How is discussion measured?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chillmeistergen
Within the GDF, threads are often moved, as they are deemed to not provide enough discussion for the forum and to be more fit for the OTF. However, how is this measured? For instance, birthday threads apparently offer enough discussion to warrant being left in the GDF, whereas a thread about the proper use of grammar on internet message boards, is moved to the OTF, while a debate is happening within it. This seems undeniably strange, as the former is a personal acknowledgement of a member, in which all people do by ways of discussion is talk about how they want to get the member drunk, or just offer an annual ''happy birthday''. While the latter is dealing with a phenomenon which can be discussed, debated and knowledge can be taken from.

Is there any set of guidelines, or is it just down to preference of what definition you use?

Raz
Topical thread => GDF
Everything else => OTF

There are exceptions to this, of course, which are mostly down to a legacy tradition (before the creation of the OTF). These include the occasional birthday thread and the queeqs social thread.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Raz
Topical thread => GDF
Everything else => OTF

There are exceptions to this, of course, which are mostly down to a legacy tradition (before the creation of the OTF). These include the occasional birthday thread and the queeqs social thread. Is there a list of people that are allowed to put Birthday threads in the GDF?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Raz
Topical thread => GDF
Everything else => OTF

There are exceptions to this, of course, which are mostly down to a legacy tradition (before the creation of the OTF). These include the occasional birthday thread and the queeqs social thread.

So, why have topical threads been moved? Also, should the rules really have to accommodate tradition, when there's a forum dedicated to that type of content?

Raz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Is there a list of people that are allowed to put Birthday threads in the GDF? Yes. People who joined before the creation of the OTF and were against the creation of the OTF at the time. Originally posted by chillmeistergen
So, why have topical threads been moved? Also, should the rules really have to accommodate tradition, when there's a forum dedicated to that type of content? Because a global moderator (who btw has had years of experience on these boards) decided it wasn't topical enough and would better suit the OTF.

And yes, the tradition is important to us.

chillmeistergen
But a birthday thread is topical enough?

Also, is it a coincidence that a global moderator was debating in the grammar thread, and was coincidentally on the losing side of the debate? I'm not saying that was the moderator that moved the thread, and I'm sure I'd never be allowed to find that out.

Raz
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
But a birthday thread is topical enough? Do I really have to repeat myself?

Like I just said a few posts above - it is a legacy tradition.

chillmeistergen
Why wasn't the grammar thread which was moved, merged with this one ----> http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=382052&pagenumber=1 .

It's the exact same topic, yet one was moved to a different forum, while the other remained in the GDF.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Raz
Yes. People who joined before the creation of the OTF and were against the creation of the OTF at the time.

That's joincist weep

chillmeistergen
Here's the link to thread that was moved: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473424&highlight=title%3A%28could+care+less%29

Observe the discussion between members, particularly in the last pages.

chillmeistergen
Well, why was it moved?

Raz
Originally posted by Raz
Because a global moderator (who btw has had years of experience on these boards) decided it wasn't topical enough and would better suit the OTF.

Ushgarak
Haha! You thought I was losing? Only in your head.

But I'm not your man, btw (interesting as it is to see how you would believe mods to be so petty)... and nor is it worth getting het up about. It really was not much of a thread.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Haha! You thought I was losing? Only in your head.

But I'm not your man, btw (interesting as it is to see how you would believe mods to be so petty)... and nor is it worth getting het up about. It really was not much of a thread.

Why wasn't it merged with the thread that had the exact same topic?

Plus, yes, yes you were. If you weren't, then post in it, I assure you that I will respond.

Ushgarak
You believe whatever you want to! Not my concern. Nor do I feel like rejoining an old argument. I feel all arguments on the boards have a very short shelf life anyway and do not stay in them long. And that one I rather feel I had made my point, and I feel my point remains made entirely regardless of what you feel about it.

The important point is this- your central allegation is one of mod bias. You imply that that thread was abusively moved to the OTF by a mod within losing an argument. Well, I can disabuse you of that notion because a. I don't think for one tiny second I was losing and b. I didn't move it- I didn't even know it was moved until you just linked to it.

