Bias video game reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EvilTyrant
I've recently heard that Gametrailers messed up another comparison video, this time on Grid. Its normally Xbox360 vs. PS3 video. This time 2 PS3 videos are shown and somehow the PS3 version still loses. I also believe the Asassin's Creed video wasn't done properly, the settings wasn't set on PS3 to full. Alot of ppl say Viacom owns Gametrailers and that Microsoft has a huge advertising deal with them. I just wanna hear everyone's comments/thoughts on this subject. Also, if you wanna say that this is just a simple mistake by GT, then they need to put up the correct videos.

P.S. Anyone whos ever worked in sales or any job where your selling stuff knows that its not allowed to upsell competitors products, unless your store sells nothing close to what the person is looking for.

"Places the Human Torch's battle cry here"

@st
Im not saying all reviews are biased, but I know there are many reviews/sites/reviewers who are biased.

Neo Darkhalen
same here.

EvilTyrant
Yeah I notice that alot of fans for one system will say its just a mistake, and the others will say conspiracy. If have any examples you wanna throw out there then by all means list it.

Smasandian
Originally posted by EvilTyrant
I've recently heard that Gametrailers messed up another comparison video, this time on Grid. Its normally Xbox360 vs. PS3 video. This time 2 PS3 videos are shown and somehow the PS3 version still loses. I also believe the Asassin's Creed video wasn't done properly, the settings wasn't set on PS3 to full. Alot of ppl say Viacom owns Gametrailers and that Microsoft has a huge advertising deal with them. I just wanna hear everyone's comments/thoughts on this subject. Also, if you wanna say that this is just a simple mistake by GT, then they need to put up the correct videos.

P.S. Anyone whos ever worked in sales or any job where your selling stuff knows that its not allowed to upsell competitors products, unless your store sells nothing close to what the person is looking for.

"Places the Human Torch's battle cry here"

And that your paranoid.

The videos have been removed.

EvilTyrant
Explain why i'm paranoid.

SpikeSpiegel
Alot of review sites are bias. That's why I like Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews at the Escapist, he hates everything equally stick out tongue

EvilTyrant
Now this is what i'm talking about, fans of the Xbox 360 will say this is just a mistake, and are willing to sweep it under the rug like nothing happened. Fans of PS3 are tired of this. I've seen forums where fans of Xbox will constantly throw that they have superior games and say the overall reviews are better for Microsoft. Makes you wonder why scores are so high even if the games have flaws.

WrathfulDwarf
Yes they did! Stay away from Gametrailers for your own good! They're the most bias S.O.B on the web. Their boards are run over by Sony fanboys and even worse their moderators make me sick!

Last year they were among the biggest critics of Gamespot for their reviews on PS3 games. I'd rather eat shit than to be a member of their boards.

Another site you should avoid is N4G. Uglier than 60 year old foul mouth Thai prostitude infested with STD.

S_D_J
^ And here I thought GT was Xbox biased... roll eyes (sarcastic)

big grin

for the record: Gamespot reviews last year were shit yes .... and then there was that "firing a guy over a review" debacle.

Now this is what i'm talking about, fans of the Xbox 360 will say this is just a mistake, and are willing to sweep it under the rug like nothing happened. Fans of PS3 are tired of this. I've seen forums where fans of Xbox will constantly throw that they have superior games and say the overall reviews are better for Microsoft. Makes you wonder why scores are so high even if the games have flaws.

they are biased, perhaps? Afterall, there's no reasoning with a fanboy (and that goes either way)

ragesRemorse
does it really matter? The only review that matters is your own.

S_D_J
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
does it really matter? The only review that matters is your own.

Tell that to a fanboy...

... and I agree

EvilTyrant
Oh yes it does matter, the media hype almost killed the PS3 before it started. Or was that Sony's fault? lol

S_D_J
The Media did overhype the PS3 before it's launch, but that doesn't have anything to do with reviews... it's the opposite actually; overpraised it (before even the machine was out = No reviews) just to bash it nowadays.

WrathfulDwarf
Negative or positve press...the PS3 got it's popularity.

Smasandian
Explain why i'm paranoid.

