Burn After Reading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

celestialdemon
The Coen Brothers are back in this dark comedy about an ousted CIA agent whose memoirs somehow fall into the hands of two less than intelligent gym employees. It has a fantastic cast (George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, Tilda Swinton, John Malkovich, and J.K. Simmons. The trailer looks great! I'm excited about this one.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/29/burn-after-reading-red-band-movie-trailer/

Myth
Looks interesting. I've always like Coen movies.

Impediment
I'll see it. It looks very interesting.

SnakeEyes
I have almost no doubt that this will be a good movie.

I'll definitely be seeing it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Looks good. There's a great cast, and I love it when Brad does that weirdo act.

MildPossession
ANYTHING with Tilda Swinton in gets me there. Plus this film looks soooooooooo my kind of thing, looks fab.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Nice Vertigo-esque poster...

http://www.cinematical.com/media/2008/06/bar1.jpg

ragesRemorse
wow, i already have a movie hard on and i haven't even seen a trailer.

MildPossession
I adore that poster, I want one!

Mairuzu
bump

chillmeistergen
Looking forward to it, a lot. I'm a massive fan of almost all of the Coen brothers' work.

BruceSkywalker
This is an interesting film. Looks good

moviebuff1084
This movie looks awesome even though i will watch anything by the Coen brothers.

snyk99
I was kind of reluctant to see this film. Because I didn't really know what to expect going in. The trailer was quite odd and the only thing had going for this flick for me anyways was the fact that Coen's bros. were behind it.

The film itself well is pretty odd, so I wasn't wrong about that, but the real question is whether the film is any good? Well depends on your point of you. If your looking for a film along the lines of Big Lebowski and O' Brother Where art Thou you will enjoy this film.

The film is a spy flick about how a little stupid mistake can make a whole mess of things that will cause more bigger messes. Along the way you will laugh at the absurdity of these characters and how they are making all these mistakes but yet be amazed by how much you'll end up actually enjoying the flick.

Mairuzu
Are you serious?

There is a thread RIGHT BELOW this one.....

i mean.... seriously..

Impediment
Merged.

In the future, snyk99, please look for existing threads before making a new one.

=Tired Hiker=
I can assure you, I will most likely possibly for sure unexpectedly purposefully go and see this movie in it's entirety when it comes out, I can assure you for sure.

Robtard
I'll be there Friday with my $10.50.

MildPossession
Why have you copied someones review of the film Snky99 whatever from Australia, I look on another board and the exact same post is on it and the person is from America, Minnasota... you have just edited it a bit, that really sucks when people do that and don't say it's someone elses.

Have you even seen it...

Mairuzu
Originally posted by MildPossession
Why have you copied someones review of the film Snky99 whatever from Australia, I look on another board and the exact same post is on it and the person is from America, Minnasota... you have just edited it a bit, that really sucks when people do that and don't say it's someone elses.

Have you even seen it... Who cares, he barely joined yesterday

doubt we'll even see him return

Mairuzu
Seeing it tonight

Wittig
today

Mairuzu
it was amazing and funny

some parts were a bit slow but it was a great film overall

i recommend seeing it now and not waiting for dvd

MildPossession
It's not out until October here.

SnakeEyes
I'll be seeing it tonight, then I'll post what I thought. I'm fairly sure I'll like it.

chillmeistergen
What did you think?

=Tired Hiker=
I heard from several people that I work with, people who generally have the same theatrical tastes as I, that this movie was disappointing. My status has changed from 'I will see it soon,' to 'I will wait for it to come out on dvd.'

chillmeistergen
Really? I heard the exact opposite from someone whose opinion I value a lot, so i reckon I'll check it out in the cinema, as soon as they bother releasing it over here.

=Tired Hiker=
There is one stipulation for me that might make me see it in theaters and that is if my wife picks it to be our next movie to see on movie/dinner night for the Hikers.

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I heard from several people that I work with, people who generally have the same theatrical tastes as I, that this movie was disappointing. My status has changed from 'I will see it soon,' to 'I will wait for it to come out on dvd.'

Watched it today; it wasn't very good, to my dissapointment.

The willy dialogue that one comes to expect from a Coen's movie was almost non existant. Had few moments here and there, but it was no TBL, RA or OBWAT. It also didn't have the edge of Fargo or Blood Simple.

chillmeistergen
That makes me sad.

Robtard
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
That makes me sad.

Considering the recipe of Coen brothers, Clooney, Pitt, McDormand and Malkovich, it was very sad.

