Are dvd's a wast of money?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Are dvds a wast of money ?? Yes they are cheap but 99% off the time they are on the book shelf.

MildPossession
No dvds are not a waste of money. If get a dvd I end up not liking I just sell it again to get rid of it.

I like knowing that I have all the films I enjoyed just waiting on my own shelves if I ever decide to watch one of them again, or show someone else the film. Also I watch lots of single scenes over and over from a lot of my dvds.

RAMANMD
we can say that it is wasteful to buy DVDs...In today's scenario internet provides the facility to watch as well as to download the latest movies as you need.......internet removes the problem of purchasing the DVDs....
So purchase the DVDs only after watching it on the internet....

Micheal_Myers
I ussually dont go out and blindly buy dvd's. All the Dvd's I own are either anime, or movie classics that I MUST own.

Kram3r
Originally posted by RAMANMD
we can say that it is wasteful to buy DVDs...In today's scenario internet provides the facility to watch as well as to download the latest movies as you need.......internet removes the problem of purchasing the DVDs....
So purchase the DVDs only after watching it on the internet....

No. That's stupid, immoral and illegal.

WrathfulDwarf
I'll say it now and for you future KMCers will prove me wrong.....

Blu-ray or any other format is a waste of money.

DVD FTW!

Impediment
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
DVD FTW!

jaden101
Originally posted by Kram3r

yes...but he's also a spammer...so you can ignore it

Endrict Nuul
DVD is today's Beta, while Blue ray/HD DVD is more like VHS. But technology has improve a lot since then. I only buy movies that I like, so no it's not a waste of money.

Impediment
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
DVD is today's Beta, while Blue ray/HD DVD is more like VHS.

That's a bad analogy if I ever heard one.

DVD is selling tremendously and has no signs of stopping for a while. Blu Ray is just a treat for those who can afford it.

T.M
Originally posted by Impediment
That's a bad analogy if I ever heard one.

DVD is selling tremendously and has no signs of stopping for a while. Blu Ray is just a treat for those who can afford it.

That is exactly what I said to my mates when we were talking about it the other day.

Faith27
I'll say no..because if your happy with what your spending for then go for it...but if you don't have much money think twice or thrice before buying it.

=Tired Hiker=
I used to be into buying dvds, but now I only buy a dvd if I absolutely have to have that movie because it blew me away. I only buy like maybe two a year. I came to a realization one time that it is a waste of money to buy dvds since there are retal stores everywhere that have larger collections of dvds than I'll ever have, and I can go and rent any one them for a small price rather than buying them.

Tempe Brennan
It depends what the DVD is. Some are way overpriced even I wouldn't buy them, even if it were a film I have already seen. I do admit to watching some movies on the net before I decide to buy. I don't see a problem with that provided of course that anything downloaded is deleted after watching.
I bought a few films after watching them on the net, having not seem them, and not willing to buy them without knowing the plot etc, I watched them and I think I bought two of the three I watched.
Over here though DVD's can be as much as $40 which to me is a rip off as it probably only costs half as much to burn the movie on the disk and stick it in that case thing. They really make a profit...
It also depends which store you shop at. Some stores sell DVD's at a price higher than other stores such as Kmart or Target, they are the places to check first, leave the franchise stores alone until there is nowhere else to go.

Wolfie
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I used to be into buying dvds, but now I only buy a dvd if I absolutely have to have that movie because it blew me away. I only buy like maybe two a year. I came to a realization one time that it is a waste of money to buy dvds since there are retal stores everywhere that have larger collections of dvds than I'll ever have, and I can go and rent any one them for a small price rather than buying them.
I never planned to own a video store. That's crazy. I don't like that many movies.

However, when you do the math, you'd find out at what point your collection becomes worth it. I bought Radio the other day for $5. That's close to a rental at Blockbuster already. When I watch it again, it'll already be worth the price.

