Marvel/DC Debate Contest!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Master-Borg
DC Team: Batman, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Martian Manhunter, and Superman

ve

Marvel Team: Captain America, Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Beast, and Professor Xavier

Which team wins a debate topic that will consist of many topics?

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Master-Borg
DC Team: Batman, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Martian Manhunter, and Superman

ve

Marvel Team: Captain America, Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Beast, and Professor Xavier

Which team wins a debate topic that will consist of many topics?

Bro im thinking you had better specify the topics because it will be easier to determine who wins.

Master-Borg
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Bro im thinking you had better specify the topics because it will be easier to determine who wins.

the topics will cover a wide range of issues from politics and science to arts and philosophy

Phantom Zone
the topics will cover a wide range of issues from politics and science to arts and philosophy

Ok bro but its like if most of those topics are science Cap wont do that well. If its philosophy and politics he would do better than some others. You really need to specify again the number of topics and what they are otherwise its pure speculation who wins....yeah I know theres speculation in everything but this is pure speculation.

CaptainStoic
Team DC wins this, Brainiac tips the scale. Why didn't you include Reed Richards? Captain America isn't a scientist, Batman is.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
Team DC wins this, Brainiac tips the scale. Why didn't you include Reed Richards? Captain America isn't a scientist, Batman is.

no expression

How the hell you gonna know who wins when you dont know what they're talking about? no expression

carnage52
team dc would do better in science and possibly philosophy due to jonn

Newjak
Originally posted by carnage52
team dc would do better in science and possibly philosophy due to jonn Yeah well

Marvel would do better in Military Tactics no expression

But yeah a topic is needed.

psycho gundam
what the hell is brainiac doing here? he is a supercomputer for christ's sake. you might as well put grandmaster or the contemplator against him.

silver surfer also good at making a case.

carnage52
Originally posted by Newjak
Yeah well

Marvel would do better in Military Tactics no expression

But yeah a topic is needed. wtf what about braniac the best tactician there is!(except kc batman)

Soljer
You defined the topic recursively without any basecase.

So it's a topic made of topics made of topics made of topics...

JerseyMage
lol

Badabing
Originally posted by Soljer
You defined the topic recursively without any basecase.

So it's a topic made of topics made of topics made of topics... We got the point without the spam.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Badabing
We got the point without the spam. I think part of the point was the "infinite loop error". It sort of loses some of the impact and part of the point when you trim something that wasn't supposed to be trimmed.

grey fox
We (that being ourselves) cannot make a decision until it's revealed what the two teams particular subjects of debate our. Hopefully something concrete.

Soljer
Originally posted by Badabing
We got the point without the spam.

My way was better....

Starscream M
I really can't come up with concrete debate topics, sorry.

Creshosk
So in otherwords this is supposed to go off of who's more persuasive intelligent rather than who's more knowledgable intelligent?

As far as that goes I know that Beast and Xavier have a bit of experience in debate what with their involvement in their governemetn on the whole mutant agenda.

You can have a wide range of knowledge on various subjects... but still not be a very persuasive debator.

At the risk of sounding arrogant I can use myself as an example. I know about many things on many different topics. I don't consider myself to be a very good debator though.

DigiMark007
They're not really needed, so no worries.

Basically, Brainy should = win here. It would depend on how it is judged, though. If we're only counting the strength of the argument, Brainy > any of them I would think. But if the speech itself (delivery, charisma, etc.) are taken into account, then we'd have the boyscouts seeing who can come up with the most inspiring speech. My money would be on Cap.

Starscream M
this wasn't meant to be about who's more knowledgeable, but more about who's more persuasive

I chose people who are excellent speakers in different ways: batman is concise but hits the point, xavier is very philosophical like Martin Luther King, Doom is very arrogant but persuasive, Captain America is not verbose but when he speaks people listen, etc etc

Starscream M
Originally posted by DigiMark007
They're not really needed, so no worries.

Basically, Brainy should = win here. It would depend on how it is judged, though. If we're only counting the strength of the argument, Brainy > any of them I would think. But if the speech itself (delivery, charisma, etc.) are taken into account, then we'd have the boyscouts seeing who can come up with the most inspiring speech. My money would be on Cap.

yeah, we're counting on the whole shabang....substance plus delivery

Brainiac would have a whole lot of substance, but he lacks passion or emotion, which helps delivery

capt is great at rousing people, but he is a lightweight knowledge wise compared to others

Doom is passionate and knowledgeable, but his arrogance can be distracting

etc etc

zeel
while the d.c and marvel teams are debating tonys starks (iron man) will be in the closet down the hall banging the cute blonde waitress so marvel is already at a handicap from the start and out a guy =(

grey fox
Originally posted by Starscream M
this wasn't meant to be about who's more knowledgeable, but more about who's more persuasive

I chose people who are excellent speakers in different ways: batman is concise but hits the point, xavier is very philosophical like Martin Luther King, Doom is very arrogant but persuasive, Captain America is not verbose but when he speaks people listen, etc etc

I always had the impression that Captain America was a very down to earth public speaker. He's a working class joe and doesn't aspire above his (self-perceived) station.

This --of course-- immensely aids his speech delivery.

carnage52
Originally posted by zeel
while the d.c and marvel teams are debating tonys starks (iron man) will be in the closet down the hall banging the cute blonde waitress so marvel is already at a handicap from the start and out a guy =( arguedance

darthgoober
A lack of topics makes judging this thing based on the positives of each impossible, so I'm gonna base mine off the negatives. Unfortunately the two weakest links I can find are both on team DC. The way I see it, team DC has two(and possibly three) weak links.

Martian Manhunter- MM often comes off as somewhat detached and a lack of passion about your stance will often hurt your chances in a formal debate. Also, fair or not his bizarre appearance will hurt him with many potential judges unless they're already friends with him.

Superman- Yeah Supes has charisma out the wazoo and his rep speaks for itself, but being the worlds biggest and most famous boyscout has it's drawbacks as well. Supes comes off as "high and mighty" to many lower end meta's and regular humans so there's a decent chance that judges from either of those groups would see his arguments as unrealistic

Marvel on the other hand has no real weak links. Cap will suffer from some of the same bias that Supes's does, but at the end of the day he's still "one of us".

Seems like Marvel should take it more often than not IMO.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by darthgoober
A lack of topics makes judging this thing based on the positives of each impossible, so I'm gonna base mine off the negatives. Unfortunately the two weakest links I can find are both on team DC. The way I see it, team DC has two(and possibly three) weak links.

Martian Manhunter- MM often comes off as somewhat detached and a lack of passion about your stance will often hurt your chances in a formal debate. Also, fair or not his bizarre appearance will hurt him with many potential judges unless they're already friends with him.

Superman- Yeah Supes has charisma out the wazoo and his rep speaks for itself, but being the worlds biggest and most famous boyscout has it's drawbacks as well. Supes comes off as "high and mighty" to many lower end meta's and regular humans so there's a decent chance that judges from either of those groups would see his arguments as unrealistic

Marvel on the other hand has no real weak links. Cap will suffer from some of the same bias that Supes's does, but at the end of the day he's still "one of us".

Seems like Marvel should take it more often than not IMO.

agreed. I also woul dlike to add that Tony oozes charisma and charm. Billionaire playboy... i mean Bruce is a different type of billionaire. I always believed Lex Luthor to be charismatic. I mean he is the evil corporate empire and yet he still is able make people like him (normal people and his super villian buddies). I can only see Lex being the charismatic and persuasive one on the DC team.

I think Marvel team would be best at persuasiveness and hence win a debate and its not like they don't have a few knowledgeable ppl on their side just as a reminder.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.