Why didn't the Soviets go after the Ark?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
It was inside the warehouse! eek!

Or did they took it? hmm

queeq
I don't think they knew it was there or even notice it.

Besides, in Communist tradition religion is opium to the people. Why bring a box of opium to Russia? wink

WrathfulDwarf
hehehe...

ragesRemorse
because it was already done in indy 1 and besides, what good is it if all it does is kill whomever opens it?

queeq
It would have saved everyone the embarassment of the rest of the movie.

Jovan
it was just an over the top nod to Indy 1... an unneeded one

queeq
A nice one though. TLC had one.

roughrider
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
because it was already done in indy 1 and besides, what good is it if all it does is kill whomever opens it?

Yeah, I think they did their homework on the Ark; it wouldn't be worth it.

jcvaldez
it would have made more sense than stupid aliens skulls

queeq
hehehe

Jovan
Originally posted by queeq
A nice one though. TLC had one.
yeah and that's the problem: Indy 4 was drowning in the "nods" to other movies. I quit counting after 15.

queeq
It wasn't too bad though. I dreaded the references most, but it was not really in your face.

Jovan
how much more in your face could you be with for instance the flesh eating ants that walked out of the set of The Mummy (number 3 I think?) and walked right up the set of Indy IV

queeq
I meant references to previous Indy films. The Mummy thing is just ironic, the original copying the copy.

Jovan
I didn't mind those, but those "ironic" things were annoying the heck out of me. I was there with someone else and I told her I heard the movie was copied from the comic book Tintin and the solar temple. I have read it ages ago so didn't know exactly. But I hadn't told her so she was guessing the entire time which movie or book was copied. If you pay attention to it, you get a lot of things they copied!

queeq
Which is not a bad thing per se.... as long as it is done right.

Kazenji
It would have saved everyone the embarassment of the rest of the movie.

Hey! some people did enjoy the movie like myself it was a good film but would'nt exactly say its the best film made ever sort of thing.

Jovan
Which is not a bad thing per se.... as long as it is done right.
it is, if she finds every 3 minutes a reference

queeq
Wha'evah.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Kazenji
Hey! some people did enjoy the movie like myself it was a good film but would'nt exactly say its the best film made ever sort of thing.

Yeah, thats how I feel. This isn't the best Indiana Jones movies. It was fun and exciting enough for me. I liked the mystery the film kept all the way to the end.

BetrayedUnicorn
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, thats how I feel. This isn't the best Indiana Jones movies. It was fun and exciting enough for me. I liked the mystery the film kept all the way to the end.

I agree with you both!!!

queeq
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Point is: why isn't this the best Indiana Jones movie ever?

JediRobin23
A picture of the ark was in last crusade, and they didn't go after it then.

It was just annoying that for a second there, you thought they might be looking the ark once you recognized the warehouse

Kazenji
Point is: why isn't this the best Indiana Jones movie ever?

There is no such thing as "best Indiana Jones movie ever" everyone has their opinions/favorites

I like all the adventures that have happen in the films myself.

queeq
How.... critical of you.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Kazenji
There is no such thing as "best Indiana Jones movie ever" everyone has their opinions/favorites

I like all the adventures that have happen in the films myself.

Seriously.
Raiders is the ultimate and clearly is superior to KOTCS...! Therefore there is a variation in quality between the movies.
And Raiders wins against all else.

queeq
Amen.

Jack Daniels
raiders number one of course but this IMO was best since...holy grail was next that other one just plain sucked

Sadako of Girth
Not a Temple of doom fan then.

queeq
Nope.

Sadako of Girth
Heh.

A philistine or two keeps life interesting.

Jack Daniels
Im sorry that one(temple of doom) just sucked though...any others Ill watch and do watch several times a year...temple of doom uggghh dont even own the dvd....(unfortunately dont even have raiders on dvd only vhs very snowy gonna buy off ebay though!)

Sadako of Girth
And so you should be.... stick out tongue It only sucked to you. wink

Temple of doom not only was better paced, had more depth, character, a better script with much memorable/quoteable dialogue a much better plot an Indy wasn't portrayed as an aged cretin.
The KOTCS (or TOAS :P ) vs TOD thread poll reflects the truth.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=486215&pagenumber=7#post11256429

queeq
If it's truth you want, philosophy class is just down the hall.