Because you made a thread about XBOX bias on a mistake that was removed.

ragesRemorse
Oh yes it does matter, the media hype almost killed the PS3 before it started. Or was that Sony's fault? lol

That is not the fault of game reviews. If anything it probably was sony's fault. That is to say if sony had anything to be at fault for. They paid for the marketing and just like the 360 and the wii, people bought the system. I'm sure the over exaggerations of system specs that sony boasted is the only reason we are talking about the over hype. Ps3 was being anticipated so much because of the PS2's success. It also released in the midst of the "next gen" era.

chithappens
That is not the fault of game reviews. If anything it probably was sony's fault. That is to say if sony had anything to be at fault for. They paid for the marketing and just like the 360 and the wii, people bought the system. I'm sure the over exaggerations of system specs that sony boasted is the only reason we are talking about the over hype. Ps3 was being anticipated so much because of the PS2's success. It also released in the midst of the "next gen" era.

I live on a college campus. I have walked into only TWO rooms with a PS3.

PS3 just does not impress. It has features that seem really stupid.

Hook it up to two HDTVs at once!

Play seven players at once! What game can I can possible play with 7 people on one system?!?!?!

Waste of architechure. The whole triple core is dumb too but that's for developers to deal with...

EvilTyrant
Ok, i'll stop being paranoid when they put up the correct videos. I mean how can you not double check the video to make sure its correct. After what happened with Gamespot, you would think that would be issue number 1. 1st the Assasin's Creed video now this.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by chithappens
I live on a college campus. I have walked into only TWO rooms with a PS3.

PS3 just does not impress. It has features that seem really stupid.

Hook it up to two HDTVs at once!

Play seven players at once! What game can I can possible play with 7 people on one system?!?!?!

Waste of architechure. The whole triple core is dumb too but that's for developers to deal with...

yeah, i think for the most part the system is a failure too. Not because of the hardware or lack of features, but the lack of fun and exclusive games.

chithappens
Ok, i'll stop being paranoid when they put up the correct videos. I mean how can you not double check the video to make sure its correct. After what happened with Gamespot, you would think that would be issue number 1. 1st the Assasin's Creed video now this.

Seriously, you can't be certain either way. Why does it matter? It looks a little better? Unless its FPS (frames per second), why the would anyone care?

yeah, i think for the most part the system is a failure too. Not because of the hardware or lack of features, but the lack of fun and exclusive games.

Yeah. Only thing I really like is Resistance. The second one looks like it will be very impressive

EvilTyrant
I don't think the PS3 is a failure at all. Its a great system thats only going to get better. Once developers makes games that actually use all the features then we shall see what this thing is capable of. I also think the reviews matter alot. I remember reading a review for Heavenly Sword where it lost points because the game was short. Then I hear Gears of War was short too, but it never lost points. Now anyone whos played Warhawk knows its a great game. Reviewers docked it points because it was multiplayer only. Halo also received a 10/10, I don't see how really. I also played Lair, the game was fine, but the 4th level was terrible, seemed based on luck more then anything. Once passed that the game was great!! (Lair was also marked down for not having multiplayer, but Bioshock wasn't) I just want fair reviews, I didn't spend money on this great system just to watch it die because of media hate. If its truly a failure, then I wanna see fail on its own. (sorry long post)

Raoul
I don't think the PS3 is a failure at all. Its a great system thats only going to get better. Once developers makes games that actually use all the features then we shall see what this thing is capable of. I also think the reviews matter alot. I remember reading a review for Heavenly Sword where it lost points because the game was short. Then I hear Gears of War was short too, but it never lost points. Now anyone whos played Warhawk knows its a great game. Reviewers docked it points because it was multiplayer only. Halo also received a 10/10, I don't see how really. I also played Lair, the game was fine, but the 4th level was terrible, seemed based on luck more then anything. Once passed that the game was great!! (Lair was also marked down for not having multiplayer, but Bioshock wasn't) I just want fair reviews, I didn't spend money on this great system just to watch it die because of media hate. If its truly a failure, then I wanna see fail on its own. (sorry long post)

media hate isnt whats killing ps3... its sony acting the bollocks and destroying the faith of alot of sony fans who were eagerly awaiting the release of the console only to find that it was rushed because of sony's desperation to get blu-ray out into the world on a popular platform... add that to the constant complaints about difficulties with developing games, and the lack of backwards compatibility, as well as sony taking their time to release different hard drive size models...