MildPossession

Wolfie

MildPossession
Yep. Cheaper for me to buy new releases instead of going to rent a new release in town.

littlecrypp
definitely not. but just for different people

crystallake
In a way, it probably IS a waste of money, but like many other DVD buyers, I like to think of my DVD collection as a sort of statement. I don't buy DVDs JUST because I think I'll watch them so often that it makes better financial sense than renting; I buy some DVDs because I believe that adding them to my collection somehow gives a more complete picture of my tastes, and who I am as a person.

Weird, I know... but I guess it's what happens when you combine the rampant consumerism of Americans with an inner need for expression through appreciation of art.

jon84
In my opinion, they are. That's why I stopped collecting them, now I only buy the films that I really like, or else I'll just rent them. DVDs take up too much space, and it's pointless to own a crap load when you're only going to watch a film once or twice a year. Plus, the format changes with time, so it's pretty much useless to stock up on DVDs. I agree with the last poster though, it's good to have a appreciation for the movies you love. To not sound like too much of a hypocrite, I'd probably still buy DVDs today if I had the money but I ain't made of cash, unless you are rich person that's got money to waste.

But that's just me...

coolmovies
VHS took up more space then dvds

coolmovies
I am a family man i dont get time to watch them more then once so i think i will rent them weather its bluray/dvd

The Scribe
DVDs are fine. They should stay around for a long time.

I'm tired of changing things all the time just so big corporations can make people re-buy the same movies over again.

roughrider
VHS was a waste of money - glad I didn't invest too heavily in it when I was younger.
I did spend hundreds of dollars of laser discs though (and I only owned twelve!), because in the 90's it was virtually the only way to watch films in their original widescreen ratios.
So when DVDs came out and cost the same as VHS, and were even better than laser discs, I felt I arrived in heaven.

coolmovies
me too i only buyed 3 movies on vhs the rest i taped off tv big grin

DarthLazious
Nope.

movieshe
No, I always buy it.

Saskaswan
DVD's are not expensive, and if you're a movie fan how could they be a waste of money.

maham
DVD's are great if you love that film,but for the rest,renting should do.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Saskaswan
DVD's are not expensive, and if you're a movie fan how could they be a waste of money.

cool Depends how often you watch them,really

I have spent a fortune on my dvd collection,but are thinking about slowing it down,I find I am always busy watching all the movies I haven't seen,too watching the one's I've seen and own

russelcrow
Now a days, DVDs are not used by anyone. Most of the users are watching the movie by downloading it from the Internet. So DVD's are not used by anyone. Apart from that Pen drive had better storage and better life so, DVD's are replaced by the pen drive.

MildPossession
DVDs not used by anyone? you are deluded. Over 4 million copies of the Avatar DVD sold in America, more than the blu ray at the time...

Yeah, DVDs are not getting used anymore...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

RichardBrittain
Money, in itself, is a waste... of life!

ADarksideJedi
It depends on if you seen the movie or not!If you had not seen it I would not buy it until you rent it so you will know if you like it or not.

RichardBrittain
Not always. You can get some really good deals on Amazon USA, for second hand DVDs. I was just browsing, Lol.

http://thefreeimagehost.info/lib/images/usr20100

ADarksideJedi
True but some are overprice no matter what.

mornings11
no, i don't think so. we can keep the favourite movies.

roughrider
Originally posted by crystallake
In a way, it probably IS a waste of money, but like many other DVD buyers, I like to think of my DVD collection as a sort of statement. I don't buy DVDs JUST because I think I'll watch them so often that it makes better financial sense than renting; I buy some DVDs because I believe that adding them to my collection somehow gives a more complete picture of my tastes, and who I am as a person.

Weird, I know... but I guess it's what happens when you combine the rampant consumerism of Americans with an inner need for expression through appreciation of art.