I'll just add this to the short list of Coen movies I don't care for:

Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers (turned off after 20-25 mins)
Burn After Reading
(The Man Who Wasn't There - never watched)
(Barton Fink - didn't watch in full)

Hopefully their next film A Serious Man, which is listed as a black comedy, will be great.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
What did you think?

It was enjoyable. Wasn't a flop like Intolerable Cruelty/Ladykillers, but it wasn't as good as say... Fargo. It definitely seemed like the Coen Bros wanted to make a purely fun movie after tackling No Country for Old Men, (the latter being pretty serious subject matter), and I'd say that they succeeded. I saw this with my dad and we both liked it. The performances were all spot-on, especially Pitt imo, who was hilarious in a few scenes. There's enough plot to justify the comedy we see on the screen and that's about it, but I was okay with that. Bottomline, I liked it and it's worth giving a shot. I'll be watching it again.

Selphie
This movie was nuts. I truly enjoyed it. I actually let out a minor scream by how shocked I was at the end of the gym owner's life, I was not expecting that to happen out in the middle of the street, hahaha. I was also extremely shocked about what happened to Pitt's character, it was completely out of the blue, and for the next minute I was in denial, thinking, "No way, no way, it has to be a day dream, or someones imagination, that can't be real", but it obviously was. Amazing and hysterical movie!

AngryManatee
I was blazed when I saw it. Got confused a couple times erm

Mairuzu
you think its a schwinn!

MildPossession
Did Tilda Swinton have a big role in it or was in it enough to keep me happy? she normally takes the smaller roles in such cast films, big fan of her.

Unlike say, Broken Flowers, was looking forwards to seeing her in that and she was in it for like 4 minutes...

Robtard
Originally posted by MildPossession
Did Tilda Swinton have a big role in it or was in it enough to keep me happy? she normally takes the smaller roles in such cast films, big fan of her.

Unlike say, Broken Flowers, was looking forwards to seeing her in that and she was in it for like 4 minutes...

Decent sized role, but she didn't do anything worthwhile with it.

=Tired Hiker=
Saw this finally, I thought the best scenes were the ones with J.K. Simmons and David Rasche. All in all, it was just an okay movie. Thinking back, there seems to have been many great scenes, but they were few and far between. Brad Pitt was rather humorous, Clooney was good, I liked most of the performances, except for Frances McDormand who's acting I found annoyingly contrived. The final outcome was humorous in that one could say that the whole movie was all just about a woman who wanted to get a face lift and a tummy tuck.

liraelle
brad pitt was the bomb, he got so into the role he's like, seriously talented shit. i hated it when he died and frances mcdormand was boring.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Saw this finally, I thought the best scenes were the ones with J.K. Simmons and David Rasche. All in all, it was just an okay movie. Thinking back, there seems to have been many great scenes, but they were few and far between. Brad Pitt was rather humorous, Clooney was good, I liked most of the performances, except for Frances McDormand who's acting I found annoyingly contrived. The final outcome was humorous in that one could say that the whole movie was all just about a woman who wanted to get a face lift and a tummy tuck. awesome

andanotherthing
I was expecting a little more to the story, but I think it's strength is that the plot is so streamlined. Clooney was my favorite in the film.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by liraelle
brad pitt was the bomb, he got so into the role he's like, seriously talented shit. i hated it when he died and frances mcdormand was boring.

Nice one, you absolute retard, you've just ruined the movie for me. Use spoiler tags, for ****'s sake.

Altar[1stONE]
2nd movie this year that i walked out of, the other was tropic thunder.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Altar
2nd movie this year that i walked out of, the other was tropic thunder.

Can you just not stand entertainment or something?

Altar[1stONE]
guess i should go see a doctor...

MildPossession
Do! Neither of those films were bad enough to walk out of...

I saw Burn After Reading today, and like a lot of people I was quite disappointed. sad Tilda Swinton was wasted too. You know, as much as I like McDormand(sp?) I would have loved to have seen Tilda Swinton in that role instead.

The bit with Brad Pitt that was spoilt was rather good though, but as soon as he got in the wardrobe and Clooney came in I knew Pitt was going to get shot, was shocked it was in the head lol, as soon as Pitt did that awkward hilarious smile, dead.

rockycairns
I saw it the other night, brilliant movie and Brad Pitt practically steals the show.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm a big fan of the Coens' earlier movies (Blood Simple, TBL, OBWAT, etc.), but this was one of the most boring movies I've seen in YEARS! I couldn't wait for it to end! Most of dialogue was cringe-worthy, the plot was dull, and everyone was over-acting, but not in a funny way.

