Marvel vs. Capcom 2 For PS2-Does anyone have it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jgiant
Its pretty crazy people are selling this shit for like $85. I remember playing the first one when i was a kid and i had X-men: children of the atom for sega saturn and those two games are insane. Just wondering if anyone has it and wants to negotiate a price with me.

ragesRemorse
I have x-men children of the atom for Saturn.

Yeah, even at gamestop or the eXchange Marvel VS Capcom costs $60. I have seen it go for upwards to $150 on ebay and $70 on amazon. Thats almost as crazy as intelligent cube. You could always download MAME and then get the rom to play marvel vs capcom2, but downloading roms for mame is illegal wink

Kazenji
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
but downloading roms for mame is illegal wink

Thats why you keep quiet about it stick out tongue

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Kazenji
Thats why you keep quiet about it stick out tongue

what can i say..., I'm a punk at heart laughing out loud

General Kaliero
*ahem*

ragesRemorse, I'm pretty sure you know the rules, dude. We don't talk about ROMs and emulators, remember? stick out tongue

Dark-Jaxx
I'll emulate your ROM.

Triple Six
What is so great about the PS2 version of this game.

Barker
More like what's NOT great about the PS2 version of this game, amirong?

ragesRemorse
Holy shit, i traded one of my friends Todd Mcfarlanes, T-800 figure for his Ps2 and xbox copies of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 eek!

It wasn't until the next day that i let him know these games go for at least $80 on amazon laughing

After i transfer the xbox version onto my xbox im selling these bitches. I might hang onto the ps2 one. If i do, the T-800 goes for around $60, but i have two, so i wouldnt lose anything if i do hold on to it. Damn, i love friends.

JacopeX
Have it for X-Box. I am just glad I bought it before they took it off the shelves. happy

Kazenji
I would'nt getting this game but yea its been discoutined down here in australia.

Nemesis X
I'd get this game if it gets recreated for the PS3 or 360. It's graphics can be similar to the ones in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and the figthing styles need some serious changing.

GenomeFrozener
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Holy shit, i traded one of my friends Todd Mcfarlanes, T-800 figure for his Ps2 and xbox copies of Marvel Vs Capcom 2

As a Terminator nut, I would of so bought that from you.

JustFrame
Gameplay standpoint, MvC2 for the PS2 and XBox is really, really, really horrible. Super huge slow downs, damage is way off, things get choppy alot of times...man, it's just annoying.

PS2 MvC2 is expensive because it's a rare item, however I'd rather play the DreamCast version over any other version. It is nearly 100% arcade flawless, and has no slow downs whatsoever, plus it contains all of the sprites from the arcade version transfered to the DC.

I never understood why for Sony this couldn't of happened, because then MvC2 would have been more easily accessible to players then trying to get it for the DC.

Fun for the PS2 if your playing for casuals though.

ragesRemorse
To me this is the ultimate nerd party game.

I agree that the DC version plays better but it lacks the PS2 controller.

Magee

chithappens
Originally posted by JustFrame
Gameplay standpoint, MvC2 for the PS2 and XBox is really, really, really horrible. Super huge slow downs, damage is way off, things get choppy alot of times...man, it's just annoying.

WTF are you talking about? Do you even play this game?

JustFrame
Originally posted by chithappens
WTF are you talking about? Do you even play this game?

Yes, I do, in fact, I used to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the competitive lvl, I used to participate in the Evolution Tournaments for this game a few years back...so yes, I would know a thing or two when pertaining to MvC2.

Nobody, who plays MvC2 seriously would ever use the PS2/XBox version as the one for tournament play. Look at any real MvC2 tournament and all of them will have the DreamCast MvC2.

Why, because DC MvC2 is nearly 100% arcade flawless, meaning, it's not missing sprites, which the PS2/XBox have, it does not have slow downs when alot of things get into the screen which the PS2/XBox have, damage is not scaled down to keep it 100% unlike the PS2/XBox version in which all damage is scaled down.

This makes characters who where bad in the first place, even more worse then before, and slow downs screw up players as well, not to mention hit properties/boxes for characters are completely off.

Have I played MvC2 PS2 and XBox version??? Yes, I have, in fact I own the PS2 version, and have played the XBox version numerous times, they are nearly identical to one another, while the DC version is the only real legit MvC2 game.

PS2 MvC2 is costly and sells for super high prices is because of it's rarity value, not because of it being a "good" conversion from the arcade game, which it is not.

