Anakin's accent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GahLakTus
Can somone plz explain why Anakin goes from having an American accent to a British accent as Vader?

Bardock42
Vader had a British Accent?

What the f**k?

General G
Vader had an accent?

GahLakTus
Originally posted by General G
Vader had an accent?

Doesn't everyone?

queeq
Bizarre.

General G
Originally posted by GahLakTus
Doesn't everyone?

ehh alright, you got me there.

Tangible God
British accent? I thought that was just his strained voice from having his helmet removed shortly after being zapped with Force Lightning.

And Earl Jones' awesome tone ain't British, it's badass.

exanda kane
I think in Episode III, James Earl Jones voiceovers were prominently more accent-centric.

steverules
Doesn't everyone?

Everyone accept for vader cool

Sesse
He was trying to fit in...

Having a Jedi -> Yankee accent would have been frowned on.
However Imperial -> English accent was believed to show elegance.

exanda kane
Yeah, the yanks have never really got over the British thing. It's like the Nazi's, Communists and the Brits are the perfect pantomime villains for America, but they neglect to realise that they have some pretty dark and embarassing history too.

chik4lit
Plus, they were filming ANH in Britain, so that was the accent all the extras aka Imperials.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by exanda kane
Yeah, the yanks have never really got over the British thing. It's like the Nazi's, Communists and the Brits are the perfect pantomime villains for America, but they neglect to realise that they have some pretty dark and embarassing history too.

No, actually the british are commonly consitered to be good allies, atleast in war. It's Mexicans we hate. evil face

As for the vader thing James Earl Jones's voice was just cool.

BetrayedUnicorn
I never noticed this...will have to go watch for it...are you talking about when he removes the vader helmet and shows his face?

queeq
Huh?

exanda kane
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
No, actually the british are commonly consitered to be good allies, atleast in war.

I don't think you really understood the point, but I'll agree with what you said culturally and strategically. How this relates to Star Wars?

The Imperials are voiced by British (mostly) actors and the Rebels are American. I know that is obvious and has been remarked upon alot, but it is simply a retelling of the creation myth of America in the way; the Americans rebelling against the British. The fact that alot of British accents can be considered 'core-centric' in Star Wars is also telling of some interesting things going on in Star Wars.

Bardock42
Originally posted by steverules
Everyone accept for vader cool Exactly. There must be some standard of talking and everything else is accent or dialect. I vote for Vader as well.

queeq
I don't think you really understood the point, but I'll agree with what you said culturally and strategically. How this relates to Star Wars?

The Imperials are voiced by British (mostly) actors and the Rebels are American. I know that is obvious and has been remarked upon alot, but it is simply a retelling of the creation myth of America in the way; the Americans rebelling against the British. The fact that alot of British accents can be considered 'core-centric' in Star Wars is also telling of some interesting things going on in Star Wars.

THat's not the only thing though, it was also based on seeing the Imperials as aristocracy, just like Romans in the sword-and-sandal pictures were often protrayed by British actors. Lucas used that to create a difference between the two groups.

exanda kane
Well that was something I did forget then, but without having the need to save face, I did know it.

Sesse
Nah. The prequel trilogy is all about the Civil War. (duh?) Only this time it is Galactic one.

General Lee.. Ehm. Dooku met the Union troops in Geonosis (Gettysburg). Union won, but instead of retreating, General Lee decided to march to Washington anyway (Coruscant). There he kidnapped Palpatine (Abe Lincoln) and the rest is history...

I knew it! There was something sinister behind Star Wars.

The upcoming tv series will surely reveal the CIS march: http://www.37thtexas.org/html/DixieLyr.html

exanda kane
Who said anything about the prequel trilogy?

While yes, congratulations for working it out, the US Civil War does play a part in the influence, I don't see any Slaves anywhere.

Sesse
Who said anything about the prequel trilogy?

While yes, congratulations for working it out, the US Civil War does play a part in the influence, I don't see any Slaves anywhere.

Oh my, thank you. It is so rare to get recognition these days. I feel so important now that you have appreciated my exhausting research. Thanks.

Posted in (Star Wars: Episode I, II & III) , need another hint?

Shmi was a slave, Anakin was a slave.
Clones are in a way slaves.

exanda kane
First you disagree with me and then try and counter my introspective analogy with a totally unrelated analogy. I disgress:

Ergo, I find it amusing that one would debunk my reference to the Empire and the Rebellion as a retelling of the American creation myth with a reference to the Clone Wars as the Civil War while failing to realise that they are both, in fact, inspirations for the events in the Star Wars universe. Whether this is in the Prequel Forum or the EU forum, you cannot shrug off that fact.