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

Quincy
Because in Soviet Russia, Ark go after you.

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

queeq
I don't get it...

Sadako of Girth
It just outright surrealism and vague spoofing of that turn of phrase that seems to crop up in glasnost era old movies.
Wasnt there line like that in Red Heat...?

queeq
Ah, haven;t seen that in a while...

Sadako of Girth
Its for the best, really. shifty

queeq
I remember enjoying it a little... the music was very good.

Sadako of Girth
Cant beat an eighties soundtrack.

queeq
James Horner is his soundscape days... Nowadays it's always a bit the same.

Sadako of Girth
People in suits, fearful that their product has to sell to whatever biggest demographic are mostly afraid to take chances these days with anything ungeneric. Cool things do get through for example...

The soundtrack to LOST is very innovative.

Its played on plane wreckage for it's very unusual timbres.

queeq
Giacchino did a very good job there. I am wondering what we're getting from him on the Star Trek movie.

Sadako of Girth
Pure liquid gold brilliance, I bet.

queeq
It better.

Sadako of Girth
Perhaps it'll be played on the wreckage of a prototype Bird of Prey. stick out tongue

queeq
Who knows.

Sadako of Girth
Good song, that.

queeq
?

Sadako of Girth
By Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsies.

Awesome groove, it has.

queeq
Ah...

Sadako of Girth
I once answered the question of "How long can you draw out a jam on those two riffs in a bar, as a three piece before the suicides start?"

12 mins, it would seem.

queeq
A record I suppose.

Sadako of Girth
Not one Id care to attempt again... stick out tongue
Its not easy to play rhythm/lead against two types of riff for that time without repeating yourself, boring the audience.

In retrospect it shoulkd maybe have been like 9 mins (which still would be long by that kinda jam's standards, live.

queeq
Quite. But in a concert I think there's a different perception of time than on an album.

Sadako of Girth
Depends on a lot of things. What kinda night you're having, the amount you've had to drink....Many factors.

queeq
Don't complicate things. wink

Sadako of Girth
Always a good idea.

Thats why I left out theories of time and its relationship with gravity.

queeq
You have theories of time and its relationship with gravity????? Don't lie now.

Sadako of Girth
No Hawking does.

siriuswriter
it's only a person who dares to touch the actual ark that's all "dead." and probably most/all the people who knew about the Ark project were all like.. oooohhhh pretty.........DEATH! so after all this dying maybe the nazi's were like, herm, let's think about another, better religious object we can go after.

so when the Ark showed up in IV, nobody died because nobody actually touched it. but yeah, it was a callback.

all the callbacks put together were still not as lame as the fourth movie... and that is sad.

Sadako of Girth
There were lots of Nazis at that end bit that hadn't touched it that got fried. Besides. Indy and John Rhy Davies' character didnt die.

Shame it didn't make Indy infertile, really, judging by Indy IV.

Yeah its possible though, what you say, about the possiblity that the Nazis had all heard about it, but that begs the question of "Why hadnt the whole world heard about it if it was common Nazi-knowledge..?

That kinda thing f***s up the established "possibly coulda happenedness" vibe of Raiders.

queeq
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Shame it didn't make Indy infertile, really, judging by Indy IV.

laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
No mercy for Mutt lolz

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
There were lots of Nazis at that end bit that hadn't touched it that got fried. Besides. Indy and John Rhy Davies' character didnt die.

I just have to talk about this point - Indy and Marion were looking away, and John Rhy Davies wasn't in the scene

queeq
Sallah touched it though.

Sadako of Girth
My point exactly. Thank you. smile

queeq
And don't confuse it with looking in as well, I think only Belloq, Dietrich and Toht looked inside. In the end it's all about the heart. Indy and Marion showed respect by closing their eyes and they survived. Nothing more, great scene, great film.

Sadako of Girth
Showing fear/respect might be the thing there, yes.....

Or perhaps it was God's way of showing the Germans what would happen if anybody made a shit Indy IV.

