Del Toro Confirmed For The Hobbit!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22440

Exciting.

MildPossession
It's been 'unofficial' but more or less happening for sometime, but glad to hear it is finally official, can not wait!!!!

=Tired Hiker=
Titz on Ritz!!!

BackFire
I thought it was official already.

Oh well. Neat.

MildPossession
It's funny how he looks a bit like Jackson in that photo.

BruceSkywalker
Loved the LOTR movies. Del Toro will do The Hobbit justice I fervently believe that

exanda kane
Well it was 'unofficially' happening before, but Del Toro's schedule - usually distributed by Universal, who were unhappy with him doing a Warner Bros venture - and legal trouble with the Tolkien Estate put things in the shitter. There hadn't been anyword on it for a few months until this was confirmed. I'm just glad Raimi's not involved.

=Tired Hiker=
I'm glad Raimi is not involved as well, and I hope Jackson doesn't try to get his paws all over everything. I think they should help Del Toro out at Del Toro's request and not try to control everything.

Toku King
Del Toro's perfect for something as out there and magically grim as the Hobbit.

exanda kane
If the Del Toro/Jackson partnership works well - which feels like it should - then I'm incredibly optimistic.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Toku King
Del Toro's perfect for something as out there and magically grim as the Hobbit.

Out there and magically grim? Have you read The Hobbit?

Röland
This is awesome news!

Another Del Toro movie that I am looking forward to is HP Lovecraft's story At the Mountains of Madness.

Impediment
Is Jackson going to write the screenplay? I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that he was going to.

exanda kane
It's 'expected' to be Jackson, Walsh and those on the writing team for the trilogy. Be nice if they did, especially after having to juggle so many things with the trilogy, they deserve a job. Just a rumour though.

Toku King
Originally posted by exanda kane
Out there and magically grim? Have you read The Hobbit?

Yes. roll eyes (sarcastic)

exanda kane
Let me repeat the question because I don't think you understood it; have you even read The Hobbit?

Robtard
Jackson should be doing this, he did an excellent job with the Trilogy. Not saying Del Toro can't do it well, but why mess with a good thing.

Robtard

papabeard

Röland
Originally posted by Robtard
That should be great. Really good book.
One of my favorite books.
Originally posted by papabeard
Me too brother, more than The Hobbit.
Same here, but I still can't wait for The Hobbit after hearing Del Toro is finally confirmed.

Impediment
How many movies will The Hobbit be? I keep hearing 3, but, in my opinion, it ought to be 2 movies.

Röland
I personally hope it's 3 movies.

Toku King
Let me repeat the question because I don't think you understood it; have you even read The Hobbit?

YES roll eyes (sarcastic)

exanda kane
Then it what way is it "out there" or "magically grim"? Or did you get a Crocodile in Expression?

MildPossession
So far it's officially 2 films isn't it?

swampgremlin
cant wait

exanda kane
So far, there is one film in the works for the Hobbit and one film also happening (for a release date of 2011-2 fingers crossed) that will bridge the gap between the Hobbit and the War of the West-Country Farmers Association. The fact that people here are mentioning 3 or 4 films I haven't heard, but I'm well up for it.

The last book released by Tolkien (published posthumously obviously) was touted by the Tolkien Estate as a good candidate for adaptation last year, but really, all stoppers would have to be out to make a good film; the book was poor and drab.

MildPossession
rumored word that Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are on board -- "all bureaucracy pending."

Del Toro plans to use Peter Jackson's films "as canon," but there will be changes afoot. As Eugene noted earlier, there will be a different color palette for the world of the hobbits, and instead of inundating us with a film full of stunning CGI, Guillermo is anxious to make a lot more use of animatronics.

Will this change only be subtle, or will it look like an entirely new film that only has a few familiar faces? It's certainly possible to make a film that visually fits -- each Harry Potter director has added touches to their films to make them stand out while still creating a cohesive series. However, we've got to keep in mind that the seas haven't been smooth where Peter Jackson and this fantasy world is concerned. Eric Kohn brought up the "smells of George Lucas" thoughts in his post, and you have to wonder if Guillermo will be free to build his world in peace, and if behind-the-scenes issues could tarnish this whole affair.

Found that. I adore the bit about more animatronics.

exanda kane

ScarletSpeed
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22440

Exciting.

when you said Del Toro, I thought you meant Benicio laughing out loud I was like wtf confusedlaughing out loud

exanda kane
More news on the production side. Howard Shore composed the score for the trilogy, obviously, and Alan Lee was the main artist Tolkien endorsed to illustrate his work before his death. Both Lee and John Howe worked on the conceptual design for the film. I'm at a loss as to who the others are however. Still, good to know, though not-unexpected that Del Toro is keeping the team used for the trilogy.

In an interview with The One Ring, del Toro said that "in the last few weeks I've been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I'm meeting Alan Lee. I'm doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films."

ragesRemorse
Hearing that he wants to use practical locations instead of CGI makes me very interested

exanda kane

=Tired Hiker=
Damn, I can't wait.

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Damn, I can't wait.

You clearly have an unhealthy fetish for Hobbits.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Robtard
You clearly have an unhealthy fetish for Hobbits.
So many Hobbits, so little time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.