Admin Rights

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blax_Hydralisk
I have Windows vista, and ti generally works fine except for when I try to play video games.

The games themselves work, but whenever I try to download a patch or something necessary to play online, my computer usually freezes up. At first I thought maybe it was my firewall or an internet related problem, so awhile ago when it happened alt-tabbed out of the game screen, and there was a little pop-up that said "You must have administrative rights to download this patch", something like that.

This confuses me, as I AM the Administrator. Actually, I'm the ONLY administrator. There's only two profiles on this computer, my own and my Moms and she's a limited user. So I don't understand why it thinks I'm not the Admin when in fact I am. I went to the account settings and it says that I am in fact Administrator, but when I try to download a patch the computer seems to refuse to acknowledge that fact.

Any ideas as to what may be happening?

Ushgarak
Set the programme you are using to run as admin (right click on it, Properties/Compatability/cick on the 'run as admin' box).

Vista is very paranoid and there are a number of programmes and games that only run correctly if tagged so.

Callan
An alternative is to turn UAC (User Account Control) off, if you haven't done so already. It should be in the Control Panel, under the User Account options.

Kelly_Bean
An easy option is to right-click and the drop-down menu will appear and there will be stuff like Run, Open, etc. Click "Run As Administrator." I believe it's the 3rd option down. (I have a vista too).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.