You furthermore imply that the Birthday thread situation is one of mod bias as well. Now I can appreicate it looks like that but it very much is not the case- and you will note that most mod birthday threads are in the OTF. This was not a case of modliness at all- neither Fire nor Storm posted on the idea that their threads would be above the rules because Storm is a global. It was simply down to board tradition and how long those members have been there, pre-dating the OTF. Very different scenario, that.

chillmeistergen
Still a completely bias and silly scenario, every member should have to abide by the same rules. It shouldn't matter if you're a mod, or if you've been here since the site started. Completely ridiculous.

Plus, is there any proof of who moved it? You presumably keep records(?)

Outbound
Well, why was it moved?

Im bored as hell so I took a look....

Im guessing a glance on the first page is all it took for a mod to say its OTF material, lots of irrelevant answers to the question.

And since I cant be bothered bumping a 3 month old thread, Ill post my answer here..

This is the difference between the two phrases 'I could care less' and 'I couldnt care less':

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/498/blahbwy4.jpg

Right?

I dont think the thread was intended to question the language itself, since both phrases can be correct, but I think its more directly questioning the 'intelligence' (cant think of an appropriate word right now) of members who use it. It just comes down to people trying to assume what other posters are saying. Just like if someone with English background makes a typo, Ill assume its a typo. If someone with English background consistently spells words incorrectly, Ill assume they're stupid (cultural languages aside).

Storm
Still a completely bias and silly scenario, every member should have to abide by the same rules. It shouldn't matter if you're a mod, or if you've been here since the site started. Completely ridiculous.

Plus, is there any proof of who moved it? You presumably keep records(?)
When I create threads or take part in debates then I do so as a poster and not in my capacity as a moderator.

Since the OTF' s creation, members started making birthday threads in there because the posters frequenting the OTF simply didn' t venture outside the OTF any longer. The opportunity for GDF birthday threads remained for members who didn' t frequent the OTF and/or were active in the GDF. I can' t help you weren' t aware of this.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Storm
When I create threads or take part in debates then I do so as a poster and not in my capacity as a moderator.

Since the OTF' s creation, members started making birthday threads in there because the posters frequenting the OTF simply didn' t venture outside the OTF any longer. The opportunity for GDF birthday threads remained for members who didn' t frequent the OTF and/or were active in the GDF. I can' t help you weren' t aware of this.

So as I don't frequent the OTF, yet I haven't predated it, am I allowed to make brithday threads in there (GDF)? Or, are the rules as Raz explained - in favour of member's that were here prior to its creation?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Outbound
Im bored as hell so I took a look....

Im guessing a glance on the first page is all it took for a mod to say its OTF material, lots of irrelevant answers to the question.

There was an active debate going on within the thread, on the last pages - between a handful of members that frequent the GDF.

And since I cant be bothered bumping a 3 month old thread, Ill post my answer here..

This is the difference between the two phrases 'I could care less' and 'I couldnt care less':

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/498/blahbwy4.jpg

I know what the difference between the phrases is, we were debating whether it was the correct phrase to be used in the context of someone not caring.

I dont think the thread was intended to question the language itself, since both phrases can be correct, but I think its more directly questioning the 'intelligence' (cant think of an appropriate word right now) of members who use it. It just comes down to people trying to assume what other posters are saying. Just like if someone with English background makes a typo, Ill assume its a typo. If someone with English background consistently spells words incorrectly, Ill assume they're stupid (cultural languages aside).

I wouldn't be so quick to judge, given the fact that you've missed out almost every needed apostrophe in your post. Plus, they're not necessarily stupid, that in itself is a stupid assumption to make.

Ushgarak
Please don't rehash the thread in here, thanks.

chillmeistergen
So as I don't frequent the OTF, yet I haven't predated it, am I allowed to make brithday threads in there (GDF)? Or, are the rules as Raz explained - in favour of member's that were here prior to its creation?

A lot of my questions are still going unanswered in here.

Raz
Your questions were answered by me in my first post.

Please stop bumping this, just because you don't like my answer. And in future, if you have a problem with a moved thread, please contact the moderator concerned or me via PM.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.