Alien

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
I heard alot of good things about this movie and thought i see it. Its a very slow and hunting film that grabes you from the start. Riddly is a legand the direction and sound is still fantastic . The film still stands out as a masterpiece classic.

The shots of the spaceship are just wow and thats why i like the film.

Quiero Mota
You're a little late with this one.....

queeq
laughing out loud

coolmovies
I saw it years ago thought i make a tread on it

queeq
Tread on it? I thought you liked it? wink

Quiero Mota
Alien 3 is my favorite one. Even though its generally the least popular.

coolmovies
three is ok but nothing beats the orignal i saw the movies on tv and brought the box set. It has the best extres this is how box sets should be George Lucus

queeq
I agree.

I only started liking Alien 3 after I saw the director's cut, which was excellent. I thought it pretty much sucked in the theatrical release.

coolmovies
yes the director's cut is great but it does not stand up to alien

queeq
True. But it was an original vision after Scott and Cameron.

I think Resurrection sucked big time.

coolmovies
ya true they should have left it at aliens. Alien tryed to copy star wars and became famouse. I turned off the tv when i first saw it the tenshion was so high

queeq
But I love what Fincher tried to do.

coolmovies
But you have to agree that the first one is better then three.

queeq
Yes. I agree. It's the classic. But teh director's cut can at least stay in a nice trilogy. I don't care about Resurrection and I dread no. 5.

Darth Martin
Still haven't seen this one.

coolmovies
Anyone else want to share there views on this classic ?

SnakeEyes
People always give me shit because I really don't like this movie. I didn't care for any of the characters/thought it was bland, boring and not very suspenseful.

Some of the shots are cool from a cinematic standpoint, but overall I don't care for this film.

Aliens, on the other hand, I felt was much better.

Impediment
Alien was very suspensful and dark, I agree, while, on the other hand, Aliens was the complete opposite: action packed and fun.

I like both movies.

=Tired Hiker=
I might actually be an alien.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by coolmovies
ya true they should have left it at aliens. Alien tryed to copy star wars and became famouse. I turned off the tv when i first saw it the tenshion was so high

copy star wars?

Copy is a big bold word, partner. I might understand, if you said influenced by.
Even, then, i dont know how much, other than technology, Alien was influenced by Star wars.

Although, Aliens is my favorite of the series. Not many movies, in the genre, have been able to reproduce the level of tension, shock and unpredictability that Alien offered. Cool, is right in saying, Alien stood and still stands out as a unique movie. Although, Aliens did an incredible job in advancing the story while staying original. I have to acknowledge that Alien just may be the better movie. I do believe, however, it is hard to compare the first two Alien films. There is such a radical contrast between the two movies, but, when watching Aliens. I never feel as though i am watching a sequel, but rather, the second half of the story.

exanda kane
I just love the fact that Alien, a great movie in itself, spawned an equally great movie of a completely different genre.

queeq
Yup, I agree. Cameron did an excellent job.

JediSamuraiMRB
I like all three Alien movies, but I especially love the first one.

Röland
I like all 4 of the Alien movies but Aliens is by far my favorite. Just can't beat Hudson.

One of my favorite characters in all cinema.

coolmovies
How can you like AR it sucked

Röland
How can you like AR it sucked
I'm a big Alien fan and I didn't think AR was anything special but I didn't think AR was a horrible movie.

queeq
It wasn't great either. Jeunet did a lot more interesting films, to me AR is also the worst film in his body of work.

pr1983
i didnt think alien resurrection was complete crap, but i did hate what they did with ripley... turning her into this killing machine that could take down aliens by herself... for me the alien series was always about seeing things and experiencing them from ripley's point of view, feeling the tension and apprehension she felt... resurrection took that way, which i didnt like...

still better than avp imo...

queeq
Oh yes... but that's not really fair comparison.

coolmovies
The first two films are good becouse of the director's and the good cast and acting . Alien 3 and four are all down hill becouuse they try to copy Alien but they both failed .

pr1983
Originally posted by queeq
Oh yes... but that's not really fair comparison.

cos avp was so bad? stick out tongue

The first two films are good becouse of the director's and the good cast and acting . Alien 3 and four are all down hill becouuse they try to copy Alien but they both failed .

i actually like 3... maybe they did try to go back to 1 in some sense, but after watching the extended cut, i quite liked it...

queeq
AVP was terrible.

