Favorite captain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo Darkhalen
Who is your favorite captain and why, this is sure to spark some debate, but everyone has different tastes.

Troop
The woman or Prof X.

I don't remember names, its been a while.

WrathfulDwarf
Kirk for me takes 1st place.

In 2nd place it's Sisko

I never liked Captain Janeway.

Neo Darkhalen
Kirk will always be my favorite.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Who is your favorite captain and why, this is sure to spark some debate, but everyone has different tastes.

My favorite captain Jean-Luc Picard. Even though I grew up on Kirk, Picard to me always seemed what Roddenberry always envisioned. Also Picard had that swagger to him.

=Tired Hiker=
Kirk, then Jean-Luc Picard. The other captains I am not too familiar with since I'm not a total Star Trek junky.

Impediment
Picard has always been my favorite because, to be honest, the only reason I like Star Trek is because I first discovered it by watching "The Next Generation" when I was about 10 years old. After that, I began to like the original series.

Badabing
Ripped shirt Kirk pwns.
http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200303/tos-002-kirk-faces-off-with-th/320x240.jpg

TricksterPriest
Picard, hands down. None of the others had to deal with Q. stick out tongue

Sisko wasn't as good as Kirk at first, but after the first season, he really came into his own. He got better as the show progressed.

Badabing
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Picard, hands down. None of the others had to deal with Q. stick out tongue

Pfft, Kirk would pimp slap Q and take his powers.....Wait, that would be a downgrade for Kirk! uhuh

Symmetric Chaos
Picard by a mile.

Diplomat
Lover
Fighter
Intellectual
Scholar
Actor
Musician

Competition is simply impossible, IMO, even if Kirk's appeal as the original is taken into account.

Badabing
Kirk ftw. uhuh

http://www.visi.com/~heyyousir/kirk.htm

http://www.thecaptainkirkpage.com/krkbest.html

Here's a fun Kirk vs Picard game. stick out tongue

http://www.idleworm.com/sfi/strek.shtml

Creshosk
The only question that I thought was hard
Was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?

illadelph12
Picard. Has the strengths of all the other captains and then some. He was the Captain of the flagship for a reason.

Sisko and Kirk are a close second. Never cared for Janeway (the actress's portrayal moreso than the actual character. They should have casted a different actor. After watching her in Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins I couldn't take her seriously). Never got into the Enterprise series.

Badabing
Originally posted by illadelph12
Picard. Has the strengths of all the other captains and then some. He was the Captain of the flagship for a reason.

Sisko and Kirk are a close second. Never cared for Janeway (the actress's portrayal moreso than the actual character. They should have casted a different actor. After watching her in Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins I couldn't take her seriously). Never got into the Enterprise series. Linda Hamilton auditioned for the role of Janeway.

illadelph12
They should have casted Jodie Foster for the part.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Badabing
Linda Hamilton auditioned for the role of Janeway.

Genevieve Bujold originally had the role of Janeway, but backed out. Later the role offered to Kate Mulgrew.

Sisko was pretty good. Archer sucked badly.

TricksterPriest
to be blunt, almost everything in 'Enterprise' sucked. stick out tongue

Troop
Theres your favorite, then theres the best and no one can doubt that Kirk wasn't the best.

Syren
Jean-Luc Picard, definitely. Intelligent, wise, moral. I developed quite a crush laughing out loud

Was Patrick Stewart initially considered for the role of Data?

starlock
Kirk
Janeway
Sisko
Picard

Thats the order for me,

Bardock42
I actually liked Archer, he was cool.

I also liked Enterprise.

Raoul
my order:

Kirk
Sisko
Picard
Archer

Janeway

stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
Hi five.

Raoul
Hi five.

woot

Syren
Originally posted by Syren
Jean-Luc Picard, definitely. Intelligent, wise, moral. I developed quite a crush laughing out loud

Was Patrick Stewart initially considered for the role of Data?

No one answers my queries, ever cry

Acrosurge
I guess if I had to pick a favorite captain, I would choose Picard, but that is mainly because Patrick Stewart is such an incredible actor.

I like all the captains, really, though I admit that Archer is in a lower tier than the others, but again, that is because of the acting (and possibly, the writing and directing).

No one answers my queries, ever cry I dunno. I've never heard that, before!

Neo Darkhalen
Not to my knowlege Syren.