I buy DVDs for both reasons. Only once, maybe twice have I bought something then regretted it.
People need to remember what it was like to be a serious movie fan in the late 1980's to mid-90's. My big demand was trying to see movies letter-boxed, once I realized how pan-and-scan VHS was butchering the picture. The only other alternative was Laserdiscs, which were letter-boxed and had stunning picture quality compared to VHS; I managed to get a player at low cost. But they were so expensive I never owned more than a dozen of them. $40 Canadian was a good deal; $70-90 dollars was the norm. And, you had to get up and turn the side over because they could only get 60 minutes maximum a side. So to get a format that was smaller & more compact, had the picture quality of Laserdiscs with VHS prices, it was a godsend.
Right now, it's Blu-ray that is functioning as the specialty format that Laserdiscs once were. but that for picture quality just A LITTLE BIT BETTER? In these tighter financial times, that's still what it is. DVD, computers and video game systems have the perfect convergence with the disc format.

maximus395
Originally posted by Kram3r

Its not illegal yet, torrenting that is, but there's a big court case that will put a firewall on the whole of the internet if the corps win it. There will be black list sites, that offer any kind of download or free viewing and stuff of that nature...and there will be a white list of sites, like MSN, Yahoo, crap like that.

But by no means is it illegal to torrent or download movies, if it was you wouldn't be able to find the site on any search engine, especially Google.

captainwesker
Personally I don't think it's a waste of money if you are an avid film collector, or a supporter of the person that directed the movie. But with the internet now, majority of people that I know and are movie lovers, just pirate the movie. :/

At one point, DVDs will be obsolete with Netflix and Online streaming of films we have now.

MildPossession
^ Not for a long time. Streaming, here anyway on our rental sites, is below par quality.

T.M
I think it is going to be a long time before we have the connection speeds needed to stream blu ray quality movies in the UK.

Even streaming programs on things like the BBC's iplayer is ridiculously frustrating.

rotiart
with data caps at 150 and 250 gb per month... and movies ranging from 700 mb to 9 gb... if you were wanting to watch seasons of a tv show or movie online while streaming.. your internet provide could end up preventing that idea...
But anyways.. i think if you got the money for it blu ray is the way to go. 720p on a 42 inch... but if you got it 1080p on anything higher. drool... i own a 46 but my friend has a 65! and you can so tell the difference between dvd and bluray...

also when you own your own disc.. assuming you down scratch it... you don't worry about buffering issues... just scratches... it makes for an enjoyable sit down and watch feeling.

Dominic EX2
Originally posted by coolmovies
Are dvds a wast of money ?? Yes they are cheap but 99% off the time they are on the book shelf.

Well, not really. It's quite enjoyable to watch new DVDs every now and then to relax a bit.
Besides, if you are a collector, nothing is a waste of money.

It's alot a waste of money if you buy pirated DVDs.

ADarksideJedi
Not always. I got the pirate one of "Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows part one" and it was perfect nothing wrong with it at all. I also got it free from a good friend of mine.

spike2011
Hello!!! everybody!

WanderingDroid
DVD sales might pick up since most video stores are closing down. Netflix is neat...but owning a favorite movie is better....at least for me.

Wolfie
Originally posted by rotiart
also when you own your own disc.. assuming you down scratch it... you don't worry about buffering issues... just scratches... it makes for an enjoyable sit down and watch feeling.
With slow Internet connections, buffering is a pain. I don't dare try sites like Hulu. It takes me an hour to watch a 22-minute episode (might be exaggerating but you get my point.

It's just as well because I like owning a movie on a disc. I take my favorite movies off the shelf, put them in the player, and watch with ease.

Also, if a site goes down, a company goes under, etc., my disc still works with my player. The only thing I have to rely on is the power company to keep pumping the electricity.

I used to work at a video store and I have to say that I can't picture that the majority of people give a damn about the backs of discs. Brand new movies would get rented and returned a week later with scratches all over them. I hope they take care of their own discs better than they do rentals, but I'm not so sure. For those people, streaming is probably the better way to go since the concept of not scratching a disc is foreign to them.

