Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

H. S. 6
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/867/867061p1.html

It was initially rumored to be called Spider-Man: Red vs. Black, but it's been officially announced now as Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

It seems New York City (possibly the world) is under attack by some as-yet-unnamed alien/force that is conveniently black, goopy, and, well, related to Spider-Man somehow. Symbiote, anyone?

The game will be free-roaming, with an increased focus on vertical fighting. Sounds badass. Not to mention the game seems to be taking on a grittier atmosphere, with NYC under martial law.

Spider-Man will be fighting with or against a number of characters from the Marvel Universe--you'll be able to choose how you want to play: everyone's favorite friendly neighborhood superhero or a darker anti-hero.

Well, it has the potential to be an awesome game. Hopefully it's better than the last two piles of sh*t that Spider-Man's been a part of (Friend or Foe, I'm looking at you).

Neo Darkhalen
It's always Symbiotes.

Still interesting.

Barker
Maybe looks kind of good.

Anyway I came to say hi to HS. .bus

Outbound
Looks better than other Spiderman games, but they're really milking it nowadays..

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Barker
Maybe looks kind of good.

Anyway I came to say hi to HS. .bus

Hello, good sir.

My day off: thought I'd stop by.

Originally posted by Outbound
Looks better than other Spiderman games, but they're really milking it nowadays..

Agreed, but if it's good, I won't mind fishing out my wallet for Mr. Corporation.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Hello, good sir.

My day off: thought I'd stop by.

Agreed, but if it's good, I won't mind fishing out my wallet for Mr. Corporation.

Oh yes Joe wants your money... but it still looks good.

ragesRemorse
as long as you are able to make choices which effect the environment and story, and the fighting system is actually playable and there are plenty of sub mission crimes to foil while the actual missions are fun and not tedious to play, this game may have a shot to be half as impressive as spiderman 2. I doubt any of this will be the case though. Im expecting a bigger, shinier spiderman 3 video game.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by DigiMark007
All depends on the control scheme and how well they pull off the swing mechanics. I'll hold my opinions until there's more.

When's the release date supposed to be?

thumb up

It's also a scathing indictment of the direction the comics have gone recently...basically back to 1960's "Holy Tight Situation Spider-Man! How will you EVER weasle your way out of this one? Hahaha!" The video games are at least in tune with modern sensibilities.

Smasandian
I read something about it in Joystiq and its like, "open ended free roaming gameplay"

I'm like, hmmmm havnt see that before.

But the art design of whatever was on that building looked interesting.

Neo Darkhalen
The fact that they keep using Symbiotes is another factor that is starting to get old, I like Venom, I like Scream, Agony and Lasher, I don't care about any other Symbiotes apart from them, and for some reason the symbiotes in the games are always weak and can be easily controlled by another villain, even Mysterio has had a crack at using Symbiotes, just like Doc Ock, still i guess they beat regular muggers.

Anyway i will be interested to see the line of villains (comic villains) that appear in the game and how they will be implemented within this rather desolate Spider-Man world, why do i have the suspicion that time travel will be involved at some point.

H. S. 6
thumb up

It's also a scathing indictment of the direction the comics have gone recently...basically back to 1960's "Holy Tight Situation Spider-Man! How will you EVER weasle your way out of this one? Hahaha!" The video games are at least in tune with modern sensibilities.

True.

And I heard the release is set for some time in the fall, I believe.

Yoshi Paradise
Well, I'll be waiting for some gameplay footage before I judge this game.

First_Tsurugi06
No time for wise cracks from Spidey now, it seems.

DigiMark007
Eh, despite realizing they're not flawless games, the movie-into-video game series has been pretty sweet if you're a Spidey fan. The swinging, city environments, and movement/controls for Pete himself have been excellent. Basically, if they keep most of that, it'll do fine.

Where they need to improve is writing, story, variance in mission types, objectives, and bad guys, making the game longer and possibly more difficult, etc.

Blax_Hydralisk
Agreed.