Raoul
i'd never heard that either... i do know the guy who played the traveller originally went for the role of data, tho...

BruceSkywalker
Even when Jolene Blalock was semi nude?

Sorry Syren, I've never heard that before

illadelph12
I'd love to see a Star Trek series with Angela Bassett as a captain. She'd have been a great Janeway.

Raoul
Originally posted by illadelph12
I'd love to see a Star Trek series with Angela Bassett as a captain. She'd have been a great Janeway.

she might have been...

Syren
I gotta look it up...

Edit.

Aha! Can't say how reliable it is as it's from Wikipedia but I knew I must have seen it somewhere before yes

Patrick Stewart, a Shakespearean actor, was at first considered for the role of Data. Roddenberry's first choice for Picard was Stephen Macht, and it took "weeks of discussion" with Robert H. Justman to convince Roddenberry that "Stewart was the one they had been looking for to sit in the captain's chair."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Luc_Picard

DethRose
I like Captain Kirk because he s the original.

BruceSkywalker
Janeway in my opinion was a horrible captain. She could have been better.

Badabing
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Janeway in my opinion was a horrible captain. She could have been better. I think it was her voice.

Raoul
I gotta look it up...

Edit.

Aha! Can't say how reliable it is as it's from Wikipedia but I knew I must have seen it somewhere before yes

Patrick Stewart, a Shakespearean actor, was at first considered for the role of Data. Roddenberry's first choice for Picard was Stephen Macht, and it took "weeks of discussion" with Robert H. Justman to convince Roddenberry that "Stewart was the one they had been looking for to sit in the captain's chair."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Luc_Picard

ah, cool...

Mr Parker
Kirk cause star trek the original series rulz.

starlock
Janeway in my opinion was a horrible captain. She could have been better.

See thats what makes this world great, i think she was one of the best almost on par with Kirk. wink

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by DethRose
I like Captain Kirk because he s the original.

Technically Archer is the original.

Raoul
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

heresy. stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos
crazy

Raoul
archer wasn't bad tho, in all honesty... i prefer him to janeway...

BruceSkywalker

I kept on seeing Quantum Leap everytime Archer came on the screen. He was horrible to

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Raoul
archer wasn't bad tho, in all honesty... i prefer him to janeway...

Oh, hell yeah.

I have never understood why they kept putting her in sexual situations. *shudder* Not to mention that she wasn't really much of a leader compared to every other captain.

Acrosurge
archer wasn't bad tho, in all honesty... i prefer him to janeway... I dunno; Archer seemed as flat as a piece of cardboard to me. Sure, Janeway started out as a cutout a feminist captain, but as time went by she developed a matriarchal air about her. She was the highest authority on her ship, but still cared about keeping the crew as family. She became willing to do anything to insure that her crew would survive. Obviously, she wasn't as physically imposing as Sisko or Kirk, but she'd get angry as a hornet if anyone messed with her crew.

Raoul
Oh, hell yeah.

I have never understood why they kept putting her in sexual situations. *shudder* Not to mention that she wasn't really much of a leader compared to every other captain.

amen to that...

Originally posted by Acrosurge
I dunno; Archer seemed as flat as a piece of cardboard to me. Sure, Janeway started out as a cutout a feminist captain, but as time went by she developed a matriarchal air about her. She was the highest authority on her ship, but still cared about keeping the crew as family. She became willing to do anything to insure that her crew would survive. Obviously, she wasn't as physically imposing as Sisko or Kirk, but she'd get angry as a hornet if anyone messed with her crew.

that would be the same of any captain though... janeway, imo, might have been a good community leader, but she was a bad starfleet captain...

Acrosurge
amen to that...

that would be the same of any captain though... janeway, imo, might have been a good community leader, but she was a bad starfleet captain... I agree, though I will add that Janeway had special circumstances that set her apart from other captains.

1) She had a tiny crew. Every death jeopardized the possibility that the rest could return to Earth.

2) She had no support from Starfleet, the UFP, or the Vulcans. Generally, she could only count on herself and her crew. No other Starfleet captain has regularly had to deal with such a challenge. Not even Archer.

That being the case, I would say that Janeway was both an effective community leader and captain, though probably a poor model of a Starfleet officer. She was forced to make much harder choices in order to insure the survival of her crew.

starlock
I agree, though I will add that Janeway had special circumstances that set her apart from other captains.