Riot-Gear
Of course they are VHS tapes are so much cheaper.

Riot-Gear
Originally posted by maximus395
Its not illegal yet, torrenting that is, but there's a big court case that will put a firewall on the whole of the internet if the corps win it. There will be black list sites, that offer any kind of download or free viewing and stuff of that nature...and there will be a white list of sites, like MSN, Yahoo, crap like that.

But by no means is it illegal to torrent or download movies, if it was you wouldn't be able to find the site on any search engine, especially Google.

Um unless you work for the company, own the rights to the movie etc. Duplicating a movie in whole or in part is illegal. You know copyright laws and all that jazz. Just read the FBI warning.

Stoic
I don't think that DVD's are a waste of money. They are great for decoration, and good conversation pieces, also if you have company over, and have a certain movie that they may have never saw, or loved a particular movie that you have you can indulge them.

Stealth Agent
Listen you bloody fools, you've got to be a moron to stream a whole movie and wait on the buffer time.Torrent's are the way of the future, I don't care what anyone says it is incredibly easy, all over the internet a child could do it.

But to answer you're question OP, no dvd's are not a waste of money, blank dvd's that is.

jinzin
Originally posted by roughrider
I buy DVDs for both reasons. Only once, maybe twice have I bought something then regretted it.
People need to remember what it was like to be a serious movie fan in the late 1980's to mid-90's. My big demand was trying to see movies letter-boxed, once I realized how pan-and-scan VHS was butchering the picture. The only other alternative was Laserdiscs, which were letter-boxed and had stunning picture quality compared to VHS; I managed to get a player at low cost. But they were so expensive I never owned more than a dozen of them. $40 Canadian was a good deal; $70-90 dollars was the norm. And, you had to get up and turn the side over because they could only get 60 minutes maximum a side. So to get a format that was smaller & more compact, had the picture quality of Laserdiscs with VHS prices, it was a godsend.
Right now, it's Blu-ray that is functioning as the specialty format that Laserdiscs once were. but that for picture quality just A LITTLE BIT BETTER? In these tighter financial times, that's still what it is. DVD, computers and video game systems have the perfect convergence with the disc format.

This.

While it's true that tons of movies can be accessed by the internet, I find there are plenty of times I don't have internet access, or don't want to watch a movie on the computer screen.

Blue Rays... Honestly I don't get it. I don't. Other than having some cool and interactive capabilities and generally getting the better end of the deal with extras anymore I don't see the point of blue ray really.... I mean honestly how good can picture quality actually BE? And.... at the end of the day do I really care? Better quality than a used vhs with flags running up and down the screen is one thing. Better quality than a dvd transfer? At some point I don't even really notice unless I'm LOOKING FOR IT, and if I'm so intent on the quality of the picture TO THAT DEGREE, I'm guessing it probably isn't the most engaging movie in the first place.

DVDs are as much a waste of money as any collection. It just comes down to how worthwhile your collecting is and what it means to you. Hell there are still plenty of VHS collectors out there. I wouldn't call that a waste unless they were actually looking for the best quality copy of those movies.

If we're talking about the most effecient least expensive way to watch movies, then it just comes down to whether or not you have internet access.

For me at least, DVDs are the cheapest way to get a great quality movie that I can have on hand anytime I chose to watch it. I like watching movies so it isn't a waste for me personally and I don't like the time it takes to search for/stream/download movies (or the risk for that matter, if you're not dodging the govt then you're dodging viruses etc etc) and a good percentage of the time movies on the internet are of poor quality anyway. DVDs are just super convenient in too many ways for a movie watcher with not-so-deep-pockets to ignore.