In SM2 I just swung around feckin' everywhere.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Agreed.

In SM2 I just swung around feckin' everywhere.

Agreed.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
No time for wise cracks from Spidey now, it seems.

Heh, he'll find time for wise cracks. He always does. That's what makes him cool. cool

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Smasandian
I read something about it in Joystiq and its like, "open ended free roaming gameplay"

i bet he can use his webbing to swing around the city in this one too

MadMel
ps3 only or not?

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by MadMel
ps3 only or not?

i think its coming out for every system possible, wii, ds, psp, ps2, ps3, xbox 360, pc? and cell phone?

Neo Darkhalen
I look forward to the 360, Wii and PS3 versions only.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
i think its coming out for every system possible, wii, ds, psp, ps2, ps3, xbox 360, pc? and cell phone?

i think thats a safe bet

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I look forward to the 360, Wii and PS3 versions only.

I look forward to the 360 version, and I may play the Wii version someday.

I miss the days when I prefered a nintendo over all other consoles... sad

blasted achievements ruined my fanboyishness. mad

Blax_Hydralisk
Same here, dude.

That, and competent internet gameplay. ermm

Kapton JAC
to true... to true... sad

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
I look forward to the 360 version, and I may play the Wii version someday.

I miss the days when I prefered a nintendo over all other consoles... sad

Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Same here, dude.

That, and competent internet gameplay. ermm

Agreed.

ragesRemorse

sucker laughing out loud stick out tongue

Arachnid1
This game looks pretty cool. Anyway, its going to have a crap load of characters, but so far, only Luke Cage, Wilson Fisk (Kingpin), and Nick Fury were confirmed. I think Venoms inclusion is also a safe bet.

Kapton JAC
beter be, so long as they stick to che comic version... hmm... I wonder if they'll use Eddie Brock or Mac Gargan? I doubt it'd be Angelo, since the symbiote abandoned him pretty quickly.

ESB -1138

It was initially rumored to be called Spider-Man: Red vs. Black, but it's been officially announced now as Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

It seems New York City (possibly the world) is under attack by some as-yet-unnamed alien/force that is conveniently black, goopy, and, well, related to Spider-Man somehow. Symbiote, anyone?

The game will be free-roaming, with an increased focus on vertical fighting. Sounds badass. Not to mention the game seems to be taking on a grittier atmosphere, with NYC under martial law.

Spider-Man will be fighting with or against a number of characters from the Marvel Universe--you'll be able to choose how you want to play: everyone's favorite friendly neighborhood superhero or a darker anti-hero.

Well, it has the potential to be an awesome game. Hopefully it's better than the last two piles of sh*t that Spider-Man's been a part of (Friend or Foe, I'm looking at you).

Oh great...not another crappy Spider...oh SPIDER-man. Sorry I was thinking about Superman. Awesome! Another Spider-man game!!

Kapton JAC

Isn't there a point in the Spider man comic series where symbiotes run amok or something... I read it on Wiki, haven't cross-refrenced it. Here's the line:

I usually don't use wikipedia as a definitive source, so I will be cross-refrenceing this.

Here's a picture:

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1107/mavng7.jpg

Kapton JAC
Isn't there a point in the Spider man comic series where symbiotes run amok or something... I read it on Wiki, haven't cross-refrenced it. Here's the line:

I usually don't use wikipedia as a definitive source, so I will be cross-refrenceing this.

Here's a picture:

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1107/mavng7.jpg

I'm wondering if they might inter-twine

H. S. 6

Hmm... might be. But that storyline was extremely recent, and if I'm not mistaken, incredibly short-lived. I don't know that they would have based an entire video game around it.

Beyond that, it was the Mighty Avengers that dealt with the outbreak, not Spider-Man (or the New Avengers).

ragesRemorse
mighty avengers suck

Menetnashté
This could be good. As long as it isn't like Spiderman 3. Hoping it'll be like the spiderman 1 and 2 on PS. Except sandboxed obviously.