Alien3 Director's Cut, that's the one to watch. No copying there. Fincher was the only one attempting to make a movie that was not primarily about the aliens. That was new, not copying. But that can only be seen in de DC.

coolmovies
I like Alien3 Director's Cut its a blood bath . I like it when the guy goes into the fan

pr1983
AVP was terrible.

Alien3 Director's Cut, that's the one to watch. No copying there. Fincher was the only one attempting to make a movie that was not primarily about the aliens. That was new, not copying. But that can only be seen in de DC.

i agree they made it less about the alien, and when they did bring it in, they did mix in a bit of mythology too about how some would worship the creature, which i found interesting...

i think there is a little bit of copying on a very basic level, but not in a bad way whatsoever...

coolmovies
But even after 30 years the orignial is still a shocking movie . Did you know riddly wanted a man to be a leader of the crew but Sigourney Weaver got the role .

pr1983
But even after 30 years the orignial is still a shocking movie . Did you know riddly wanted a man to be a leader of the crew but Sigourney Weaver got the role .

yeah... i also heard he wanted ripley to die at the end too...

exanda kane
AVP was terrible.

Maybe it's high time I got myself a copy of Alien3 Director's Cut then. I like David Fincher's stuff, even if he is a tad overrated.

queeq
I think you should. I alwasy thought Alien 3 sucked big time, major copy of Alien... until I saw this: the twenty minutes in the middle they cut out made all the difference.

coolmovies
But does the movie scare you ? no only alien can do that

queeq
Well, the scary part was gone already. I mean the basic trick to the original is gone. I thought Fincher made a good attempt to focus on the impact such an alien intrusion has on the people. Especially after Cameron's action hour.

coolmovies
Hay queeq did you see this in the cinema when it came out ?

queeq
Alien? No...I think I only saw Aliens in the theater.

coolmovies
ohh ok

High Priest
Yeah the first aliens was the best a true classic.

queeq
Aliens? wink

coolmovies
I agree aliens was the best ALIENS !!!!!!!!!! Game over man Game over

queeq
Hehehe

coolmovies
great shot

queeq
One of many.

ragesRemorse
Hay queeq did you see this in the cinema when it came out ?

I saw alien in the theaters during the recent Re-Release...,i fell asleep though. I was SO PISSED at myself "you suck, Rages...,SUCK HARD" mad

queeq
Who did you have to suck hard?

exanda kane
That's a Tobias moment if there ever was one.

Faith27
Will they ever make another sequel of this film?

ragesRemorse
Who did you have to suck hard?

Do you think i'm the type of person that keeps track or even asks for names? wink

queeq
No. I am sorry. wink

Devil King
Despite actually liking the 3rd Aliens film, I still can't reconcile Ripley being involved in all 3(4) films. I realize her involvement was the impetus for the aliens being involved in teh 3rd, but surely the species has tormented someone else.

AVP sucked...and I've not seen the latest film. I don't even know if it's out yet. There are a number of pretty good books about AVP that would have served as a far better script for the movie(s). Would an entire movie without dialouge really be all that bad? I mean, the action could have been a clear substitute for actual dialouge.

queeq
Well, a good story will do for me. I don't care if there's dialogue or not.

AVP2 is out and apparantly even worse than AVP. I don't even dare watch it, too painful as AVP1 was quite a terrible experience.

I wonder what Alien5 is gonna be like... I dread it.

coolmovies
there not gonna make five

queeq
THere are rumours...

Raoul
THere are rumours...

really?

coolmovies
yes there are rumours but they are not true

Toku King
My favorite was "Aliens".

"Let go of her, you *****!"