Hulkbuster1
Originally posted by Stoic
I don't think that DVD's are a waste of money. They are great for decoration, and good conversation pieces, also if you have company over, and have a certain movie that they may have never saw, or loved a particular movie that you have you can indulge them.
The only way to figure if dvds are a waste of money is by outweighing the costs and return in investments. I own dvds and for me its hard keeping them in top conditions:
1.they scratch easily(i hate wasting money on plastic coverings)
2. even when stored i notice they get scratches or develop some white flimy mold like substance on them.( due to condensation maybe?
3. how long can dvds last anyways?
4.dvd players last up to 20 yrs tops...even if your dvds are great will they still make dvd players after dvds die out?
5. dvds I heard quickly succumb to oxidation especially around the inner circle.

Esau Cairn
I personally don't buy a lot of movies these days, whether it's on dvd or a blu-ray format. I only own a handful of personal favourites that are sentimental to me.

If I'm in the mood for a particular film, I'll go & rent it. Whereas if I did own that movie, I find myself never in the mood to watch it.

the ninjak
I'll purchase the Blu-Rays to films if they deserve my money so I can support the industry.

Astner
Originally posted by coolmovies
I'd argue: Yes.

You can easily purchase a terabyte external hard drive for under a hundred bucks and fit hundreds of HD quality movies on there. Movies that you can watch at any time, download for free, and that doesn't take any space on your shelf.

Piracy is the reverse of playing the lottery for a billion dollars.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Astner

You can easily purchase a terabyte external hard drive for under a hundred bucks and fit hundreds of HD quality movies on there. Movies that you can watch at any time, download for free, and that doesn't take any space on your shelf.

The thing is, it really depends on what country you're from & the availability of the internet, much less broadband speed....

I mean I've been downloading the entire 2nd season of "Games Of Thrones" for free but it's so far costing me about $60 of internet time.

If I waited another month or two, I could've bought the entire season cheaper than that.

The other factor too is that I personally like all the behind-the-scenes bonus features & that's something you don't get with downloads.

Astner
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
The thing is, it really depends on what country you're from & the availability of the internet, much less broadband speed....

I mean I've been downloading the entire 2nd season of "Games Of Thrones" for free but it's so far costing me about $60 of internet time.

If I waited another month or two, I could've bought the entire season cheaper than that.

The other factor too is that I personally like all the behind-the-scenes bonus features & that's something you don't get with downloads.
There's a second season of Game of thrones? Well to be fair they didn't conclude the first novel so I suppose that makes sense. Anyway, when I downloaded the first season of Game of thrones I downloaded it on an episode to episode basis since they were released weekly, and it took me around 20 minutes to download an episode, and I pay monthly for my connection. So I usually jumped in the shower while I torrented the episodes. So there wasn't really any loss to speak of.

But I suppose you're right. If you pay for each downloaded gigabyte it might end up costing you more than the box set itself.

Esau Cairn
There's a second season of Game of thrones? Well to be fair they didn't conclude the first novel so I suppose that makes sense. Anyway, when I downloaded the first season of Game of thrones I downloaded it on an episode to episode basis since they were released weekly, and it took me around 20 minutes to download an episode, and I pay monthly for my connection. So I usually jumped in the shower while I torrented the episodes. So there wasn't really any loss to speak of.

But I suppose you're right. If you pay for each downloaded gigabyte it might end up costing you more than the box set itself.

Yup, Season 2 is readily available to download now.
Like I mentioned it really depends on what country you're from vs broadband speed & costs of internet connection.
When I visited California nearly 10 years ago, I was surprised at how relaxed everyone was with their broadband, leaving their comp connected to the internet 24/7...whilst back in Australia, we were still on dial-up & strictly disconnected from the net if we weren't using it because of the costs.

Bentley

This is an interesting argument, why not an external hard drive? I mean, even if you pay for the movies there is no point in having the physical discs around. Which is kind of a book vs e-book argument too, except the book has more appealing features than the DVD. I assume you may not want to have your hard-drive everywhere, nor a computer, so portability can be an issue, but it's actually very minimal. The biggest value must be collectability, having a physical representation of what you own.

josephchrter
It is not a waste of money to buy dvd, they are good for back up but we need to give them an extra good care as once it gets damages, it would be useless. I usually buy dvd to watch movie or to burn and save files, but at this moment, I rely on streaming sites and some flash disk to save files.

drkwrld
you can get cheap dvd collections of craigslist.

heathjack
now most dvds are just five to 10 bucks now I been buying more blu rays I still buy dvds.