me, i had a playstation, and a ps2, and for a long time ignored people telling me to get on board with 360 because i believed that sony would come good...

and yet, i find myself more interested in playing a 360 with games like gta 4, gears of war, the orange box, pes 2008, cod 4 etc...

the ps3 does have some good games, but given its high price, its massive lag behind the 360, and the lack of backwards compatibility, it still has a long way to go imo...

i do hope mgs is the business, though...

EvilTyrant
So let me get this straight, you say the PS3 was rushed, now you do know Microsoft rushed out the 360 just to get the upper hand on Sony. This is why you have the RRoD and the disc being scratched by the machine. Now the blu ray argument I hear alot is that Sony needs to concentrate more on making games, but I disagree. I think winning the format war was priorty #1, just think about it, if Sony would have lost then they would have a useless blu ray in every system built in which would = defeat. In my opinion I think Microsoft could have delivered the killing blow if they had HDVD built in from the start. Now all the games you mentioned is on PS3 as well except Gears. I think Xbox Live is amazing, and I was blown away with the features to communicate with others (my friend has it!) So I think thats the edge with multiplat games for 360.

chithappens
Bad disc drives have nothing to do with rushing hardware

WrathfulDwarf
This is why you have the RRoD and the disc being scratched by the machine. Now the blu ray argument I hear alot is that Sony needs to concentrate more on making games, but I disagree. I think winning the format war was priorty #1

This is not true. The PS3 priority should be about the games and only about the games. PS3 help Blu-ray in the war...good. From a gamers perspective it means nothing. MS did drop the ball with the RRoD. No question about it. The good thing is that MS took the right steps on fixing this issue.

I understand there was going to be a lot of unhappy customers. It's reasonable and understandble. But you gotta admit MS did the right thing by giving a three year extension and providing help for their customers. It was an inconvienance but it was resolved.

Raoul
So let me get this straight, you say the PS3 was rushed, now you do know Microsoft rushed out the 360 just to get the upper hand on Sony. This is why you have the RRoD and the disc being scratched by the machine. Now the blu ray argument I hear alot is that Sony needs to concentrate more on making games, but I disagree. I think winning the format war was priorty #1, just think about it, if Sony would have lost then they would have a useless blu ray in every system built in which would = defeat. In my opinion I think Microsoft could have delivered the killing blow if they had HDVD built in from the start. Now all the games you mentioned is on PS3 as well except Gears. I think Xbox Live is amazing, and I was blown away with the features to communicate with others (my friend has it!) So I think thats the edge with multiplat games for 360.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
This is not true. The PS3 priority should be about the games and only about the games. PS3 help Blu-ray in the war...good. From a gamers perspective it means nothing. MS did drop the ball with the RRoD. No question about it. The good thing is that MS took the right steps on fixing this issue.

I understand there was going to be a lot of unhappy customers. It's reasonable and understandble. But you gotta admit MS did the right thing by giving a three year extension and providing help for their customers. It was an inconvienance but it was resolved.

srug

S_D_J
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Yes it was true. Sony's priority was to push the BR format to the general public, while leaving gaming in 2nd priority. Granted, it shouldn't have been that way, but the truth is it was that way. It's a company and at the end of the day, it's the suit's decision what matters, It doesn't matter whether you think (by you I mean everyone) what is and what should be their priority, since they make the last call. You as a customer have the power to let them know if you agree by buying or not their products.
If they fail miserably, then they will get the message and that will serve them right.
While many may argue it was a bad move, it was a move that at end, paid off. If it wasn't for the PS3, they would have lost to HD quite fast, and if Microsoft were to have put an HD-DVD on the 360 from the start (it still would have much cheaper than the PS3), Sony would have been out of the map by now.

Now SONY really needs to concentrate on games, if they still hope to catch up in the current gen, and that remains to be seen.

