Who should play Bilbo in Del Toro's The Hobbit movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

=Tired Hiker=
Well, with all the new hype going around now that Del Toro has been confirmed on taking on The Hobbit, I'm pretty excited to see these films. I was wandering who do you think should play Bilbo? I'm not sure I like the idea of Elijah Wood playing the part since I associate him so much as Frodo, I think it would be too much of a distraction. Nor, because of his age, would I want Ian Holmes to play the part. I'm not sure who would fit. What do you folks think?

Epic Fail Guy
Wow. Del Toro has been CONFIRMED as director? How is that possible? Have all the legal battles been conquered?

No matter. If they get anyone other than Ian Holm to play Bilbo, I certainly won't see the film.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Epic Fail Guy
Wow. Del Toro has been CONFIRMED as director? How is that possible? Have all the legal battles been conquered?

No matter. If they get anyone other than Ian Holm to play Bilbo, I certainly won't see the film.

Yeah, it's been confirmed. It's actually old news by now. It's all over the Movie Discussion Thread.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=482694&pagenumber=1

So far only Andy Serkis and Ian McClellan have signed on, so it's up in the air if Holm will be in it or not. I'd see it either way.

Epic Fail Guy
Meh. I probably would too. But I'd definitely be wary of it. I already am, now that Del Toro is directing. Not that he's not an excellent director....I'm just not sure he is best for Tolkien. I was rather hoping it wasn't going to be filmed at all, I must say.

exanda kane
I would go with either James McAvoy or Martin Freeman.

While McAvoy looks less light a young Ian Holm, he is an amazing talent, and from what I've heard a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy film. He would suit the role really well, and could help carry a tentpole product in the same way Elijah Wood did. he is also British.

Freeman is less of a great actor, but he looks a dead look alike of a young Ian Holm. He could pull it off certainly.

And yes, it's been confirmed, all the pre-production team from the trilogy are coming back (fingers crossed, Del Toro has approached them). I'm incredibly excited by the news of Del Toro. I think, like Jackson, that Del Toro is a director who just gets Tolkien, who is as much a fan as anybody else.

Least Sam Raimi's not involved.

A.D. Skinner
It is hard to say, even though all that have see the first three films associate Ian Holm with Bilbo, casting someone else in that role would be a difference of opinion.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Epic Fail Guy
Meh. I probably would too. But I'd definitely be wary of it. I already am, now that Del Toro is directing. Not that he's not an excellent director....I'm just not sure he is best for Tolkien. I was rather hoping it wasn't going to be filmed at all, I must say. Hence, your username? big grin

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by exanda kane
I would go with either James McAvoy or Martin Freeman.

While McAvoy looks less light a young Ian Holm, he is an amazing talent, and from what I've heard a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy film. He would suit the role really well, and could help carry a tentpole product in the same way Elijah Wood did. he is also British.

Freeman is less of a great actor, but he looks a dead look alike of a young Ian Holm. He could pull it off certainly.

And yes, it's been confirmed, all the pre-production team from the trilogy are coming back (fingers crossed, Del Toro has approached them). I'm incredibly excited by the news of Del Toro. I think, like Jackson, that Del Toro is a director who just gets Tolkien, who is as much a fan as anybody else.

Least Sam Raimi's not involved.

Man, those are two great choices, McAvoy or Freeman! I think both are brilliant. Did you come up with that yourself? If so, you should be a casting director. I also agree with you on Raimi not being involved.

I guess I like the choice of McAvoy the best since he does resemble a bit of Ian Holm as well as Elijah Wood's Frodo.

Epic Fail Guy
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Hence, your username? big grin

LOL wut.

stick out tongue

No, that was an inside joke.
BTW: Yes, I too am at least glad Sam Raimi's not involved.

BetrayedUnicorn
I kinda wish peter jackson would film it also...he did such a good job with LOTR. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_del_Toro-del toro is also making a lotr prequel in 2012.

exanda kane
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Man, those are two great choices, McAvoy or Freeman! I think both are brilliant. Did you come up with that yourself? If so, you should be a casting director. I also agree with you on Raimi not being involved.

I guess I like the choice of McAvoy the best since he does resemble a bit of Ian Holm as well as Elijah Wood's Frodo.

No, it was floating around the boards or office I think. Still, McAvoy is the choice for me. He is a big sci-fi/fantasy fan too.

CPT Space Bomb
They should work their butts off to get Ian Holm in my opinion. Seeing as how they used him in what, oh.. just all three films?

Besides, if they had to they could make him look younger like they did to Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart in X-3. (though, that probably costs alot to do)

clarkbullen
Peter Jackson said that he would not mind using an unknown to play Bilbo because Tolkien is the "Real" star, I agree. He also said they would be casting a "wide net" for the part of Bilbo. I hope that is indeed the case as I am an actor who would love the chance to audition for the part of a lifetime!

Robtard
Gonna be Shia Lebeouf.

Blinky
Originally posted by Robtard
Gonna be Shia Lebeouf.

You're f*cking kidding... right? That'd be sacrilege.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I say, based on looks : give Danny Devito a big-ass curly-top wig and you got your Bilbo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.