Top 5. Footballers( soccer ) in past 15 years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ultimatethor
Who are the top 5 footballers in the last 15 years.

My list

1. Zidane
2. ronaldo da lima
3. ronaldinho ( when he was good
4. Rivaldo
5. T. Henry

Victor Von Doom
Not in order-

Zidane, Maldini, Ronaldo, Henry, Schmeichel.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
VVD, you furry place!

In order: Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Maldini, Henry.

Watching Zidane play was like watching a ballet.

(I don't watch ballet, but that sounds nice.)

Raoul
top 5 footballers in general?

roy keane. schmeichel. zidane. rivaldo. maldini.

T.M
Schmeichel, Zidane, Rivaldo, Henry, Ronaldo

Alpha Centauri
Pretty much the same as anyone here.

Bergkamp, Zidane, Henry, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.

-AC

Deathblow
In an attempt to name a viable 5 without any players previously mentioned;

Davids, Figo, Savicevic, Zola, Nedved

Alpha Centauri
Doesn't work, really.

-AC

Deathblow
I'd like to see a better attempt.

Alpha Centauri
Well, any five of these:

Messi, Makelele, Viera, Overmars, Romario, Van Persie, Robben, Toure, Drogba, Adriano, Kaka, Cech, Fabregas, Toulalan, Juninho, Kahn, Ballack, etc.

-AC

jaden101
good to see Romario getting a mention...he's too often forgotten when speaking about great players

no love for Batistuta?, George Weah?, Baggio?, Stoichkov?

Alpha Centauri
I was going to name Stoichkov when I was thinking of Romario, going back to their partnership at Barca, but I forgot his name.

Batistuta also, Ortega, Salas.

-AC

jaden101
yeah the Salas and Zamorano partnership was always good to watch

Deathblow
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Well, any five of these:

Messi, Makelele, Viera, Overmars, Romario, Van Persie, Robben, Toure, Drogba, Adriano, Kaka, Cech, Fabregas, Toulalan, Juninho, Kahn, Ballack, etc.

-AC

I'd say with a lot of confidence that apart from maybe Makelele, Romario and Kaka, none of those are equals to my five. Fabregas, Messi and Van Persie haven't been around long enough to be considered great. Although I have absolutely no doubt that Fabregas will (along with C. Ron) be shoe ins in the near future. Overmars and Viera are close but no cigar. Juninho, Drogba, Toure, Adriano (have you seen him play recently??) are just plain not good enough. Ballack is obviously worshipped in Germany for a reason, but personally I wouldn't place him in a top 5. A top 15, maybe.

I was going to say Ortega, but he was just such a jerk of a player. Faded away, too.

Also, Roberto Baggio? Cafu? Costacurta? And even though his time in England pretty much tarnished his reputation, Veron. He was always mentioned amongst the world's best before Man United, and it's not as if he let that kill him off; he's playing very well again now, back in the Argentina squad etc.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Deathblow
Fabregas, Messi and Van Persie haven't been around long enough to be considered great. Although I have absolutely no doubt that Fabregas will (along with C. Ron) be shoe ins in the near future. Overmars and Viera are close but no cigar. Juninho, Drogba, Toure, Adriano (have you seen him play recently??) are just plain not good enough. Ballack is obviously worshipped in Germany for a reason, but personally I wouldn't place him in a top 5. A top 15, maybe.

I was going to say Ortega, but he was just such a jerk of a player. Faded away, too.

Also, Roberto Baggio? Cafu? Costacurta? And even though his time in England pretty much tarnished his reputation, Veron. He was always mentioned amongst the world's best before Man United, and it's not as if he let that kill him off; he's playing very well again now, back in the Argentina squad etc.

I can't really take the first remark seriously, and subsequently, any of that post.

Davids and Zola are in your list, but Messi, Kahn, Fabregas etc aren't worthy and Ortega is a faded player? Nonsense.

-AC

Slay
In no order:
Roberto Baggio
Marc Overmars (Used too worship him as a child)
Zinedine Zidane
Gabriel Batistuta
Rivaldo

Df02
In order;

Zidane, Batistuta, Bergkamp, Romario, Maldini

Deathblow
I can't really take the first remark seriously, and subsequently, any of that post.

Davids and Zola are in your list, but Messi, Kahn, Fabregas etc aren't worthy and Ortega is a faded player? Nonsense.

-AC

It's not though, that's the thing.

Davids at his peak was incredible, he was the heart of that Juventus side even when Zidane was there. Fabregas may mature into a superior player in time. But not he isn't yet. Zola was arguably as good as Bergkamp. Just ask Diego Maradona, aka the guy Zola used to beat in free kick contests on the Napoli training ground. I know you won't have this, you being the lovably unflappable scamp that you are, but you are biased as an Arsenal fan. You are. No other way you could justify claiming Van Persie (who I'm a huge fan of nevertheless) is one of the greatest players of the last decade and a half. He's only been in Arsenal's first team for a few seasons, much of that he's spent out injured, and at the beginning of which he wasn't even all that. You're basing a few of your choices on raw potential.

