What You Want To See In A Video Game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

geshien
What things would you most like to see happen in the video game world?

Be as detailed as you want.

i'd like to see an in depth "create a character" option in 3-D action/adventure games with (the kick ass) combat systems similar to that of the following:

God of War 1, 2, & 3
Devil May Cry 1, 3, & 4
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Bujingai: The Forsaken City
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

you get the idea... (honestly, i just can't think of any others)

i would like options such as choosing your special attacks or combos, much like picking "crossovers" in basketball games.

moreover, give me lots of different options for attacks so i can create a unique character. maybe make it as simple as just changing the sprites' color for the same attack. just let me personalize it.

even the option to choose a voice for my character would be nice. i get tired of getting to check points in games where my created character is mute during the cinematic but everyone else has a voice. subtitles are fine but, it gets old after a while.

furthermore i want a "good" or "evil" path choice. i.e. "Fable" or "KOTOR"

bottomline...

i want to take my favorite game-play type and have lots of options to go along with it.
(mostly create a character... i'm a sucker for that sh*t.)

Neo Darkhalen
More extra features in video games..and harder final boss fights.

Thunder Fox
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
More extra features in video games..and harder final boss fights. i agree with the boss fights i wanta a boss fight to be just that not something i can take out in less then an hour >.>

Neo Darkhalen
Indeed boss fights and final boss fights are easy as hell in these recent games of late.

Thunder Fox
is for the little kiddys that shouldnt even be playingsome of the games .......

DigiMark007
Leisure Suit Larry: High School Prom Edition

shifty

Kapton JAC
More concequences to your choices.

ragesRemorse
I would just like to see more in-depth stories presented in a cinematic style.

Oh yeah, i also yearn for more 3rd person action adventure titles and LESS first person shooters. I love FPS's as much as the next guy, but when the entire market is FPS games i can only tolerate them so much before i become completely tired of them

BackFire
More originality combined with quality.

More complex, meaningful storylines, that don't delve into melodrama in an attempt to create the illusion of being 'deep'.

Character development/interaction that feels meaningful, making the player have a vested, emotional interest in the characters (seeing this already with Mass Effect and Half Life 2 - Episode 2).

STAND ALONE GAMES. Game's that stand up on their own and don't fall back on the "well, it's part of a trilogy, so that excuses the first game from having an lackluster and unsatisfying conclusion". As if that's a valid reason, anyways.

Lastly, I'd like to see more developers putting more of their focus back into the single player aspects of their games, rather than concentrating firstly on the multiplayer, and having Single player come a distant second. (This is a pipe dream, mutliplayer is becoming more and more important, and unfortunately devs are seeing that as an excuse to skimp on single player gameplay).

geshien
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Oh yeah, i also yearn for more 3rd person action adventure titles and LESS first person shooters. I love FPS's as much as the next guy, but when the entire market is FPS games i can only tolerate them so much before i become completely tired of them

i hear that.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BackFire

Lastly, I'd like to see more developers putting more of their focus back into the single player aspects of their games, rather than concentrating firstly on the multiplayer, and having Single player come a distant second. (This is a pipe dream, mutliplayer is becoming more and more important, and unfortunately devs are seeing that as an excuse to skimp on single player gameplay).

HEAR HEAR!!

how many times can you play a 16 person deathmatch...,and how is that fun?

Unless there is a resurgence in independent developers, however, i dont see that happening any time soon. It kills me that nearly ever game has a wallet tearing budget and has to be marketed and hyped up like a blockbuster movie.

Kazenji
Also on that topic, For the people who don't have access to the net to play these FPS online for the offline stuff try and have bots to keep you entertained for the multiplayer otherwise its just useless (I'm looking at you Halo).....thank god for Free radical design (Timesplitters series) which has the right idea.

Peach
- Less focus on multiplayer, more on singleplayer.

- Games where your decisions actually DO have an effect on the game (KOTOR and Mass Effect claim this. It's not true in the least).

- A Star Wars game that's actually true to the movies (other than Lego SW, which is the closest that's been in ages).

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Peach
- Less focus on multiplayer, more on singleplayer.

- Games where your decisions actually DO have an effect on the game (KOTOR and Mass Effect claim this. It's not true in the least).

- A Star Wars game that's actually true to the movies (other than Lego SW, which is the closest that's been in ages).
Agreed on all three.

Also, more focus on deep and entertaining story.

