hope that Infinity Ward will head up COD 5 and not go back in time to WWII

That's too late, it's already confirmed that CoD 5 is WWII and not by IW.

Neo Darkhalen
It makes you wonder, why do they makes these awful decisions?

Smasandian
It will still sell well.

I dont understand the big deal about this. It will still sell well.

Neo Darkhalen
regardless I won't be getting it, in fact COD4 is the only COD game I own or have played, and I think it shall stay this way.

Elite Hunter
It will still sell well.

I dont understand the big deal about this. It will still sell well.

We are tired of playing WW2 games.

General G
Well...I really liked COD 1 when it first came out on xbox, it really made me happy. Then I really liked and bought COD 2...didn't buy COD 3, but borrowed from a friend and beat it, nothing huge but not bad. I bought COD 4 and it was great, loved it. Odds are...I will probably buy this one too...especially if you can play as a German.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
We are tired of playing WW2 games.

The thing is that the difference between Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 is purely the setting.

It's still going to be a great FPS, no matter the setting.

I actually think the game would of been great if IW did another WW2 shooter, but with update graphics. I would play it.

SpadeKing
unless they can simulate the thousands of soldiers on screen at once in D-Day I'm not buying it

General G
That would be epic.

Neo Darkhalen
Then it would be dynasty warriors of the future.

Blax_Hydralisk
The thing is that the difference between Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 is purely the setting.

You can say that for any FPS, though. Most FPS's follow a similar forumla. The biggest differences is the setting. Instead of a barret on a rifle.. you have an energy sword. Instead of a single shot rifle you have a sniper rifle, or a carbine.

Very rough translations, but you get my point.

Smasandian
I'm sorry but not really.

Halo is different than Call of Duty. They dont follow the same formula at all.
The only thing that is the same with Halo and COD is that you shoot people, but the game is completely different.

The difference between Call of Duty 1, 2 and 3 and COD4 is pure setting. Some modern guns and helicopters and instead of shooting a turret in a modern plane, your shooting planes down in an B-17.

b|anka
I think they should stick to modern(sequel) or switch over to vietnam(jungle). Either way i still trust that Treyarch will make the game somewhat good.

If they call of duty 5 ain't a sequel to cod4 then cod6 will.

SpadeKing
vietnam would be a better idea ermm

desert storm or atleast let us play as terrorist in modern warfare

Smasandian
They would never make a game about being a terrorist.

Not going to happen. Just look at the title.

Maybe as a German but thats highly unlikely.

coolmovies
when is this out ?

Joe K
Originally posted by coolmovies
when is this out ? Good Q.

Outbound
November 26th, according to my latest PC mag.

Joe K
Ohhh, tryin to compete with gears 2?

Outbound
That's too late, it's already confirmed that CoD 5 is WWII and not by IW.

Where is it confirmed that its definitely WW2? If you're going by the job description in the first post, I wouldnt jump to conclusion until theres an official statement. That job description could be for anything, it doesnt specify CoD, they could be making a WW2 game as well as another CoD game. Unlikely, but still, they havent confirmed anything solid.

Originally posted by SpadeKing
unless they can simulate the thousands of soldiers on screen at once in D-Day I'm not buying it

Next gen D-Day would be ****ing badass. I'd love to do a full scale Omaha Beach level again.

Blax_Hydralisk
They would never make a game about being a terrorist.

Not going to happen. Just look at the title.

Maybe as a German but thats highly unlikely.

And THAT, is why I will never buy a Call of Duty game.

Morridini
Originally posted by Outbound
Where is it confirmed that its definitely WW2? If you're going by the job description in the first post, I wouldnt jump to conclusion until theres an official statement. That job description could be for anything, it doesnt specify CoD, they could be making a WW2 game as well as another CoD game. Unlikely, but still, they havent confirmed anything solid.

Odd, could have sworn I had a source for this, but can't find it atm.

Smasandian
And THAT, is why I will never buy a Call of Duty game.

Ok. Suit yourself.

Blax_Hydralisk
Maybe I will. So ha.