You know what is actually nonsense though? Robben, Toure and Adriano being better than Figo.

Alpha Centauri
It's not though, that's the thing.

Davids at his peak was incredible, he was the heart of that Juventus side even when Zidane was there. Fabregas may mature into a superior player in time. But not he isn't yet. Zola was arguably as good as Bergkamp. Just ask Diego Maradona, aka the guy Zola used to beat in free kick contests on the Napoli training ground. I know you won't have this, you being the lovably unflappable scamp that you are, but you are biased as an Arsenal fan. You are. No other way you could justify claiming Van Persie (who I'm a huge fan of nevertheless) is one of the greatest players of the last decade and a half. He's only been in Arsenal's first team for a few seasons, much of that he's spent out injured, and at the beginning of which he wasn't even all that. You're basing a few of your choices on raw potential.

You know what is actually nonsense though? Robben, Toure and Adriano being better than Figo.

Then remove Van Persie, big deal, it's one player. Bergkamp is undoubtedly eligible, even if you remove Arsenal from history. He did things with Inter and Holland that are amazing.

Fabregas is definitely eligible, but if it makes you that agitated, take every Arsenal player out. There, now there's no more alleged bias, right? Messi is better now than Davids has ever been, ask Maradona that. So what if Zola beat him in free kicks? Juninho would beat them both, and he isn't eligible to you. Messi isn't just "potential", he has proven himself many times over.

I don't think they are necessarily better than Figo in his prime, but Nedved, Davids, Savicevic? Yes.

-AC

Deathblow
Are you talking about Lyon's Juninho?? Wow, he's definitely not, IMO.

Well this is where we start getting caught up in positional effectiveness, see. You can't compare Messi to Davids. That's like comparing Roy Keane to Van Basten. Davids, as a box to box midfielder, was the best of this generation. Messi, as a winger or supporting striker, I wouldn't call him the best. It takes years of consistency, in my opinion, to be considered the best of a generation. I'm not debating his talent, Messi just simply hasn't been around long enough. Maybe Nedved and Savicevic (although the latter is horrifically underrated anyway) didn't have the raw ability of Messi, but they were amazing players across lengthy careers that would have seen many promising youngsters spring up and then die off.

You obviously just don't rate Zola, and that's pretty amazing to me. Of course Maradona would say Messi's better than anyone, his ego would be shattered if the ''new Maradona'' wasn't the world's greatest. But Zola was just a foreign clubmate, who used to match and surpass him on the training ground. Surely that's enough raw talent (and ''proof'' in the form of the years of service and multiple trophies he delivered to a pretty average Chelsea side) to be eligible. He was fantastic. As an individual he accomplished as much for Chelsea as Bergkamp did for Arsenal. I'd say Bergkamp just shades it as the better player, but its far from a comfortable victory, and to say Bergkamp deserves an instant place in a top five and not Zola is unfair.

And I wasn't talking about Bergkamp. I meant Toure, Van Persie and Fabregas. I don't think anyone but an Arsenal fan would name any of those three, that's all.

Alpha Centauri
Why does time matter? Messi has surpassed many footballers in the past 15 years already, we're not debating longevity are we? I've not seen many people better than him in general, much less at his age, this fast, with this much potential to grow. If it was Pato, fair enough, he still has a bit to go to prove he can keep it up. Messi's hype period has passed and he's still living up to it, surpassing it even, in a team of floundering greatness.

As for Toure, like you said, defensive effectiveness. He came from playing for NO club, essentially, to being one of the world's best defenders. How you don't rate him is ridiculous. I could say the same for you, though. You support Spurs, I find it ridiculous to deny Fabregas. Van Persie I'll give you.

-AC

Df02
I would place a player who was consistently brilliant for 15years higher in the list than a player who was better for 1 or 2. Messi, Fabregas and Van Persie (especially the latter, dont really see why you chose Van Persie) wouldn't go on my lists, although in a few years if Messi is still playing as well as he is now... he'd be top.

I thought Deathblow supported Wolves?

Deathblow
Exactly my point.

And I do rate Toure, very much. But not that highly.

Wolves? Haha, what gave you that idea? I follow Spurs, I wouldn't say I'd qualify as a fan, though.

anaconda
good to see Bergkamp listed, outstanding striker. I will also add Man Uniteds Ronaldo I think he is brilliant. Mesi indeed, Zidane, Buffon

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Thinking about it, I'd like to drop Henry from my list and put in Il Divin Codino. Dat boi waz de mad note, yo.

anaconda
oooooooh Roberto, well yeah maybe

Df02
Exactly my point.