1) She had a tiny crew. Every death jeopardized the possibility that the rest could return to Earth.

2) She had no support from Starfleet, the UFP, or the Vulcans. Generally, she could only count on herself and her crew. No other Starfleet captain has regularly had to deal with such a challenge. Not even Archer.

That being the case, I would say that Janeway was both an effective community leader and captain, though probably a poor model of a Starfleet officer. She was forced to make much harder choices in order to insure the survival of her crew.

Thats my Janeway big grin

Raoul
I agree, though I will add that Janeway had special circumstances that set her apart from other captains.

i actually think she made alot of poor decisions, to be honest... i mean, one minute, she's refusing to take technology tthat would make their journey shorter, yet at others she's more than willing to violate the borders of races under the pretense of 'getting her crew home' when she really had no right to, imo...

i mean, look at the amount of times chakotay went against her...

i can accept that there were special circumstances, of course, but using starfleet regulations so elastically at times just annoyed me, especially when the crew's life was at stake...

so no, i don't think she was a good captain, starfleet or no... stick out tongue

Acrosurge
i actually think she made alot of poor decisions, to be honest... i mean, one minute, she's refusing to take technology tthat would make their journey shorter, yet at others she's more than willing to violate the borders of races under the pretense of 'getting her crew home' when she really had no right to, imo...

i mean, look at the amount of times chakotay went against her...

i can accept that there were special circumstances, of course, but using starfleet regulations so elastically at times just annoyed me, especially when the crew's life was at stake...

so no, i don't think she was a good captain, starfleet or no... stick out tongue I could be totally off base about this, but I remember Janeway's evolution away from the Prime Directive to be chronological, rather than erratic. Over time, she simply became more willing to protect her crew by any means necessary, even if it meant betraying Federation principles. Does that make her a hypocrite? Perhaps, but she didn't care. Right or wrong, she wanted to get her crew home safely, and she did.

Effective captain, yes. Model Starfleet captain, no. Moral captain? That's for you to decide!

Neo Darkhalen
Pike is the first star trek captain actually.

Acrosurge
Pike is the first star trek captain actually. That... is an excellent point! Did you like him?

BruceSkywalker
Pike is the first star trek captain actually.

But he just went on one mission with Spock

Endrict Nuul
Picard
Kirk
Sisko
Archer
Janeway

Endrict Nuul
Hell, Jeri Ryan would have made a better Captain than Janeway.

Darth Maliko
My order of best captains:
1.Picard-he's just awesome
2.Kirk-the classic
3.Archer-he's cooler than Janeway
4.Janeway-level of involvement
5.Sisko-he's cool but not cool enough

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Picard
Kirk
Sisko
Archer
Janeway

She may have.

TrollDog
"Khan."

jaden101
oh the irony that the woman and the black guy have almost no votes

TrollDog
Originally posted by jaden101
oh the irony that the woman and the black guy have almost no votes laughing

Schecter
sisko is my second favorite actually.

however he wasn't a captain

Devil King
I only really know of 2 Captains: Kirk and Picard.

And I couldn't choose between them.

Sisko eventually made Captain.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Devil King
I only really know of 2 Captains: Kirk and Picard.

And I couldn't choose between them.

Sisko eventually made Captain.

Janeway and Archer were horrible Captains

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Schecter
sisko is my second favorite actually.

however he wasn't a captain He started out as a commander, but later became a captain.

Shakyamunison
Janeway and Archer were horrible Captains

Yes, but that is one of the reasons I liked Archer. He was a "cowboy" captain long before there was any good captains. However, Janeway should have been striped of her command.

darthmaul1
Kirk is the best by far, he doesn't take crap from no one.
Picard is next
then siscko
then archer ( i like the first season where they didn't know anything about nothing and were all gung ho, 2 shots and the hull plating fails)

Janeway was the worst(captain helium) she sucked ass, she could of got them back in that episode with the 2 Q's but decided to rule in the other idiots favor and let him die.
I'm sorry but that is your species and their laws live with it and Janeway had no right to make that decision.

BruceSkywalker
Another thing about Janeway she made Admiral way tooo fast.

Shakyamunison
Another thing about Janeway she made Admiral way tooo fast.

Ya, who was she sleeping with? laughing

Doctor-Alvis
I rank my captains by the physical size of their head.

