The Real Hobbiton

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceKP
Hey everyone, I visited the actual farm in New Zealand where Hobbiton was filmed. It was interesting:

The farm was about 45 minutes outside of a small town in NZ. NZ has some of the most beautiful rolling hills and landscape. There are 8 sheep for every person in that country. It was raining that day, so as you can imagine, people were slipping on sheep doo all over the place. :-)

Paths were carved into the side of a hill, where they dug the hobbit holes. So we were led up these hills to the top, where we found a massive pile of wood...which was Bilbo's huge tree that the banner was raised by in the movie! It was so sad! They cut it down!

There were still steamers on the ground from the actual filming of the party scene. But almost all of the set was missing. They had originally designed to restore it to its' original form, but a massive rain postponed the rest of the tear down. During that waiting period the farmer got in contact with the producers and convinced them to leave it be, which has now turned into a cash cow for the farmers.

All in all, it was a great land and kind of neat, for a LOTRs buff like me.

I even went home with Hobbiton shot glasses. Happy Dance

Gannon
Thats cool. I wonder if they'll use the same location for the new movies.

Darth Vicious
Thats cool indeed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.