Adaptation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Max Power
Anybody heard the buzz on this movie? I didn't even know it existed until I caught the trailer before Punch Drunk Love. Now I am all sorts of psyched about it.

I mean, first of all, hi. Written and directed by Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman. The same two guys who did Being John Malkovich.

And this one looks even more intriguing. I'll be honest, I didnt' even understand what the movie was about when I first saw the trailer. I had to download it from Yahoo! and see it again. Looks like Kaufman is doing the same mix of reality and fiction in his films. The man has actually written himself into the script -- as a screenwriter who writes himself into a script. It kind of reminds me of that mirror reflecting a mirror effect. AND he's made up a fake twin brother? Not too shabby.

ToMacco
I hope it's good. Nick Cage has a act to make shitty movies lately. But it looks good.

finti
if its anything like being John Malkovic I aint gonna see it

Dim
It was interesting. I liked the idea..it lulled a bit in the middle. My boyfriend really liked it so maybe I didn't get it..or didn't appreciate the chase through the swamp.

..I thought Being John Malkovich was brilliant.

finti
I rather paint my house..

Max Power
I wonder how similar it is to Being John Malkovich? I liked that movie a lot but I'm definitely not looking for a replication of it when I see Adaptation. I just trust that Jonze/Kaufman are giving us something original and interesting. And from what I've heard, that's pretty much what we get.

I've heard that there's a huge plot surprise 2/3 through?

gr8sammich
I just saw that Nic Cage was nominated for a Golden Globe for this and that it was nominated for Best Screenplay too. Both Charlie and Donald Kaufman were nominated which is pretty cool since if I undestand correcly, one of them doesn't really exist?

I loved BJM. I am definitely going to check this one out.

finti
how about Andy Kaufman?

Hey, Andy did you hear about this one?
Tell me, are you locked in the punch?
Hey Andy are you goofing on Elvis? Hey, baby. Are we losing touch?
If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon.
If you believe there's nothing up my sleeve, then nothing is cool." - REM

Max Power
Did Donald Kaufman seriously get nominated for a Golden Globe? That's hilarious. I noticed the movie was "dedicated" to him as well. It cracks me up that a fictional person is getting so much attention. I wonder how much Spike Jonze had to do with this -- seeing as he was a big part of all the pranks for Jackass and even produced it. Seems right up his alley.

Saw the movie, Finally! I thought it was good. Not exactly what I expected but I would still recommend it to other people. The plot twist towards the end took me off guard, but it all makes sense when I think about it. It's definitely a self-aware movie. My sister keeps calling it the "meta movie" but she really liked it too. It was nice to see a movie that wasn't all obvious from the beginning.

Dexx
nvr heard of it.
being john malkovitch was great though

BackFire349
i heard it was very pretentious and is only liked by people who want to sound smart. looks kinda lame.

Dexx
hey...fits me, i'd do anything to sound smart smile

finti
too bad nothing helps though .big grin

Zed
A read somewhere that this movie is "post modernistic masturbation" cinema.

When I watched the movie I enjoyed it, was really interesting, and the movie rips it self intentionally.

Thought it was very imaganitive and interesting to watch.

What did you lot think of Nicolas Cage, he did accomadate the role but just pulled it off, initial reaction of him is weak but he does pull it off by the end.

And Chris Cooper is fantastic in this.

Max Power
I thought Chris Cooper blew everyone else out of the water in this one. It was a totally seamless performance.

I really enjoyed what Nic Cage did. I think he deserves most of the positive talk he's been getting about playing Charlie and Donald. It's good to see him being edgy again. Like back in the Moonstruck and Raising Arizona days.

And Meryl Streep was amazing as usual.

Zed
True, Cage was brill in Raising Arizona, this is a movie that was very well executed, and he was good in it.

Ending was a little messed up, but added to the apathetic nature of the script

Max Power
apathetic how?

I am torn over the ending. I can't decide if it's (the real) Charlie Kaufman poking fun at Hollywood, making the ending a satire and kind of meta mocking.

Or if it's a reflection of Charlie (the character) asking his brother Donald to help write the script.

Did you notice at that point that suddenly Donald shows up as the smart man in charge? There was a point when his character definitely shifted. Perhaps that's a reflection of Donald writing about himself in the script?

And if that was the case, why did he die?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.