Why does speed matter?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IdiotGod
Why do people bring up "speedblitz" for characters like Wonder Woman?
Speed means nothing. Thanos proves this as he has no speed or even flight but he could assrape the "speedlibtz" characters like Superman.

Doogle
Speed means nothing?

Tell that to Flash.

TheGame17
Originally posted by IdiotGod
Speed means nothing. Thanos proves this as he has no speed or even flight but he could assrape the "speedlibtz" characters like Superman.

Speed increases the effectiveness of punches though. makes them more powerful..

nimbus006

Speed is everything.

Thanos defeats speedsters such as Silver Surfer because he does have super speed, and it is assumed that his reflexes/reaction times are even faster which enables him to counter opponents attacks.

Yes, I'll admit sometimes speed is disregarded in comics mostly because of some stupid plot device, but for the most part it is very effective, and characters such as the Flash, Zoom, Surfer, and Superman show us why.

starlock

Its just my opinon....the challenge of making comic books interesting and to make the characters seem capable of defeat....leads to plot induced stupidity...P.I.S.....so comic books will always play a middle ground when it comes to speedblitz's........just like the rules of this site which state that flash would end his comic book in less than 1 page at his full potential(somewhat summed up lol)....it would not be a fun read

So we have here on KMC a rule characters will fight at their best....within the characters personality...if they can speedbitz most likely they will here?

What makes it so" he/she wins by speedblitz" when taken into account the narrative for flash and speedblitzers speed and thought process...it can be hard not to see a character winning from the moment the match starts....now to me in some cases it wont matter if the person is to durable or invulnerable..(thanos/Juggernaught etc)...then again flash has an i.m.p punch that seems to be a powerfull strike on par or greater than a superman punch..so thats my jist of things

Now thanos..well who has speedblitzed him....and i dont mean one burst of speed which leads into an attack...i mean multiple attacks pshysicaly and or mentally/energy blast.... in one panel etc

I hope i helped you a little at least confused

Kid Kurdy
Erm no he couldn't. If Superman uses his superior speed advantage like he should use it while fighting a tank like Thanos, Thanos would not be able to even touch Superman.

But Thanos has a jobber aura.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by starlock
Now thanos..well who has speedblitzed him
Runner has speedblitzed Thanos and Thanos was completely helpless against Runner.

(And before some Thanos fanboy complains that Runner had the time gem which made him even faster, yeah, like Runner really needs gems in order to speedblitz somebody.)

IdiotGod
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Erm no he couldn't. If Superman uses his superior speed advantage like he should use it while fighting a tank like Thanos, Thanos would not be able to even touch Superman.

But Thanos has a jobber aura.

Or maybe he's just way stronger than them?

Doogle
Or maybe he's just way stronger than them? Its not like strength >>>> speed.

It depend son the level of speed and strength.

Like strength >>>> speed when its on Quicksilver level.

But when its on Flash and Hulk level its speed >>>>> strength.

Mindship
Sufficient speed matters for the same reason sufficient strength matters (or it should): If a character is strong enough or fast enough, his/her opponents simply won't be effective against them. If comics don't show this consistently, it's because the Prime Directive of comics is: Tell an entertaining story.

Kid Kurdy
Or maybe Thanos is just way stronger than them?
If you mean "more powerful" I'll agree (more or less).

But stronger like in lifting things or throwing heavy stuff ? I still wait for some evidence.

Combat_Guru

The faster an object moves, the more damage it does. If a speck of dust hit some one at light speed it would do the same damage as a 50 caliber sniper round, probably cut him in half.

So imagine what an object the size of a fist moving many times faster than light could do.

Kid Kurdy
Now that I think of it, why are we debating this ?

starlock
Originally posted by Combat_Guru
The faster an object moves, the more damage it does. If a speck of dust hit some one at light speed it would do the same damage as a 50 caliber sniper round, probably cut him in half.

So imagine what an object the size of a fist moving many times faster than light could do.

Flash has the speedforce to protect him....can you see where others would explode doing this...whats your take?

And if someone is invulnerable...like luke cage from bullets...would it matter how fast the bullet is traveling?would the bullet just disintergrate at those speeds? just some thoughts

starlock
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Now that I think of it, why are we debating this ?

Well the most experienced of us..sometimes like to explain things to new posters or just generally curious posters who are questioning the versus battles rules and methods.....i find it interesting myself smile

nimbus006
Originally posted by starlock
Flash has the speedforce to protect him....can you see where others would explode doing this...whats your take?

And if someone is invulnerable...like luke cage from bullets...would it matter how fast the bullet is traveling?would the bullet just disintergrate at those speeds? just some thoughts

Luke Cage is invulnerable to a certain degree, if he gets hit by an apporaching light speed punch from Superman, he's going down.

Mindship
The faster an object moves, the more damage it does. If a speck of dust hit some one at light speed it would do the same damage as a 50 caliber sniper round, probably cut him in half. An interesting bit of info I picked up a long time ago: the kinetic energy of an elementary particle moving at 86% lightspeed = the energy of that particle's mass, a la E=mc2.

ultimatethor
Speed is indeed very important

Sundipped

Are u kidding??? Thanos has trouble with the speedblitz. Runner made him shit in his costume with gems in his possession. Thank God for that time gem.

