Big Movies You Love, but the Majority Hates.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
What are some big movies that got bad reps or reviews, that you actually enjoyed once you watched them?

-AC

sithsaber408
The Island.

I liked that very much.

MildPossession
I think a lot of people were disappointed with Silent Hill(with Radha Mitchell in the lead), I really enjoyed it actually. Was a fan of the director's first film, so was happy when I heard he was directing it.

jaden101
i liked both of the films mentioned already as well

FF: spirits within
matrix sequels

Röland
Originally posted by MildPossession
I think a lot of people were disappointed with Silent Hill(with Radha Mitchell in the lead), I really enjoyed it actually. Was a fan of the director's first film, so was happy when I heard he was directing it.
I went with a group of people to see Silent Hill and they all hated it, I was the only one who liked it.

Reign of Fire

ragesRemorse
Waterworld
King Arthur
Lady in the water
A nightmare on elm street 2

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by jaden101

FF: spirits within
matrix sequels

I really dont understand why the fvck people dont like, Spirits within. I remember going into the film expecting a tame little cartoon. I came out thrilled that i had discovered a genuinely sound Sci-fi movie with incredible effects.
Although, i love the matrix series. I can understand why the sequels would not appeal to people, even if they are sci-fi fans.

sime
the harry potter movies (i'm talking about 3-5) i went to see with my firends. well need less they all didn't like it very much. and i was i only one in our after movie depat that stud up for it.

Blax_Hydralisk
Cloverfield, Return of the Sith, the Phantom Menace, Matrix: Revolutions (My favourite of the three).

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Cloverfield, Return of the Sith, the Phantom Menace, Matrix: Revolutions (My favourite of the three). Just a note: majority don't hate Phantom Menace or Revenge of the Sith.

Both are in the top 10 films of all time.

They are only hated on the internet. smile

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Just a note: majority don't hate Phantom Menace or Revenge of the Sith.

They are only hated on the internet. smile

A majority of SF fans dwell on the net.

Even I know that The Phantom Menace is hated or shunned by the fanbase, simply because of Jar Jar Binks.

=AC

pr1983
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
A majority of SF fans dwell on the net.

Even I know that The Phantom Menace is hated or shunned by the fanbase, simply because of Jar Jar Binks.

=AC

jar jar never bothered me that much, i never understood why people hated him so much...

matrix reloaded... at the very least the action sequences are just awesome imo... critics hated it over here...

return of the jedi is my favourite star wars movie, yet gets lots of flak... not hated i know, but still...

blade 2 was another... the rush hour series...

exanda kane
Originally posted by sithsaber408

And where did you get that bollocks? Box office gross?

celestialdemon
As far as blockbusters go:

Bruce Almighty
The Mummy
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
National Treasure

DethRose
I love Amadeus.

FistOfThe North
- Star Wars Ep. 1 and 3 - seen these 2 more than any other movie this decade.

- The Matrix sequels - The best sci fi concept in film ever, i think.

- P.O.T.C. 2 - Wathced it twice in a row on dvd once, that's how much i liked it.

- Superman Returns - I've only met one person personally out of many that liked the film.

- Daredevil - Haven't met anyone that like that one but i liked it alot. Even went to watch it at theatres. hm. 5yrs ago yesterday actually. 2/14/o3(?) think it was 'o3

- War of the Worlds

- Scary movie 1, 2, and 5.

- Jason X

- Gangs of New York

- Freddy vS Jason

- "Punisher" (w/Dolph Lundren)

- Spiderman 1

- Ace Ventura

- Dinsney's Tarzan, Cars

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do most people hate Armageddon? If they do, then that gets my nod because I love that big, stupid cheese-ball.

RedAlertv2
It seems like the vast majority of people around here disliked Cloverfield. I thought it was great.

Quiero Mota
American Me. I think its the greatest and most underrated prison flick of all time. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's similar to American History X except the protagonist is Hispanic, and instead of the Aryan Brotherhood, its about the Mexican Mafia. If you're a fan of prison/gangster flicks, American Me is a definite must-see.

I also think The Shawshenk Redemption is extremely overrated to the point of making me sick. Even in 1994, a guy trying to escape from prison wasn't a new premise to cinema. And Morgan Freeman always has to play the magical negro stock-character in every film he appears in.

Strangelove
I can't really think of any....

Majority is a pretty big number. If a majority hates it, there must be something wrong with it.

Strangelove
Evil Dead is the best I can come up with.

I liked Matrix 2 and 3, too.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I also think The Shawshenk Redemption is extremely overrated to the point of making me sick. Even in 1994, a guy trying to escape from prison wasn't a new premise to cinema. And Morgan Freeman always has to play the magical negro stock-character in every film he appears in.

The premise of the movie has nothing to do with people's fondness towards it. The reason so many people love it is because of its heart and soul. Add to that some excellent cinematography and note-perfect acting.

BackFire
Yep.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Strangelove
Evil Dead is the best I can come up with.

Thats a new one to me the mojority hating 'The Evil Dead'

Bad Boy
Pearl Harbor and War of the Worlds

If anyone says Alien Resurrection.. I won't be happy!

grey fox
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
It seems like the vast majority of people around here disliked Cloverfield. I thought it was great.

