So EA is basically trying to buy Grand theft auto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
read for you self:

http://kotaku.com/360123/ea-makes-offer-to-buy-take-2

@st
For the love of God dont let them do it. erm

Neo Darkhalen
EA buys GTA

All the way down it goes...

@st
I can see it now, in GTA V we will be paying to unlock guns and cars that are already on the disc. erm

Neo Darkhalen
Then there will be EA advertising everywhere.

OB1-adobe
Yeah this would be bad. EA has gone down and I mean downhill. They're the new Midway in my opinion

@st
Yeah, nothing better than Burnout Paradise billboards in a game set in the past like Vice City and San Andreas.

jaden101
it says "to help them out with the GTA 4 launch"...how in gods name do they need help with the launch...it's going to be one of the most popular games ever released regardless of how's it's pushed

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by jaden101
it says "to help them out with the GTA 4 launch"...how in gods name do they need help with the launch...it's going to be one of the most popular games ever released regardless of how's it's pushed

So true, It's GTA nuff said....EA has not produced one quality game in a long time; if they were to get GTA, not only would they completely change it, they would also limit the game down, make you pay for stuff; then advertise there own crap everywhere...Rockstar don't do it, just don't!!!!

@st
I know Take 2 is hurting for money after the hot coffee problems and IV's delay, but if they just hold off till GTA launches, it will be swimming in cash.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by @st
I know Take 2 is hurting for money after the hot coffee problems and IV's delay, but if they just hold off till GTA launches, it will be swimming in cash.

It would be foolish to give in to EA, they will make more of GTA then what they could take and run of EA...hopefully there greed will stay suppressed.

Why don't they invest that 2 billion in....oh I don't know....quality games perhaps?

OB1-adobe
"Kill you to death"

laughing

That comic has been so disapointing. Probably the biggest misadvertised comic I have ever seen.

anyway back on topic..............

EA's games are seriously made for idiots. Shoot this, drive that, throw the ball, catch the ball.

They couldn't even match the level of creativity that Sam houser's team can

@st
TAKE 2 SAYS NO!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186638.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

Things can change, but for now I am a happy man.

Kazenji
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Yeah this would be bad. EA has gone down and I mean downhill. They're the new Midway in my opinion

So your saying Midway is good now and EA has taken over the crapness ?

Smasandian
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
"Kill you to death"

laughing

That comic has been so disapointing. Probably the biggest misadvertised comic I have ever seen.

anyway back on topic..............

EA's games are seriously made for idiots. Shoot this, drive that, throw the ball, catch the ball.

They couldn't even match the level of creativity that Sam houser's team can

Given EA mass amount of games I seriously think your wrong.

Look at what some notable games that have been released by EA, or published by EA.

Later Sim franchise, including Spore
Medal Of Honor franchise (which started the whole WW2 franchise, and main reason for the great COD franchise)
Battlefield series (very innovating MP game)
Crysis
Skate
Madden
Black and White
Earl Weaver Baseball
Sid Meier games
Ultima Online

I understand that EA doesnt always give great products, but to say EA games are made for idiots is completely idiotic. People dont like EA because its EA, but without them, well, the videogame industry wouldnt be the same. I assume you dont like playing sports game but they're sport games are very important and have made great strides with them. Look at the original Madden for example. Where would the sport videogame industry be without it?

Raijin
Originally posted by Smasandian

Look at what some notable games that have been released by EA, or published by EA.

Medal Of Honor franchise (which started the whole WW2 franchise, and main reason for the great COD franchise)
Crysis
Skate
Madden
Black and White
Earl Weaver Baseball
Sid Meier games
Ultima Online

I understand that EA doesnt always give great products, but to say EA games are made for idiots is completely idiotic. People dont like EA because its EA, but without them, well, the videogame industry wouldnt be the same. I assume you dont like playing sports game but they're sport games are very important and have made great strides with them. Look at the original Madden for example. Where would the sport videogame industry be without it?
I just want to point out that some of those games aren't even made by EA's own studios; Crysis was made by Crytech, Battlefield by Dice and Black & White by Lionhead.

Neo Darkhalen

Crysis
Skate
Madden
Black and White
Earl Weaver Baseball
Sid Meier games
Ultima Online

Co-signed with Radjin, also MOH was only good for the first three titles now it's just not worth the money, Wolfenstien started this war FPS shooter idea, so that is responsible for COD rather then MOH.

I never liked there sports titles, they bore me, battlefield=MOH, and finally enough sim titles please EA, go make something new.

