Balance to the force.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Knightfa11
If GL meant for balance to be good, and imbalance to be evil, like I have heard, then why are their still "dark jedi" or "sith" like dasaan after the fall of the empire, unless:

Balance is the balance between good and evil so that good wont corrupt itself and make evil and so that evil wont betray itself and make good, and there is a constant battle?

but this is not what george lucas meant so:

the question remains, if luke brought balance to the force, how come there are still sith after him and during his rise to power as NJO luke.

to list a few of these sith:
Dasaan
The spirit of Palpatine
The spirit of Exar Kun
the spirit of a number of ancient sith

so there you have it... could I have an answer?

Elite Hunter
Well we have the authors to blame for that but from an in universe explanation there could be a few.

Technically balance was brought back to the force but I don't recall saying it had to last.

The Dark Jedi don't have an influence on the force compared to the sith.
Technically all the sith you mentioned were dead save sidious. Some people like to say that the clone Sidious (with sidious spirit) is not the real sidious or something but i don't buy that.

In terms of Sith after DE and Kun's real death the sith to follow(Jacen solo,lumiya,Darth Krayt's order) can be called pseudo sith and they can be called pretenders in fact Darth Krayt was not liked at all by Darth Bane,Andeddu and Nihilus.

Lord Knightfa11
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_%28species%29

well after the extinction of these guys everyone was a "pseudo sith"

and I guess the whole happy ever after thing didnt happen with star wars if balance didnt have to last. LOL

Lord Knightfa11
wow just read up on the sith as a force sencetive evil people group... darth krayt was pretty smart to abolish the "rule of two" I mean seriously, how hard is it to take over the galaxy when there are only two of you vs a jedi order of hundreds?

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_%28species%29

well after the extinction of these guys everyone was a "pseudo sith"

and I guess the whole happy ever after thing didnt happen with star wars if balance didnt have to last. LOL

I think your misunderstanding the difference between the sith species and the sith orders to come.

The dark jedi exiles and the sith species became which became the sith empire the first sith order with focusing on the force.

After the Ragnos's death and the fall of the sith empire Sadow's spirit taught to Nadd which continued the line of the sith ideal. With Sadow being a sith and their teaching continued and then nadd taught kun and ulic etc.. Basically the sith to follow the sith empire to be considered real sith they must be declared sith by an ancient sith like Sadow to Nadd and Ragnos to Kuna and Ulic or be part of an existing sith order like Sidious being apart the rule of two sith order. With Krayt is hard to say because the sith spirit rejected him but they are referred to as sith.

Schecter
the balance which george lucas describes in star wars has nothing to do with a scale of good and evil. the definition of balance which he uses is the opposite of chaos. this is fact as he has clearly stated it. to paraphrase: anakin restores balance to the force by destroying the sith.

EU authors are free to change that rule as they wish (obviously) but if you wish to debate the general plot of star wars as defined by lucas, there really is no debate.

Light_Sith
Answer:

Not one person thought it through at the correct time.

Combine that with a lot of input from a lot of different individuals, and you have a slight mess.

Lord Knightfa11
so you mean.... I have found a....

INCONCISTENCY???!?!?!

Find a happy place, find a happy place find a happy place...

star wars is inconcistent???

what will the nerds do??

Lord Knightfa11
george lucas should "uncanonize" anything that happened after star wars 6 so that it would be more of a happy ending and that would get rid of most of the problems to the storyline that NJO luke causes. (a godlike luke kind of ruins the "farmboy" fighting against unlimited odds to save the universe good conquers evil love over all moral that lucas created with the original trilogy)

therefor none of the books that happen after star wars 6 should be canon.

this is just my opinion however.

Light_Sith

INCONCISTENCY???!?!?!

what will the nerds do??

Just put some coffee on and make a few threads dedicated to rationalising the flaw and it will be fixed in no time.

Have no fear!

smokin'

Dgw2007
without evil there is not good

Lord Knightfa11
true. a point i tried to make. because good will corrupt itself or split and have a civil war, and next thing you know, half the galaxy is less good then the other half and now youve got an evil empire again.

or jedis will get fed up with their masters and turn and become more sith.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Light_Sith
Just put some coffee on and make a few threads dedicated to rationalising the flaw and it will be fixed in no time.

Have no fear!

smokin'

lol hehe. no matter what forums say there will always be that flaw :*(

MadMel
Originally posted by Schecter
the balance which george lucas describes in star wars has nothing to do with a scale of good and evil. the definition of balance which he uses is the opposite of chaos. this is fact as he has clearly stated it. to paraphrase: anakin restores balance to the force by destroying the sith.

EU authors are free to change that rule as they wish (obviously) but if you wish to debate the general plot of star wars as defined by lucas, there really is no debate.
i think you have the right idea..it makes sense that way erm

Dgw2007
true. a point i tried to make. because good will corrupt itself or split and have a civil war, and next thing you know, half the galaxy is less good then the other half and now youve got an evil empire again.

or jedis will get fed up with their masters and turn and become more sith. no matter if you destro all evil there willalways be evil
it is like roach you can crush it but it still will live.