Morridini
So, it seems like they confirmed it will not take place in WWII: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190641.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Simply a "new" setting, what could that be? Vietnam, Korea, something?

Neo Darkhalen
We shall know more when we get closer to the deadline.

High Priest
Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!

High Priest
Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!

Smasandian
I'm going to say the Pacific War.

Morridini
The Pacific War?
Wikipedia....
Aha, still is WWII though.

Bloinky
But its with the Japenese not the Germans for once.

Smasandian
The Pacific War?
Wikipedia....
Aha, still is WWII though.

But its a different theatre.

And the article doesnt state that it wont be in WW2, but an entirely different theatre.

Which would make logical sense that it could be the Pacific War, or Vietnam, or just completely new like COD4.

Morridini
Yeah, that might work out well. And I guess it would also give them a lot more freedom, as that part of the war is not as well known for the Average Joe/Jane as the European deal.

Smasandian
No, that's true, but it also could hurt them because people are less likely to enjoy it if they never knew about the battles.

Personally, if a developer was going to do a Pacific War game, it would be cool if they used the CryEngine 2 for it.

@st
Official: Call of Duty: World at War

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6192277.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Co-op and vehicles, sounds like they just want to be like Halo.

Morridini
Well, I'll wait and see how this goes on, however I think it's safe to quote Obi-Wan here:

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror."

@st
Haha, nice. stick out tongue

Mairuzu
hmm

jaden101
cant say i'll be purchasing what shall hereby be referred to as "Call of Duty fail"

@st
I dont think the spinoffs earlier and CoD3 being done by Treyarch were a bad idea, because back then the series wasnt really a main stream AAA title, it was basically a PC hit. Now after CoD4 has blown up to Halo/GTA levels, I think this is a horrible decision. There will be tons of players who just started with CoD4 who are gonna be massively disappointed.

b|anka
So I'm guessing this will not be installment #5 but sorta like a spin-off? Either way, I think we should give Treyarch a chance because they will be using COD'4 graphic engine and they had at least 2 years to work on it.

Nemesis X
NO MORE GODDANG WWII GAMES!!! There are too many of those.
Call of Duty 5 should have been left off after the events in Call of Duty 4.

ragesRemorse
i want a shooter where time traveling soldiers with futuristic weapons end up getting stuck in the civil war or some ancient civilization. That is a better idea than revisiting WWII again

Nemesis X
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i want a shooter where time traveling soldiers with futuristic weapons end up getting stuck in the civil war or some ancient civilization. That is a better idea than revisiting WWII again

Agreed

Morridini
Maybe a CoD game where they visit all the major wars? In one game pay a visit to the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm, WWIII, only problem is that this would be a way to big project for one game, still would be nice though.

Smasandian
I got a question.

What the **** do people want for CoD5?

Morridini
The general mood seem to be "not WWII".

Blax_Hydralisk
I have no problem with it being WWII.

Only as long as I can hunt down and kill Americans, French, British, and everyone else who stands up to the Nazi war machine, including those who don't, like the Jews.

Dark-Jaxx
I have no problem with it being WWII.

Only as long as I can hunt down and kill Americans, French, British, and everyone else who stands up to the Nazi war machine, including those who don't, like the Jews. haermm

@st
The general mood seem to be "not WWII".

Agreed. stick out tongue

Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms, CoD, and then whatever smaller games are set there, we are just sick of it. They have been making games longer than the actual war lasted. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Smasandian
So we have now an futuristic shooter that copies every Halo clone, or how about an modern day setting shooter that copies every tactical shooter out there.

People complain that there are too many WW2 games out there, but there is just the same amount of modern day, and futuristic shooters out there too.

I dont really care what war its set in. If its good, I'm going to play it.

If Infinity Ward does it, your not going to play it just because its based on WW2?

Blax_Hydralisk
That's a very good point, Smas.

I think that the shoot-em up genre is really overdone right now. People are running out f ideas, and rehashes of the same game with a different title are coming way too fast.

I, personally, want to see another good RTS or Oblivion-esque RPG for a console. No more shoot-em ups though.