Neo Darkhalen

More complex, meaningful storylines, that don't delve into melodrama in an attempt to create the illusion of being 'deep'.

Character development/interaction that feels meaningful, making the player have a vested, emotional interest in the characters (seeing this already with Mass Effect and Half Life 2 - Episode 2).

STAND ALONE GAMES. Game's that stand up on their own and don't fall back on the "well, it's part of a trilogy, so that excuses the first game from having an lackluster and unsatisfying conclusion". As if that's a valid reason, anyways.

Agreed on all points, plus as I said more features and harder boss battles...I really agree on the single person point and also on RR different variety of games, also I would like games to be longer games seem to be getting shorter and shorter these days.

Peach
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Agreed on all three.

Also, more focus on deep and entertaining story.

Yup, agreed.

Yeah, it's a pity about Halo, right?

Neo Darkhalen
Yes.

@st

One thing Halo 3 got right is the saved films and screenshots. I would love to see more games do something like that, Nintendo did it in their own crappy way with Smash Bros. I like being able to show off screenshots that link from the game to website, and saving videos to send over XBL.

Kapton JAC

Agreed on all acounts

ragesRemorse

laughing out loud mass effect laughing out loud mass disappointment

Estacado
TPS action game with fighting system similar to GOW or DMC or Ninja Gaiden with a good story ,free roaming ,customisable character.

Neo Darkhalen
Harder games.

BackFire
Yup, agreed.

Happens with many more games than that.

Gears of War, Assassin's Creed and Crysis, just to name a few.

And about Mass Effect. The decisions made do have a major impact in later portions of the games. The way the story progresses stays the same, but some other major things occur depending on what you decide to do.

geshien
Originally posted by Estacado
TPS action game with fighting system similar to GOW or DMC or Ninja Gaiden with a good story ,free roaming ,customisable character.

co-signed

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Estacado

hell yes, We need more rockstar games, they kick ass when it comes to fun. hopefully noir delivers. Too human seems like it may be a great damn game TPS

Kapton JAC
Happens with many more games than that.

Gears of War, Assassin's Creed and Crysis, just to name a few.

And about Mass Effect. The decisions made do have a major impact in later portions of the games. The way the story progresses stays the same, but some other major things occur depending on what you decide to do.

I would just like one game where your actions have an equal and opposite reaction. I mean Mass Effect really only had like 2 major moral decisions that were hard to make. The rest was "Oh, do I want Paragon or Renegade Points?' I mean don't get me wrong, I think Mass Effect was an amasing game, but I would love to some day see a game where your dicisions truly effect the world around you.

Like one thing that would have been AWESOME in Mass Effect would have been different objectives depending on in what order you went to each planet.

Neo Darkhalen
I really don't care for all that decision stuff, don't get me wrong it's a nice idea but I only go for the best endings anyway considering they always unlock extra stuff, that's the only reason why I would bother with decisions is for the extra content, if nothing is there then I don't really care, an ending is an ending regardless and at the end it will always close or leave the game open for another sequel.

General Kaliero
I really don't care for all that decision stuff, don't get me wrong it's a nice idea but I only go for the best endings anyway considering they always unlock extra stuff, that's the only reason why I would bother with decisions is for the extra content, if nothing is there then I don't really care, an ending is an ending regardless and at the end it will always close or leave the game open for another sequel.
...Wow. I heartily disagree with that.

And quite beside the point, Mass Effect gives you extra content for completing each of the three possible endings.

Neo Darkhalen
Yes well I just like playing the games, some are worth the story others are not.

as for Mass Effect I could never get into it and for me it is a disappointment, although I heard once you get your ship things pick up rather well.

General Kaliero
I'll play a poorly-made game if the story is good. Case in point; Assassin's Creed. Notable gameplay issues, but damnit, I wanted to know what happened next.

If you didn't even take command of the Normandy, I'm sorry, you really can't form a valid opinion of Mass Effect. It was a decent story well told, and I really felt connected with my Shepard; at least the first one. The decision system was once again a facade, but not as badly as KOTOR's was.

All in all, it was a good game with a good story, and in any case a step in the right direction for BioWare.

Neo Darkhalen
I'll play a poorly-made game if the story is good. Case in point; Assassin's Creed. Notable gameplay issues, but damnit, I wanted to know what happened next.

If you didn't even take command of the Normandy, I'm sorry, you really can't form a valid opinion of Mass Effect. It was a decent story well told, and I really felt connected with my Shepard; at least the first one. The decision system was once again a facade, but not as badly as KOTOR's was.