DigiMark007

Kapton JAC
Odd comment. SM3 was basically SM2 with more variety in the mission types. For its time, I liked SM2 better because it got the swing mechanics almost perfectly. But otherwise, 3 was a better game in almost any conceivable way.

I never played the game because I absolutely hated the movie, but I enjoyed 1 and 2.

Estacado
Odd comment. SM3 was basically SM2 with more variety in the mission types. For its time, I liked SM2 better because it got the swing mechanics almost perfectly. But otherwise, 3 was a better game in almost any conceivable way.
More combos ,a new suit and a larger city.

Neo Darkhalen
SM3 was a frustrating game.

BlackC@
I want a new web-swinging system. It's so visually repetitive and not at all like the movie.

High Priest
Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!Xbox 360 sucks !!!!!!!!!!

MadMel
um.....ok erm

Kapton JAC
random and useless... Anyway, I, personally am excited to see the return of the classic Spider-man costume out side of comics. When I saw that I was like YES! THE TOBY MCGUIRE SPIDERMAN IS GONE!!!

H. S. 6
Some new screenshots for the game:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/spidermanwebofshadows/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;img;1

Spidey in the Symbiote costume. Vulture. And some Goblin-esque baddies. Interesting...

Yoshi Paradise
Those are some interesting pictures.

happy I can't wait to see some gameplay footage.

Raoul
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35351.html

this looks AWESOME.

alternate link: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php

Neo Darkhalen
This game does indeed look awesome, i can't wait for it to be released.

DigiMark007
Holy god. Thank goodness my favorite character has great video games. I can't imagine what I'd do if I liked, say, Superman...raoul.

stick out tongue

That trailer is tight, btw.

Yoshi Paradise
Originally posted by Raoul

this looks AWESOME.

Dang, that's a good video.

I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Neo Darkhalen
Holy god. Thank goodness my favorite character has great video games. I can't imagine what I'd do if I liked, say, Superman...raoul
haermm

Raoul
Holy god. Thank goodness my favorite character has great video games. I can't imagine what I'd do if I liked, say, Superman...raoul.

stick out tongue

That trailer is tight, btw.

my favourite character has good games, they're called xml and mua... stick out tongue

and the justice league game wasn't that bad...

etc etc...

DigiMark007
my favourite character has good games, they're called xml and mua... stick out tongue

and the justice league game wasn't that bad...

etc etc...

*yawn*

Team games. roll eyes (sarcastic) ...let me know when Cyclops cuts a solo album. Then we'll talk.

wink

Raoul
*yawn*

Team games. roll eyes (sarcastic) ...let me know when Cyclops cuts a solo album. Then we'll talk.

wink

meh. when i play mua i just have cyclops on my team at times, literally by himself...

DigiMark007
meh. when i play mua i just have cyclops on my team at times, literally by himself...

...then he fondles the screen and whispers to it in his best Emma Frost impersonation, folks. It's true. I've seen it. PM me for pics.

biscuits

H. S. 6

this looks AWESOME.

Badass.

Raoul
...then he fondles the screen and whispers to it in his best Emma Frost impersonation, folks. It's true. I've seen it. PM me for pics.

biscuits

laughing

MadMel
sweet video
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37823.html
cant wait !!
also this
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36701.html

Neo Darkhalen
Nice, the game draws closer.

Nemesis X
Are there any pics of Venom in Web of Shadows?

Neo Darkhalen
Only one pic i have seen and that comes from the box art, but that may not be venom.

DigiMark007
ZOMGZ MOAR SCREENSHOTZ!

...the game needs to come out. I can only get so hyped before I curtail myself so that my expectations don't exceed the product.

MadMel
i love what they've done with the combat big grin

DX5
Visuals in spidey games look decent enough, though pale to those of games made by Namco for example, especially the buildings which look unfinished and plain.

However the combat does look very interesting and worth it.

MadMel
i wonder if they'll release a demo erm

Estacado
So is anyone still looking forward to this?

Neo Darkhalen
I am looking forward to it, it looks amazing the combat seems refined and well Venom's the main villain, looking good so far...i hope Venom's other children make an appearance but i doubt it.