@st
So we have now an futuristic shooter that copies every Halo clone, or how about an modern day setting shooter that copies every tactical shooter out there.

People complain that there are too many WW2 games out there, but there is just the same amount of modern day, and futuristic shooters out there too.

If Infinity Ward does it, your not going to play it just because its based on WW2?

Modern day and futuristic settings arent nearly as limited. WWII was a 6 year(I think) period, and we have already seen all the big moments in multiple games. You can do a number of different scenarios in the modern day, and the future has endless possibilities.

Nemesis X
I dont have a problem with shooter games in wars just as long as it isnt based on WWII. I prefer the wars you see on Halo, or CoD 4.

Seriously, CoD 5 should be a sequel to Modern Warfare. The plot can be that someone has taken Alazan's place as leader of the terrorists or something.

Icy Ninja
I probably wont get this game since it takes place in world war 2, I'm so tired of the genre

I hope they make another modern warfare game like call of duty modern warfare 2

b|anka

I totally agree with you. There is probably more modern day shooters than WWII. On top of that, none other have done the pacific side of WWII(besides the MoH Pacific assault) so it will be something new.

BackFire
Shoulda been Vietnam, imo.

ragesRemorse

The thing about having a futuristic setting in a shooter game is that the possibilities are endless. From weapons, scenario's and even social commentary. WWII has no room for experimentation. We have all fired the weapons and driven the vehicles used in WWII all to much. We have all lived the desperation of the allie forces ad-nauseum.
Now, if someone had some balls to break away from the WWII template and try something different as far as being able to choose sides and decide the outcome. It may be worth revisiting again. I know several games have tried this, but it has never quite worked. Resistance; the fall of man, is the best example of this.
I do agree with you, though, FPS games in general are redundant, but having games set in modern times or in the future offer much more variance than a WWII game, i believe.

Smasandian
I do agree that WW2 as a setting is stale, but if a company can make a game that is really good than I'm going to play it.

For me, as a history buff, playing battles that I could never fight in, or witness or be part of from another side of ocean is something that intrigues me. I like the idea of playing in somebody shoes 68 years ago, fighting in a famous battle that will be remember 200 years from now instead of generic Iraq level with stalls with fruit on them, BUT I HAVE A M16 with grenade launcher on it, no game has that gun!!!

I like to see what people had to go through back in the 40's and how crazy it was. More intriguing than Halo 10: When Aliens Attack Again, or another original IP that rips off James Cameron's Aliens marines.

What I would like is a developer like Infinity Ward use the Crytech2 engine to make a WW2 game. That would blow my ****ing mind.

ragesRemorse
I do agree that WW2 as a setting is stale, but if a company can make a game that is really good than I'm going to play it.

For me, as a history buff, playing battles that I could never fight in, or witness or be part of from another side of ocean is something that intrigues me. I like the idea of playing in somebody shoes 68 years ago, fighting in a famous battle that will be remember 200 years from now instead of generic Iraq level with stalls with fruit on them, BUT I HAVE A M16 with grenade launcher on it, no game has that gun!!!

I like to see what people had to go through back in the 40's and how crazy it was. More intriguing than Halo 10: When Aliens Attack Again, or another original IP that rips off James Cameron's Aliens marines.

What I would like is a developer like Infinity Ward use the Crytech2 engine to make a WW2 game. That would blow my ****ing mind.

I agree, that it is surreal playing a war game where the battles are real battles of significance. The thing that sets good WWII games apart from the mediocre and bad are of course gameplay and graphics, but even more so, i believe, is the human factor and history involved. The original Medal of honor games were incredible in that manner. Starting each mission out with actual footage.
I forget which game it was, but i remember storming the beaches of normandy for the first time in a video game and it was memorable.

I do not know why WWII is such a point of focus for historically inspired video games though. I guess it is because they are lucrative. As much as we complain about them, we will still buy and play them if they are good. I am infatuated by the history of WWII, but as a gamer, i would like some flavor. Call of duty did a great job in their WWII games. In Cod 3 they were able to get the voices from the HBO series, Band of brothers, and write a script for the characters which would be believable coming from their mouths at that time.