All in all, it was a good game with a good story, and in any case a step in the right direction for BioWare.

I have no idea what I am doing, I never got the ship but I found the first points to be boring as hell, I just could not get into it, but anyone can make an opinion and i have made mine already.

General Kaliero
I have no idea what I am doing, I never got the ship but I found the first points to be boring as hell, I just could not get into it, but anyone can make an opinion and i have made mine already.
Never said you couldn't make an opinion, I said you couldn't make a valid opinion of the game as a whole. That's like deciding whether or not you like a TV series based on watching one 5-minute opening sequence.

But whatever. I'm not trying to sell you the game, just stating my informed opinion based on completing the game entire.

Neo Darkhalen
Fair enough, and I agree for the most part since I guess you could only make that said opinion if you did complete the game, I have been told that as soon as you obtain the ship the game really picks up and gets going, but for me the start let the game down, as for AC case in point that is a game with a bad story.

Perhaps it's the whole fact that the game deceives players or to put it in milder terms misinforms them of what it is about.

Kapton JAC
...Wow. I heartily disagree with that.

And quite beside the point, Mass Effect gives you extra content for completing each of the three possible endings.

...Wait... 3? As in one more than 2? You mean to tell me that there are 3 endings and I, who loved Mass Effect so much that I played it 6 times in a row, back to back didn't know about it? I thought it was just one for paragon and one for remegade...

General Kaliero
Unless I am severely mistaken, there is a Paragon ending, a Renegade ending, and a middle-of-the-line ending in between them.

Dark-Jaxx
What Fable 2 is being promised to be. Sadly it prolly won't happen.

geshien
in regards to different in-game choices, i'm sure it just takes a long time to make a game as versatile as one may like.

that's gotta be a ton of writing.

WO Polaski
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
how many times can you play a 16 person deathmatch...,and how is that fun?

ermm

Outbound
A lightsaber combat game, where each button is mapped to a certain area, (using 360 controls cause its the only one Im familiar with), eg. left trigger swings it to the left, right trigger swings it to the right, Y swings up towards their head, A swings down to their legs, B & X block left and right, each button can be mixed together for combos, and no health bars - just dismemberment or death. Saber locking would occur by blocking with B or X, and while holding it down, pressing the left or right trigger to swing it back or forth.

geshien
Originally posted by Outbound
A lightsaber combat game, where each button is mapped to a certain area, (using 360 controls cause its the only one Im familiar with), eg. left trigger swings it to the left, right trigger swings it to the right, Y swings up towards their head, A swings down to their legs, B & X block left and right, each button can be mixed together for combos, and no health bars - just dismemberment or death. Saber locking would occur by blocking with B or X, and while holding it down, pressing the left or right trigger to swing it back or forth.

i know this is a little off topic but,
have you seen the new trailers for the latest star wars game?

"star wars: the force unleashed"

it looks really cool and there's a version for the wii.

now i know you said you are only familiar with the 360 controls but, you also said you want a lightsaber combat game. what better system than the wii?

Kapton JAC
Unless I am severely mistaken, there is a Paragon ending, a Renegade ending, and a middle-of-the-line ending in between them.

I thought that the ending was based on What your choice about Destiny Ascention was, one choice gave one ending and the other choice gave the other ending, but then again... hmm... I may have to try some stuff...

Originally posted by geshien

now i know you said you are only familiar with the 360 controls but, you also said you want a lightsaber combat game. what better system than the wii?

It would be cool, because I KNOW that the Wii's controls haven't been used to their fullest potential yet. Ofcourse it would require third party companies to get their act together regarding the Wii's controls. mad

Outbound

Yeah but Force Unleashed is based on force powers not lightsabers.

Theres no coherency with a Wiimote, no style or finesse when fighting, both players (multiplayer) would just be swinging around trying to kill each other. The reason I thought of 360 controls is with buttons its more precise, much more skill involved, you could button mash if you wanted but with blocking and parrying thrown in that the other player can counter with, it forces people to make tactics.

You cant really play something like Virtua Fighter or Tekken with a Wiimote, its too basic. I dont mean to bash the Wii cause Im sure its a cool machine, but the Wiimote isnt doing much for the more precise, hardcore gamers, its more suited to simple games like throwing a bowling ball or shooting or jumping around the screen. Its just basic onscreen movements that it relies on.
Like he said:
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
It would be cool, because I KNOW that the Wii's controls haven't been used to their fullest potential yet.

geshien

Theres no coherency with a Wiimote, no style or finesse when fighting, both players (multiplayer) would just be swinging around trying to kill each other. The reason I thought of 360 controls is with buttons its more precise, much more skill involved, you could button mash if you wanted but with blocking and parrying thrown in that the other player can counter with, it forces people to make tactics.