@st
Everyone is pointing out that they are trying to buy GTA, but it is much more than that. EA will be dipping their hand in the Bioshock franchise(pay for plasmids?), but more importantly to me they would be buying the 2K sports line, effectively killing competition in the sports market and most likely ending innovation.

Would EA kill off Midnight Club since its a competitor(and superior) to Need for Speed.

Neo Darkhalen
2K...Bioshock....Oblivion...I really hope they say No to this.

Outbound
Originally posted by Raijin
I just want to point out that some of those games aren't even made by EA's own studios; Crysis was made by Crytech, Battlefield by Dice and Black & White by Lionhead.

EA funds the developers; they call the shots, they can pull the plug if they think the game will bomb etc..

Also, EA publishes Lord of the Rings, Command & Conquer, Mass Effect (PC) ...

I think EA would only be able to affect future games anyway, not released games since the developers would most likely retain ownership, so no current games would suffer from it.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
2K...Bioshock....Oblivion...I really hope they say No to this.

They've already said no, stop crying about it, its not the end of the world. I dont even care whose name is on a game, whether its Activision, EA, Microsoft whatever, as long as the game is good.

Neo Darkhalen
EA don't make good games...simple as....stop getting so wound up, I see you have no targeted anyone else's displeasure through this deal, so I refuse to dignify your post.

My post was pretty plain compared to others, very simple I hope they say no, stop crying over your own failure.

Outbound
Because you posted 6 times in the thread, repeating yourself over and over. You make ignorant claims like this:

EA don't make good games

Which is making your posts look like stupid fanboy arguments. And you've given no rational thought to the topic at hand except 'OOH ITS BAD THE GAMES INDUSTRY WILL COLLAPSE'.

so I refuse to dignify your post.

stop crying over your own failure.

*sigh*...

Give us some rational ideas on why EA buying Take Two would be bad for:
a) the developers
b) the games
c) us gamers.

They have the funding to back up smaller developers, they have published good games in the past, and some of their recent games (Skate) have brought in better inovations to change game genres so we're not all sitting playing the same thing over and over. Compare Skate to Tony Hawk's 150th game and see the difference.

Your turn, post away, and if you cant then go away, you've said what you think over and over and its annoying reading half a page of your posts.

WrathfulDwarf
Evil Arts

@st
Originally posted by Outbound

Give us some rational ideas on why EA buying Take Two would be bad for:
a) the developers
b) the games
c) us gamers.

They would own all sports games outside of Sony, and Madden has shown that lack of competition is bad for the game.

Jin Saotome
I don't think Rock Star is gonna give up GTA. That's like nintendo sellin Mario off.

S_D_J
Originally posted by @st
They would own all sports games outside of Sony, and Madden has shown that lack of competition is bad for the game.

not all... what about Konami?..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

@st
Thats soccer, that doesnt count. stick out tongue

Smasandian
Originally posted by Raijin

Did I say they were made by EA?

No, I said they were published by EA, which would be the case for GTA.

This is the problem that people dont understand. EA doesnt make alot of games themselves as EA, they have studios which they bought out that make those games. Every major firm does this. 2k is the same thing. 2k didnt make Bioshock, Irrational Games made Bioshock, but its owned, or partly owned by 2k. DICE is an EA developer, but isnt called EA Sweden, its called DICE.

Do I like EA. I dont really care about them, there just another company, but to say that all EA games are shit is completely wrong.

Individual developers under EA get the credit for good games, but when the game is bad, EA gets the blame.

Also, what would you think would happen if EA didnt publish the games that I mentioned? They gave them the money to produce those games. They could of not been made if EA didnt bring the money in. They probably would, but we'll never know.

Raijin
Did I say they were made by EA?

No, I said they were published by EA, which would be the case for GTA.

This is the problem that people dont understand. EA doesnt make alot of games themselves as EA, they have studios which they bought out that make those games. Every major firm does this. 2k is the same thing. 2k didnt make Bioshock, Irrational Games made Bioshock, but its owned, or partly owned by 2k. DICE is an EA developer, but isnt called EA Sweden, its called DICE.

Do I like EA. I dont really care about them, there just another company, but to say that all EA games are shit is completely wrong.

Individual developers under EA get the credit for good games, but when the game is bad, EA gets the blame.

Also, what would you think would happen if EA didnt publish the games that I mentioned? They gave them the money to produce those games. They could of not been made if EA didnt bring the money in. They probably would, but we'll never know.
Never said you did, just pointing something out. Though I might of missread something.