Other then that...yay for symbiote fever and madness.

Yoshi Paradise
Originally posted by Estacado
So is anyone still looking forward to this?

Of course. I'm just waiting until it's released so I can buy it.

Neo Darkhalen
It's been released today.

MadMel
bout time erm

Estacado
Anyone played it yet?
I can't get my copy till Monday....sad

Menetnashté
No but I'd like to see how it compares to Fable 2

jalek moye
i'm gonna buy it friday

i wonder if i'll like it more then fable or not

Magee

Menetnashté

Magee

Scythe
I recieved it a day before it came out and if it helps I've been asked my opinion on the game overal, and this is what I said.

Originally posted by Scythe
I'm enjoying it. I never expect superb greatness from a comic book game because nothing can ever catch what the comics convey. I thought it was a a good try, but I like the visuals over any other spidey game. The controls are kinda clunky, and sometimes I'm like: ".....what?!" But me being a spidey fan keeps this game up there for me, so yeah, I'm glad I bought it.

I like it. Like it alot. Comics Spider-Man, he's just so bad ass. Black suited Spidey seems to decimate, and the mid-air battles are like, 'oh shit son!' It's not a perfect game, and it's not long, but it pleases me much more than Ultimate Spider-Man. The inclusion of Wolverine is awesome too, every time he's onscreen he does something cool.

You feel very epic fighting bad guys so fast, time has to slow down just to let you see what you're doing. There's an entire skyscraper fight that takes place on the side of a skyscraper, you have to defeat the bad venoms and make it to the top. Playing it on hard, and it's freakin' awesome.

I bought the game for twenty bucks for PS3 with my awesome hook-up. I wouldn't pay an entire $59.99 plus tax for it, seems to much to me, but it is very cool.

THE JLRTENJAC
How long would you say it is?

Menetnashté
I recieved it a day before it came out and if it helps I've been asked my opinion on the game overal, and this is what I said.
Thanks for your input scythe looks like a rental for me.

Nemesis X
Should I buy Web of Shadows first or should I buy Fable 2 first?

Neo Darkhalen
I have to ask Scythe, the final boss (final form Venom) on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, and 1 being the easiest, how hard is he?

Scythe
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
How long would you say it is? 4-5 hours, at least for me, I took a long time to get anywhere since I have a very busy schedule.

Scythe
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Should I buy Web of Shadows first or should I buy Fable 2 first? Fable 2

Menetnashté
Should I buy Web of Shadows first or should I buy Fable 2 first?
I'm going Fable 2

Scythe
I have to ask Scythe, the final boss (final form Venom) on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, and 1 being the easiest, how hard is he? My first play through was on hard, and he's about a 7 or 8. Not the hardest boss ever.

Scythe

Nemesis X
When you can now finally decide whether Spidey should be good or evil, will there be a situation in the game where you can decide if you should save Mary Jane or not? I for one wouldn't save MJ. Have fun gettin eaten by the zombie symbiotes evil face

Menetnashté
Sorry if it wasn't too helpful, I'm here should anyone need anything answered I'm glad to be of any help. In my opinion it is a very good rental.
Actually it was very helpful I was debating what to do.

Scythe

Scythe
My favorite part of the game so far. Choosing to save Wolverine as black suited spidey. He rips him in half and leaves him to die, hahaha! Wolverine sez: "I'll kill you for this...." Not the best plot device, but it made me laugh and I thought it was pretty cool.

MadMel
can anyone give their opinions on the wii and pc versions of this game?

jalek moye
why doesn black cat not lift his mask when she kisses him

MadMel
*cough*spoilertags*cough*

Neo Darkhalen
*cough*spoilertags*cough*

trust me that's ok, doesn't give anything away and it was shown in the trailers...however When a symbiote bonds with Black cat, yeah now that would be a spoiler! stick out tongue

Menetnashté
trust me that's ok, doesn't give anything away and it was shown in the trailers...however When a symbiote bonds with Black cat, yeah now that would be a spoiler! stick out tongue
that was in the trailer as well...