Mindship
Originally posted by Badabing
Ripped shirt Kirk pwns. http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x242/REDBONE-COONHOUND/RIPPEDSHIRT.jpg

Even Chuck Norris gives pause.

Raoul
gives pause? he runs for the hills...

Devil King
Originally posted by jaden101
oh the irony that the woman and the black guy have almost no votes

Yeah, but Obama and Hillary never ran for Captain of the Enterprise.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Mindship
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x242/REDBONE-COONHOUND/RIPPEDSHIRT.jpg

Even Chuck Norris gives pause.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raoul
Originally posted by Devil King
Yeah, but Obama and Hillary never ran for Captain of the Enterprise.

laughing out loud

Kinneary
Sisko is without a doubt my favorite captain. He has a good relationship with his crew, but god damn if he can't turn on that 'I'm the boss' charm in a heart beat.

~Wålshy~
penis

Raoul
grow up.

Koenig
There is only one and that one is James T. Kirk. big grin

Right that's a rap lets all go down the pub. laughing

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Koenig
There is only one and that one is James T. Kirk. big grin

Right that's a rap lets all go down the pub. laughing

As long as your buying

Badabing
grow up. He actually posted in a few threads with the same result....auto fail.

Anyway, Kirk is my fav.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Picard

the rest are all equal in my eyes...I do like Janeway...

MJOILNIR
Picard and Kird are pretty close for me..

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by MJOILNIR
Picard and Kird are pretty close for me..

Who is Kird? confused

tdazz
Picard, then Kirk. The rest don't even compare to these two.

P-Geyser
I choose Kirk as well.

Picard seems too damn snooty at times. For instance I noticed that when Kirks snaps at a member of his crew, he is man enough to apoligize. On TNG Wesley was trying to warn Picard it was Lore NOT Data and Picard shouts "SHUT UP WESLEY!" I dont recall Picard apoligizing.

As well Kirk always or most of the time beams down to investagate to see whats going on which planet and there have been times when Kirk has put the safety of his crew before himself. I noticed on TNG(could be me)that it's usually Riker, Data, Worf and La Forge that's putting themeselves at risk while Picard is sitting in his lounge chair.

Thats how I see it.

Scoobless
Originally posted by P-Geyser
As well Kirk always or most of the time beams down to investagate to see whats going on which planet and there have been times when Kirk has put the safety of his crew before himself. I noticed on TNG(could be me)that it's usually Riker, Data, Worf and La Forge that's putting themeselves at risk while Picard is sitting in his lounge chair.

Thats how I see it.

That's because it's dumb to risk the life of the most senior officer on an away mission where anything could happen. In fact it was covered quite a few times on Next Gen that that was Starfleet's official stance on the matter.

And he did apologise to Wesley.

P-Geyser
Did he now?...I need to see that episode again to be sure. So it would seem it was just covered not to have the senior officer risking his life in TNG. I guess in the original series it was not like that at all.

Scoobless
Yeah, I think it was implemented between the two series.

Archer went on almost all the away missions as well ... he and Enterprise were pretty under rated.

UltimaKuja
Oh come on.

Janeway - Owned the Borg.
Brought vital technology back from the delta quadrant/future.
IMO had some of the best missions. (Time related missions)
All flaws about the captains decisions lay solely with the directors.

Kirk - Just awesome. Nothing more needs to be said.

Sisko - Sisko + Defiant = ownage.
Nice amount of battles. Phasers and torpedoes firing = instant win.

Picard - Diplomacy nerd. x_x
Ugly ship. Ent-D.
Only really owned as a captain once he got command of the Ent-E. IMO

Well that's my opinions anyway.

JayJohn85
Really liked archer and really liked enterprise too, real pity the fans didnt. Though I must admit my views could be biased on the fact of the actor who was in quantum leap one of my favourite sci fi shows.

Lord Shadow Z
I voted for Kirk, the character is a legend and beats the others hands down. He would jump into a volcano if it meant he could save someone and he always puts his crew first.

Second I would go for Sisko, he's strong, resilient but more than that he is one of the most devious characters in Star Trek. He manipulates the enemy better than any captain/commander out there.

Janeway is next but to me she seems so tied to Starfleet regulations that the entire series of Voyager seems implausible sometimes. She adheres to the rules of planets even if her own crew is in danger which is strange.

I only liked the Picard character in First Contact, not so much in TNG.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.