Blu Ray wins?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
Toshiba gave up on HD-DVD... Looks like Blu-Ray won. Good or bad news?

chithappens
Blanket statement. Mind explaining this further or give a link or anything?

queeq
It's all over the place, but here's one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7250068.stm

Ushgarak
Well it's been on the cards for a while.

It's a shame in many ways but... well, the split format was just a crappy deal for customers. Better someone wins.

queeq
It was. And Blu Ray does have the better cards: more Gigs...

One format is better, for all.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, but regular DVDs are the real monster here...it's library is way too massive and I doubt Blu-ray will ever catch up. Even if major hollywood studios support it. Indeed it was a victory for them to KO HD DVD. But I doubt we'll see Blu-ray expand in less time than regular DVDs.

Technology is moving too fast for any new formats.

queeq
I asked the guys from the DVD store where I buy all my DVD's. They say sales on Blue Ray and HD-DVD is very very marginal.
The problem is, what's the added value of HD? That's it's sharper? I'm sure a lot of people think DVD is sharp enough.

Ushgarak
And people needed the TVs.

And didn't want to commit whilst the format war was still going on.

I mean, it is telling that Toshiba's stock price is RISING as a result of this. The format war was hurting everyone.

MildPossession
DVDs are sharp enough imo, you are not missing out on much if you stay with just dvds instead of Blu Ray.

Impediment
I'll eventually upgrade to a LCD screen, but I refuse to change formats, seeing as how I have 500+ DVDs. I agree with y'all that DVD is shatrp enough for me.

dadudemon
I posted about this in the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD thread.

Originally posted by Impediment
I'll eventually upgrade to a LCD screen, but I refuse to change formats, seeing as how I have 500+ DVDs. I agree with y'all that DVD is shatrp enough for me.

500+?????????!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

You should learn what illegal downloading is...it will save you lots of money. LOL!!! just kidding.

I usually only watch a movie 1 time and twice if it is good so I have no need to purchase.

MildPossession
I've swapped all my favourite films on vhs to dvd now, there is no way I am doing that with the amount of dvds I have to something else.

jaden101
i think the outcome of sony (finally) winning a format war was inevitable in this case..they were shrewed enough to buy up the rights to publish over 60% of all hollywood films released up until a few years ago through various deal...all the while developing blu-ray

i think the main issue is not in the film market itself but what will happen in the videogame console wars in the next generation

i dont think sony will allow microsoft to use blu-ray in there next console and if HD-DVD defunct then sony will have a massive foothold from the offset...

i for one now watch most of my dvd's through my xbox360 and so do a large number of my friend through their own consoles and i think this will be increasingly the way people will watch films as it is easier that linking up and using seperate dvd players....

i also think the fact that warner bros saying they will no longer print in HD-DVD will mean other film sudios will follow suit and that'll b the end

Ushgarak
Sony are hardly the exclusive owners of Bluray, Jaiden, they are just the most notable of the backers. If MS wants to use it then they will.

VeniceR
Yeah. Looks like Blue Ray has emerged the winner. What with major retailers and movie studios ditching the HD DVD format...
But I guess with the player costing a lot more than currrent-gen dvds, it will be sometime until people catch up.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Sony are hardly the exclusive owners of Bluray, Jaiden, they are just the most notable of the backers. If MS wants to use it then they will.

Sony and pioneer were the initial developers through UDO and DVR-blue which eventually became blu-ray so i believe they own the primary patents for the technology..

although if the power over it is distributed equally among the BRDA then i guess the majority could allow microsoft to use it....

maybe not though

queeq
It's official now.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7252172.stm

Philips is also heavily involved in Blu Ray.

Looks like Microsoft loses.

Endrict Nuul
I much rather have normal DVD and VHS with my 47 inch plasma than Blue ray. The only reason why I might get one is because I might get a PS3 later on.