You cant really play something like Virtua Fighter or Tekken with a Wiimote, its too basic. I dont mean to bash the Wii cause Im sure its a cool machine, but the Wiimote isnt doing much for the more precise, hardcore gamers, its more suited to simple games like throwing a bowling ball or shooting or jumping around the screen. Its just basic onscreen movements that it relies on.
Like he said:

that doesn't necessarily mean that the wii remote won't be utilized they way people would like for "star wars: the force unleashed" just cross your fingers. (the game does LOOK good)

and i don't think anybody would argue that the wii would be ideal for any game with swords-play.

it's only a matter of time.

okay, now getting back on topic...

hey, a game with based on swords-play for the wii!

Peach

Like he said:

Well, games like Tekken wouldn't work with the Wii-mote - assuming they tried to do it using the motion sensitivity. Which they don't need to. Note that Brawl doesn't use the motion sensors at all.

that doesn't necessarily mean that the wii remote won't be utilized they way people would like for "star wars: the force unleashed" just cross your fingers. (the game does LOOK good)

and i don't think anybody would argue that the wii would be ideal for any game with swords-play.

it's only a matter of time.

okay, now getting back on topic...

hey, a game with based on swords-play for the wii!

No, a sword game with the Wii-mote really wouldn't work, not unless it was something where pre-determined moves of the remote triggered different moves in the game. But for actually simulating sword play (ie you move your arm, your character's arm moves the same way on screen) - no. It wouldn't really work.

Ushgarak
Absolutely. The idea that the perfect sabre game will come with 1:1 mnapped Wii controls is a pipe dream and only proposed by people that have not throught it through properly.

General Kaliero
Also agreed. 1:1 sword controls simply can't work the way people think or want.

geshien
fair enough, though i don't need 3 people to tell me the same thing. erm

WO Polaski
You do if you didn't believe the first one. stick out tongue

geshien
Originally posted by WO Polaski
You do if you didn't believe the first one. stick out tongue

laughing out loud

Spartan005
I'd like to see a first person shooter that combines Call of Duty's ridiculously awesome battles along with Halo's open ended vehicle sections and cinematics. The one thing I really dislike about CoD is the stupid first person perspective... the cutscenes just don't work for me. I just prefer Halo's more epic feel, and the cutscenes give you something to look forward to.

And I'd like to see a new MMORPG that has better gameplay than all of the previous ones. I love WoW as the next computer nerd, but after a while pressing the same buttons over and over again just gets really boring. I was thinking of something where the attacks are more manual... kind of like mass effect. so your character would always be in the same 3rd person perspective and maybe the spellcasting classes would go into an over the shoulder view while in combat.

Blax_Hydralisk
But SPARTAN005... Halo's cutsceens aren't innovative.

grey fox
More characters and different endings.

For example :

In Devil May Cry 3 your given the option to play as Dante's (the Protagonist) brother Vergil (in the main game, the Antagonist). However all you get is a different opening sequence and (what is essentially) two different skins and a few new moves.

While fun, it didn't particularly present anything new save for a slightly different style of play. I expected several new cutscenes (depicting Vergil moving throughout the Setting and defeating each of its occupants before brokering them to be the Bosses you encounter in game) and possibly more weapons.

Spartan005
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
But SPARTAN005... Halo's cutsceens aren't innovative.

Umm first of all, how can a cutscene be innovative? Secondly, I only said that I preferred it over the 1st person type, and finally l3@rN H0W 2 5P3LL LOL

Blax_Hydralisk
It was a joke.

A reference to the ridiculously long debate between you and and AC in the Halo 3 thread about the innovation of Halo 3.

Sheesh...

Kapton JAC
Also agreed. 1:1 sword controls simply can't work the way people think or want.

I don't think you are giving Nintendo the credit it deserves. It wouldn't be perfectly 1:1, but they could get it pretty close. It could be done.

Spartan005
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
It was a joke.

A reference to the ridiculously long debate between you and and AC in the Halo 3 thread about the innovation of Halo 3.

Sheesh...

wow you remember that?

thought you were just trying to start an argument lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.