Personally, i believe one of the reasons developers constantly choose WWII as their backdrop is because it instantly initiates a connection with the gamer, especially American gamers. WWII is glorified to Americans from as early as the sixth grade in schools. It is an incredible underdog story and the situation is already known. The developers do not have to waste time on writing or character development. The gravity of the scenario's you play through in WWII games are already known, they do not need to be explained through story or introduction, just a quick briefing by the SGT. I think any developers which base their games in WWII need to start taking a more cinematic approach and introduce some character development. It is all about the fun factor at the end of the day though, but no matter how fun a game is. If it has the same control system and backdrop of a dozen other games. It is hardly memorable and that is why FPS games, WWII games especially, need some more writing. COD 3 hinted at making that leap.

Smasandian
Well I hate to admit it, but Call of Duty 4 is exactly the same as all the other Call of Duty games.

It's not the setting that makes WW2 games stale, its the abundance of developers making them knowing that people will buy them no matter how shitty it is.

Look at Brothers in Arms, a great WW2 shooter. Personally, I loved being able to play the D-Day invasion as a squad leader who can move his units around inside a world that is almost exact replica of Normandy in the 40's.

I rather play that than a game set in modern time where you shoot Arabs and looking like Black Hawk Down. How many times do I have to go near a RPG'ed Black Hawk.

Morridini
I would have loved to see someone trying to make a realistic World War III game, they could for instance follow the Red Alert 2 plot (minus the supernatural stuff). Start the game as either Allies or Soviet, fighting in Washington, New York etc etc either as attacker or defender, and as the war progresses, we would move the battlefield across the world (say if the US are winning, the beginning of the game would take place in the US, moving eastward to Europe, and then finally crashing down on Moscow etc).

Blax_Hydralisk
Ya know what was cool? That game that came out recently about an alternate past where the Nazi's beat Britain and were invading America. It was called "Turning Point: Fall of Liberty" or something similar. The game itself was crap, not even a good rental, but the storyline's awesome. I'd either like to be the Nazi's myself, or maybe fight them in a different setting then the usual beach head/destroyed French cathedral/ pacific island. Fighting Nazi's or Americans through San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge or through New York would be awesome if done right.

And Smas, I don't really understand how shooting the same Arab next to the downed Black Hawk with your M-16 a thousand times is really any different from shooting that German bastard who's defending that anti-aircraft gun with your single-shot rifle a thousand times...

Smasandian
I didnt say its not different.

My point is that people take WW2 as a stale genre, while modern shooters are just as stale, but the historical advantage that WW2 provides makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Because I rather fight a historic battle than a fictional one.

Blax_Hydralisk
Ah. Yeah, that makes sense. I'm the opposite, but to each his own, yeah.

Dark-Jaxx
I just like good games. I'll rent it, see what it is like, and might buy it.

b|anka
Did anyone see the game trailer? It was on Xbox live Marketplace for awhile, if not you could find it on youtube.

Graphics looks okayish.

Superboy Prime
I saw it. Looked good graphics-wise, but it isn't interesting me.

Smasandian
The graphics are using the updated version of CoD4 engine so its going to be the same graphics.

Its just really dark in the trailer, but I think the graphics are going to be awesome.

Hopefully it doesnt turn out like MoH:Pacific Assault. The Pacific War would work really well with multiple branching paths, and not strictly linear like all other CoD games.

Like I said before, the Crytech Engine 2 would work amazingly well with shooters based on wars.

Menetnashté
I might rent it. Looks like it's going to suck. Sure as hell not going to buy it for a flame thrower and climbing a tree. If I see enough stuff to impress me it's a slight possibility that I'll buy it. But I'm so tired of WWII it's not even funny. COD3 I didn't even bother to finish playing it bored me so much, I think this will be better but I don't have high expectations. I wish they would've kept up with the modern stuff. Heck I would've even settled for a Red Dawn scenario, a few years back I would've never thought killing Nazi's would get old. I was wrong.