Ushgarak
The patent situation on Blu-ray is a nightmare- this article from a year ago:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Significant-progress-made-toward-creation-of-joint-Blu-ray-Disc-patent-license-Press-Release.html

It's definitely not a siatuation where Sony can just block it

Nah, Microsoft will just pay up. Even before this news they were talking of a blu-ray add on for the 360.

queeq
REally? Wow, they're fast. I guess they saw this coming.

I don't get it though... why would they change the 360 games to blue ray? I mean 360 games can only be played on a 360. When a new version of X-Box comes out, they can turn to BluRay.

I only wonder now, if BluRay sales will begin to gain. I am wondering when I should switch.

jaden101
The patent situation on Blu-ray is a nightmare- this article from a year ago:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Significant-progress-made-toward-creation-of-joint-Blu-ray-Disc-patent-license-Press-Release.html

It's definitely not a siatuation where Sony can just block it

Nah, Microsoft will just pay up. Even before this news they were talking of a blu-ray add on for the 360.

yeah you're probably right...when i think back on the format wars of old its not like a single format was detrimental to competition

VHS v Betamax
CD v minidisc

only difference is Sony has actually won one for a change...haha

Wolfie
Not the format I was going for but oh well, at least the war's over.

I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. I have 500+ movies on DVD and am very content with them.

DVD became the norm over VHS not only because of quality, but because of format as well. Discs are far superior to tapes and DVD added movie essentials such as commentaries and special features. That's why VHS is dead, the majority of the tapes just had the movie and nothing else.

Blu Ray, I ask, so what? The picture is a tad sharper. You can access menus while watching the movie (which I still haven't understood why I'd want to do that). You get video commentaries (which to my understanding is the same thing as the Men in Black commentary). It's not worth the upgrade to me.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by queeq
REally? Wow, they're fast. I guess they saw this coming.

I don't get it though... why would they change the 360 games to blue ray? I mean 360 games can only be played on a 360. When a new version of X-Box comes out, they can turn to BluRay.

I only wonder now, if BluRay sales will begin to gain. I am wondering when I should switch.

They won't change the games; 360 games are all standard DVD format.

But they released an HD-DVD add on for the console (for films) which is obviously now rather defunct. But in January they were already talking about a release of a bu-ray add on for the same purpose.

And you are right, Wolfie, there is no massively pressing reason until prices come down, and even then only if you are buying anyway, at which point you may as well buy the new tech.

queeq
It only gets interesting when you get some HUGE screen. Then you will see the difference betweeen HD and regular DVD... But whose wife will let a guy own a HUGE SCREEN? wink

jaden101
technology is moving too fast to keep up now as it is...companies are already looking at holographic data storage, organic transistors, protein coated discs which could allow a dvd size disc to store terabytes of information...of course all this will get kept back to ensure the profits are made before releasing the new technologies to the average punter

WrathfulDwarf
I'm not too fond of upgrading to Blu-ray...heck! I might not even do it any time this year or next or even the NEXT.

I spend too much time and money tracking down my favorite Special Editions, Limited Editions, and Rare Editions for 5 years.

See, there was never such thing as Collectors editions VHS so there was not hard to let go of some of the tapes. With DVD is an entire different case.

queeq
There are too many ujustified Collector's Editions, if you ask me. I have some 500+ DVD's... but sometimes I feel really conned about these so-called SE's with its lame suck-up documentaries. The number of really really worthwhile editions are maybe 5 or 6.

WrathfulDwarf
Nu-uh! For Collector Editions geeks like me...there are never enough. Also there are genres that haven't gotten much of the DVD treatment here in the states.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Impediment

You have as many DVD's as I do. Although I friend of mine has the Blu-Ray, I was foolish enough to buy a HD DVD. Guess I have to sell it on eBay now.. I also believe that regular DVD's are just as sharp and will around for a very long time.

queeq
I reallyw onder what way it will go.

For one film I'd like to switch to BluRay: Blader Runner Final Cut.

coolmovies
Lotr EE is all am getting on blue ray

queeq
EE?

