Are older movies better ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
They dont make movies like they used to . I would rather buy a old movie and watch it again and again but with a new one i would only watch it once.

John Rambo and indiana jones are comming out i cant make up my mind which to buy ? Theres not wrong with John Rambo .

I like old movies more then new ones do you ?

WrathfulDwarf
Yes! Much better....why you think remakes keep happening?

Mairuzu
People ran out of ideas

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by coolmovies
They dont make movies like they used to . I would rather buy a old movie and watch it again and again but with a new one i would only watch it once.

John Rambo and indiana jones are comming out i cant make up my mind which to buy ? Theres not wrong with John Rambo .

I like old movies more then new ones do you ?

It's very rare for a new release to be multiple watch worthy. The last films I've seen where I could watch them more than once were Pan's Labyrnth, The Departed, and Transformers. But even those movies don't have the same gusto as say, The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, The Empire Strikes Back, or The Big LeBowski.

MildPossession
Every decade has its great films and crap films. Got to look.

exanda kane
No difference in my mind.

I'd like to say cinematic excess has been left behind and we will never have to sit through Cleopatra, Alexander the Great or Ben-Hur again (although Ben-Hur is arguably good) but then Michael Bay is still blowing crap up so it hasn't. Sequels? They aren't new; they have happened before and they will happen again once Hollywood has hit a formula that works. For every Transformers, Fantastic Four and Sweeney Todd, there's a There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and an Atonement so I really don't see any problem.

If you want more quality, interesting films, just don't go to the cinema in droves for a good 7 or 8 years. Round about then they'll be trying anything to get you in the cinema and we might get a counterpart to the Conversation, or the Sting. Worked before.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by MildPossession
Every decade has its great films and crap films. Got to look.

I'd agree more with this statement.

Each decade, or era, or whatever has its own amazing films (and terrible ones).

Some of my favorite films are from the past ten years (Gladiator, Garden State, Donnie Darko, American Beauty, Saving Private Ryan, The Fountain, The Prestige, The Departed, etc.)

And of course some of the shittiest movies made in my opinion have also been released within this past decade (Epic Movie, One Missed Call, anything by Tyler Perry, etc.)

In short, great movies are made all the time and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. I feel the same way about terrible movies, but you honestly just need to make the right viewing decisions.

MildPossession
Remakes have also been going on for decades in the 'old film world', nothing new. Just coming out more and more now.

coolmovies
I dont have many new films in my dvd collection thats why

ragesRemorse
of course when you look back on a decades worth of movies, you will find great movies...,it doesnt matter which decade. Thanks to the Internet and other multi media forums. Movies have become more popular than ever. More movies are being made, especially to fit specific demographics.
there are many things to consider when asking this question. Are we tied to a certain era because its when our love for movies first bloomed? Perhaps, this is why some of us stay so loyal to genre's. We are constantly searching for that nostalgic fix that will take us back to twelve years old, when movies felt more real than reality.
Maybe, our interest and critical eye has become to sophisticated for us to be properly entertained by certain movies. I remember, as a child and a young teen. I rarely found myself saying, "that could never happen, its unrealistic" during a movie. Although, i knew that what i was watching was complete fiction...,i accepted it.
Or, maybe we have grown up and out of certain types of movies and are not yet willing to admit it. There have been times that i have found myself, re-watching movies i LOVE and i find them to be pretty bad. I will never admit this though, because doing so, would be compromising my child hood. I do agree, there are many bad movies out there, but there were just as many if not more bad movies made twenty years ago. Some movies are to wrapped up in establishing style and special effects, that substance becomes an after thought.
With Digital film, CGI and groundbreaking camera's being created, seemingly every month. We are in the midst of a sort of revolution for movie's. Directors are constantly trying to find the perfect way to blend CGI seamlessly with stories and characters. So, if your gripe with modern movies is to much CGI, this will get better...,with time. However, you really should just accept it. It is a fair compromise, considering that we are getting movies that we always wanted, but were impossible to create...,even if some are garbage.
One of my biggest problems with the industry is that the studio's often stifle creativity, but...,the independent market is becoming bigger than ever. There is much creativity to be found in some of these movies.
I really dont think movies have become worse than previous generations of film. Infact, i believe, in many ways, movies have become more sophisticated and technically refined...,sometimes to much for their own good. Great movies have always been few and far between and thats the way it should be, at least for me.

regina414
I also prefer classic films, especially those in black in and white.

Toku King
They are. Most of my favorite films are from the 70s and 80s.

BruceSkywalker
To me, it doesn't matter whether its an old or new movie. I love all types of movies. Fave old movie is War of the Worlds and Them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.