General G
I will most likely buy it, personally, I still really enjoy the WWII era. Especially now they are doing the Pacific Assault. Should be epic. I love WWII games.

Smasandian
I do too.

My favourite gun is the Thompson from Call of Duty.

Bluesteel

Morridini
Nice look at the Co-op gameplay: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38101.html

But considering the recent announcement of Call of Duty 6 being released in 09 made by IW I might just skip this game altogether.

Smasandian
Just rent it.

10 hours of gameplay on a rainy weekend.

Mr.blanka
Anyone excited for this game? I know some of you guys have are not too fond of WWII and Treyarch but come on admit it. It looks damn nice.

I actually prefer the new WWII theater.

Nemesis X
NO MORE WWII GAMES!!! It's the same ******* thing every time! The same enemy, the same weapons, the same vehicles! Stop it already or I'll go WWII on your butts if I ever get the chance!

Mr.blanka
Originally posted by Nemesis X
NO MORE WWII GAMES!!! It's the same ******* thing every time! The same enemy, the same weapons, the same vehicles! Stop it already or I'll go WWII on your butts if I ever get the chance! It's really obvious that you haven't heard about this game. This is a whole different theater, bro. wink

You think WWII is over done? Look at how many modern day shooters there are.

NonSensi-Klown
In modern day shooters your enemy isn't always the same two races... dressed the same way. no expression

Game doesn't look bad, though.

Dark-Jaxx
Nigga I don't care what color or outfit the people I kill are. no expression

But yeah, looks alright...For Call of Duty I mean.

NonSensi-Klown
Meh. I do. I want to be a Nazi killing jews and British Soldiers. Perhaps there can be a mini-game where you raid a village or small town and you get points for shooting fleeing women and children in the alotted time.

no expression

Inaccurate US WWII movies = win.

But srsly I'd like to be a Nazi or Japanese soldier.

Outbound
4 player co-op, sweet. w00t

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/917/917349p1.html

Hmm, reading back through the thread, I wonder how many people here will change their mind and buy it? hmm

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Meh. I do. I want to be a Nazi killing jews and British Soldiers. Perhaps there can be a mini-game where you raid a village or small town and you get points for shooting fleeing women and children in the alotted time. That my friend, would be awesome, I cannot lie.

Mr.blanka
Anyone get the chance to play the beta?

Mr.blanka
Okay, I just downloaded the beta and played it for about 30 mins. I don't know, I really have mixed feelings about this game now. I mean it doesn't feel like cod4's gameplay. Feels more like treyarch's cod3 tbh.
But then again I only played half an hour so I shouldn't say much.

jaden101
it was made by treyarch rather than infinity ward so i guess it would feel more like 3 than 4...

Morridini
Just got into the multiplayer beta, however I'm not at my 360 until monday, so first then will I get a chance to try it.

Mr.blanka
http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=43

Zombies!!!! XD

Morridini
Ok I finally got around to playing World at War.
It's a beta after all, so obviously things might change and hopefully some of the bits I saw (someone camping under the ground) will disappear before release.

First off, the controls are identical to CoD 4, I could just jump straight into the action.

Playing the game felt very much like playing CoD 4, just on new maps and new modes, pretty fun after having played CoD 4 for soo long, I welcome any change.

I am no big fan of the starting weapons this time around, whereas in CoD 4 the very first weapons are still nice to use at lvl 55, I feel like I often loose a 1v1 because of too weak weapons, hopefully it's just me being unfamiliar with these weapons.

And I can finally say for certain, that dogs>helicopters. When you get 7 kills in a row you can call in a pack of dogs to help you, not only do they kill you very fast, they also distract you (the CoD 4 helicopter is only at one spot, here you will hear barking from all directions making you very paranoid) so that the people on the dogs team can easily kill you. I've gotten some very nice kills because the people I fight have been busing fighting dogs.

Also, having Jack Bauer yelling out that the Recon airplane (UAV) is over us and that artillery is incoming etc is just hilarious. He's still not yelled "damn it" yet though.