And I do rate Toure, very much. But not that highly.

Wolves? Haha, what gave you that idea? I follow Spurs, I wouldn't say I'd qualify as a fan, though.

Mixed you up with Deano.

I'm extremely sorry.

Deathblow
You're forgiven. Hug?

Deano
speaking of wolves. did anyone see ebanks blake's goal? world class. if ronaldo did it, everyone would be having an orgasm

Alpha Centauri
Everyone has orgasms over Ronaldo when he scores as a result of goalmouth scrambles.

It's the reverse of what people like Henry, Messi, Ronaldinho and Kaka' have earned. Praise and hype for continually doing amazing things in their primes.

Ronaldo does a couple of good things and now everyone sees it all as amazing. Like Owen, Gerrard and Rooney. Except this is worse, cos every c*nt hated Ronaldo after Rooney got sent off.

Hate this country.

-AC

Df02
I stopped watchin the Man U game after that 'wonder goal'

Victor Von Doom
He was fantastic. As an individual he accomplished as much for Chelsea as Bergkamp did for Arsenal.

Hang on. It was sensible until you said that.

Originally posted by Deano
speaking of wolves. did anyone see ebanks blake's goal? world class. if ronaldo did it, everyone would be having an orgasm

Indeed. Speaking of 'if Ronaldo did it', if this was the back catalogue of Ronaldo, I think the hype would throw the Earth out of orbit.

JCepc7H8s1E

In fact if you look at Ronaldo's season, it's been a prolific season, with very few great overall performances. Mostly regular striker goals. Yet if you read any of the hype, he's Maradona mixed with Best.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You gays are funny. What other striker - let alone 'winger/forward' - has had a 35 goals in 35 games ratio in a top league in recent times?

As for the boy Robin...van Persie is older than Ronaldo, more inconsistent than Ronaldo, gets injured more than Ronaldo, and has never scored more than 11 league goals in a season! How is he even relevant?

Alpha Centauri
Because he is a much, much better player?

That's like saying Messi isn't as good because he's about as injury prone as Darren Anderton.

Ronaldo couldn't do what Van Persie does in those videos, save for score a free kick now and then.

Van Persie isn't about running in from the same wing, or the midfield, and doing a few stepovers. He's also a team player, unlike Ronaldo, who has expressly said his main aim is to be regarded as the best player in the world. I believe a majority of Man Utd's points have come from Ronaldo and the fact that he has had a prolific season, which he has. I'm not saying he hasn't played some good football, I'm saying he isn't anywhere near that quality of player, at all.

He's a great goalscorer, he's not a great player. People are getting too carried away because he's the flavour of the year.

-AC

Bicnarok

Alpha Centauri
Ian Wright? Giggs? Talk about hindsight.

Ian Wright, like Cantona, was standout because they were players better than surrounding players. Except Wright, who arguably had better players around him anyway. Wright was just a good goalscorer, like C-Ron. Except he had much more skill.

-AC

Deano
ronaldo is a great player and would take him over van persie. Both class though. When ronaldo turns it on against the big teams and gets some european trophys, then we can talk. He is on the right road though

anyway top players the last 15 years.

Schmeichal, maldini, Keane, zidane, henry

future legends: ronaldo, messi, kaka, fabregas, Torres

Alpha Centauri
What is all this based off?

He's had A good season. He was never remarkable for his country, or Man Utd, truly, before this. This is what could be called his first "outstanding" season.

-AC

Deano
last season was excellent too dont forget. he is young and i can see many outstanding seasons to come.

Alpha Centauri
People did admittedly say the same for Owen.

I think the English just sperm themselves over fast, young players.

-AC

Deano
i dont jump on the bandwagon. you cant deny that ronaldo is the best in the prem at the moment. best in the world? open

Alpha Centauri
I can deny whatever I want.

He's most certainly not the best player in the Premier League, there are actually many better PLAYERS, and no, not all of them play for Arsenal. Goalscorers? Perhaps not, but players. There are many players who've scored less than him per season, but that wouldn't make them lesser players.

-AC

Deano
better players maybe. better than him at the moment? no. there are no better wingers or strikers at the moment who have hit the form ronaldo has.

Alpha Centauri
That wasn't what you said, you said there are no better players in the Prem, there are, many.

As for form, goalscoring, he's obviously the best. I don't think he is playing the most enjoyable football. I see nothing but running and stepovers. I can probably tell you what Ronaldo is about to do in the game right now. Though enjoyment is subjective.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
What other striker - let alone 'winger/forward' - has had a 35 goals in 35 games ratio in a top league in recent times?

As for the boy Robin...van Persie is older than Ronaldo, more inconsistent than Ronaldo, gets injured more than Ronaldo, and has never scored more than 11 league goals in a season! How is he even relevant?