IdiotGod
Yeah but Runner has more than just speed going for him.
Runner WTFpwned Surfer in a very Thanos-esque way.
It's not like he's just some random top tier going really really fast as in the examples I mentioned.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Combat_Guru

So imagine what an object the size of a fist moving many times faster than light could do. no speed is not everything, the speed force seems to be everything.

you forgot a universal law there, that same dust speck would get the same destructive force applied to it as the object it struck, plus if the object has more mass/density it changes the outcome.
in marvel, speedsters don't go past mach 5 or so due to sonic booms and if traveling faster environmental damage.

the speed force somehow negates this effect(somehow?)letting fast characters go all out.

the feat that humbled thanos was done in space where any one could go all out, plus notice the damage it did to thanos's chair just by going near it.
and the only reason the runner survives running into things is due to his primordial/cosmic glaze comparable to the silver surfer's.

so yeah, the bloody speed force is the thing that is the issue.

spetznaz
Let me try to digest this a bit for you .....speed can be VERY key in anything (in a comic book fight, in an olympic event, in sealing a major trans-continental business deal) for much the same reason ...it enables you to make a move while your opponent/antagonist/competitor is slack and unresponsive!

On the side of fights, imagine a case whereby I am fighting you. Also imagine that I am ten times faster than you are. What does that mean? It means that whatever your skill level, I can act, react and counter-react ten times faster than you can. What does that mean? It means that if I move you will not be able to do anything about it, and if you move I will be able to see what you are doing (you will be moving at a tenth of my given speed) and take mitigatory measures against it.

Now, imagine if I can move a hundred times faster .....it just went from a beating into a whole other realm.

Now, imagine if I can move one thousand times faster .....now you are starting to catch my drift.

Now ...to make it interesting ....let's look at two scenarios:

1) Imagine that I can move several million times faster (say I am the Flash), and not only that but I can also leach speed from you making you slower (not only am I much faster by a magnitude of magnitudes, I just froze you in time). You are ABSOLUTELY no threat to me. On top of that, via the speed force i can hit you at that speed with no damage to myself .....it is stated he can hit with the mass of a white dwarf star. I just dumped the kinetic mass of a compressed star onto your face, at a speed that is so quick that i am totally invisible to you, and there is nothing you can do about it! That is not getting pwned ....that is getting hopelessly obliterated!

2) The second scenario is similar ....imagine that I am around a million times faster (not as fast as the first scenario, but at that level of speed it makes no difference to you since you wouldn't be able to perceive any difference). However imagine (ala Superman) I have the strength of a titan (planet-shifting levels of strength), I have the ability to fly (thus attack you from a 3-D angle of inference), and I have the powers of an entire X-men team that has been amped on steroids (ranging from fire from my eyes to ice from my breath). And i am doing this so fast that i am attacking you from everywhere at the same time ......although that is unnecessary since i only need to tag you once, and my already PRODIGIOUS STRENGTH will be amplified by my exceptional speed! And to make it worse, you are not even able to SEE me (Superman has vibrated so fast that not only is he invisible, but he is also intangible).

Either scenario is a total and utter defeat for you, especially if all you have is strength and nothing else.

You cannot see me.

You cannot touch me.

You cannot hit me.

You cannot win.

It is a total and utter mismatch unless PIS is involved.

It would be tough ENOUGH facing a character with the speed level of QuickSilver (Exodus had major problems with him), but bring in people like Superman and the Flash and their speed levels (magnitudes greater than Quicksilver's .....QuickSilver might as well be standing still next to the Flash) basically make them impossible to defeat by one-dimensional bricks (need I say the Hulk). It is not impossible to beat the Flash or Superman (particularly Superman, because a full-power Flash with full access to the SpeedForce is an omni-dimensional god), and there are a good number of characters that can defeat Supes and Flash ....BUT NONE OF THOSE CHARACTERS ARE ONE-DIMENSIONAL BRICKS!

You need a certain set of powers to defeat such characters (e.g. superior speed, cosmic awareness, long-tenor prescience, high level reality manipulation that is coupled with long-tenor precognition, etc) ....but if you are a one-dimensional one-trick pony (e.g. 'I have great strength, watch me roar.....') you have already lost the fight before it starts.

Because (barring PIS/CIS) you will not even be able to SEE your opponent, let alone HIT them.

While to your opponent you will seem like a statue, frozen in time, as helpless as a deer frozen in the headlights of a ten ton adamantium truck travelling at 99.9% the velocity of light .......

Galan007
Speed doesn't matter!

Beings like Flash, Zoom, Runner, etc. would still be just as badass if they had 'average' human speed. none

Soljer

Speed means nothing.

laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

Speed Kills.

Evangel94
Speed only matters if you have the strength, durability, and power match it.

Soljer
Originally posted by Evangel94
Speed only matters if you have the strength, durability, and power match it.

Good point.

Cause Wally West is a hundred tonner that's as durable as Kal-El and....

Oh...wait.

IdiotGod
EDIT

Doogle
Originally posted by Evangel94
Speed only matters if you have the strength, durability, and power match it. Wrong.

Badabing
Speed means nothing. Thanos proves this as he has no speed or even flight but he could assrape the "speedlibtz" characters like Superman. Use this thread for questions please. Thanks.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t346614.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.