Prince of Persia 4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Kaliero
So, the same team that brought us the perfection of Sands of Time and the visual beauty of Assassin's Creed, has promised us the next two chapters of the PoP story this very year.

I for one am very interested in this "illustrative art style". If it's like Okami, with a Persian twist (and, y'know, more detailed textures) I will be in love with this game from the first screens.

The official site has been updated, featuring some sort of black goo oozing around and then engulfing what I assume to be an Arabic word/phrase. Jordan Mechner also recently registered the trademark for "Prince of Persia Prodigy," but no word on if that's the name of the new game.

exanda kane
I really bloody enjoy this franchise - don't shoot, I only played the Sands of Time trilogy, because it was a freebie - yet I'm suprised that they have got a release for it this year. I would have expected a tie-in for the Bruckheimer film, but maybe that'll happen too.

Smasandian
They're releasing a new PoP game in the fall?

And nobody has knew about it till today?

I really liked the first, havnt played the last two, but I'm kinda of worried this might be shit because it seems pretty damn fast.

I guess will see.

But I wont be surprised this will be delayed.

Peach
Well, it's been no secret for...at least a good year now that there was another PoP game in the works.

Neo Darkhalen
I am all for the POP games and I enjoyed them, but now I don't know i hope it is more puzzle based like SOT a nice blend of puzzle and action, i hope they try something new as well.

General Kaliero
As long as they keep the speed kills as an alternative to combat, I will be happy.

Morridini
Originally posted by Smasandian
They're releasing a new PoP game in the fall?

And nobody has knew about it till today?

Originally posted by Peach
Well, it's been no secret for...at least a good year now that there was another PoP game in the works.

Darn, Lana sbeat me to it.

Seems like I have to hurry and finish Sands of Time and the two sequels before the Fall.... how am I gonna squeeze that in between all the other stuff?

exanda kane
I apoligise profusely in advance.

Originally posted by Morridini
Seems like I have to hurry and finish Sands of Time and the two sequels before the Fall.... how am I gonna squeeze that in between all the other stuff?

Use the Dagger of Time.

Morridini
There's not enough sand here to refill it.

Smasandian

I guess I didnt notice anything.

Ah well.

I assumed it will be a good game considering the last 3 have. I was just taken back by surprise of the release date.

Captain REX
I still need to play through and finish Sands of Time. I plan on buying up the trilogy for when I head off to college. I'm not taking my Wii from my brother (freshmen in high school), so I've got my trusty old Gamecube and my N64 to look forward to.

Kapton JAC
From what I have heard, it's gonna have nothing to do with the sands of time. It's a new prince... new everything. I just wonder what the story is going to be about?

First_Tsurugi06
I noticed a piece of artwork online (in a youtube video) that shows the Prince descending from a wall by hanging onto it with some sort of a gauntlet. I saw in another piece of artwork the new Prince with the gauntlet being held directly in front of his face.

Obviously, there's gonna be something to do with that gauntlet on his hands. Possibly an equivalent to the Dagger of Time in the SoT trilogy.

Anyway, I loved the SoT trilogy, and I milked the games for everything they're worth. I hope to come to love this new approach the series as well, and I don't doubt I will.

Peach
There's a feature article about it in the new Game Informer magazine. It looks awesome.

I think the gauntlet is just going to be a weapon; there's going to be a girl named Elika that he meets and from what I can tell, will possibly be able to fill a similar purpose as the Dagger, in terms of rewinding/changing things.

Morridini
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
I noticed a piece of artwork online

That reminded me, since people seem to read this thread for PoP 4 news instead of the PoP thread, I'll post it here too:

Here's the first look at the new Prince: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33651.html?type=mov
Just a sketch, but still looking cool.

@st
There's a feature article about it in the new Game Informer magazine. It looks awesome.

I think the gauntlet is just going to be a weapon; there's going to be a girl named Elika that he meets and from what I can tell, will possibly be able to fill a similar purpose as the Dagger, in terms of rewinding/changing things.

Her artwork reminded me very much of Natalie Portman. lol

Morridini
Debut trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34503.html

Didn't reveal much, but it did look nice.

General Kaliero
Debut trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34503.html

Didn't reveal much, but it did look nice.
I think it revealed a little if you looked in the right place.

For example, Elika seems to be involved not only in puzzle solving, but also combat, perhaps using carefully timed button presses for combo attacks.

First_Tsurugi06
That trailer is just killer. It's reminding me more and more of how big a fan I actually am of the franchise. "Holiday 2008" cannot come soon enough (not that 2009 can either).