Ronaldo's hype isn't based around goals, though. That's why he is good, but the hype suggests he's the most amazing footballer ever, which he isn't.

If RVN got this many goals, which he has, he wouldn't (didn't) get the same hype. That's because Ronaldo is a 'winger', and strikers are supposed to score goals. If he was a 'centre back' who happened to lurk in the box for most of the game, it wouldn't make him the new Beckenbauer.

Deathblow
I don't get it. Before Ronaldo started scoring ridiculous amounts of goals and taking just about every game he plays in by the scruff of the neck as he has the past couple of seasons, the reason people weren't rating him was because he didn't provide enough ''end product''. Now he's the top scorer (and undoubtedly the best current player) in the Premiership, top scorer in the Champions League (35 yard run and bullet header against Roma tonight, anyone?) and top scorer in any league in Europe this season, and people still claim he's overrated? What more does the boy have to do? I sense bitterness...or maybe some peoples' idea of an ''end product'' is more than (at least) over 35 goals in all competitions, and lord knows how many assisists and game-changing moments of inspiration. Kid's best player in the world at the moment, like it or not. He can do stuff during those goal mouth scrambles, such as the backheel against Villa, or things when his team isn't playing as well it should, the header against Roma a couple of hours ago, because he's that ****ing good, and confident. AC, you're a logical guy, and if by your logic Messi has proved his hype time and again, then surely Ronaldo has too, and then some. AND that's without taking into consideration the exceptional performances all the way through Euro 2004 and most of the World Cup in 2006 most people seem to forget because of controversies or whatever. **** all that.

Without comparing him to any other player, a list of things Ronaldo can do at a world class level, and has proven time and again:

- Dribble
- Sprint
- Shrug off strong challenges
- Pass (long and short)
- Shoot from long range
- Finish from close range
- Win the ball in the air
- Score from in the air
- Penalties
- Free kicks
- Off the ball movement/runs

None of those attributes are debatable. As of right now, he's a complete player, and is proving it at the highest level. What.

Alpha Centauri
I don't get it. Before Ronaldo started scoring ridiculous amounts of goals and taking just about every game he plays in by the scruff of the neck as he has the past couple of seasons, the reason people weren't rating him was because he didn't provide enough ''end product''. Now he's the top scorer (and undoubtedly the best current player) in the Premiership

Factually prove he is the best current complete player in the league.

Taking every game by the scruff of the neck? Oh come on, he's probably straight, so he'll need some of that penis later in life. Try not to erode it with your saliva.

top scorer in the Champions League (35 yard run and bullet header against Roma tonight, anyone?)

I've already said the finish was brilliant, but let's say 90 minutes and nothing else besides that. Cos that's what happened.

Every time he tried a stepover and a "run", he got jacked.

and top scorer in any league in Europe this season, and people still claim he's overrated? What more does the boy have to do? I sense bitterness...or maybe some peoples' idea of an ''end product'' is more than (at least) over 35 goals in all competitions, and lord knows how many assisists and game-changing moments of inspiration. Kid's best player in the world at the moment, like it or not.

That is precisely why he is overrated. This "Like it or not.", "Can't talk, got the flavour of the month in my mouth." bs.

He's the best goalscorer in Europe at the moment, that doesn't make him the best player in the world. He's not a better player than Messi, Kaka', Fabregas or say Eto'o overall. He's not a better "player" than Van Persie, Mancini, Ronaldinho, Pato or Torres at taking on men and beating them, or making something out of absolutely nothing on his own. He just has a better ability to score goals right now, like Owen did than most people back in the day.

He cannot do what those players do.

Unless you can factually prove he is the best natural football player in the world right now, stop claiming he is.

He can do stuff during those goal mouth scrambles, such as the backheel against Villa, or things when his team isn't playing as well it should, the header against Roma a couple of hours ago, because he's that ****ing good, and confident. AC, you're a logical guy, and if by your logic Messi has proved his hype time and again, then surely Ronaldo has too, and then some. AND that's without taking into consideration the exceptional performances all the way through Euro 2004 and most of the World Cup in 2006 most people seem to forget because of controversies or whatever. **** all that.

He was pretty anonymous during both campaigns. That was back when literally all he knew was to run fast and then try the stepover. He's much better now, but he's not the best player in the world. Even tonight Roma had him figured out. Every single time he made a run and got slightly barged he started crying, because he was marked tight and kept out of the game.

It's his ability to pounce on a moment's lapse that makes him good, which is when he scored a great, opportunistic goal. He is very good for certain reasons, but that does not make him good for every other reason.

Without comparing him to any other player, a list of things Ronaldo can do at a world class level, and has proven time and again:

- Dribble

A quality required to be a footballer, Deathblow.