Anakin Skywalkers position as indentured servant is inconsequential to the later events of the Clone Wars and thus your analogy fails.

GahLakTus
Originally posted by BetrayedUnicorn
I never noticed this...will have to go watch for it...are you talking about when he removes the vader helmet and shows his face?

No I am talking about the difference between pre-vader Anakin (Ep 1-3) and vader Anakin (Ep 4-6) - whilst I can understand the voice change, I am confused how his accent also changes from his distinctly American accent to a non-American accent.

Possibly somthing overlooked by Lucas? After all Vader's voice was an after thought.

Tangible God
No I am talking about the difference between pre-vader Anakin (Ep 1-3) and vader Anakin (Ep 4-6) - whilst I can understand the voice change, I am confused how his accent also changes from his distinctly American accent to a non-American accent.

Possibly somthing overlooked by Lucas? After all Vader's voice was an after thought. Or maybe it's got to do that the man was nearly immolated and had to be put into a giant iron lung which distorted his voice! Honestly, accent aside, you do realize his voice deepens by just a smidgen don't you? If his voice is gonna change so radically, why not alter his accent too?

Lord Knightfa11

no, we have no stereotypical british villains. Not that i can think of, anyway. We hate the memory of fat george, but you guys are good allies, and responsible for junkyard wars, america's got talent, and Robin hood. Our villains tend to stem from communistic/terroristic/nazi countries. Also, the way your females say "brilliant" is so HAWT!!!

queeq
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
no, we have no stereotypical british villains.

How about Vinnie Jones?

exanda kane
How about Alan Rickman, the guy from Beverly Hills Cop, Peter Cushing, Ian McKellen , Malcolm McDowell, Anthony Hopkins, Jeremy Irons, Jason Isaacs, Tim Roth, Brian Cox, Jonathon Pryce, Ralph Fienns - hell even Hellboy II is scraping for a member of Bros.

Elite Hunter
but you guys are good allies, and responsible for junkyard wars

Good show right there.

exanda kane
Scrapheap Challenge was crap.

Lord Knightfa11
damn, im even tivoing old junk yard wars and watching em... thats like one of the most inspiring shows ever.

and i meant actual movie/story characters. when you watch a film like gungadin, you are proud we came from british roots. I mean, i can think of bad guys that are british, but in most of those movies, the good guys are british too. (james bond) (pirates of the carribean III)

Allan rickman is awesome. he's cool in quigley down under and makes a good bad guy. I like him as much as i hate him. he also plays good guys, thou. Ian Mkellen is gandalf and the grandpa in national treasure. wtf u mean stereotypical bad guy??? you got me on jason isaacs. Jonathan pryce is elizabeth swan's father from pirates of the carribean III. I dont really recognise the rest but the ones i do, i recognise as good guys lol... except for allan rickman and jason isaacs. but allan rickman was also the one (good) guy in either sense and sensebility or pride and prejudice, whichever movie i almost could stand watching halfway through before blowing up the tv from the sheer lack of action or storyline or character. omg that movie was sappy

Rampant ox
Christopher Lee anyone? He epitomises the stereotypical British villain. Saruman, Dooku, Scaramanga etc, all slick, elegant villains with a distinct British accent.

exanda kane
Allan rickman is awesome. he's cool in quigley down under and makes a good bad guy. I like him as much as i hate him. he also plays good guys, thou. Ian Mkellen is gandalf and the grandpa in national treasure. wtf u mean stereotypical bad guy??? you got me on jason isaacs. Jonathan pryce is elizabeth swan's father from pirates of the carribean III. I dont really recognise the rest but the ones i do, i recognise as good guys lol... except for allan rickman and jason isaacs. but allan rickman was also the one (good) guy in either sense and sensebility or pride and prejudice, whichever movie i almost could stand watching halfway through before blowing up the tv from the sheer lack of action or storyline or character. omg that movie was sappy

Knightfall, seriously - you can't confuse supporting characters with the villains. Nor can you point out the exception to every rule and fail to see that the overriding trends go against your point. Also, you are mentioning films set predominantly in England or Britain, such as the Jane Austen adaptations (by the way, its crap, but you can't say that they dont have storyline or character; quite the opposite in fact) or films set before the American Revolution such as Pirates.

Fair do - you enjoy alot of British things, so good on you, but you cannot deny the way Hollywood uses the British as villains. I believe it's the accent - which I have heard somehow equates to intelligence - or Recieved Pronounciation and the face that an intelligent villain is almost always deemed a worthier villain.