Just he couldnt be bothered to follow through.

Was Indy IV relased on a Sunday...?
Must've snuck by unpunished on his day of rest/golf. lolz

ItsRambo
Didnt indy say dont look at it

Sadako of Girth
Yes. He did. Another clue about when Indy IV would come out all those years later...? yes

queeq
laughing out loud

"Sadako, keep your eyes shut. No matter what happens. Keep your eyes shut, Sadako!"

Sadako of Girth
laughing

*Listens and keeps eyes shut trying to shut out the screams in the cinema of Indy fans as their aspirations and souls are decimated and horribly burned all around by the ensuing barrel of CGI monkey piss on screen is unleashed*

queeq
Now lock that movie in a crate and store it in a HUUUUGE warehouse.

Sadako of Girth
(Followed, presumably by the atomic decimation of said warehouse)

queeq
Unless the Russians get there first.

Sadako of Girth
They wouldnt dare screen a movie that bad. It wouldnt just destroy their enemines, they'd most likely lobotomise themselves also.

queeq
I dunno... some of those Siberian farmers might actually like it after a few gallons of vodka.

Sadako of Girth
If by "Vodka", you mean "LSD", then I'd agree.

'Til 'The Fear' sets in. shifty

queeq
Obviously, you have no idea how much vodka these guys drink. wink

Sadako of Girth
Yes I do....

Almost as much as Slash and Duff did back in the eighties. stick out tongue

queeq
And then four times that.

Sadako of Girth
As much as them and Oliver Reed combined...?

queeq
Hmmm... that'd be kinda inhuman.

Sadako of Girth
They would be demigods of drinking.

They'd need some kind of communal Robo-Liver.

queeq
I don't believe that is possible. I don't even believe Oliver Reed was possible.

Sadako of Girth
My theory is that he died in 1982.

He just didnt realise for all those years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1LfB9MwgI

queeq
Drunsk as a skunk. Hilarious.

He should thank Ridley Scott for a last minute save of his career. But the alcholo restriction Scott gave him prolly killed him.

Sadako of Girth
He sold him queer giraffes.

queeq
That helped.

Sadako of Girth
A great last role.

queeq
Indeed. I loved what they did with his death, reusing a bit of deleted footage of the (non-scripted) repetition of that line 'shadows and dust'. As if he knew a bit more solemn version would have some prupose. Or perhaps he was secretly drunk again.

Sadako of Girth
A combination of the last two factors, I'd guess.

queeq
According to Scott he didn't drink during the shoot. I believe him.

Sadako of Girth
His word is good enough for me.

queeq
I can sure see him kick Reed's butt when he caught him drinking.

Sadako of Girth
He hasnt got a reputation for suffering fools gladly.

queeq
Tough man, that Scott.

Sadako of Girth
Scott killed two disobediant extras on the Blade Runner set.*

* Not true. stick out tongue

queeq
Hehehe... I know. I'd know though.

Well, I've heard of people who know Jan DeBont (DOP on Black Rain (director of Speed and Twister)) - Dutch guy - that he though Scott was a complete *******. But then I think: they guy just knows things better than most DOP's... maybe that's a problem, but it also makes his film stand out.
Me? Great Ridley fan. If you can make movies like that, you're entitled to be an ******* (to some).

Sadako of Girth
To some, yeah, but you'd still have to be called "douche" when being a douche by non-sycophants.

(Or "Shiiickophantsh" as Connery would say it. wink )

It takes genius to be genius, but a genius douche is still half douche.

queeq
But he makes it work.

Sadako of Girth
In the eyes of some.

He is a genius limited to artistic personality cliches.

Now turning in a work of genius, but still having some degree of social skills too....?

That'd be epic.

queeq
He has though. Most actors enjoy working with him.

Sadako of Girth
Well then. Perhaps he isnt as bad as they say.

Or is it that they like being in big films: Something that Scott happens to be very good at.

Have you seen 'White Squall'?

queeq
Yup, seen and own.

Sadako of Girth
Another good movie, back in its day.

queeq
Very. And a rather small movie for Scott.

Sadako of Girth
Definitely.

Thats one of the things I remember impressing me more.