But yeah, that's great stuff too.

jaden101
extened edition?

queeq
Ah right... I have those.

coolmovies
so will they stop making HD disks if blue ray wins ?? I cant wait any longer

Neo Darkhalen

Could this be the end of the 360?

I don't think it can, but can someone put my fears to rest please.

Rajendra

it was a good news!as I have tried and tested bluray is better than HD dvd.

queeq
In what way?

jaden101
i think blu-ray holds more information...off the top of my head anyway...might be wrong...cant be arsed checking

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
i think blu-ray holds more information...off the top of my head anyway...might be wrong...cant be arsed checking

15 GB for single layer HD-DVD and 30 GB for dual layer HD-DVD

25 for single layer Blu-ray disc and 50 for a dual layer Blu-ray disc.

queeq
Yeah, that wasn't much news. I have no idea how the performances are compared to each other though.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Could this be the end of the 360?

I don't think it can, but can someone put my fears to rest please.

As noted above... no, not really. The 360 wasn't actually invested in HD-DVD, which was smart in retrospect.

queeq
Very. Saved their butts.

BluRay was a more safe bet. It's been in broad use in the professional video and broadcast market for years now. It's called XD-CAM there, but they use BluRay discs.

Ushgarak
I believe Microsoft's view was that HD-DVD was more computer friendly and hence the way to go.

Wrong, of course, but they did at least have a reason.

queeq
Why was it supposed to be more computerfriendly then?

Ushgarak
I don't know the technical specifics I am afraid, though here is an early articlw relating to their original decision- interesting article in retrospect.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_42/b3955113.htm

queeq
Interesting indeed. But still unclear what the difference is apart from the layering and storage capacity.

Sony did have an advantage having it up and running for the professional broadcast market, I think. They were already making and selling it. Thus proving it's good.

Ah well... so be it.

sweersa
Blu-Ray at least to my knowledge is full 1080 HD. If you ever watch a regular DVD on an HD display and then watch something in full HD, either via physical media or via computer, the difference is VERY obvious.

I have a widescreen 22 inch LCD monitor, the resolution is 1680 x 1050, so it is very close to 1080. I downloaded an HDTV rip of Revenge of the Sith in 720p (HD but not full HD) and the picture quality really has an awesome wow factor compared to DVD quality and you feel more like you are in the movie and can see things that were not as sharp or blurry before (DVD) that are now crisp and beautiful.

DVD will not last forever, something better always takes a while to set in, and when it does, something new and better is always on the horizon.

Ushgarak
Oh, er, whilst this thread has been bumped- latest vibe from Microsoft is that they probably will not bother with Blu-ray on the 360 after all, relying on digital downloads instead.

sweersa
Oh, er, whilst this thread has been bumped- latest vibe from Microsoft is that they probably will not bother with Blu-ray on the 360 after all, relying on digital downloads instead.

I think they would feel embarrassed if they started to ship 360's with Blu-ray. Maybe they will hold such a format back until they release their next major console.

Ushgarak
As I have pointed out elsewhere, no need to be any more embarrassed using blu-ray than using DVD.

coolmovies
If blue ray have won why are HD still bringing out movies ?? what will happen to movies which are allready out on HD ?

sweersa
I don't believe the makers of HDDVD will continue to make newer HDDVD's, and film production companies are not going to release their movie on that now obsolete format. Any HDDVD you see in a store today is going to be the last, I am sure a lot exist on store shelves and retailers want them gone ASAP.

Once blu-Ray becomes more the norm I can imagine movies that were only offered on HDDVD before will be sold on blu-Ray discs.

coolmovies
I hope the price comes down now that the format war is over. They are very slow in bringing out Bray ray movies only per 50 year

celestialdemon
I don't think Blu Ray will last very long simply because digital downloads are becoming so popular.

queeq
Yup. PLus I have to see how they convice people they should buy Blu-Ray instead of the much cheaper DVD... You'd still have to have a new player AND a new TV to enjoy it...

sweersa
Yup. PLus I have to see how they convice people they should buy Blu-Ray instead of the much cheaper DVD... You'd still have to have a new player AND a new TV to enjoy it...