Ushgarak
The Jedi tended to have an English feel about them as well, so I tended to see the accent divide as an establishment/anti-establishment thing.

They even altered Amidala's voice when in Queen mode to sound more 'regal', though in fact they only made it sound crap.

queeq
Major crap. Just check out the SW edition of French and Saunders.

exanda kane
Eugh, I really can't watch any French and Saunders. I'll give it a miss.

smoker4
Originally posted by Rampant ox
Christopher Lee anyone? He epitomises the stereotypical British villain. Saruman, Dooku, Scaramanga etc, all slick, elegant villains with a distinct British accent.

Lol at your internet crush on Chris Lee, any excuse to name drop your fantasy love match. Reminds me of that spiderman/man spider idiot, lololol.

Lord Knightfa11
Fair do - you enjoy alot of British things, so good on you, but you cannot deny the way Hollywood uses the British as villains. I believe it's the accent - which I have heard somehow equates to intelligence - or Recieved Pronounciation and the face that an intelligent villain is almost always deemed a worthier villain. I also like fish and crackers. IF a more intelligent villain is a worthier villain, then you should be complimented when they use a british accent on a villain to make him seem more intelligent :P ANd truly, i recognise very few of those that you mentioned as bad guys. For some reason i instantly thought gandalf or Governor swan. I dont know those two from anything else lol.

JerseyMage
It was awkward how anakin changed from a british accent to an american one in the later episodes. His injuries aren't a reason for his accent to change. I doubt Lucas' motivation for selecting a british actor for anakin in episode 3 had anything to do with elaborating on vader's characer, it was to appeal to the american audiences.

queeq
Anakin had a British accent? When? Jake Lloyd is American, so is Hayden, so is JEJ....

Tangible God
Hayden's Canadian. Just tossing that out. I'm not proud or anything, just a stickler for correct facts.

Lord Knightfa11
ha just like the canadians. gay rock bands (green day), now gay star wars actors. what's next? A gay terminator movie?

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Tangible God
Hayden's Canadian. Just tossing that out. I'm not proud or anything, just a stickler for correct facts.

you shouldn't be proud, you should be ashamed, very ashamed.

queeq
laughing out loud

Anyway, he's not British.

Lord Knightfa11
o, and about the BRITISH!!! jk.

queeq
Yeah what?

Schecter
Originally posted by queeq
Bizarre.

indeed

Sesse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artOXVZxECA&feature=related

chik4lit
That is awesome! Why would they let them do that?!?!

exanda kane
Maybe even the royal institutions have a sense of humour.

chik4lit
Wow. I'm just speaking as an American. If someone did that in front of the White House, I don't think Prez Bush would be amused.

I would be, though.

exanda kane
Well the USA is a distinctly different place - allegiance to the White House is one the things that keep the country together.

Sesse
"While I must admit, without the Panzers, it would not have been a victory."

"Victory? Victory you say? Master Kuhler, not victory. The shroud of the Dark side has fallen, begun the World War has..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJUKa0vePjc&feature=related

I wonder when this movie comes out. ^^

0°Mandalore°0
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
It's Mexicans we hate. evil face

You hate me? sad

exanda kane
Least you aren't French whistle

0°Mandalore°0
LOL. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love being mexican. I think he's joking... if not, ye' freakin' racist! mad

Lord Knightfa11

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Sesse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artOXVZxECA&feature=related

Thats fricking awesome.

0°Mandalore°0
No, just mildy dislike you.

You too? Damn you racists. miffed

Lord Knightfa11
i disliked you before i knew you were mexican at least...

Tangible God

0°Mandalore°0
Now you'll pay.......

gunsmilie

Tangible God
Going Antonio Banderas on my ass are you? Don't worry, I got Patrick Stewart.

0°Mandalore°0
Oh, rly? Guess what? I got Chuck Norris and Plo Koon too. You lose.

Lord Knightfa11
hahaha i got the white pasty ugly guy!! SIDEOUS!! and i got MACE WINDU! and i got RONALD REAGAN! DIE PESKY MEXICAN!!!

0°Mandalore°0
Sorry, no power in the universe is able to withstand Chuck Norris & Plo Koon's might combined. raver

Lord Knightfa11
hmm. we have.....

THE STUPIDITY OF GEORGE W. BUSH!!!

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Chuck norris's brain overloads from teh stupidity factor and he falls to the ground, blood trickling from every follucule.

Plo kloon gets shot by a clone in a spaceship.

queeq
That sounds like blasphemy saying that about Chuck.

Lord Knightfa11
chuck norris isn't mexican anyway.

queeq
Indeed.

