Salo Rerelease

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
Finally after years of waiting the infamous and brutal Salo is getting it's long deserved rerelease from Criterion.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=17

I love the cover art. They chose the image from the film that I always thought was the most visually impactful.

Release date is in August. All fans of extreme cinema should mark your calenders, for this is one of the big boys. One of the most genuinely disturbing films ever made and one that is worthy of it's reputation.

MildPossession
It was the one rental watch for me, and wouldn't want it in my dvd collection. Not big on Pasolini's work. Agree with the cover though, good cover.

WrathfulDwarf
I'm pretty satisified with my bootleg copy. So I'll pass...

Impediment
I've never seen this movie, but I'ver heard many, many great things about it. I'll be buying it.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
I've never seen this movie, but I'ver heard many, many great things about it. I'll be buying it.

I'll be buying a copy also

willywilly99
Commentary by creature effects designers/creators Tom Woodruff Jr. and Alec Gillis

BackFire
Just a friendly reminder that this is coming out tomorrow.

Impediment
How much is it? I hate those godawful Criterion prices. It'll be worth it, though.

BackFire
Looks like it will cost around $30.

Not bad, considering before it cost about $500 to get an official copy.

Röland
I have never seen this movie but I just have one question?

Is it comparable to HOSTEL where it was pretty much shock cinema with a shitty back story? Or is there more to this movie then the torture?

Impediment
Hostel, from what I have been told, is shit when compared to Salo.

Hostel was nothing more than Hype, in it's most extreme form, when publicizing a movie.

BackFire
Salo is on a whole different level from Hostel.

Salo actually has very little actual gore, it's mostly about atmosphere and tone that makes it so horrific.

The torture that is shown is sexual in nature, or mental.

So no, there is much much MUCH more to Salo than simple torture and what not, it is a very cerebral film and that is very often over looked.

Röland
Originally posted by BackFire
Salo is on a whole different level from Hostel.

Salo actually has very little actual gore, it's mostly about atmosphere and tone that makes it so horrific.

The torture that is shown is sexual in nature, or mental.

So no, there is much much MUCH more to Salo than simple torture and what not, it is a very cerebral film and that is very often over looked.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I may have to look into buying this film.

BackFire
Picked this up a few minutes ago. Packaging is beautiful. And it comes with this great little booklet filled with essays about the film. And the extras seem really good so far.

Good package, well worth the price.

papabeard
For me, this is the kind of film you only have to watch once.

Impediment
I'll be buying it this payday.

WrathfulDwarf
As a special edition DVD whore that I am. This should be a buy. However, I'm putting my money on other things. Most likely it will be a while till I get a copy.

But most likely this will become quite a colletible. Back in 05 when CH was release on 2 disc dvd it eventually sold out with a period of time. many copies were produce and they went fast. I'm hoping that Criterion made enough copies of this edition. Would be a shame if I missed out.

BackFire
I'd buy it sooner than later because there are some pretty solid discounts on it right now.

At DVD planet it's only $25, normal asking price is anywhere from $30 - $40.

But yeah, it's a great set, great for collectors. And the picture is really improved! Everything looks really nice a clear and crisp.

And as you say, you never know how long these special edition cult movies will stay available.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.