Why did Marka Ragnos and the Sith of his era use Sith Swords?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthsith19
I was just wondering, why do Marka Ragnos and the Sith in his era wield SIth Swords instead of lightsabers? Lightsabers were around at that time, Tulak Hord used one and he was around before Ragnos.

Ivalice
Maybe it is due to personal preference.

Darth Exodus
It might have been a lack of 'saber crystals. Do we know what world's were part of the Sith Empire and wether any of them had lightsaber crystal reserves.

Darth Sexy
This is where all the plot holes, inconsistencies, and retcons come in. It is stated that the Exiles came with no weapons and either forgot or chose not to create lightsabers, instead going for sith powered swords. It was also said in Jedi vs. Sith that Exar Kun created his double blade possibly from the exiles' instruction. So it's weird that they would use sith swords, then switch back to lightsabers, then go back to swords.

Tangible God
It's also perhaps due to the fact that they can imbue swords with magical properties of some such. Sadow would have preferred to have poisoned his enemies rather than simply cauterize their wounds.

Luminatus
They look cooler.

Elite Hunter
I think the early "archaic" lightsabers were at a disadvantage originally with the power-pack and cord so a sith word enhanced by the darkside may still be very affective. I am interested as to what type of lightsaber Tulak Hord used.

Gambler
There was a jedi, that fought with a wooden stick. How do you like that?

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Gambler
There was a jedi, that fought with a wooden stick. How do you like that?

Vos's stick was said to become more powerful than Exar Kun's lightsaber during the duel on Dantooine.

Pyron_Knight
I want someone to fight with a wet noodle and make it stronger than a lightsaber.

Light_Sith
What did Githany use to spar with in Kaan's Brotherhood?

caedusrulesall
Originally posted by Light_Sith
What did Githany use to spar with in Kaan's Brotherhood?

She used a lightwhip, didn't she?

Light_Sith
Originally posted by caedusrulesall
She used a lightwhip, didn't she?

Yes.

In sparring the rest would use swords with poisoned edges to simulate the loss of a limb.

Darth Exodus
Mabye she took on board Pyron Knights suggestion and used a noodle.

Neo_Version 7
Just out of curiousity since we are talking swords, how strong do you guys think those Gungan shields are? I mean, would they prove a deadly combination with a Sith sword. That would be bas ass.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
Just out of curiousity since we are talking swords, how strong do you guys think those Gungan shields are? I mean, would they prove a deadly combination with a Sith sword. That would be bas ass. It'd look pretty stupid too. Imagine though, a primitive plasma shield outclassing or matching galactic weaponry.

Neo_Version 7
I don't know. I like the idea. It'd be a beckoning to Medieval times.

They could have had lightsabre jousting competitions with those shields as well.

Tangible God
I'll admit, I'd like to see some laser shields being used in the saber fights. And the Medieval aspects were supposed to be seen in the lightsaber duels, ya know, the one on one sword fights in a universe of spaceships and laser beams.

Pyron_Knight
Sith Swords are hax. They can block blasterrs and go blade-to-blade with lightsabers without being damaged.

Neo_Version 7
I associate it more with the Feudal Era in Japan with all the samurai and Tom Cruise running around but I see your point.

Were there any 'Battle of Thermopylae' type clashes in the SW universe? Just curious. And don't tell me Geonosis. Yoda practically used cheat codes by using the clones.

Tangible God
Any Alamo's? I guess the Battle of Hoth. Or the Seventh Battle of Ruusan.

Neo_Version 7
In that case, I'll take what I can get.

But it would've been good to have a "THIS IS HOTH!" moment.

Tangible God
Kaan: "This is suicide."

Hoth: "THIS IS HOTH!"

Sounds alright.

Neo_Version 7
Don't forget the kick to a bottemless pit.

Tangible God
Or in this case into a wave of Dark Side energy which eliminates all life in its radius.

Neo_Version 7
Talk about a last stand.

Pyron_Knight
They probably use them because, according the Dark Side Sourcebook, the blades are strengthened by the dark side of the Force.
It be handy because the stronger you are in the dakr side, the more powerful your blade is.

Neo_Version 7
So is it possible to wield a katana, let's say, against your ordinary lightsabre? Granted you are consumed by the dark side and all that.

Lightsnake
There's a reason and the Sith gave it several times themselves:

A sith sword feels a LOT better to kill your enemy with.

Kapton JAC
Were they not made of cortosis? because if they were then yea, at the time the swords would have been superior.

And if they weren't, well, we all know that the dark side is a path way to many abilities that some would consiter to be... unnatural.

Lightsnake
They weren't. The sith likely didn't have cortosis

Elite Hunter
Originally they may not have been made Cortosis, though I believe the ones(sith tremor sword) found in use by Revan's sith empire were .

Neo_Version 7
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys.

So can regular blades be used as Sith Swords or is there a standard?

Elite Hunter
There is a standard cause the original blades were most likely made out some type metal from Korriban and infused with the key ingredient sith alchemy.

Neo_Version 7
Ohhhhhh. I see.

By the way, looking at your avatar, do you think Wentworth would make a better Sith or a better Jedi?

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
Ohhhhhh. I see.

By the way, looking at your avatar, do you think Wentworth would make a better Sith or a better Jedi?

He would be a jedi probably, I believe a psychiatrist said that his character, Michael Scofield has become very attuned to the suffering others around which is why he allows Tweener to escape Fox River despite him being a snitch.

Neo_Version 7
True that.

Michael would be Luke
Linc would be Han
Sucre would be Chewie
Mahone would be...I don't know. Vader

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by Lightsnake
They weren't. The sith likely didn't have cortosis

Either way, the Dark Side leads to many great things, I could see how it could make a sword that strong. And it would be more free to wield than those ancient light-sabers with those power packs and everything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.