The birth of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

surabhi

Epic Fail Guy
Not to be rude - but who doesn't know? It's very well-documented in just about everything concerned with either Lewis or Tolkien.

As for their relationship and their influences on one another....well, Lewis' "Narnia" can be blamed upon the meddling of....oh, I can't remember his name, but he was a (somewhat) mutual friend of the two who converted Lewis back to Christianity....as for Lewis' influence on Tolkien, well, it certainly existed, but I don't think it was necessarily major....

BTW: I'd say that Tolkien wrote his mythologies primarily for his enjoyment, and due to his original need to provide a coherent mythological framework for Britain, (specifically, the English portion).

Morridini
Originally posted by Epic Fail Guy
Not to be rude - but who doesn't know?

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing.

chik4lit
Actually, Tolkien sort of looked down on the Chronicles of Narnia from what I've heard.

oakling
Well, I learned this vaguely at some point but I'd forgotten. It's always interesting to think about - part of literature's family tree!

exanda kane
C.S Lewis loved Middle Earth, but as Chik4lit says, the gesture wasn't neccesarily returned by Tolkien.

ragesRemorse
Probably because Tolkien had dyslexia and was unable to understand fluent writing. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.