Nemesis X
Is it really true that you can fight giant symbiote monsters? Right before the commercial for WoS was over, I could've sworn that I saw a giant three headed Venom.

Scythe
Is it really true that you can fight giant symbiote monsters? Right before the commercial for WoS was over, I could've sworn that I saw a giant three headed Venom. That's sort of a Final boss sort of thing, you have to play the game, giant three headed symbiotes aren't exactly run of the mill bad guys like the symbiote infected, however you do get to fight one.

Neo Darkhalen

ragesRemorse
I had to send this game back to gamefly after two hours. The Story was fuking stupid and the combat is ultra repetitive and the missions are more monotonous than they were in spiderman 3 but the voice casting was the worst. Spiderman sounded like a child. I couldn't deal with that, eww

Scythe
I thought that was the final boss mmm Ya have to play it, hahaha. I enjoyed the final boss quite a bit.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I had to send this game back to gamefly after two hours. The Story was fuking stupid and the combat is ultra repetitive and the missions are more monotonous than they were in spiderman 3 but the voice casting was the worst. Spiderman sounded like a child. I couldn't deal with that, eww These are all valid flaws I, as well as many others found in the game. What's keeping this game up for me, is that I'm a big spidey fan. Not enough to make a piece of crap game my favorite, dear crap no, but enough to not deem it a complete failure. It's a very good try that I actually enjoyed playing.

Nemesis X
So Remorse, are you sayin that Web of Shadows is a piece of crap game that isn't worth blowing $60 on?

Scythe
So Remorse, are you sayin that Web of Shadows is a piece of crap game that isn't worth blowing $60 on? I know you were directing your question at Remorse, but I hope you don't mind adding my opinion to this. I think the idea of this game being a piece of crap is all one's opinion, I wouldn't say it is, however it is not worth the expensive $60 price tag every damn PS3 game has. If you feel like you really want to play it, I'd suggest a good rent or wait till it's in the bargain bin.

ragesRemorse
So Remorse, are you sayin that Web of Shadows is a piece of crap game that isn't worth blowing $60 on?

no, you completely mis-interrupted me

MadMel
miss-interrupted?

Estacado
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
combat is ultra repetitive
no expression
Yeah ,try that after geting atleast 50% of the upgrades for both suits....

ragesRemorse
miss-interrupted?

erm

miss-interpreted

Better?

Maybe, i should get on me knee's and top you off just to make sure. stick out tongue

Magee
Combat is a bit boring at the start but once you get through some upgrades it really goes from being repetitive to quite diverse especially if you like to switch between the two suits. Really this game is great, it's like spider-man 2/3 with a much better combat system, graphics, story and well pretty much every thing. If you liked the movie games then I can't see why you wouldn't love this game.

Yoshi Paradise
I might rent this game since I still want to play it.
miss-interrupted?

Obviously, he meant "misinterpreted".

jalek moye
I just got it last night. I love it it is almost the perfect spider man game. I give it an 8

Scythe
As far as Spidey games, yes, best one yet.

jalek moye
were you black suit or red suit most of the time. I mean in play not choices.

I was red it felt like spiderman , black was like some freaky alien move set.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by jalek moye

I was red it felt like spiderman , black was like some freaky alien move set.

Perhaps because a symbiote is a "freaky alien" as you so put it. mmm

jalek moye
I know thats why i described it like that

Scythe
Originally posted by jalek moye

I was red it felt like spiderman , black was like some freaky alien move set. I tried to be either one 100% of the time. My first playthrough, I did 100% black suit, never had the need to go red at all.

Now I'm in my second playthrough and I'm resorting to going black suit like when those big ass Kingpin robots attack, I have to throw cars at them. Also the black suits cement-grind is so overpowered, I love it!

Magee
I only started to use the black suit half way through and I still don't use it much, no need for it.

jalek moye
i dont really like black suits melee.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.