Classic.

queeq
yes there are rumours but they are not true

We can only hope.

coolmovies
There is no point its gonna be crap . Unless they start the whole story again just like batman

queeq
Well... this is not a thing you can just start over I think. You'd even have to change the Alien...

coolmovies
ya true best not make 5

big gay kirk
I sneaked into our local cinema to see Alien when I was 10.... it was a lot easier in those days!! It messed me up quite bad, and gave me nightmares, which served me right!! but it was an excellent film...

exanda kane
I saw Alien again tonight and couldn't stop meself giggling at how wonderful it is. Where has Ridley Scott's creativity gone?? Screw American Gangster.

queeq
There was plenty in Gladiator.

coolmovies
Any film made by sir Scott is outstanding you must agree ?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by exanda kane
I saw Alien again tonight and couldn't stop meself giggling at how wonderful it is. Where has Ridley Scott's creativity gone?? Screw American Gangster.

i have to disagree with you there, partner. I think Scott has become one of the finest refined craftsmen in his industry. His creativity is found in his ability to adapt his epic vision into a coherent and tight package. He has become quite a technical Director...,but not afraid to take risks. There are quite a few movies of his i dislike, but i still acknowledge them to be very well made movies. Why is it that you say he has lost his creativity? Dont you think brought a creative perspective to Black hawk down, matchstick men and kingdom of heaven?

Still not sure why Kingdom of heaven bombed. I thought the theatrical cut was aces and the Directors cut belongs in his master collection.

queeq
KoH was not his best work, it looked awesome of course. But to me it fell short in the story. BHD is superb though.

Thing is... most Scott films get better the more you watch them. But, not all of them. AG was pretty good, ranks high up in the Best Scott Films list.

coolmovies
Hay queeq Alien 3 is on monday CH 4 11pm

exanda kane
There was a reason why I didn't say "screw Gladiator" erm

Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down are a mixed bag but at least you can see his directorial mark on them, even if one is a stock historical epic and the other a showcase for Orlando Bloom and Josh Hartnett pretending to act.

Considering his artistic talents, of which I was reminded of when I watched Alien, I feel his work has deteriorated pretty badly if you take American Gangster (I haven't seen Good Year). It looked slick enough, but the grungy palette used just didn't help the film rise out of mediocrity, and in my eyes makes it look like a drab version of Blow (which is an incredibly awful film by the way).

This is the guy who made Blade Runner for christs sake! American Gangster? Just not cricket.

queeq
It's his first very sober looking film. I thought it was interesting, lots of focus on character and story.

First time I saw BHD I got lost in the commotion and identically looking soldiers. But seeing it again I found out that THAT was it's strength, taht's what war's all about: lots of nasty sh!t with soldiers that are numbers. There is no identity in an army, but when the sh!t hits the fan, there suddenly is. I thought that was clever and authentic Scott 'layering'.

But if you think AG sucks, don't even go near A Good Year. Just steer clear.

exanda kane
I didn't think it sucked admittedly, that was hyperbole on my behalf. It was a mediocre crime film, but its strengths were the good performances (Josh Brolin the best in my opinion)and a good pot of source material in there. It suffers from alot more, but I don't want to derail the topic completely.

But there were only a few moments in the entire film when I could have guessed I was watching a film by a director (supposedly) at the top of his game: the point of the film when Frank is having lunch with his brothers in the Harlem café, walks out and shoots a rival in the head, then walks back in. Credit to Denzel Washington too, but it didn't feel like a Ridley Scott moment.

Alien, on the other hand, is the nuts. Although I prefer Blade Runner.

queeq
BR rules... I agree.. That is Scott at his best. I am a great Scott fan, but his best work is indeed Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise and Gladiator. The rest is still stunning, AG is getting used to because he refrains entirely from his signature slick look.

exanda kane
Yes, but in that sense, I think it definitely lacks something, perhaps you might disagree but I think it does. And it isn't even the fact that I am expecting a Ridley Scott film at all.

Instead, when I try and look at it simply as a film itself it feels drab and empty. If Ridley Scott was trying to attain to the level of Scorsese or DePalma or Coppola he failed. I think even Mike Newell got a better angle than what was seen in AG with Donnie Brasco. In American Gangster, there is no directorial imprint and the film suffers for it.

Hopefully Scott tries to pretend to be George Lucas in a few months and announces a Directors Cut that puts me thoughts to shame though. I would like to like American Gangster, but I don't.

Röland
AVP2 is out and apparantly even worse than AVP. I don't even dare watch it, too painful as AVP1 was quite a terrible experience.
I agree with you totally.

AvP was horrible because they tried to tie it in with the original Alien movies. It would have been a better movie if they had stuck with the original Dark Horse story.