It was utter crap.

ragesRemorse
Yeah, i agree. I too was rather bored. The story was ok but there wasn't much there to give the characters an opportunity to develop. It is a very simple story told through an overly complex weaving of subplots. The biggest disappointment for me were the characters. I think the actors did a good job with the material but with that said the characters felt contrived and synthetic to me. The most charming aspect about Coen brother movies are always the eccentric charcters but the characters in this movie felt like parodies. Infact, the entire movie almost felt like a very subtle parody of Coen brothers movies.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Haha, yeah...It was like one of those stupid 'Genre Movie' parodies. It should have been called 'Coen Brothers Movie'. It was like the actors had a little shrimp in their brains telling them, "Be a little quirky here, and say your lines in an irritating way". Just garbage. I can't remember the last movie that made me annoyed to have spent the money on a couple of tickets...Wait...Actually, I think it was 'The Village', but I even liked that more than this!

SnakeEyes
Recently watched this again and, like before, enjoyed it once more! I don't see what all the hate is about really. Sure it's not the Coens' best film, but bad? Not in my opinion. Like TH said though, I did find Frances McDormand to be kind of annoying. Pitt, Clooney and Malkovich were all great though. Also, Tilda Swinton gets on my nerves.

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I did find Frances McDormand to be kind of annoying. Pitt, Clooney and Malkovich were all great though. Also, Tilda Swinton gets on my nerves.

Kinda strange that you said that, because i thought the exact same thing. And its been happening more then once, where the supporting actresses are killing certain movies. Like in the curious case of benjamin butthead . I found brad pitt performance nicely executed. But cate blanchett was annoying the fart outta me, with those big smelly feet of hers. Maybe it had something to do with the overly crowded theatre, cause i was forced to sit so damn close to the screen that night. She got the maggie gyllanhall treatment, where they looked hot in other films but in these ones got hit with the ugly stick. Like their faces caught on fire and someone put them out with an ice pick. As for tilda swinton , why has she been popping up everywhere lately, like a morgan freeman or somethin. Ugh i just dont get it.

ps( dont mind the spelling errors on the names, they're just not important enough to remember). Happy Dance

fruits
Burn After Reading was one of my favorite films of the year, I loved it! Brad Pitt really stole the show everytime he was on screen and Clooney was perfect!

vivando-loca
i can't decide if i like this movie or not.

it's freakin' hilarious, no doubt, but it's...nothing. absolutely nothing was accomplished throughout the whole thing, which i know was the point but it's like..."okay, now what?"

idk, at the end i really liked it, but while i was watching it, i was like, "why did i buy this?"

it's a movie you really have to see, it's a bit indescribable (at least for me).

Master Crimzon
Absolutely hilarious movie. Most tragically underrated film of the year.

Icy Ninja
Haven't seen this yet but one of my best friends said the movie was really bad and really stupid but I still want to see just for one scene he told me about if I can't find it on youtube.

moviefanatic04
did this already come to dvd? missed it in the theaters and really wanted to see it.

Movie tragic
Funny film. Better than i thought it would be.

DeVuL
I've been trying to rent this mother lover outta the redbox for the last month, and it's really starting to upset me that I can never find it.... ugh! Looking forward to it though... big grin

Howard Beale
Really funny dark comedy, another absolute success from the Coens. Pitt is just fantastic and provides almost as many laughs as Downey Jr. in TT, also clooney and Malkovich are entertaining and add their bit. Frances McDormand is fine, not great. Although I think the great J.K. Simmons has been going unnoticed in his fantastic cameo appearence as the FBI head.
all in all, funny, fast paced, and most importantly ludicrous. 8/10

K.Diddy
beer I really dont see why the critics rated this movie so highly,I seen it when it first came out,then came across it at the videoshop the other day and thought I would see it again,just to see if I were missing something....I weren't erm It entertained me I guess,but this film deserves nowhere near the credit that it has got,I found all the characters expect Clooneys annoying and irritating,yes thats Including the moron pitt was playing as well,and didn't really find the movie funny at all,Maybe 1 or 2 parts were worth a slight chuckle, how anyone can label this movie humorous though,is kinda beyond me erm Apart from maybe 1 or 2 standout scenes,the movie really felt like a waste of time.

MildPossession
Indeed, probably the Coens' weakest film.

ADarksideJedi
As much as I love Brad Pitt I never really got into this movie and got very confused in most parts.I will have to watch it again to see if I get it.

Nephthys
This movie sucked hardcore. Not even nearly funny, I switched it off about half-way through.

Esau Cairn
Clooney's invention was the highlight of the film.

Dildoes make me laugh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.