I never said EA = Bad. But some of the games developed by themselves are crap, but for me that's mostly a matter of opinion because I don't like most sports games that are too much alike eachother. I'm glad companies like EA exists, without them I would probably not be able to play, say, Halo, Battlefield 2 etc etc.

Smasandian
It was more of an broad look at what people think about EA. Just look at this thread, everybody is saying that EA is bad and they make crap games.

I just mentioned that not all EA games are bad and some of them are pretty influential also. They might not be made EA in the sense that it doesnt have EA name on it, but most of those games are made by companies under the EA corporation.

Morridini
Why should we care? They won't change the companies they buy, they just...own them.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by jaden101

I was thinking the same thing laughing out loud

People whom have never played a video game in their life is aware of what GTA is.

EA is trying to become the wallmart of video game companies by buying everything they can, from licenses, developers to integrity. On the other hand, EA is giving Take 2 an offer they cant refuse. 2 billion dollars for a moderately sized company is a very good deal. Im sure, if take 2 pushed they could get another 2 out of EA.

I would actually be disappointed if Take 2 sold. Rockstar has released the most entertaining and interesting games i have played in this past decade. Red dead Revolver, the Warriors, Bully, midnight club and GTA. considering that only midnight club and GTA were the standout successes of these games. I'm sure they will highly consider selling. It will be a sad day when they sell.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Morridini
Why should we care? They won't change the companies they buy, they just...own them.

It would no longer be Take 2's philosophy and standards, but EA's. Where Rackstar games would have been more than happy to take a risk, EA would most likely, play it safe. It is the vanishing independence in gaming that is causing redundancy in video games. The one thing that Take 2 games have always been is original. I am more than sure that this would change with EA. I'm also thinking that some people would retire laughing out loud

OB1-adobe
oh my god

http://www.eatake2.com/

@st
Hooray for professionalism. roll eyes (sarcastic)

OB1-adobe

Smasandian
Originally posted by Morridini

Exactly.

Rockstar would still be able to create games that they want to create and release them when they're ready.

No matter who owns them, thats going to be the case.

I personally dont care either. There are studios under EA that still produce quality games and GTA would still be one of those.

FistOfThe North
EA is the biggest video game publisher on the planet for a reason. They're popular, they sell the most games.'

I honestly think that it be wouldn't too bad of an idea if EA purchased Grand Theft Auto. It'll be a (well needed) drastic change for the series.

@st
If you have been paying attention to GTA IV then you would know its drastically changed, more than any sequel I have seen since RE4.

If EA changed anything, it would be for the worse.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by @st
If you have been paying attention to GTA IV then you would know its drastically changed, more than any sequel I have seen since RE4.

If EA changed anything, it would be for the worse.

What's changed?

The most dramatic change that's happen to the series was the Grand Theft Auto 2 overhead view to it's current view (that's still used). And to me Vice City, from a few years ago, was the last good grand theft auto. It's most likely the most popular out of the series. I thought it was the funnest one, if that's even a word.

But if you ask me, the entire thing needs to be revisioned. The markets saturated with grand theft auto types of games. Time for something (maybe even completely) new along the lines of gta tradition and EA may bring about that change due to it's pride it takes in innovation and ingenuity.

EA Games: Challenge Everything...

@st
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
What's changed?

The most dramatic change that's happen to the series was the Grand Theft Auto 2 overhead view to it's current view (that's still used). And to me Vice City, from a few years ago, was the last good grand theft auto. It's most likely the most popular out of the series. I thought it was the funnest one, if that's even a word.

But if you ask me, the entire thing needs to be revisioned. The markets saturated with grand theft auto types of games. Time for something (maybe even completely) new along the lines of gta tradition and EA may bring about that change due to it's pride it takes in innovation and ingenuity.

EA Games: Challenge Everything...

A completely new combat system.

New ways to immerse you in the game universe through heavy use of your phone and the internet.

The euphoria physics engine which amazes everyone who has seen it.

A still unannounced online multiplayer component.

Completely redone police chases.

New emphasis on growing relationships with other characters to aid you in the game.

grey fox
EA does every shitty movie tie-in video game on the planet. While I dislike the GTA series, even it doesn't deserve this.

Smasandian
I saw something funny today.

According to this website, http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9393&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

Who took all the average scores of games from each publisher, EA is better than most of the publishers.