Again PS2 version is fun for casuals and nothing too serious, but if you want serious MvC2 play with flawless gameplay at basically 100% arcade flawlessness, it's the Dream Cast version.

chithappens
I own the Xbox version and the DC version, and play the PS2 version often enough to say there is not much of a difference.

The slowdown does not occur often and it's only when multiple "team" supers come out at once but that also happens on the DC...

ragesRemorse
Yes, I do, in fact, I used to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the competitive lvl, I used to participate in the Evolution Tournaments for this game a few years back...so yes, I would know a thing or two when pertaining to MvC2.

Nobody, who plays MvC2 seriously would ever use the PS2/XBox version as the one for tournament play. Look at any real MvC2 tournament and all of them will have the DreamCast MvC2.

If you were that serious about playing in tournaments wouldnt you be playing it on the arcade?

chithappens
Most tournaments nowadays are console. Arcade is inredibly expensive in comparison. People will bring "sticks" instead of playing with the joypads.

JustFrame
I own the Xbox version and the DC version, and play the PS2 version often enough to say there is not much of a difference.

The slowdown does not occur often and it's only when multiple "team" supers come out at once but that also happens on the DC...

It absolutely does not happen on the DC version...in fact, watch everysingle competitive Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in recent years, nearly 90% of those are from the DC version, and you will notice Zero Frame Skips and Zero Slow downs.

The reason you don't know there is any difference is most likely because you haven't played this game on a higher lvl. Let me tell you something, some of Magneto's resets and rom's are 10x more difficult to do on the PS2 version due to the changes of character Hit Boxes and slow downs on the PS2/XBox version, while on the DC version, the combos work exactly like how they would in the arcade version.

Changing of hitboxes can completely modify the game itself from it's arcade counterparts, and this will ultimately stop it from being played on a serious note.

Just look at Capcom vs Snk 2 on the XBox for instance, damage scaling is completely watered down, alot of things from the arcade where removed, like RCing, hit boxes where changed. All of these where obvious reasons why when CvsS2 is played competitively, only the PS2 version is used because it is arcade perfect.

In fact, if what you state above is true...then why is it that everysingle MvC2 tournament held that doesn't involve the arcade itself only has the Dream Cast version played on it? Reason, DC version is arcade perfect.

PS2 has horrible slow downs, even when I'm trying to set up resets, I can get slow downs, which completely messes up with my timing. Not to mention, my brother when he does Fly/Unfly combos with Sent then summons Commando for AAA, it can slow down tremendously, throwing his timing completely off.

There shouldn't even be an argument or debate about which one is better, the DC version blows the PS2/XBox version out of the water. "If" the PS2/XBox version where arcade perfect, more players would have access to MvC2 now a days, not to mention the PS2 would be the MvC2 being used at tournaments, because the system is self is numerous allowing greater access.

However, this is not the case, because when your missing sprites, hitboxes are different, horrible slow downs, toned down damage...all of these accumulate to a different MvC2 game that is not like the arcade version, which is what it's supposed to be like.

Lastly, to other peeps, when playing on the DC version, you either buy the plug in that allows you to use other controllers from different systems, or else, you do like what most people do, use a J-Stick, imo, playing MvC2 with the J-Stick is a must.

Because it becomes really difficult to use a controller simply because of the button lay outs.

dvampire
Who cares. I still perfer PS2 over DC (and I have both) because of the controller. I can barely tell the difference between them; I guess you can only tell if you're actually looking for errors between the two. And I can't stand J-sticks (I never play at arcades), I'll take a controller any day.

dvampire
It absolutely does not happen on the DC version...in fact, watch everysingle competitive Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in recent years, nearly 90% of those are from the DC version, and you will notice Zero Frame Skips and Zero Slow downs.

The reason you don't know there is any difference is most likely because you haven't played this game on a higher lvl. Let me tell you something, some of Magneto's resets and rom's are 10x more difficult to do on the PS2 version due to the changes of character Hit Boxes and slow downs on the PS2/XBox version, while on the DC version, the combos work exactly like how they would in the arcade version.

Changing of hitboxes can completely modify the game itself from it's arcade counterparts, and this will ultimately stop it from being played on a serious note.

Just look at Capcom vs Snk 2 on the XBox for instance, damage scaling is completely watered down, alot of things from the arcade where removed, like RCing, hit boxes where changed. All of these where obvious reasons why when CvsS2 is played competitively, only the PS2 version is used because it is arcade perfect.

In fact, if what you state above is true...then why is it that everysingle MvC2 tournament held that doesn't involve the arcade itself only has the Dream Cast version played on it? Reason, DC version is arcade perfect.