Ushgarak
Technically speaking GL never canonised it; he doesn't count what the books say as part of his own universe, but someone else's interpretation instead.

Whether you accept it is up to you. So feel free to ignore it.

Elite Hunter

INCONCISTENCY???!?!?!

what will the nerds do??

Um, we knew this for a long time confused

Schecter
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Technically speaking GL never canonised it; he doesn't count what the books say as part of his own universe, but someone else's interpretation instead.

ECHO....echo...echo

stick out tongue

DarthLazious
Balance of the Force could be more then what we think it does.

It could all mean Anakin did from a different view 'Bring Balance To The Force" by destroying the Old Republic and the Old Jedi Order by making it a new which makes more sense then killing Sidious but then other Sith appear out of nowhere.

Even Yoda should the thing of the Chosen One could have been missread.

Gideon
Discussing the balance of the Force requires for all participants to be aware of several facts. First, Luke Skywalker did not "balance the Force" nor was he ever named, described, or implied to be the Chosen One of Jedi lore. George Lucas (the supreme authority in all Star Wars matters) has dictated, numerous times, that Anakin Skywalker is the Chosen One -- he was born with the destiny to "balance the Force", which he accomplished in Return of the Jedi by rejecting the teachings of the Sith, accepting the love of his son, and most importantly, by destroying Darth Sidious, who was the figure upsetting the Force.

As for the rest, the Empire and the 'Sith' went downhill from there. Though Emperor Palpatine returned and in a much more powerful form, he was still unable to reclaim his unchallenged domain over the galaxy, and he still was defeated. Darth Krayt and his followers, as well as Darth Caedus and Lumiya, have no direct lineage to the true Sith, no verification as to the authenticity of their rule. The true Sith Order is now extinct, and all that remains is a cadre of self-deluded Dark Jedi -- powerful and dangerous, sure -- but not legitimate Sith.

Lord Knightfa11
1. arent "true sith" the thing revan found out about and was trying to stop from taking over the galaxy when he disapeared?

2. I wouldnt exactly call the empire chaos. It actually was pretty good harmony. all those troopers working together for a common goal... I mean, there is such a thing as "evil" harmony... but george lucas's word goes above all so....

Originally posted by Ushgarak

3. ooo I CAN IGNORE THE BOOKS I DONT LIKE??? YAY!!! I Love this guy!

Elite Hunter
1. arent "true sith" the thing revan found out about and was trying to stop from taking over the galaxy when he disapeared?

No one knows what they are. They could be part of the sith species or they could be remnants of the sitm empire or an entirely new faction. so they don't count yet

This is EU so they do count and technically with that logic I could say I hate kotor so Revan is not real stick out tongue You have understand the difference between GL's star wars and the star wars he authorizes aka the EU.

Lord Knightfa11
0 is there any place where revan exists but njo luke is not canon? big grin

Gideon
The vague "true Sith" that Darth Revan supposedly went off to fight is likely another attempt at the incredibly incompetent Drew Karapshyn to further butcher the cosmos with his unbelievable Gary-Stu of a character; meanwhile, in terms of in-universe canon, there is a difference between the Sith Order and the primitive species that shares the same name. Emperor Palpatine and his apprentices were true Dark Lords of the Sith -- legitimate in both name and heritage -- the ancient Sith spirits of Korriban having recognized them as such (specifically in Dark Empire).

Restoring balance to the Force does not equate to "removing chaos" on a galactic scale, but rather on a Force-related scale. Sith upset the balance; they are Force-using abominations that quite frankly only exist to ruin peace and prosperity. Palpatine, manifestation of all this, was the true factor that made the Force turn to absolute shit for the Republic and the Jedi, thus balance was restored when Anakin Skywalker killed him at the Battle of Endor.

You are twisting Ushgarak's words. As an individual, you are at free liberty to believe whatever you want, however you want to. For the purposes of a debate, however, you can't blindly ignore canon on a whim.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
Well we have the authors to blame for that but from an in universe explanation there could be a few.

However GL okays all EU stories. You even have to be asked to write a story. It's a pretty exclusive club. Zhan told me that when I met him at a book signing near where I live... Still don't like the guy though... Actually like the guy less, he gave like an hour speech about his rise to being a Star Wars author, a little annoying.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by LORD JLRTENJAC
However GL okays all EU stories. You even have to be asked to write a story. It's a pretty exclusive club. Zhan told me that when I met him at a book signing near where I live... Still don't like the guy though... Actually like the guy less, he gave like an hour speech about his rise to being a Star Wars author, a little annoying.
That is a little funny about Zahn. I know people how have been on class trips to see Montel Williams and they same he is a complete @$$ even though they got a cool stuff a few years back. confused

Darth Exodus
What about the Sith on Korriban, do they count?
And wasn't Lumiya anouther of Vader's apprentices? Doesn't that make her a Sith.
Finally, considering that the Sith were a bunch of anti-social rebels I doubt wether any contender cares if they're not 'real Sith'. Sith is an ideal, not a race.

Ivalice
Originally posted by Darth Exodus
What about the Sith on Korriban, do they count?
And wasn't Lumiya anouther of Vader's apprentices? Doesn't that make her a Sith.
Shes merely a dark jedi.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.