Indiana Jones Special Edition DVD's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stun

exanda kane
Argh. You got here first with the news.

Link for anyone: http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

And I "suppose I'll have to get them."

Darth Venom
Nice, would have loved audio commentary on the films

Sadako of Girth
Am I to understand from this that there will be no DTS....?

sad

Darth Venom
Pic's found here: http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20080222.html

queeq
So what's so different from the previous box set?? It seems there very little really additional except from some small features. Most of the topics seem to be addressed in de long Making of... doc on the previous box set...

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Venom
Nice, would have loved audio commentary on the films

Spielberg doesn't do audio commentary - I think he believes it distracts from the viewing pleasure, and he wants people in the moment of watching. He makes up for it with extensive interviews in the special features section; his storytelling skills are great. Lucas doesn't mind doing commentary, but since he's not the director he'd respect Spielberg's wishes.

exanda kane
There really doesn't seem to be alot of difference between these and the original DVD release (which was fantastic by the way), but who knows, might be worth a spin.

And I do agree there roughrider, even if you are noting his storytelling in the film medium (which I don't think you are, but best make sure), the guy has a great way of telling tales in an interview. Honestly, if I was to have a pick of any director I would want to have an in depth conversation with, Spielberg would be right near the top, if not the top.

Stun
hell, i'd love that opportunitywink

queeq
You'd be listening a lot. Spielberg strikes me more as a talker than a listener. Hehehe

exanda kane
Fine by me.

coolmovies
Should have been out on HD

queeq
Maybe it will be that as well.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by roughrider
Spielberg doesn't do audio commentary - I think he believes it distracts from the viewing pleasure, and he wants people in the moment of watching. He makes up for it with extensive interviews in the special features section; his storytelling skills are great. Lucas doesn't mind doing commentary, but since he's not the director he'd respect Spielberg's wishes.

Thats bullshit from Speilberg.

His argument would hold up if there wasn't the option to NOT listen to the commentary track. What a lousy excuse.

Between WOTW and hiring Michael Bay for TFs lately, now no DTS or commentary on this and a bullshit excuse given, Im really worrying about Speilberg's cred. I think it died after Schindlers list in the mid-early nineties.

And Queeq is right about the extras too. Sounds like a last DVDcash-gathering-exercise to help pay for Indy IV before he charges for the blue ray editions.

queeq
Hell no. Spielberg is one of the few directors that just what he wants. He's not the only one not to do commentary. David Lynch for instance or the Coen Brothers.
Personally I can understand it: a filmmaker makes a film to say what he wants, why elobarote on it.

I listened to Ridley Scott's commentary on Blade Runner: Final Cut. It was boring and hardly talked about the scenes, just about how they came up with stuff. But that was already in the docs. So... I understand. Not everyone is that interesting to listen to.

Sadako of Girth
Fair enough, but then he shouldn't be surprised when I (and I suspect, many others) dont re-buy what is already had then.

DTS and commentary are two big incentives in the "I want to re-sell you the same shit you already got" stakes.

queeq
Oh I agree... I had the same felling when I saw what they are trying to sell us with these 'new' DVD's.

And there's no DTS in Lucasfilm films... Lucas has THX... So he don't want no DTS.

Sadako of Girth
Ah.

Shame. Cause my "Alien" (and many others) which is already THX sounds twice as good in DTS in terms of size of sound, resolution of sound and the dynamic range and EQ.

Damn their oilly hides.

queeq
DTS rules.

coolmovies
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best then it goes down hill

queeq
Maybe with KotCS it goes up again.

Sadako of Girth
Heres hoping. smile

Although I suspect Raiders will always be my Fav, I still love the next two...downhill from such high places is still way above most others, imho.

coolmovies
Hay i thought Steven Spielberg made these movies ? so why does it say GL ?? Anyway i am buying raiders of the lost ark

queeq
GL came up with the stories, he produced it, they do it together. Speilberg just makes the difference between something like Raiders and say... AOTC... wink

Kazenji
Originally posted by coolmovies
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best then it goes down hill

Bah !