Morridini
New big interview with lots of info.
Parti 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34581.html
Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34604.html

Could anyone tell me what they mean with Holliday season?
Christmas?

Peach
Holiday season means most likely around November (almost nothing actually comes out in December, all the holiday games are out by mid-November for the most part).

I can't wait for this game to come out...big grin

General Kaliero
New big interview with lots of info.
Parti 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34581.html
Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34604.html

Could anyone tell me what they mean with Holliday season?
Christmas?
The "Holiday season" is typically the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's the busiest time of the year, retail-wise, so it's considered an excellent time to release games.

As for the interview, the art style looks beautiful, I'm intrigued by the story, the evolution of the acrobatics will likely have me dancing with glee, and I may even like the combat. Things are looking good all around.

Kazenji
Da **** ??

are they remaking sands of time now.........sorry thats what i got from the title of this thead.

Morridini
They are making a new Prince of Persia game, that's all. As Sands of Time was independent of Prince of Persia, so is this one independant of Prince of Persia and Sands of Time.

Kazenji
So a whole new trilogy pretty much.

General Kaliero
Like they said in the interview, it's not the Prince of Persia, it's a Prince of Persia. Many different, with many fantastic stories to tell.

Kazenji
The only reason i said what i said before

was because it would'nt the 4th game it would be in fact the 7th game.

Morridini
Yeah your completely right about that. I tried posting stuff in the Prince of Persia thread, you know a general title, but noone ever seemed to pay attention to it.

Peach
Well, it's the 4th modern PoP game made, which is why it's been referred to as PoP 4.

Kazenji
So yea its a brand new trilogy pretty much

Because the original trilogy was these 3

and then the sands of time one

Peach
Yeah, we know that already.

Aaaaanyway, this popped up in our computers at work today for reserves with a release date of November 19th.

Rascaduanok

MadMel
not that i dont trust you, but where are you getting this info??

Morridini

General Kaliero
He just said; EDGE Magazine. ermm

Morridini
Silly EDGE keeping that kinda things to themselves.

Peach
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36271.html

Posting this in the right thread...stick out tongue

Morridini
Well is it the right thread?
We have a general thread for PoP, and this one is for a number 4, which this new one isn't at all :P It's either number 7 or eight or somesuch, or simply Prince of Persia (can add Next-Gen) if one would like.

Just some nitpicking, game still looks good regardless of which thread it's in....or does it?

General Kaliero
Morridini, stop be annoying. The one currently being worked on is the fourth since the revival of the series, so it gets labelled as PoP4 until we have a subtitle, for ease of discussion.

Anyway. The new in-game stuff looks completely amazing. I am fully devoted to the new art style, and the new combat system looks wonderful. I've always loved reactive fighting; it looks brilliant and there's a great thrill in pulling it off.

Considering Elika appears integral to both fighting and puzzling, about the only thing that could make me happier is announcing online co-op.

Peach
Well is it the right thread?
We have a general thread for PoP, and this one is for a number 4, which this new one isn't at all :P It's either number 7 or eight or somesuch, or simply Prince of Persia (can add Next-Gen) if one would like.

Just some nitpicking, game still looks good regardless of which thread it's in....or does it?

Yes, this is the right thread for anything involving the new game. As General Kaliero said, and as I explained earlier in this thread, it is being referred to as PoP4 until a title is announced as it is the fourth of the modern PoP games.

Really not that difficult.

Anyway, I agree the combat looks awesome, and I'm really loving the look of Elika and what she can do, from the little bits we've seen big grin

Rewmac
I like that they actually changed the whole concept and design for PoP 4,. I hope it's gonna come sooner than November big grin Can't wait. But I have one thing to ask, why do they need a music in the gameplay trailer that is so sad and melodramatic that I could cut myself open when listening.

MadMel
im loving whats been shown so far big grin

First_Tsurugi06
The new "Prince's" voice sounds a bit like the guy who played Nathan Drake from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Nolan North is his name, and in my opinion, he's a top-tier voice actor. Of course, the demo only had the Prince speak like, two times, so I'm not entirely sure.

WrathfulDwarf
This is not news for the upcoming game but a critique on the franchise from Croshaw:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/183-Prince-of-Persia-Retrospective

I really enjoy his take on the PoP games post-sands of time. I have a feeling that the fourth installment has the potential to become a great game. But Ubisoft must blend all the ideas of the previous games into the upcoming game. We'll see how it goes..

Morridini
Ooooooh, Zero Punctuation + PoP = awesomeness, can't wait to see it.

Seen it, great episode, still liek all his Portal=Perfection references.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.