Same HereOriginally posted by FistOfThe North
- Star Wars Ep. 1

- Superman Returns - I've only met one person personally out of many that liked the film.

- Daredevil - Haven't met anyone that like that one but i liked it alot. Even went to watch it at theatres. hm. 5yrs ago yesterday actually. 2/14/o3(?) think it was 'o3

- War of the Worlds

- Jason X

- Freddy vS Jason

- Spiderman 1

- Dinsney's Tarzan, Cars

SW Ep 1 is pretty good, Binks is a loathsome idea created 'for the kids' with unfunny scenes and a sheer aura of annoyance. Then again any film that has up to 4 reedits is good for me.

Matrix sequels weren't....bad...to me, but felt mediocre save for the fight scenes.

Superman Returns. If you ignore the campy Luthor the it is a nice little gem, featuring less focus on his powers and more on his interaction with people and the public.

I REALLY don't understand why people diss Daredevil...really I don't.

I can't really talk about WotW considering I was a big fan of the book, thus i'd love it even if it was about cows taking a shit.

Jason X was cheesy, but in a fun way, same with FvJ.

Spiderman 1 ? WTF

Tarzan was great ! Cars was a little sappy, but the slick visuals got me.

I'll also add Ang Lee's Hulk to the list.

MildPossession
I enjoyed The Hulk too, looking forwards so much to Norton's!

Ha ha, I enjoyed Alien Resurrection actually smile

Strangelove
Originally posted by Kazenji
Thats a new one to me the mojority hating 'The Evil Dead' Because Evil Dead is a "cult classic" it is, by definition, hated or at least unkown to the majority.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
The premise of the movie has nothing to do with people's fondness towards it. The reason so many people love it is because of its heart and soul. Add to that some excellent cinematography and note-perfect acting.

I never said I thought it sucked. I enjoyed it and think its a good movie, but how it consistently makes "Greatest Films of All Time" lists is beyond me. Especially when you consider that Morgan Freeman played the same character in that movie as he as in every other one he's been in.

Just like the Beatles, Las Vegas and In-N-Out, The Shawshenk Redemption is overrated.

papabeard

Majority is a pretty big number. If a majority hates it, there must be something wrong with it.

Not always............

I thought The Island was ok, cant think of any others right now, and I enjoyed Alien Ressurection also, and Alien 3 that gets a lot of flack

The Grey Fox
"Tremors" is highly underrated, many people dislike it cause they think it's a crappy horror movie, rather than a spoof/homage.

Rogue Jedi
Because Evil Dead is a "cult classic" it is, by definition, hated or at least unkown to the majority. I can watch Ash kicking ass with his boomstick all day long.

MildPossession
Tremors is a classic!

Robtard
Originally posted by RedAlertv2

Na, just a few you had imagined it would be some cookie-cutter giant-monster-attacks-city film, ala Godzilla. They simply can not understand the premise of the film.

It's similar to saying you hated The Godfather, because it wasn't a romantic-comedy.

Alpha Centauri
I definitely have to give a nod to The Hulk.

I can see why people didn't like it, but similarly I don't think it deserved to get ripped.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I definitely have to give a nod to The Hulk.

I can see why people didn't like it, but similarly I don't think it deserved to get ripped.

-AC I liked the Hulk, it kept me captured from beginning to end. I didnt like the fantastic four movies, though.

WrathfulDwarf
The Rocketeer

Batman and Robin

Waterworld

Battlefield Earth

and I can't think of others.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The Rocketeer

Batman and Robin

Waterworld

Battlefield Earth

and I can't think of others. All sick ...

GOOD: Sin city, Legends of the fall, Underworld I and II, Batman begins, Children of men, Boondock saints, Desperado.

WrathfulDwarf
nvm.

Rogue Jedi
nvm....what?

WrathfulDwarf
You prove my point.

Rogue Jedi
you really should elaborate on that, but whatever.

MildPossession
Ugh, I remember seeing Batman and Robin at the cinema...

Rogue Jedi
I saw it there too.

SnakeEyes
- Cloverfield
- The Island
- Revenge of the Sith
- Peter Jackson's King Kong
- War of the Worlds
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- Apocalypto
- The Fountain

Impediment
Daredevil
Predator 2
Rocly Horror Picture Show
The Fountian
Hulk
.....to name a few.

Mark Question
Originally posted by MildPossession
Tremors is a classic!

I'll back u on that 1. Tremors ruled.

exanda kane
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

- The Fountain

One of my favourites that 'un. I can understand peoples stick for it, but I just love watching the way the stories bounce around together in awkward ways, and especially when they're brought together in those montages. The score is beautiful too, although it's hard to stay sincere when calling music beautiful. I love the way you only garner small snippets of the films premise for certain seconds and then you lose it again. Great film.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Impediment
Daredevil
Predator 2
Rocly Horror Picture Show
The Fountian
Hulk
.....to name a few.