A lot of people have HDTV sets now. The only issue is having an HD source. Personally, we have an HDTV but no HD source yet, HD cable is expensive and as some of you have pointed out, Blu-ray and the devices required to play Blu-ray discs are expensive as they are somewhat new. I remember a couple years ago Blu-ray players were around a grand, then they went down to 600 dollars, I believe at one point buying a PS3 would be cheaper than a blu-ray player, and thats funny because the PS3 can play Blu-rays discs.

Like all other newer formats, in time the prices will go down and it should become standard eventually. It may not be Blu-ray but something HD or better will eventually emerge as the standard. DVD's will soon be like old VHS tapes, they will eventually be phased out when the market and consumers are ready.

queeq
Well, I'm a little sceptic there. Because DVD's had very clear advantages over VHS. The quality, but also menus and extra's. And easy accessability.

Penetration of HD tv sets still isn't very high.. I know regular wide screen tv penetration is somewhere between 30-40% i.e. 30-40% of all tv owners watch a wide screen tv... That's not all HD.... So that's not a lot... People have to SEE the advantages of Blu-Ray en masse... and that's a little hard to explain when most people think DVD's fine.

coolmovies
To get the best out of HD you need a tv that is 40'' or 50''.

sweersa
Originally posted by coolmovies
To get the best out of HD you need a tv that is 40'' or 50''.

Why is that? Standard Full HD is 1920 by 1080. My 22 inch LCD monitor can almost display that. (1680 x 1050)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

The above link has some great information and a nice graphic to explain standard and HD resolutions.

coolmovies
But bigger is better and people are getting bigger sets becouse they take less space.

WrathfulDwarf
I think the Blu-ray camp see the format move in the same direction as the DVD movement during the late 90's.

Again, I'm skeptic that Blu-ray will eventually be norm in the coming years.

coolmovies
AMEN

sweersa
But bigger is better and people are getting bigger sets becouse they take less space.

Yes, I think I know what you mean, larger Projection or CRT monitors are way larger and heavier than larger plasma or LCD displays. I would go with the latter. Its also nice having a flat type tv mounted on the wall, that REALLY saves space, and looks wonderful.

coolmovies
The only problem with having it on the wall is where do you put your set top box and your HD player ?

crystallake
If blue ray have won why are HD still bringing out movies ?? what will happen to movies which are allready out on HD ?

I think there were a few HD discs still in the pipeline; they're probably just working out the last of 'em now. I know that studios cancelled a lot of HD discs that hadn't gone to production yet; for example, I thought there was supposed to be an HD-DVD version of "Cloverfield", because Paramount was one of the studios backing HD-DVD the hardest, but now that Toshiba has pulled out - no HD-DVD release. Instead, we just get a crappy regular release and rumors of a Blu-ray version in a couple of months.

On the other hand, I've already gotta buy "Sweeney Todd" and "Alien vs. Predator: Requiem" in April; maybe it's not such a bad thing if I have to wait on "Cloverfield" for a little while! big grin

sweersa
The only problem with having it on the wall is where do you put your set top box and your HD player ?

Good question, I usually see some sort of cabinet or stand under the display with such devices, or users can get creative by mounting such devices.

http://www.staffordshirehomecinema.co.uk/USERIMAGES/suki1.jpg

The above url shows some video source devices mounted on the wall.

coolmovies
Lols looks silly to me

sweersa
Lols looks silly to me

It does a tad, but it looks like it would be simpler to insert media. You wouldn't have to sit down or bend over.

queeq
Looks a bit messy.

sweersa
Looks a bit messy.

Maybe a little, I don't even seen any wires going to the display...maybe they were hidden before the picture, or am I missing something?

moviebuff1084
I don't see a point in paying the outrageous price. When DVD looks fine and if you don't have a HD-TV you can't even see a difference.
I mean i know they have more space and they don't scratch as easy.
But is that worth the price?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.