PS2 has horrible slow downs, even when I'm trying to set up resets, I can get slow downs, which completely messes up with my timing. Not to mention, my brother when he does Fly/Unfly combos with Sent then summons Commando for AAA, it can slow down tremendously, throwing his timing completely off.

There shouldn't even be an argument or debate about which one is better, the DC version blows the PS2/XBox version out of the water. "If" the PS2/XBox version where arcade perfect, more players would have access to MvC2 now a days, not to mention the PS2 would be the MvC2 being used at tournaments, because the system is self is numerous allowing greater access.

However, this is not the case, because when your missing sprites, hitboxes are different, horrible slow downs, toned down damage...all of these accumulate to a different MvC2 game that is not like the arcade version, which is what it's supposed to be like.

Lastly, to other peeps, when playing on the DC version, you either buy the plug in that allows you to use other controllers from different systems, or else, you do like what most people do, use a J-Stick, imo, playing MvC2 with the J-Stick is a must.

Because it becomes really difficult to use a controller simply because of the button lay outs.

If you were to play MVC2 on PS2/Xbox and lose, would you blame it on the game not being arcade perfect? wink

JustFrame
Originally posted by dvampire
If you were to play MVC2 on PS2/Xbox and lose, would you blame it on the game not being arcade perfect? wink

If I where to play the PS2 version, I wouldn't take it serious anyhow due to the property of the game itself, given I would smash any scrub or average MvC2 in the PS2/XBox version, however the point is, that the PS2/XBox version is not a perfect port of the real MvC2 game.

Lastly, if I was playing serious, and my opponent wanted to play MvC2 seriously...we wouldn't be playing the PS2 version anyhow. To, DVampire, the "controller" subject can be completely negated by buying the multi-controller plug in, which can allow you to use the PS2 Controller on the DC version, it sells online for like $15-20 dollars, a cheap price, and it allows you to play any controller on any game, it's a win-win situation.

I've seen people bring those to tournaments before.

dvampire
If I where to play the PS2 version, I wouldn't take it serious anyhow due to the property of the game itself, given I would smash any scrub or average MvC2 in the PS2/XBox version, however the point is, that the PS2/XBox version is not a perfect port of the real MvC2 game.

Lastly, if I was playing serious, and my opponent wanted to play MvC2 seriously...we wouldn't be playing the PS2 version anyhow. To, DVampire, the "controller" subject can be completely negated by buying the multi-controller plug in, which can allow you to use the PS2 Controller on the DC version, it sells online for like $15-20 dollars, a cheap price, and it allows you to play any controller on any game, it's a win-win situation.

I've seen people bring those to tournaments before.

I never knew you could pick any controller to use for a tournament that's good news and make since too. Nobody wants to here some lame excuse from someone after they lose then start blaming it on the controller or the console itself (I have a lot of friends that do that). smile

Anyways, you said you enter MVC2 tournaments, were you any good, like able to play against the top palyers like justin or Alex? And what was your favorite team to use (or the team you play best with)?

chithappens

1) The DC version DID have slowdown in the exact same instances I mentioned, just like the arcade. Get over yourself man.

2) RC'ing was gay in the first place. That's why me and my buddies stopped playing cause it makes a lot of stuff inconsistent and weird.

On a side note, it seems you were one of those people who only uses top tier characters. laughing

Vampire Savior
I got it but it's illegal.

JustFrame
Originally posted by dvampire
I never knew you could pick any controller to use for a tournament that's good news and make since too. Nobody wants to here some lame excuse from someone after they lose then start blaming it on the controller or the console itself (I have a lot of friends that do that). smile

Anyways, you said you enter MVC2 tournaments, were you any good, like able to play against the top palyers like justin or Alex? And what was your favorite team to use (or the team you play best with)?

They allow controllers, what most tournaments don't or that most players won't allow is having you macro buttons, like 3x Punches or 3x Kicks into one button on controllers.

This is a big reason why I play the J-Stick when it comes to MvC2 because the buttons aren't in awkward positions to input and execute. Given I've learned how to do it on the d-pad through years of playing, however my lvl of gameplay is not on the same lvl as if I where to use a stick.

As for tournaments, I've played in many, a couple in Evo, and there's just no way, guys like Justin and all are on a completely, and I mean this completely different level.

One of my buddy who lives in Cali is a much better MvC2 player then I am, and he placed only within the top 33 in MvC2 in the US. I would have to only dream about placing that well, simply because MvC2, the gaps between a solid player, to a super elite is just simply gigantic in comparison to other fighting games.