- Sprint

As above.

- Shrug off strong challenges

Like tonight when he got barged off almost every run? Like I said, against any on point defense, he's going nowhere. Roma did it, Arsenal did it, A.C. Milan did it.

- Pass (long and short)

- Shoot from long range

- Finish from close range

- Win the ball in the air

- Score from in the air

- Penalties

- Free kicks

- Off the ball movement/runs

If you're giving him credit because he can do this, might as well give him credit for f*cking walking about.

Pass, shoot, score and take penalties? Shrug off challenges?

All this you praise Ronaldo for, and yet he's somehow better than Van Persie, Kaka', Messi, Ballack, Torres, Fabregas, Berbatov?

He isn't better at penalties than Van Persie or Ballack. He's not better at free kicks than Juninho. He's not better at shrugging off challenges than the likes of Drogba, Kaka', Hleb or even Berbatov. He's not better at shooting from long range than a lot of people, there are much better poachers (Defoe), Adebayor is much better at winning air balls.

He's good at what you said, but so are many players. He's the best pure goalscorer in the world right now, but just because he can competently do other stuff, does not make him better than everyone else who can do that other stuff better than him. It takes a second to add to your goalscoring tally, but you can't teach what the likes of Messi have. He doesn't have it.

Will we ever see him do against ANY team what Messi did against Getafe? What Ronaldinho has done? What Van Persie did against Blackburn? What Kaka' did to...Man Utd? No. He simply does not have the ability.

None of those attributes are debatable. As of right now, he's a complete player, and is proving it at the highest level. What.

What? Try again without the knee-jerk reaction, that's what.

-AC

Deathblow
Factually prove he is the best current complete player in the league.
Unless you can factually prove he is the best natural football player in the world right now, stop claiming he is.

Well. Prove that he isn't, basically.

He wins games. Lots of them. All of my points stand. Run a survey amongst the continent's defenders if you want the facts.

Taking every game by the scruff of the neck? Oh come on, he's probably straight, so he'll need some of that penis later in life. Try not to erode it with your saliva.

Excellent phrasing. But a ''gay joke'' nonetheless. Thus:

Because, to be honest, I'm just getting wound up by you now. Not because you disagree with me (which I know is what you will immediately think), in fact I appreciate the challenges you always throw up against common ideas and whatnot. I've always found you interesting. I'm just sick of you talking to people as if they're stupid. And I don't really want to log on to an internet forum, something separate from my real life, and read stuff that makes me angry.

So go for it, get scathing, pedantic and needlessley aggressive on my b*tch ass! I've done something I've never done before, and put you on my ignore list, so feel free.

Alpha Centauri
Well. Prove that he isn't, basically.

The burden of proof is on you. I'm not the one making a claim first, I'm just asking you to prove yours.

He wins games. Lots of them. All of my points stand. Run a survey amongst the continent's defenders if you want the facts.

Surveys are nothing but opinion, and he doesn't win games, Man Utd win games. Run that survey past Vidic and Ferdinand, two people who have saved Man Utd a lot more than Ronaldo.

Excellent phrasing. But a ''gay joke'' nonetheless. Thus:

Because, to be honest, I'm just getting wound up by you now.

Nice technique. Make a bullshit post as if you're Rambo, then when countered by very true and viable points, disregard the entire thing because of a one line remark that got you pissed off. Mature in the highest.

Not because you disagree with me (which I know is what you will immediately think), in fact I appreciate the challenges you always throw up against common ideas and whatnot. I've always found you interesting. I'm just sick of you talking to people as if they're stupid. And I don't really want to log on to an internet forum, something separate from my real life, and read stuff that makes me angry.

I'm tired of talking to people who feel they know what they're on about, when all they're doing is following the flavour of the month and exaggerating the already great goalscoring talents of a man, into somehow him being the world's best overall football player, undoubtedly.

So go for it, get scathing, pedantic and needlessley aggressive on my b*tch ass! I've done something I've never done before, and put you on my ignore list, so feel free.

I don't have much more room on my palm to be honest.

Perhaps do well to learn about football not dictated by the media first. Oh, and you did say you supported Spurs. Conveniently you've dropped them now that they're 11th, not 5th. It just goes to show that you clearly love whoever is in favour.

-AC

Blax_Hydralisk
TOM 'EFFING BRADY WO0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O!!!!!!