If that was Michael Bay, he'd have had to work in more explosions and stuff. Scott is genius because he knows how to do grandiose, yet knows how to restrain himself for a feeling of reality within the movie's sake.

queeq
Absolutely. Even though I think American Gangster and Body of Lies are pretty good films, I do kinda the miss the extreely pretty look he can produce. Very restraint movies, look wise.

Sadako of Girth
For real. Had I not known beforehand, I'd never have known that American Gangster was his.

queeq
True. SHows he's getting a bit more versatile, but then: who's making the very pretty movies now?

Sadako of Girth
The Coen brothers?

queeq
YEah, but they shoot on schedule. So they're willing to compromise on look when push comes to shove. And even then, even though they are great and very stylish films, the pristine beauty Scott produces is quite unsurpassed.

Sadako of Girth
I think that Scott also had more extravagent visual subject matter in Alien, Gladiator and yes even White Squall, and American Gangster looked drearier than No Country for old men.

queeq
I agree. But that was his personal choice. I'm sure he could have made AG look extremely 70s slick.

Sadako of Girth
Then why didnt he...dammit...? lolz

Heh. Probably some pussy assed descision from the studio about not wanting to visually glamourise the lifestyle.

queeq
Nope. He's so big studios don't tell him what to do anymore. It was his decision alone, one I support from a story POV though... but I loved the pretty pictures. It just about redeems even GI Jane.

Sadako of Girth
Then his pussiness is from within.....

*Bows Zennly*

queeq
Hehehe... you better hope he doesn't hear ya.

Sadako of Girth
Becauuuuuuuuuuuseeeee..... He is not as forgiving as Palpatine is...? stick out tongue

queeq
He'll extinguish his cigar on your ...err... sensitive areas.

Sadako of Girth
Most ladies charge extra for that.

queeq
Ah, you're that kinda guy.

Sadako of Girth
No, but I have seen/heard of many crazy things over the years.

queeq
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuree....

or should I shay: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuraahh.

Sadako of Girth
LOL laughing out loud No Im more hardcore than that. stick out tongue

queeq
Hardcore eh? You talk the talk, but do you walk the walk?

Sadako of Girth
Pussies walks that walk. Im of course, more hardcore than that.

queeq
More even, you say, hmmmm?

Sadako of Girth
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hard that core is.

queeq
Show off.

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
Im as hardcore as the UK MPs are untrustable at filling out their expenses. Nuff said. lolz

queeq
Untrustable.... ooooooookay.... wink

Sadako of Girth
Oh yeah for real.... They are being exposed left, right and center over here right now. yes

Dirty, filthy, corrupt theiving bastards on all sides with their hands all in the money draw. And for the 1st time in ever the people have the concrete evidence and heads are rolling (not in the mortal, life ending sense).

So if the hardcoreness is directly proportionately equal to their near infinite corruptness, then the implication is that the hardcore mass is equal to that of a Red Dwarf or maybe at least Jupiter.

queeq
That actually makes sense.

Sadako of Girth
Oh yeah and todays election results are reflective of that. Really apathetic turnout.

Still, like I and millions of others (except Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman it seems) thought they would, Labour still got seven shades of shit kicked out of them.

Rightly so.

The party is in ruins. Brown cannot be in charge when the General Elections are held, if Labour want to stand even the slightest chance.
And a slight chance it would be. I guarantee that if voting is unmolested, Cameron is the next Prime Minister.

queeq
Unless he resigns, then you don't need elections. And then Brown came and went without ANY elections... quite a unique effort. hehehe

Sadako of Girth
Hehee yeah exactly.

He should be prosecuted for all that he has allowed under him as leader. From 'Peers for Honours' to the expenses fiasco, which he as PM was aware of the whole time like the rest of them.

queeq
Of course he was. In wonder when his faulty expenses will surface.

Sadako of Girth
Precisely.

queeq
Found any yet?

Sadako of Girth
I wait like an expectant sewerage worker, waiting for the brown turtleshead to bob up and let us know why its unwise to swim with it.

queeq
Hehehe, good analogy.

Sadako of Girth
ty ty wink

*waits for the bobbing*

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>