Also, everybody complains that EA does bad sports game and then use 2k as example of better but out of all of the sports that EA, and 2k, basketball is the only sport that 2k does very well. This years 2k Football game sucked, the baseball game this year is get so-so reviews and NHL 2k8 is the same game since 5 years ago.

On the other hand, Madden 08 is a good game, NBA Live is considered not so good, NHL 08 I heard is awesome and FIFA series isnt bad.

Both companies are roughly the same when it comes to thier franchise and I will go even further and say that EA sports game actually changed a bit every year.

OB1-adobe
I saw something funny today.

According to this website, http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9393&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

Who took all the average scores of games from each publisher, EA is better than most of the publishers.

Also, everybody complains that EA does bad sports game and then use 2k as example of better but out of all of the sports that EA, and 2k, basketball is the only sport that 2k does very well. This years 2k Football game sucked, the baseball game this year is get so-so reviews and NHL 2k8 is the same game since 5 years ago.

On the other hand, Madden 08 is a good game, NBA Live is considered not so good, NHL 08 I heard is awesome and FIFA series isnt bad.

Both companies are roughly the same when it comes to thier franchise and I will go even further and say that EA sports game actually changed a bit every year.

I don't htink its a coincidense that the last year that Madden was good was 2005 when there was still competition. Then they monopolized it and madden went to crap ever since.

Smasandian
Yeah, considering this year Madden is pretty damn good and hardly think that the last great year was 2005. Madden 06 for the 360 was shit, while Madden 07 was an improvement but Madden 08 is a pretty good football game.

Why doesnt anybody talk about how 2k monopolized baseball, and thats been so-so for awhile

Smasandian
Speaking of 2k Sports.

You want to complain about Madden being the same.

How bout MLB 2k. The graphics are worst the last year, the new mechanics are absolute shit, the menu design is actually worst than last years and to top it off, I've played 4 baseball games, each time, I havnt finished till the 4th inning because it crashed. First time happenend near the end of the 3rd, second time in the second, third time in the end of the first and the 4th and final time was after the second batter.

The funny thing, I had the same problem with 2k baseketball and 2k hockey when they first came out last year. I cant even play the ****ing game.

Give me EA sports over 2k sports anyday. Atleast the ****ing game works. And its a good game (outside of baseketball).

**** you 2k Sports, I'm never buying a game from you unless I rented it first and extensively played it.

FistOfThe North
Damn.

I think EA just bought Grand Theft Auto.

At least that's what i thought i just heard on the radio.

@st
No, they just started their plans for a hostile takeover today.

Smasandian
In the end, I dont really care.

I know EA will allow Rockstar do its own thing. They wont rush it.

((The_Anomaly))
Goddamn EA

Smasandian
If they do takeover Take 2, I'll be happy to have EA get the ****ing baseball license back. 2k has butchered it to hell.

The only think I dont like about is that EA now will have a monopoly on sports game but other than that, games that would of been released by Take 2 will still be done by the companies that produce them, EA will only own the property, or even just published them. I dont think they can get GTA from Rockstar, or any other big franchises that 2k, or Take 2 have.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by @st
No, they just started their plans for a hostile takeover today.

your "why so serious" sig logo looks like my home state of massachusetts.

@st
If they do takeover Take 2, I'll be happy to have EA get the ****ing baseball license back. 2k has butchered it to hell.

The only think I dont like about is that EA now will have a monopoly on sports game but other than that, games that would of been released by Take 2 will still be done by the companies that produce them, EA will only own the property, or even just published them. I dont think they can get GTA from Rockstar, or any other big franchises that 2k, or Take 2 have.

Thats the only plus I see, is the baseball license, and maybe the hopes that EA will bring some of 2K football guys over to help with Madden. I still wish it wouldnt happen, but im not that worried that EA will tamper with anything. Im more worried about key people in Take 2/R* using clauses in their contract to jump ship.

Smasandian
I also dont want it to happen just competition is good, but everybody who is opposed to this is purely on the fact that EA is bad, which isnt the case.

You can make a good point stating the EA is a better publisher than Take 2.

I dont think they key people in Rockstar will jump ship. They'll still stay. Another other companie like 2k Boston will still be together. This is purely for publishing rights I think. That's it. Will still get the same good games that they produce and maybe 2k Sports can learn how to program better and have some sort of ****ing quality control.

Lastly, I dont like 2k Football. The game I played this year sucked balls. It felt slow and old and seriously ****ed up deep balls. I really like the Madden series actually.

@st
I just think Madden today is still behind NFL 2K5. All-Pro was bad, but it didnt have the license and it was their first game in years.