Deano
ronaldo is not overated lol. he can take players on better than van persie and pato aswell. pato shouldnt be named in the same breath as ronaldo. not yet anyway

no one is following the flavour of the month ac. ronaldo is the best player in the world at the moment. i think you would just rather be different.

i still think kaka is the best in the world overall. but at the moment it is ronaldo by far.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United
Games started 22, Goals 21 (leads league), Assists 2, Points 23 (1.08 points per 90 minutes)

2. Emmanuel Adebayor, Arsenal
Games started 23, Goals 19, Assists 3, Points 22 (.94 points per 90 minutes)

3. Wayne Rooney, Manchester United
Games started 17, Goals 8, Assists 7, Points 15 (.93 points per 90 minutes)

4. Salomon Kalou, Chelsea
Games started 14, Goals 5, Assists 8, Points 13 (.91 points per 90 minutes)

5. Fernando Torres, Liverpool
Games started 20, Goals 15, Assists 2, Points 17 (.86 points per 90 minutes)

6. Cesc Fabregas, Arsenal
Games started 22, Goals 7, Assists 12 (leads league), Points 19 (.84 points per 90 minutes)

7. Robbie Keane, Tottenham Hotspur
Games started 20, Goals 12, Assists 5, Points 17 (.84 points per 90 minutes)

8. Dimitar Berbatov, Tottenham Hotspur
Games started 21, Goals 10, Assists 8, Points 18 (.81 points per 90 minutes)

9. Carlos Teves, Manchester United
Games started 24, Goals 11, Assists 6, Points 17 (.74 points per 90 minutes)

10. Ashley Young, Aston Villa
Games started 26, Goals 4, Assists 12, Points 16 (.63 points per 90 minutes)

This list indicates that the current situation of the EPL is that a few big clubs own the most productive players. It does not claim to say that a player on this list is automatically better than another player. Someone like Steven Gerrard is the second most productive central midfielder n the EPL, behind only Fabregas, but he unsurprisingly falls behind in his direct offensive contribution several forwards. Forwards score and so get the most points. The three non-strikers on this list - Ronaldo, Fabregas and Young - are all having phenomenal years.

http://soccerstatistics.blogspot.com/search/label/Cristiano%20Ronaldo

ask any manager who they woukd want in there team at the moment
ronaldo, Van Persie, Kaka', Messi, Ballack, Torres, Fabregas or berbatov Berbatov?

the answer is easy

Alpha Centauri
ronaldo is not overated lol. he can take players on better than van persie and pato aswell. pato shouldnt be named in the same breath as ronaldo. not yet anyway

no one is following the flavour of the month ac. ronaldo is the best player in the world at the moment. i think you would just rather be different.

i still think kaka is the best in the world overall. but at the moment it is ronaldo by far.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United
Games started 22, Goals 21 (leads league), Assists 2, Points 23 (1.08 points per 90 minutes)

2. Emmanuel Adebayor, Arsenal
Games started 23, Goals 19, Assists 3, Points 22 (.94 points per 90 minutes)

3. Wayne Rooney, Manchester United
Games started 17, Goals 8, Assists 7, Points 15 (.93 points per 90 minutes)

4. Salomon Kalou, Chelsea
Games started 14, Goals 5, Assists 8, Points 13 (.91 points per 90 minutes)

5. Fernando Torres, Liverpool
Games started 20, Goals 15, Assists 2, Points 17 (.86 points per 90 minutes)

6. Cesc Fabregas, Arsenal
Games started 22, Goals 7, Assists 12 (leads league), Points 19 (.84 points per 90 minutes)

7. Robbie Keane, Tottenham Hotspur
Games started 20, Goals 12, Assists 5, Points 17 (.84 points per 90 minutes)

8. Dimitar Berbatov, Tottenham Hotspur
Games started 21, Goals 10, Assists 8, Points 18 (.81 points per 90 minutes)

9. Carlos Teves, Manchester United
Games started 24, Goals 11, Assists 6, Points 17 (.74 points per 90 minutes)

10. Ashley Young, Aston Villa
Games started 26, Goals 4, Assists 12, Points 16 (.63 points per 90 minutes)

This list indicates that the current situation of the EPL is that a few big clubs own the most productive players. It does not claim to say that a player on this list is automatically better than another player. Someone like Steven Gerrard is the second most productive central midfielder n the EPL, behind only Fabregas, but he unsurprisingly falls behind in his direct offensive contribution several forwards. Forwards score and so get the most points. The three non-strikers on this list - Ronaldo, Fabregas and Young - are all having phenomenal years.

http://soccerstatistics.blogspot.com/search/label/Cristiano%20Ronaldo

ask any manager who they woukd want in there team at the moment
ronaldo, Van Persie, Kaka', Messi, Ballack, Torres, Fabregas or berbatov Berbatov?

the answer is easy

I actually haven't seen this level of fellation since your Peter Crouch days, and it concerns me that you're not even joking.

I can pick two Van Persie goals than Ronaldo will never have the skill or ability to replicate, much less be better at taking on players overall. He's a one trick pony.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YYFmuFdSI

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5IHE3gzFL0&feature=related

When has Ronaldo ever done anything of that magnitude? Never. Because he doesn't have the better overall natural ability on the ball. He couldn't do it.