Microsoft did take the right step to fix the RRoD problem, but it hasn't been resolved, far from it. The problem still looms over every 360 out there, and while the 3 years warranty presents a temporary solution, it still is a really annoying problem to deal with, and once the warranty runs out, you are pretty much on your own, .... or buy another system (most store no longer offer "insurance" for it).

They did rushed the system to win the current war, and while they managed to nag a big user base, Nintendo is still pretty much kicking everyone's ass. They have tried with new GPU's and CPU's but as far as I know, the problem still exist. That's what they should focus on, eradicating the problem at its roots.
They do have great games and an impressive online to back them up.Originally posted by chithappens
Bad disc drives have nothing to do with rushing hardware
Who said anything about Disc Drives. It's about the machine scratching your disc, to the point of being unusable, then you have to pay like 20$ to replace it, and that's something you shouldn't have to do... That's a hardware problem right there

JustFrame
Most of the major movie companies, are already only Blue-Ray Disc exclusive, and non-BRD movie companies such as Paramount I believe have an escape clause in their HD-DVD contract, so they also will most likely move over to Blue-Ray.

This can actually in fact play, and most likely will in that case, play into Sony's favor for giving the PS3 a BlueRay format. Simply because it is half the price of an actual BlueRay, and it'll play all of the Blue Ray Movies to boot.

So look forward into the future just a bit, not to mention for Sony, for me personally, the reason I haven't bought a PS3 is because they don't have any games currently that I want at the moment.

However, wait until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out, I guarantee there will be a flood of people who'll buy a PS3 for MGS4 alone, and then you still have the fact that Tekken 6, and definetly Final Fantasy XIII will have another wave of flock people wanting to get the PS3.

At this moment, PS3 doesn't have a game to me that really stands out in their system, but once a game such as FFXIII or MGS4 comes out, we'll see what happens.

FF series is arguably the most popular rgp series out there, so that will be a huge trump card when it comes out, not to mention Tekken 6 is the most popular 3-D fighting game in the world, which is another trump card, then you have Metal Gear Solid 4, which is arguably the most anticipated game at this time and place.

Everyone forgets that Sony when they first started the PSX didn't do so hot, until in 97 when one game changed the whole face for them...FFVII. That game alone tipped the whole balance into shifting the landslide in a neck to neck battle with the Saturn completely into the the PSX.

I believe if Sony is "going to win" the war it will come from the help of one of those 3 games, if not all of them will contribute into it.

However, if you want my honest opinion, I'd rather have a neck to neck competition between all three of the companies, that way we'll be getting better games from all of them.

So I don't care if Sony comes out on top or not, even though they have the games for the PS3 that I am most anticipating.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by S_D_J
Yes it was true. Sony's priority was to push the BR format to the general public, while leaving gaming in 2nd priority. Granted, it shouldn't have been that way, but the truth is it was that way. It's a company and at the end of the day, it's the suit's decision what matters, It doesn't matter whether you think (by you I mean everyone) what is and what should be their priority, since they make the last call. You as a customer have the power to let them know if you agree by buying or not their products.
If they fail miserably, then they will get the message and that will serve them right.
While many may argue it was a bad move, it was a move that at end, paid off. If it wasn't for the PS3, they would have lost to HD quite fast, and if Microsoft were to have put an HD-DVD on the 360 from the start (it still would have much cheaper than the PS3), Sony would have been out of the map by now.

Now SONY really needs to concentrate on games, if they still hope to catch up in the current gen, and that remains to be seen.

Microsoft did take the right step to fix the RRoD problem, but it hasn't been resolved, far from it. The problem still looms over every 360 out there, and while the 3 years warranty presents a temporary solution, it still is a really annoying problem to deal with, and once the warranty runs out, you are pretty much on your own, .... or buy another system (most store no longer offer "insurance" for it).

"SONY really needs to concentrate on games"

Agree...

EvilTyrant
I agree that they need to concentrate on games, but they had to win the format war 1st. Also 50 gb vs. 9 gb of space for games now is a plus. Thats why I prefer most PS3 exclusive games, because most will use the space on the disc (hopefully). I always wondered how Microsoft got away with such a high system death rate without needing to do a recall. I always see some unknown news shows on the internet in a different country complaining about the Xbox360 problems, but never see anything in America. Maybe because of MSNBC lol. (I know i'm paranoid) Even G4 barely mentioned it, but was bashing the PS3 everyday.