I haven't seen AvP:2 yet but I've heard it was awful, so I may just wait till it hits the movie channels.

=Tired Hiker=
I thought the first Alien movie was by far the best. It had that vibe, like The Thing, it was more of a horror movie than an action adventure film like the sequels.

coolmovies
Its still as shocking as people first saw it in the cinema

queeq
Originally posted by exanda kane
Yes, but in that sense, I think it definitely lacks something, perhaps you might disagree but I think it does. And it isn't even the fact that I am expecting a Ridley Scott film at all.

Instead, when I try and look at it simply as a film itself it feels drab and empty. If Ridley Scott was trying to attain to the level of Scorsese or DePalma or Coppola he failed. I think even Mike Newell got a better angle than what was seen in AG with Donnie Brasco. In American Gangster, there is no directorial imprint and the film suffers for it.

Hopefully Scott tries to pretend to be George Lucas in a few months and announces a Directors Cut that puts me thoughts to shame though. I would like to like American Gangster, but I don't.

I felt that way the first time I saw BHD. It got better the second time.I have that with most of Ridleys films, except KoH... that one still feels kinda empty. But I have to watch AG again, I just watched the extended edition. But it has quite a bit of useless scenes. Need to the theatrical first.

=Tired Hiker=
Its still as shocking as people first saw it in the cinema

Totally, man. Totally.

cozmyster1
ailen is shit worst movie made preditor on the other hand is better but number 2 sucks cock!! now alien vs preditor was amazingly a good come back but then they ade resuretion thing lol was allright but wudnt watch it twice

queeq
Call the men in white! Tell them to bring their nets.

coolmovies
is there gonna be AVP 3?

queeq
We can only hope.... NOT!

exanda kane
Originally posted by cozmyster1
ailen is shit worst movie made preditor on the other hand is better but number 2 sucks cock!! now alien vs preditor was amazingly a good come back but then they ade resuretion thing lol was allright but wudnt watch it twice

English pleaseeeeeeeeee smile

queeq
laughing out loud

=Tired Hiker=

I think I disagree, that is if I understand you.

coolmovies
Now with AVP2 out the whole serias is a mess . Just watch alien and aliens and forget about the rest. On the other hand Alien 3 Directors cut is amazing but still not as good as the frist two

ragesRemorse

you been sucking on that glass dick again, boy?
or is it just to much robitussin and coricidin?

coolmovies
Happy birthday alien (30th annivesery ) it came out on 25th may 1979

Scythe

Sauce?

Mindship
Long before Alien came out, there was this classic if quaint gem (often considered the inspiration for Alien)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHr0Q7I0m2E

Raoul
Alien 5 (though its a prequel) confirmed:

http://www.collider.com/2009/05/29/exclusive-tony-scott-confirms-carl-rinsch-is-directing-alien-and-its-a-prequel/

Kazenji
Lets hope they do give Carl Rinsch some creative control.

Koenig
Originally posted by Raoul
Alien 5 (though its a prequel) confirmed:

http://www.collider.com/2009/05/29/exclusive-tony-scott-confirms-carl-rinsch-is-directing-alien-and-its-a-prequel/

Sounds interesting, I wonder if they are going to do the back story of the space Jockey.

Koenig
Happy birthday alien (30th annivesery ) it came out on 25th may 1979

And has pass the test of time, still looks good now.

jinXed by JaNx
three is ok but nothing beats the orignal i saw the movies on tv and brought the box set. It has the best extres this is how box sets should be George Lucus

Nothing beats Aliens man. Aliens is where its at. Aliens is Alien to the extreme laughing out loud the most perfect sequel. Why oh why didn't fox let Ridley and Cameron come together and Direct alien 5?

coolmovies
Originally posted by Koenig
And has pass the test of time, still looks good now.

It will look better in HD

Kazenji
Yeah well lucky for those people that which to watch it in HD.

MildPossession
I saw Alien on the re release at the cinema, it was brilliant!

Shadow_King
I finally saw Alien a couple of days ago, and i would have to say that was a good movie.

MildPossession
*slaps Shadow King* - what took you so long!! stick out tongue

Kazenji
I can't even remember the last time i watched the first movie seen the second one heaps.