Lord Knightfa11
whats with you and "indeed" anyway?

queeq
Indeed.

Lord Knightfa11
Indeed.

edit: oops i just realized you capatalize your "indeed"

queeq
Correct.

Lord Knightfa11
hmm. i could do this all day.

Indeed.

queeq
But we won't.

Lord Knightfa11
why not?

Indeed.

queeq
yawn

Lord Knightfa11
Indeed.

Lt. Valerian
laughing out loud Shut up, already.

Lord Knightfa11
NO!

Indeed.

queeq
Hm.

Lord Knightfa11
Indeed.

queeq
?

Lord Knightfa11
lol we are spammminnnnggg

queeq
Spamming? Hardly.

Lord Knightfa11
but we are. just barely.

queeq
Hardly.

Darth Maliko

Its not that we see the British as the villains.
Its that that accent is so COOL!!!
Bad guys NEED to be cool.
Hence the British accent.
Though I don't really recognize any accent in Vader at any time period.
He doesn't have ant distinctive American dialects, just the American version of proper English.
And he definitely doesn't have a British accent.
He just has that cool, synthesized voice.

queeq
Vader's American... he always was.

0°Mandalore°0
no expression

queeq
What?

Lord Knightfa11
I didn't say anything.

queeq
Good.

Sesse
Bad

Sesse
Bad

No its not. embarrasment

queeq
No?

Lt. Valerian
Uh... yeah?

Lord Knightfa11
Indeed.

Sesse
What?

Lt. Valerian
awehuh

Lord Knightfa11
What?
no. Who comes before what. Then i say when.

when?

Sesse
Sure blink

Lord Knightfa11
Shut up and dance! *whips out airsoft guns*
2guns Jumpy

queeq
Get some real guns....

sweersa
Get some real guns....

I hate it when I browse through all kinds of gun videos on youtube...only to find a crap load of videos only have the toy airsoft guns....who the heck posts these videos? Sure they are fun but NO ONE wants to here that fake little zip sound they make when they "fire."

Gun powder and lead all the way baby!

queeq
Kapow.

Sesse
Phasers are better.

queeq
Go away.... wink

Lord Knightfa11
well, I didn't want to kill you. thus the airsoft guns.

queeq
How kind.

Jack Daniels
Phasers are better.

Agreed...hehe ...then again lightsabers kick butt...then again as solo said NO MATCH FOR A GOOD BEER AT YOUR SIDE KID! beer oh I meant blaster...lol cool

Lord Knightfa11
beer makes the line better.

queeq
Funnier at least.

Darth Maliko
beer makes the line better.

definitely.

queeq
GEt us some then.

Jack Daniels
beer?

if someone is getting us beer ill take a 2 pack of grolsch please..lol

queeq
Only a 2-pack? What will you be having the next 5 minutes then?

Lord Knightfa11
blue milk.

Jack Daniels
Brown bagging a bottle of jack daniels of course..lol

queeq
Of course.

Jack Daniels
unless your giving away beer on the house this morning queeq.... Ill head right over to the milk bar! beer

queeq
Only in the weekends, JD.

Jack Daniels
*holding sign* will work for beer!

queeq
Ask Lara if you can sweep the floor in the bar.

Jack Daniels
sweet! (since you emptied out my account!) beer

queeq
I have an understanding with your bank... and their hitmen.

FistOfThe North
I thought Anakin's accent was a hybrid of American and British. British whenever he was being dramatic and American whenever he was in an action sequence.

I thought that Neimoidian pilot in ep. 3, navigating that ship Gen. Gr. was in at the start of the movie, had a New Jersey/New York accent when he said "Fire. Fire!" and "3 Jedi are in the hanger bay.." when Gen. G. asked him " Waat''s da situation, Captiin?". So?

What's the problem...?

sweersa
Oh my gosh, Anakin doesn't have an accent. He sounds normal..er...for a Canadian.

queeq
laughing out loud

Jack Daniels
I have an understanding with your bank... and their hitmen.
yeah well I have it set up that if anything happens to me I'm sending an army of premenstrual syndrome women to gripe at you for eternity! So how bout those free drinks during the weekdays?..lol..

Sesse
lol

queeq
Free drinks on weekdays? They get paid by you.

Ahsoka Tano
I didn't realize whining is an accent.

queeq
It is in the way Anakin does it.

sweersa
It is in the way Anakin does it.

Remember Luke in ANH? I would say that little trait is a Skywalker thing.

queeq
It's genetic.

sweersa
It's genetic.

Agreed. lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.