People hate the Rocky Horror Picture Show?! Blasphemy shock

Robtard
Originally posted by exanda kane
One of my favourites that 'un. I can understand peoples stick for it, but I just love watching the way the stories bounce around together in awkward ways, and especially when they're brought together in those montages. The score is beautiful too, although it's hard to stay sincere when calling music beautiful. I love the way you only garner small snippets of the films premise for certain seconds and then you lose it again. Great film.

What, you couldn't follow the film for more than a few seconds, seriously?

exanda kane
Could see that coming. Mr.Roboto come to steal ze show again. But to answer your question, seriously, I can follow the film perfectly well. I was simply expressing my enjoyment of the film and the way in which it treats quite a simple story of mortality in such a complex way, but I guess that was lost on some simpletons. End of really.

Robtard
Originally posted by exanda kane
Could see that coming. Mr.Roboto come to steal ze show again. But to answer your question, seriously, I can follow the film perfectly well. I was simply expressing my enjoyment of the film and the way in which it treats quite a simple story of mortality in such a complex way, but I guess that was lost on some simpletons. End of really.

Of course you could. What you're saying now is contradictory to what you originally said, which is what I thought and why I asked the question.

I also enjoyed the film, but I can just say that, without fluffing it full of nonsense.

Your Guy Ritchie "ze" is over used.

exanda kane
Calm down jimmy, spiteful isn't the only path you have availablle.

Robtard
Nice, resort to the making false claims, how typical of you.

Impediment
Can we please stop the back & forth here, guys, and get back on topic?

exanda kane
Heh, I'm really not interested in being an outlet for some kind of repressed anger at society, so please, hit me with what you got. I just want to carry on with the discussion.

(And if it really matters, then I was originally referring to all the symbolism and parallels drawn in the story)

Edit: Hadn't refreshed when the moderator hit.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
Can we please stop the back & forth here, guys, and get back on topic?

No problem, fascist. We do have the utmost respect for each other though, Exandor and me.

I liked the Dolph Lungren Punisher, which has terrible reviews. Though I doubt it was a blockbuster.

aciam
The Island and Revenge of the Sith

MildPossession
I enjoyed The Island also. Music score is fantastic.

Robtard
Children of Men is another movie that recieved little acclaim, but I thought was great, starts off slow; after the first 20-25 mins though, bam, a good movie.

RAMANMD
yaa buddy ..i like this thread possted by you..their are many movies which i like but disliked by media or others...
some of the movie are:-
Mystery Men (1999)
Reign of Fire. (2002)
The Whole Ten Yards and
Serenity...................

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do most people hate Armageddon? If they do, then that gets my nod because I love that big, stupid cheese-ball.

I love it. That, and Con Air. smile

Blax_Hydralisk
Armageddon was a great movie, imo.

SkinWalker
Almost every movie I've seen.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by RAMANMD
yaa buddy ..i like this thread possted by you..their are many movies which i like but disliked by media or others...
some of the movie are:-
Mystery Men (1999)
Reign of Fire. (2002)
The Whole Ten Yards and
Serenity...................

I thought most people like reign of fire. That movie was great.

Lady Ellie

Toku King
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
- Star Wars Ep. 1 and 3 - seen these 2 more than any other movie this decade.

- P.O.T.C. 2 - Wathced it twice in a row on dvd once, that's how much i liked it.

- War of the Worlds

- Scary movie 1, 2, and 5.

- Jason X

- Gangs of New York

- Freddy vS Jason

- "Punisher" (w/Dolph Lundren)

- Spiderman 1

- Ace Ventura

- Dinsney's Tarzan, Cars

"Scary Movie" and "Spider-Man" got immense positive reviews.

ragesRemorse
so did, gangs of new york, Tarzan, cars, war of the worlds and pirates 2.

Toku King
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
so did, gangs of new york, Tarzan, cars, war of the worlds and pirates 2.

Not "War of the Worlds" or "Pirates 2". Those got trashed. But "Cars", "Tarzan", and "Gangs"? Critically acclaimed.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Toku King
Not "War of the Worlds" or "Pirates 2". Those got trashed. But "Cars", "Tarzan", and "Gangs"? Critically acclaimed.

Yeah, the critics were mixed. Most people i know, however, love pirates 2 and war of the worlds. pirates made alot of money and most people were happy with it. War of the worlds may have disappointed, but i never saw it as a point of ridicule. Assuming that Tom Cruise wasn't the punch line

amlap
die you zombie bastards!
and
the big hit

H. S. 6
Jingle All the Way.

Jim Colyer
That's easy. Disco movies!

Xanadu
Can't Stop The Music
Thank God It's Friday
ABBA: The Movie

Jim Colyer
ABBA the Movie is my all-time favorite simply because it is ABBA.

chillmeistergen
Hahaha.

willofthewisp
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End
3. National Treasure
4. Timeline
5. The Wedding Singer
6. The Blair Witch Project
7. King Arthur

Are there movies people don't like but everyone else seems to?

1. March of the Penguins (marketed as cute and fun....)
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
3. Apocalypse Now
4. The Mist

Gannon
The Village - I loved this movie and most things about it. The misleading advertising is what turned most people off to this movie IMO.

Cloverfield - Great concept. Awesome perspective. Good acting. An all around thrill ride of a movie.

Those are the two that stick out for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.