Shadow_King
Originally posted by MildPossession
*slaps Shadow King* - what took you so long!! stick out tongue

Well like i have always seen bits and parts of the movie but never the whole thing until a couple of days ago, but i have seen Aliens so many times, i still havent seen alien3 or alien 4 from what i heard about them i dont think i should.

MildPossession
Alien3 for me is the weakest of the main series, but I'm in the minority of really liking Alien Resurrection. Both are worth the look and are complete masterpieces compared to say Alien Vs Predator: Requiem, urgh.

Shadow_King
Finally saw Alien 3 and 4, and i am abit confused, how did ripley get pregnated with the alien in number 3???

coolmovies
The face hugger at the start of the movie thats how . Did you watch the extended version of alien 3
?

Kazenji
yeah just not ignore the nonsense with the OX for Alien 3.

Placidity
Aliens by Cameron (Biggest Legend) is my favorite by a long shot.

So many intense moments, and he also fit in lots of humour in there aswell. Bill Paxton as Hudson was the best!

coolmovies
A L I E N the best horror movie ever made best discribed by empire magazine as a haunted house sci fi opener. Every shot (Nostromo) every scene and every line of the film is a classic . The first 20 mins of Alien is pure classic becouse notting happens and your left asking yourself where is the ALIEN ??

In Space no one can hear you screem....

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Shadow_King
Well like i have always seen bits and parts of the movie but never the whole thing until a couple of days ago, but i have seen Aliens so many times, i still havent seen alien3 or alien 4 from what i heard about them i dont think i should.

From a previous poster, i don't think older movies should be redone in HD unless they clean up the effects, i was watching stargate the other day in HD and i could see the strings on the ships (very bad).

Don't watch 3 and 4 they are a waste.

For me Aliens ended at the end of Aliens, 3 and 4 never happened.
I don't even own them.
The only redeming quality of 3 was the alien running like a dog and with 4 it was interesting just to see how far the company would go to get them. but the whole alien with a womb and the mama scene ugh.

if they do go back and do a sequel they should start it from the end of aliens, and have ripley wake up and say "what a terrible dream"
Even James Cameron said 3 was a waste cause they killed off all these characters they worked so hard to build up.

coolmovies
Good points but that wont change alien3 becouse its allready been made

darthmaul1
Good points but that wont change alien3 becouse its allready been made

You never know, they did that with the INCREDIBLE HULK, and made it as if the first hulk movie never existed. so it can be done.
and they did that with batman begins, they don't always have to carry on from where the last movie left off in the franchies.

coolmovies
Yes but for example the orignal Batman (1989) is still a classic even if the dark knight is ten times better.

Making another movie wont kill off the orignal movie . I saw STAR WARS ROTS and i loved it but out of the six movies Empire strikes back still is the best even if it is 30 years old.

coolmovies
Alien poster abit late now but to see it in 35mm print screen on the big screen must be cool

darthmaul1
Yes but for example the orignal Batman (1989) is still a classic even if the dark knight is ten times better.

Making another movie wont kill off the orignal movie . I saw STAR WARS ROTS and i loved it but out of the six movies Empire strikes back still is the best even if it is 30 years old.

Same here i loved all the prequal movies but ESB is still the best.
I do agree that making another movie wont kill off the original like you stated with batman 1989. but with the incredible hulk they made it so if you so wanted, it would kill off the ang lee version.
But what i am talking about is starting a sequel to aliens where ripley newt hicks and whats left of bishop are still in hyper sleep, it would be as if alien 3 and 4 never happened.

The Nuul
Alien 3 is pretty good, theres not a whole lot of action, the acting was alright, simple plot, with some suspense. For, me its tied at 2nd place with Alien.

4 is kinda goofy but could have been a lot worse.

I'd say if u havent see these two, then see em and make up your own opinion. I bought them both for a buck on VHS.

coolmovies
You still buy VHS? anyway The main reasion why i like alien 3 extended version is that you get to know what happens to the other cell mates its very gory and very bloody film. If you remember in Aliens the Alien queen was angry becouse all her eggs where distroyed . Bishop said there was a Alien egg on board all along (alien 3) The Alien queen left the egg on purpose and it was very different from all the other aggs . This may explain why in alien 3 why the alien was very mad and bloody !!

The only question i have is if Bishop knew about the egg why didn't he distroy it ???????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.