They're all good films and hopefully this new one is also

And as for these new dvds of the films stuff them i'm happy with what i have.

coolmovies
Speilberg should have made SW too

queeq
Hmm... I always wondered if that'd worked.

coolmovies
too late now

queeq
Yup.

Stun
this has nothing to do with the SE, but it's a nice resin case for your boxsetsmile i need reminding, when does the SE set actually come out?

queeq
I think they are out,.... but not sure.

Menetnashté
Why would you get a special edition box set now...? It's like the people who bought Rambo trilogy Special edition. It's pointless, why would you when a fourth movie is about to come out and then you'll have to buy another special edition box set.

Stun
i might just stick with the 2003 boxset for now. I dont think there is enough extra material to entice me big grin

queeq

Menetnashté
Originally posted by queeq
Why would you get Rambo at all? wink

But I do agree with you....
Yeah, I liked the 1st rambo and the last. The rest kind of sucked. erm

queeq
The last???? You actually watched it???

Menetnashté
The last???? You actually watched it???
And loved it. Blood, gore. The works, everything essential for a growing boy.

Stun
in a morbid way i did enjoy the last Rambo - personally i think Stallone just got away with this one.

queeq
Too bad... now he'll make another one.

Menetnashté
Too bad... now he'll make another one.
They ended it in a way that you know it's over for good, unless they have a red dawn scenario...

queeq
I'm sure Stallone has.

Devil King
Originally posted by Stun
great, i'm gonna have to sell my boxset now!stick out tongue

I wouldn't. Personally, I don't enjoy making-of features. I've seen a few making-of Star Wars programs, but I avoid most shows of the sort. When I watch a movie, I want to watch the movie, not think "that's a potato; they cut it in half and threw it across the room and then played it back in reverse and slow motion, that's how they did that." or some such thing.

I don't even like the audio commentary feature, though. For most of my movies, I've never even turned it on. (especially since my roomate's dvd player in the living room seems to think it always needs to be on. Once you turn it on, it pretty much decides for itself when it wants to turn the feature off) I listened to the commentary on X3, and it just made the movie even worse for me. I had hoped it might provide some story insight and improve on the film for me, but it was 2 hours of Brett Ratner verbally masturbating himself and making it obvious how craptastic a director he really is and it just sucked out the few moments of enjoyment I actually got out of that movie.

And I don't want any of that to happen with Indy. It's been, up to this point, the only franchise that's been pretty much perfect for me. I'm seriously thinking of not even seeing the next one, as Lucas, Speilburg AND Ford have all gone down hill considerably in the last decade.(I'm not just talking about getting older) And from what I see in the trailer, there's way too much cgi in it for my liking. At this point, I can't even watch any of the Star Wars PT. And I'm very slowly beginning to forget things about it. (until I suddenly remember) So, hopefully in a few years I'll be well on the way to rendering those disasters moot in my SW mindset.

queeq
Apparantly it's pacing is similar to the other three and CGI is reduced to a minimum. TLC had some CGI but that looked like crap. It's bound to be about as much and much better.

Stun
it's a nice little addition to have, but nothing on the 2003 boxset (no i wont be selling it afterall stick out tongue) the best bit by far was the 'melting face doc' which i enjoyed to the point where i wanted to remake the scene myselfstick out tongue and it also did show (very little) behind the scenes footage from Indy IV which i hadnt seen before. If they combined this with the orginal set, it would be a little bit more...complete, but hardly noticeable if you know what i mean. I'm just starting off my Indy collection, so buying the SE set means i'm one more step towards rivalling my SW collection laughing out loud

queeq
`is it worth it?

Stun
melting face doc aside (which you could prolly see on youtube)?

Naaa..i wouldnt say it was worth it

queeq
THen I better wait for the the 4-film boxset.

coolmovies
Just to let you know queeq stallon is working on a script for the 5th rambo movie .

Wait for the 5 disk set thats what i say in 2010. I seen the new rambo too great film go watch it queeq

queeq
I can't even bear to watch 4... or any other again, apart from the original.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.