If you cannot factually prove Ronaldo is the best in the world, stop acting like he is and I'm just not admitting it. Prove it beyond opinion and I will be forced to agree, but you can't, cos it's opinion.

Furthermore, those stats don't even reflect the greatness you claim he has.

It's stupid to say "Any manager would pick him over these players.", because we both know for a fact that Wenger wouldn't.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't think any manager in the world would pick Van Persie over Ronaldo. He can only handle about 20 games a season. Plus his scoring record ain't all that and a bag of chips, yet he's considered a striker.

Alpha Centauri
Wenger would.

So like it or not, you're wrong.

-AC

Deano
I actually haven't seen this level of fellation since your Peter Crouch days, and it concerns me that you're not even joking.

I can pick two Van Persie goals than Ronaldo will never have the skill or ability to replicate, much less be better at taking on players overall. He's a one trick pony.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YYFmuFdSI

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5IHE3gzFL0&feature=related

When has Ronaldo ever done anything of that magnitude? Never. Because he doesn't have the better overall natural ability on the ball. He couldn't do it.

If you cannot factually prove Ronaldo is the best in the world, stop acting like he is and I'm just not admitting it. Prove it beyond opinion and I will be forced to agree, but you can't, cos it's opinion.

Furthermore, those stats don't even reflect the greatness you claim he has.

It's stupid to say "Any manager would pick him over these players.", because we both know for a fact that Wenger wouldn't.

-AC

im not denying persies qualitys am i? his technique is better than ronaldos when it comes to shooting. does that make him a better player than ronaldo? err no.

how do you know wenger would pick van persie over ronaldo? have you asked him?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wenger would.

So like it or not, you're wrong.

-AC

No, he wouldn't.

So, love it or hate it, you're wrong.

Victor Von Doom

how do you know wenger would pick van persie over ronaldo? have you asked him?

Bit ludicrous given that you previously claimed every manager in the world would pick Ronaldo. Did you ask them all?

Alpha Centauri
Good point.

im not denying persies qualitys am i? his technique is better than ronaldos when it comes to shooting. does that make him a better player than ronaldo? err no.

Who said his technique of shooting is what makes him better?

He's a better natural player.

-AC

ultimatethor
I think the general consensus is that Zidane is the best player in the last fifteen years which i believe to be true.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by ultimatethor
I think the general consensus is that Zidane is the best player in the last fifteen years which i believe to be true.

Real Ronaldo is/was better.

ultimatethor
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Real Ronaldo is/was better.

Ronaldo was great in his time and it is arguable about he and zidane but ithink zidane was better due to skill, ball control,technique,intelligence and having a longer career( in which he was playing well). Ronaldo was neva the same after his inter injury

Victor Von Doom
He didn't have better skill though. Or ball control. Or technique. Ronaldo was amazing. Without injuries he'd be up there with the best ever.

X2NHqSXftzU

ultimatethor
He didn't have better skill though. Or ball control. Or technique. Ronaldo was amazing. Without injuries he'd be up there with the best ever.

X2NHqSXftzU

IMO Zidane is already up there with the best ever. Ball control aside maybe maradona i dont see who could compare with him not evn ronaldo. Just watch France vs portugal Euro 2000 and youl see the type of ball control im talking about. There is a piece of chest to leg control that he performed that i still dont know how he did. After jumping up to control a particularly hard pass he chested the ball over his head and turned a full 360 degrees while on his TOES whilst still maintaning perfect balance and with his eye still on the ball proceeded to perfectly trap the ball before it hit the ground all this right infront of the bewildered defenders. Or the match against Southafrica in the 98 world cup where zidane kept the ball from 3 southAfrican playas while on one knee. I also disagree when it comes to skill and technique, i have loads of zidane vs Ronaldo vidoes though ronaldo was skillfull Zidane showed more raw skill and especially technique . Aside the normal leg overs and 360 degree turns zidane has skills that ive seen only him do. During the a la liga match against i think zaragoza or athelitico( ill have to watch the video again) zidane actually used the spin of the ball to make it go round the opposing playa not over but round him. He was in the midfield
and the ball wass passed back to him by his team mate, however there was an on rushing playa of the opposing team quite close to him. He actually used the outside of to immediately change the spin of the oncoming ball which caused it to lift into the air and spin round the oncoming playas right side while he spun round the playas left side and
trapped the ball behind him. Just one of many great displays of skill and technique from zidane. And their is his champs final goal with his left foot( weaker leg) cant forget about that.

