Manga vs. Comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

I.R. New
STORYWISE: Manga wins
The difference in the stories between manga and comics is, that a comic usually works like this: some tragic teenager gets super powers, then villains all of a sudden starts showing up. In mangas, the stories are variating and unpredictable. Of course, comics like Dragonball are pretty predictable. But take Naruto. Who had expected Sasuke to go evil? That the whole plot was all Itachi's plan? That Jiraiya would die? That Naruto would not beat the Chuunin exams? And now, a LOT of surprises will happen, due to a whole 4 final villains being involved (Madara, Pein, Sasuke, Kabuto). We could also talk about Death Note, which also owns comics.

BATTLEWISE: Manga wins
American comics lasts 1-2 panels and they never makes sense. Also, it's all about skills, speed, power... No interesting powers. One character can beat another. Training would not affect the results. In manga, a lot of unexpected things happens and the battles are longer, better detailed, and there are more interesting powers. Take Goku vs Vegeta. They fight directly, Goku is hopelessly outmatched. Goku uses Kaioken, still behind. He goes desperate and uses Kaioken 3x, dominating. Vegeta goes mad and they stalemates in a duel of beams. Vegeta now goes Oozaru. It looks hopeless for Goku, but he uses Vegeta's weak spot, inability to sense ki, to get away and load up an genkidama. Goku fails in the end, but the battle was variating and exciting, as opposed to the comic "trade blows, the one with the most fanboys wins"- kinda fights.

CHARACTERWISE: Draw
There are never any depth or interesting burdens on the characters in comics. "I feel like I must save the world!"... In manga, they variate a lot more, but on the other hand, manga characters aren't as realistic as comics, so let's call it a draw.

Astner
Storywise, it depends on the author. Usually a manga is drawn and told by a single person, which result in better quality as he've made up his mind about every character and how they will part take in the storyline.
So manga have an advantage here.

Battlewise, the characters in manga are drawn for effect in battles and alike. You can see that in One Piece, where the characters though looking cheesy can give awesome effects in battle. You can almost feel the hits landed. Of course now all manga are aboue battle--and there are good comic battles too. I'd say it's up to the reader to decide, no objective aswer can be given.

Characterwise, as for drawing comics has the majority--they're restricted to human anatomy and drawn very human like with the right proportions matching it. Though I prefer the style in Final Fantasy art as the characters look better than real humans--see final fantasy Advent Children. As for depth, manga characters don't varry due to the change of author, making them more stable--I'd give it to the manga characters.

Alucard25
Manga and Anime in general seem to be either teen finds some hidden power in him and gets joined by others with similar powers and fight teh bad guys or just substitute mecha for hidden powers.Or some hopeless loser somehow gets surrounded by several women all wanting him.

I.R. New
Originally posted by Alucard25
Manga and Anime in general seem to be either teen finds some hidden power in him and gets joined by others with similar powers and fight teh bad guys or just substitute mecha for hidden powers.Or some hopeless loser somehow gets surrounded by several women all wanting him.

Dragonball. A alien has to fight off villains, gather Dragonballs and other objectives. Difficulities and circumstances, to not mention extremely variating and cool fights, makes this all it need.

And for the girl thing, read Sex=Love2 and see how dramatic and funny such a genre actually can be.

I.R. New
Originally posted by Astner
Storywise, it depends on the author. Usually a manga is drawn and told by a single person, which result in better quality as he've made up his mind about every character and how they will part take in the storyline.
So manga have an advantage here.

Battlewise, the characters in manga are drawn for effect in battles and alike. You can see that in One Piece, where the characters though looking cheesy can give awesome effects in battle. You can almost feel the hits landed. Of course now all manga are aboue battle--and there are good comic battles too. I'd say it's up to the reader to decide, no objective aswer can be given.

Characterwise, as for drawing comics has the majority--they're restricted to human anatomy and drawn very human like with the right proportions matching it. Though I prefer the style in Final Fantasy art as the characters look better than real humans--see final fantasy Advent Children. As for depth, manga characters don't varry due to the change of author, making them more stable--I'd give it to the manga characters.

Battlewise, comics are one-sided and the battles aren't exciting at all.

Alucard25
You sound extremely bias.

I.R. New
You sound extremely bias.

I'm not bias, but this is just fact. Story: manga. Battles: manga. Characters: a matter of preference, but I say draw. Manga got more variation in it's characters, but comic characters are more realistic.

Alucard25
No its not fact its your opinion thats it nothing more case closed.

Alucard25
Manga does not have more variation its the same type of characters and stories over and over again just different looks and settings.

I.R. New
No its not fact its your opinion thats it nothing more case closed.

A battle that lasts 2 panels and don't makes sense is not as good as a long, dramatic battle filled with surprising twists and cool designs and variation.

Therefore, manga wins by fact, battle wise. Storywise, comics are just one big mess from different authors where as manga is one planned story from one author. Therefore, manga also dominates story.

But comic characters are more realistic, so you could argumentate for them winning, through I prefer manga characters.

Alucard25
2 panels I have rarely seen a battle in a comic that only lasts 2 panels.And I would prefer a battle that lasted a few pages than some long ass drawn out fight that seems to be more talking that actual fighting.As I said you just sound very biased passing your opinion off as fact.

I.R. New
2 panels I have rarely seen a battle in a comic that only lasts 2 panels.And I would prefer a battle that lasted a few pages than some long ass drawn out fight that seems to be more talking that actual fighting.As I said you just sound very biased passing your opinion off as fact.

Manga fights are more variable, the talking is for the drama and understanding of the reader. Manga fights are on a whole other level, it's more advanced battles. But show me a good, long comic battle.

Soljer
Originally posted by I.R. New
A battle that lasts 2 panels and don't makes sense is not as good as a long, dramatic battle filled with surprising twists and cool designs and variation.

Therefore, manga wins by fact, battle wise. Storywise, comics are just one big mess from different authors where as manga is one planned story from one author. Therefore, manga also dominates story.

But comic characters are more realistic, so you could argumentate for them winning, through I prefer manga characters.

I've read comic battles that span entire issues. I've read manga fights that are over in a single panel.

You make a false generalization.

I.R. New
Originally posted by Soljer
I've read comic battles that span entire issues. I've read manga fights that are over in a single panel.

You make a false generalization.

Comics are just so onesided. One character can defeat another. It's pure ABC logic and there is no strategy, as their powers either lies in martial arts or abstract powers.

Oh, and tell me some of those comics. Manga battles are generally much longer than comic battles, and that's just a fact I gladly would prove. Mention some long comic battles and their lenght, I will mention more manga battles and their lenght.

Raoul
closing this, as i see no reason to keep it open...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.