FistOfThe North
Yea i'll get this game for Windows.

It'll look (way) better, and it's $10 cheaper, than the 360 version.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Mr.blanka
Anyone excited for this game? I know some of you guys have are not too fond of WWII and Treyarch but come on admit it. It looks damn nice.

I actually prefer the new WWII theater.

Treyarch blew chunks with CoD: 3

However this time they pretty much made a mod of COD: 4 so there wasnt much to screw up. Im a fan of 4 and enjoy 5 so far its a nice change of pace.

FistOfThe North
well, it came out today.

anyone get it for 360.

MIŠT
Oh crap, it did too! Thought it was next week...sweet, day off work tomorrow too. w00t

Impediment
I'll probably end up buying this game. COD4 was too sick, and this game, although it reverted back to WW f*cking II, looks like it'll be really fun with online matches.

Nemesis X
What's this crap I keep hearing about German zombies in this game?

Morridini
Why would it be crap? I think it sounds pretty fun.

Kosta
I've always been a fan of WWII games. CoD4 was wicked, so if 5 retains the same dynamic feel to the game play as 4 did, then I'll be a happy chappy. smile

Neo Darkhalen
I'm getting this game, but only for the multiplayer, got to say from watching vids and the beta, was pretty damn awesome, i won't play the campaign like i did in 4 though, probably speedrun it on the easiest difficulty to unlock Zombie Nazi attack.

Nemesis X
I wonder how wicked World at War would've been if the Nazi zombies were to be part of the story mode instead of a mini game.

FistOfThe North
Zombies...

I thought cod was about realism. Reenactments.

I say leave all that bs to wolfenstein and keep it real with cod.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Zombies...

I thought cod was about realism. Reenactments.

I say leave all that bs to wolfenstein and keep it real with cod.

The Zombie mode is just a bonus feature....and a pretty damn good one IMO (I realise it's a gimmick), at first it was the only reason why I was going to buy COD5, since playing the beta I'm going to buy it for both the Zombie multiplayer mode and the regular multiplayer, I'll just speedrun through the campaign, i won't play the campaign like i did with COD4...but i think this Zombie mode is just an extra feature to try and keep the game popular and fresh.

Again i think it's a fun idea and i hope to see it in COD6 along with a map editor! (Also I'd rather fight Nazi Zombies then fight in a realistic WWII for the 9000th time!)

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
The Zombie mode is just a bonus feature....and a pretty damn good one IMO (I realise it's a gimmick), at first it was the only reason why I was going to buy COD5, since playing the beta I'm going to buy it for both the Zombie multiplayer mode and the regular multiplayer, I'll just speedrun through the campaign, i won't play the campaign like i did with COD4...but i think this Zombie mode is just an extra feature to try and keep the game popular and fresh.

Again i think it's a fun idea and i hope to see it in COD6 along with a map editor! (Also I'd rather fight Nazi Zombies then fight in a realistic WWII for the 9000th time!)

i dunno. I just think that zombies and call of duty just doesn't fit at all. (in any way) Even if it's a complementary feature. The only way i'd accept zombies in cod is if it was in part 4 and it was playable via some arcade machine.

And I thought the game would've been just as popular still without the zombies. It's been getting praises and this has been without the mention of zombies. Hell i've seen screenshots and gameplay footage and it looks great. I didn't see any zombies though.

And if you really don't wanna play realistic ww2 fsp's but ones with nazi zombies stay away from cod and wait for the new wolfenstein game due out in 2009.

But to each his own. If you truly wanna play this cod partly cause of the zombies; cause you're getting tired of the same 'ol same 'ol. Have at it.

Peach
Realistic WWII games have been done to death. I don't think an extra mode (that I think is hilariously entertaining) is a bad thing. If nothing else, it'll do something to help set COD5 apart from the billion other WWII shooters. Because really, the only reason this game has the hype it does is because COD4 turned out as good as it did.

I'll probably pick it up soon myself. And play with Zombie Nazis because that's just funny.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>