I think the 2K NFL games were so much more immersive, the gameplay was so much smoother and realistic to me. And Madden doesnt even bother with presentation despite having ESPN behind them, 2K took ESPN and ran with it, playing the game felt like it was on ESPN, the halftime show, highlights, Sportscenter showing highlights of games that week.

Smasandian
Meh, I dont really care about all that stuff.

I liked Madden gameplay. Tried All-Pro, which was the exact same game as 2k and it sucked.

OB1-adobe
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2761.html

..........it sounds like there is a high probability of this happening.

how do hostile takeovers work exactly?

The JenR
I dont think they have enough time.

EDIT: Shit, this is @st. roll eyes (sarcastic)

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by The JenR
I dont think they have enough time.

EDIT: Shit, this is @st. roll eyes (sarcastic)

time is innevitable.

The issue is this shitty company trying to buy out some thing we all love

Smasandian
Hmmm.

Pretty sure Rockstar will still be able to develop GTA games.

I still dont understand how EA having the GTA license will affect GTA. Rockstar is GTA. EA wont stop Rockstar developing it.

Do you know that Take 2 owns the license for GTA, not Rockstar. Take 2 could potentially take away the right for Rockstar to develop GTA games. Why would EA be any different.

I have more of problem of EA's taken over the sports of 2k than GTA.

OB1-adobe

OB1-adobe
this too:

EA Takeover
In mid February, EA proposed an acquisition of Take-Two Interactive for about $2 billion. According to Game Informer's April issue, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that EA considered a deal for Take-Two last spring but axed it at the last minute. Take-Two's board of directors declined the cash deal. But EA is still pursued at acquiring Take-Two by stating in its letter, "If you are unwilling to proceed on that basis, however, we may pursue other means, including the public disclosure of this letter, to bring our offer and the compelling value it represents to the attentions of Take-Two's shareholders." Later, Take-Two released a statement explaining why the company has rejected the offer, "In addition to undervaluing key elements of our business, EA's proposal fails to recognize the value we are building through our ongoing turnaround efforts, which will further revitalize Take-Two." Take-Two has offered to discuss the offer, after Grand Theft Auto IV comes out on April 29th. EA's proposed takeover of Take-Two is an obvious response to the big merger between Activision and Vivendi. If EA does acquire Take-Two, it will end the company's main competition in the sports genre of videogames. Both EA and Riccitiello believe that they can take Take-Two's games and sell more of them.

Smasandian
Yeah, I know EA is trying to buy Take 2. I know. Personally, I dont think its a good deal.

But it doesnt necessarily affect how GTA will be developed.

As you said EA is a publisher and developer. They bought numerous companies like Westwood and Maxis and recently Bioware. Know what? Those companies still make the games we enjoy. Bioware is still making Bioware products. Mass Effect 2 will be developed by Bioware and not EA. It will just be owned by EA.

Same thing will happen with GTA. Rockstar will be developing GTA, not EA internal developing firms. Still dont see a problem with how EA owning the GTA franchise will affect GTA when Rockstar will still be developing those games.

If the case that they are not, well thats Rockstar not wanting to do GTA anymore but I'm pretty sure EA is a very smart company and will realize that Rockstar is GTA and will continue to develop GTA games.

Do you have any evidence that states that EA will develop GTA by itself and not allow Rockstar to develop it?

Have you been reading any post so far on where I dont like 2k Sports. I think they're shit. Actually, 2k sports doesnt even release working titles because every 2k sport game I played has had numerous crashes every 3-4 games I play, even going further that the new MLB 2k8, I could even finish past the first 4 innings of any game I played.

I dont like EA doing this but I dont think it will affect GTA whatsoever. It will be the same GTA. The wiki fails to mention that in any company on where a game that does poorly will probably face the same sort of consquences when the game doesnt sell at all.

@st
Mass Effect is a good example, the Bioware buyout was a few weeks or more before the game was released and it didnt change the game in anyway. EA also stepped up in defending the game after that bullshit controversy that dumb ***** started.

Smasandian
Exactly. Bioware will still continue to be Bioware.

Crytek has said that the agreement with EA allows them to do something bigger and better because EA has a ton of cash. They dont have cut anything back because of the lack of money.

ThoraxeRMG
Didn't know, and now I don't care.
GTA has gotten shit boring anyways.

OB1-adobe
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/24/rumor-ea-purchases-gta-community-site-for-3-4-million

this getting out of hand

Smasandian
What's so awful about that?

It's just a bloody website.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.