S_D_J
I agree that they need to concentrate on games, but they had to win the format war 1st. Also 50 gb vs. 9 gb of space for games now is a plus. Thats why I prefer most PS3 exclusive games, because most will use the space on the disc (hopefully). I always wondered how Microsoft got away with such a high system death rate without needing to do a recall. I always see some unknown news shows on the internet in a different country complaining about the Xbox360 problems, but never see anything in America. Maybe because of MSNBC lol. (I know i'm paranoid) Even G4 barely mentioned it, but was bashing the PS3 everyday.

I haven't seen anything on the news about it (except for the occasional Video Game show), but I don't live in the States, so I wouldn't know about it.
I can tell you this though, Granted the RRoD is a big problem, the solution given by MS (while not a definite solution) is a good solution for their customers in the States, Japan, Europe (Most countries in Europe require by law, that companies must offer a minimum 2 years warranty for their products anyway) and any other part of the world the warranty applies.... but that's the thing: the warranty doesn't apply everywhere, most countries are not covered by the warranty, and once the problem happens (despite temporary solutions) your only solution is to buy a new console (or send the machine to a country where Tech Support is given, while you have to pay for all shipping fees), so you see how you will find shows or other online outlets where they can (and will) complain.
While in States you have to wait like 3-4 weeks, and that's it...

ESB -1138
I remember reading a review for Heavenly Sword where it lost points because the game was short. Then I hear Gears of War was short too, but it never lost points.

Well you see Gears of War was 5-8 hours long and Heavenly Sword was 4-6 hours long but why GoW didn't lose points due to length is because it also has co-op and online play.

chithappens
I agree that they need to concentrate on games, but they had to win the format war 1st. Also 50 gb vs. 9 gb of space for games now is a plus.

I don't get your point. You can format stuff as you please to get stuff to fit if you want to do it. A lot of PS2 games had over 40 hours of gameplay easy on a basic DVD disc.

It's just something to spin for the public but it's not a big deal. IF a developer wants it in the game, it gets in the game, period. That was an issue before 32-bit systems (which is why Square and Nintendo had that ugly break up and Square went with Sony). After that, you can toss it out the window. It didn't bother people when FFs and MGS came for multiple disc on PS1. Who cares?

EvilTyrant
How is using blu ray for more disc space just considered spin. Kojima already started to complain that blu ray wasn't enough for Metal Gear Solid 4. Maybe for these games to have better graphics, sound, and length your gonna need more space. I also heard that compressing music means your gonna lose quality, but I don't know i'm not a developer working on this stuff.

chithappens
I also heard that compressing music means your gonna lose quality, but I don't know i'm not a developer working on this stuff.

That's what I was getting @. If you want it on the game, it'll be on the game. It's just politics

WrathfulDwarf
Well guys,

Is IGN bias?

Haze 4.5/10

"That being said, you are going to have to put up with some extremely weak visuals within Haze. There is a litany of problems with the game, from the odd warping of allied soldiers that blink into view suddenly at arbitrary checkpoints to poor texture work. Many of the environmental textures are generic and weak, and you'll frequently see seams or tearing constantly pop up within the game, which distracts from the action onscreen. The worse example of this has to be the visuals for the flamethrower, the Dragon de la Gente, which vomits a horrid cone of supposed flame that looks visually on par with what you'd find from the 386 PC days 15 years ago."

Halo Killer...right? Oh, not really....there is Killzone coming....*shrugs*

@st
After playing the demo, I can understand that score. I cant believe Free Radical could make such a bad FPS, they are some of the best when it comes to FPS.

Peach
I also heard that compressing music means your gonna lose quality, but I don't know i'm not a developer working on this stuff.

That's...common sense.

EvilTyrant
I know its common sense just making a point on what having extra space can do for you. Besides, I had to reply back somehow. Oh yeah, and when I played the Haze demo I was at first excited about the jungle scene and how it looked, but then it just seem to lack something. I have yet to try it again, and was'nt really gonna buy it anyway.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.