MicCheck
Netflix is the way to go, most movies suck now adays

marina77787
I have all DVD-s of Rocky and I must say, I do not regret buying those. I love that series and it's really fun to watch it every once in a while. smile

riv6672
Waste of money? I dont think so.
In a way, i see it like people who prefer vinyl over CDs. Having a solid DVD in my hands makes the movie more "real" to me.

catholicity
HP driver software download

Patient_Leech
Well many years have passed since this thread was made.

At this point I think DVDs are a bit dated in many cases, similar to VHS. I've put a DVD or two on a big screen HD tv and it tends to look like shit blown up.

So I have to have at least Blu-ray quality for the most part.

There are some exceptions. For example I still prefer the DVD versions for The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, etc (Kubrick's stuff) because they changed the aspect ratio for the blu-rays which bothers me.

But yeah, blu-ray or 4k all the way. thumb up

Jmanghan
If I have a choice I'm going to pick Blu-Ray every time. If I have to pick a DVD I will though, I like having physical media.

The likelihood of my DVD breaking is probably less likely then some hard drive failing on me one day.

DVD, blu-ray's, if taken care of and kept immaculate, can last you decades and decades (and decades). At some point, that hard drive is gonna screw up, then what will you do? You're screwed out of countless movies. I've seen DVD's stand the test of time vs VHS tapes. But any physical media can last a very long time if taken care of. Hell most laptops have a tendency to screw up in under 10 years.

Streaming sucks unless you have absolutely no other choice.

StiltmanFTW
Laptops tend to die pretty quick, yeah.

Robtard
Originally posted by Jmanghan
If I have a choice I'm going to pick Blu-Ray every time. If I have to pick a DVD I will though, I like having physical media.

The likelihood of my DVD breaking is probably less likely then some hard drive failing on me one day.

DVD, blu-ray's, if taken care of and kept immaculate, can last you decades and decades (and decades). At some point, that hard drive is gonna screw up, then what will you do? You're screwed out of countless movies. I've seen DVD's stand the test of time vs VHS tapes. But any physical media can last a very long time if taken care of. Hell most laptops have a tendency to screw up in under 10 years.

Streaming sucks unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Disagree, friendo

I have around 1850ish movies on my computer now and I still have my old collection of (mostly burned) DVDs in one of my closets, forget how many, but safe to say around 1600ish, they're in those large sleeve binders.

While I do run the risk of losing everything in one HD failure, the ease of easily streaming any of those films through Plex whenever I want at a couple clicks of the remote is vastly superior than going to the DVDs. Vast-LEE.

I lower the risk of losing everything by keeping an identical media library on my friend's computer. If either of ours crashes and burns, we have another copy to rebuild from.

Clinging onto DVDs is futile; they're not going away tomorrow but digital and streaming is the future.

eThneoLgrRnae
If you can afford to pay the little bit of extra money for a blu-ray then I see no reason to buy a dvd instead. The improved sound clarity and picture sharpness that blu-ray gives compared to dvd's is much more significant than the few extra dollars you might have to pay for the blu-ray. Still buy standard dvd's occasionally but usually only when blu-ray isn't available for a title I really like; like the Highlander series of movies, for example. I've looked just about everywhere to get that film series on blu-ray and have yet to find it anywhere.

I also tend to much prefer both blu-ray and dvd's over streaming as well though I don't mind DL'ing a movie to my PS3 on occasion. It is nice to be able to watch a movie thru my PS3 without having to get up and switch out whatever game I had inside for a movie disc.

XLR87T3
You're a waste of money

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.