Deano
zidane was legendary. one of the best of the modern age.

jaden101
if we're talking about the zidane/ronaldo thing...for me, ronaldo had the lightning quick acceleration and pace and could stop on a penny, change direction and completely baffle defences by doing it...zidane always seemed more composed and aware of his surroundings...i remember someone about to do a rather rash tackle on him and he simply stood there...never even glancing in the players direction...simply dragged the ball back and the defender went sliding past....then he just trotted off with the ball as if nothing happened

in terms of control...you cant reall seperate them...they just did it differently....ronaldo with pace and power and zidane with finesse

Victor Von Doom
IMO Zidane is already up there with the best ever. Ball control aside maybe maradona i dont see who could compare with him not evn ronaldo. Just watch France vs portugal Euro 2000 and youl see the type of ball control im talking about. There is a piece of chest to leg control that he performed that i still dont know how he did. After jumping up to control a particularly hard pass he chested the ball over his head and turned a full 360 degrees while on his TOES whilst still maintaning perfect balance and with his eye still on the ball proceeded to perfectly trap the ball before it hit the ground all this right infront of the bewildered defenders. Or the match against Southafrica in the 98 world cup where zidane kept the ball from 3 southAfrican playas while on one knee. I also disagree when it comes to skill and technique, i have loads of zidane vs Ronaldo vidoes though ronaldo was skillfull Zidane showed more raw skill and especially technique . Aside the normal leg overs and 360 degree turns zidane has skills that ive seen only him do. During the a la liga match against i think zaragoza or athelitico( ill have to watch the video again) zidane actually used the spin of the ball to make it go round the opposing playa not over but round him. He was in the midfield
and the ball wass passed back to him by his team mate, however there was an on rushing playa of the opposing team quite close to him. He actually used the outside of to immediately change the spin of the oncoming ball which caused it to lift into the air and spin round the oncoming playas right side while he spun round the playas left side and
trapped the ball behind him. Just one of many great displays of skill and technique from zidane.

Sounds like Bergkamp versus Newcastle.

I'm not saying Zidane wasn't great. Ronaldo at his best was greater. Effectively unstoppable.

jaden101

I'm not saying Zidane wasn't great. Ronaldo at his best was greater. Effectively unstoppable.

that one?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEXkik6Iuk

still baffles me...genius

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ronaldo was undoubtably the bomb, but Zidane was the peace.

My core value is: Make love, not war. So, Zidane wins it.

ultimatethor

No problem evrybody has their own diferent opinion. In pele's opinion zidane was better though. And evn when Ronaldinho made his list he put Zidane as 1 and Ronaldo as 2 not that it really matters as they are both just opinions anyways

Deano
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bT3mG3DWA

this was one of zidanes great skills.

he was better than ronaldo for me. a more complete player

ultimatethor

Personally i am of the same opinion. He played the game with such finesse it looked like he was floating on the field

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by jaden101
that one?

nCEXkik6Iuk

still baffles me...genius

Yeah that's the one. You can embed Youtube videos- just use youtube as the tag (rather than url), and only put in the bit after the = sign.

No problem evrybody has their own diferent opinion. In pele's opinion zidane was better though. And evn when Ronaldinho made his list he put Zidane as 1 and Ronaldo as 2 not that it really matters as they are both just opinions anyways

Yeah, but Pele put Diouf in his top 100 players. Originally posted by Deano

Well, many players are more complete than Cron at the moment, yet he seems to be the best in the world.

Zidane wasn't as skillful as Ronaldo.

He was a better passer, better vision, better at running a game. That he could also perform a lot of tricks doesn't make him more skillful than everyone as well.

ultimatethor
I know alot of people who consider zidane to be more skillful dan ronaldo
so dats definitely debatable. I guess its all a matter of personal opininon

Victor Von Doom
Well, it is in a sense. One of them is factually more skillful, obviously. Just hard to definitively prove which it is.

SydBarrett
in no particular order
Batistuta-Romario-Buffon-Saviola-Cristiano Ronaldo

jaden101
i think Saviola could have been but buckled under his own hype...all that "the next Maradona" bullshit....who can live up to that?

SydBarrett

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by jaden101
i think Saviola could have been but buckled under his own hype...all that "the next Maradona" bullshit....who can live up to that?

Messi if he can stay injury-free.

Alpha Centauri
If anything, Messi has proved he's worthy by scoring an almost identical copy of one of the greatest goals ever.

-AC

jaden101
difference between them though is Messi plays for one of the best club teams in the world...at Maradona's peak he played for Napoli and took them from mid table also-rans to league winners twice...copa Italia winners...UEFA cup winners....his national side in 86 was also relatively poor with the only other stand-out being Burruchaga

but it's early doors in his career so who knows

Alpha Centauri
I don't really believe in the notions of "The next...someone." in terms of anything. It's kinda pointless.

-AC

SydBarrett
I completely agree with AC. If Maradona had thought of being the next Di Stefano everytime he played, he would've not got that far.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.