1) The DC version DID have slowdown in the exact same instances I mentioned, just like the arcade. Get over yourself man.

Proof? Considering the entire MvC2 Tournament Community disagree's with you, pretty much makes your statement above completely mute. Guys like J.Wong, or the top-players, heck, you don't even have to be a top player in MvC2 realize that the DC version is near arcade perfect.

I've seen countless Triple Team Supers with ZERO lag on MvC2 for the DC during my multiple years of playing it on there. Why is it that Sent's Fly/Unfly combos don't lag on the DC...but they magically do on the PS2/XBox version.

Why is it that hit-boxes are all weird and completely whiff on the PS2/XBox version, but they are perfect in stride with the arcade version for the DC Version?

Care to explain that to me?

So it's either we are all wrong (meaning MvC2 community), are you are the only one who is right...in fact, watch everysingle MvC2 video for Evolution for the past 6 years and see if you see any huge gigantic "slow down", because ALL of them where utilizing the Dream Cast MvC2.

2) RC'ing was gay in the first place. That's why me and my buddies stopped playing cause it makes a lot of stuff inconsistent and weird.

Yet every serious CvsS2 players knows, that RCing has helped out alot of characters who weren't that effective, to actually be effective. Ever seen Ryu's do Shankunetsu RC's? Ever seen how beastly E. Honda got with RC's? Characters like Guile, Hibiki, Honda, Ryu, Ken, Gouki, Chunli, Claw, Iori, etc, etc all gained better advantages in matchups with the help of RC's.

Ever noticed that CvsS2 is not completely infested with Sagat's doing c.fp 24/7 with RC's now in the picture, compared to when RC was not in the picture and how much more powerful Sagat was Pre-RC Days (Pre-RC Days almost 95% of the teams was infested with Sagat...because their was absolutely NO ANSWER up against Sagat's C.FP, now a days, with the help of RC's it can blow right through it). Ever noticed that RC's are not even used that much during real-time match ups, even though it is extremely powerful.

On a side note, it seems you were one of those people who only uses top tier characters. laughing

If you actually understood the notion of what I meant by arcade perfect, you would realize that competitive players like to play a perfect port of the real legit game.

How retarded would it be if Tekken 5 came to the PS2 and was completely different from the arcade version, even though it was supposed to be an perfect arcade port? What if they would of had slow downs...Or Hit-Box changes...or toned down damage, when it was stated to be a perfect arcade port.

Would you think this would have been used at Evo2k5 if that was the case? The Answer to that is quite obvious.

Why do you think that nobody uses the ST games from the PS2 to play ST at Evo?

It's not a question about using Top-Tiers, it's a question of...Is this game an actual true port of the game that was released from the arcade, which is what it was intended/stated to be like

When you finally realized this, you would understand what I am trying to say to you.

Zoron
Originally posted by Kazenji
Thats why you keep quiet about it stick out tongue indeed eek!

jinXed by JaNx
Sounds like we might see a Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the future.

Nemesis X
It's awfully sad that Marvel vs. Capcom's substitute was MKvsDC. I can just hear Ryu, Spider-Man, and everyone else crying off in the distance.
Heal the wound Capcom by making a Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

jinXed by JaNx
http://kotaku.com/5029501/marvel-vs-capcom-3-otw

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
http://kotaku.com/5029501/marvel-vs-capcom-3-otw

Thank you kind sir for this information. I shall name my first born after you.

Magee

occultdestroyer
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for PS2
... for $60??!!

Way too expensive for a classic game.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
... for $60??!!

You have no idea how rare that game is. Its 80 used at gamestop around here.

Yoshi Paradise
One of my friends have this game, but the disc is slightly damaged.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
You have no idea how rare that game is. Its 80 used at gamestop around here.
I still have the game, with its original box set.

What makes it so special, even if it is rare?
There are other rare games for the PS2 or even older consoles that are priced lower than $60.

jinXed by JaNx
... for $60??!!

I agree but $60 is actually a decent deal for that game. laughing out loud I sold my xbox copy to the eXchange for $35 and that was cash, not credit. From one game, that is insane.

Magee
I still have the game, with its original box set.

What makes it so special, even if it is rare?
There are other rare games for the PS2 or even older consoles that are priced lower than $60. Capcom lost the Marvel license shortly after it's release so they couldn't distribute it any more and it has only gone up in price since then. It's a good game with good fighting mechanics so I hear, don't know much about that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.