Temple of Doom VS Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spartan005
Both movies are considered by most people to be the worst of the series, so which one do you prefer?

queeq
ToD

Jovan
it's hard to chose but perhaps Temple is a bit worse

queeq
Nah..

Sadako of Girth
Temple is the way superior, way more classic Indy Movie.

Without a doubt.

KOTCS can suck my balls at the best of times,

but especially when compared to "Temple of Doom".
(or any other of the original Trilogy)

Menetnashté
Crystal Skull imo. Temple of Doom's one saving grace was short round pwning nubs. But I liked both.

queeq
KOTC had no scene coming close to the hanging bridge scene in ToD. That alone gives ToD the victory.

Sadako of Girth
Or the comedy of the spike chamber...
Or that cool shoot out in Club Obi wan...
Or the mountain sequence (which still is more believeable that the shitty reprise they attempted in the latest.)
Or chilled Monkey brains....
Or charismatic, well written villians and sidekicks...
Or the movie being about Jones... (rather than some punk **** kid we just had forcibly introduced to us- short round was a walk in the park compared to Speilberg's "new special little friend" )
Or a genuine sense of peril/danger for the protagonists/heroes.

Or an exciting title.

Yes.

"Temple of doom" even sounds more impressive than "The kingdom of the crystal skull".

TOD all the way for me there.

willofthewisp
Charismatic is probably the last word I would use to describe Willie or Short Round, and if the evil bald guy (sorry, totally blanking on his name) has to resort on all that blood drinking/spell/voodoo-esque methods to gain followers, he's probably not that charismatic...but he's still got a little bit more charm than Donovan from The Last Crusade, lol.

queeq
Mola Ram.

Willie and Short Round sucked. But John Hurt's character and even Ray Winstone's were complete nonsense and irrelevant. That kinda evens those two out. Leaves us with all of Sadako's points. ToD wins.

Plutonic_Hat90
If nothing else Temple wins because Mola Ram was probably one of the scariest villains in movie history. Unlike general Spalko, who's most threatening scene was crushing an ant between her thighs.

no expression

queeq
Which was sexy though. wink

sindahouse
I don't quite understand what ppl's problem is. In the Lost Ark, they open an ark, weird things happen, people cook and die. Temple of Doom, a guys heart is ripped out, and he's still alive, Indy goes for one hell of a "roller coaster" ride, and then indy decides to cut a bridge in half, across two cliffs. In the Last Crusade, indy takes on the Nazi's, walks across nothing, finds the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH etc etc etc...

Peoples complaint about the new movie... "Ah, it was too far fetched."...

Hello, ITS ALWAYS TOO BLOODY FAR FETCHED...

I swear man, people expect too much from these classics. I loved it through and through. I don't care that survived at atomic explosion in a fridge, that his son learned how to be Tarzan, and that there are Aliens in the flick.... ITS ALWAYS BEEN BLOODY FAR FETCHED.

Critics!!! Honestly, just think b4 u speak.

Sadako of Girth
Oh the irony of that statement.
They already did, hence the conclusions made.

The other films walked the fine line between grounded believeable-at-not-too-much-of-a-stretch almost reality as far as Hero vulnerability was concerned, and the fanciful situations in action movies.

And on that last movie, the balance was upset and it didn't thrill, as those with perception and intelligence realised that this movie was a cynical grim parody of itself, and that we don't get tougher as we approach our mid sixties. Certainly not tough enough to withstand a nuke and being thrown a mile through the air and smashing down an embankment. From that point those who feel it important that their intelligence isn't insulted grossly during a film at repeated intervals would naturally have a grim view of said proceedings.

The bad reviews have been well earned on this movie.

Sorry for the tone, but I don't like being 'caps'ed at. smile

Plutonic_Hat90
Originally posted by sindahouse
I don't quite understand what ppl's problem is. In the Lost Ark, they open an ark, weird things happen, people cook and die. Temple of Doom, a guys heart is ripped out, and he's still alive, Indy goes for one hell of a "roller coaster" ride, and then indy decides to cut a bridge in half, across two cliffs. In the Last Crusade, indy takes on the Nazi's, walks across nothing, finds the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH etc etc etc...

Peoples complaint about the new movie... "Ah, it was too far fetched."...

Hello, ITS ALWAYS TOO BLOODY FAR FETCHED...

I swear man, people expect too much from these classics. I loved it through and through. I don't care that survived at atomic explosion in a fridge, that his son learned how to be Tarzan, and that there are Aliens in the flick.... ITS ALWAYS BEEN BLOODY FAR FETCHED.

Critics!!! Honestly, just think b4 u speak.

Ok but here's the deal. In raiders you have one scene thats far fetched, with that being the opening of the ark obviously. In temple there's the heart part, which was just awesome and still is one of the scariest scenes in movie history IMO (I was 7 when I first saw it) And in Last Crusade its <insert name here> rapidly aging along with the walking over nothing scene.

Then lets skip ahead to KOTCS:

Nuke/refrigerator scene
Mutt swinging through the jungle and then miraculously jumping back onto the jeep
Marion gunning the amphibious vehicle thing off the cliff, which lands on a tree, which slowly lowers them into the water, and then swings back killing several russians...
Aliens.
Falling off of 3 waterfalls, which would have been fine if someone got hurt or killed to show that they were actually in danger.
Aliens.

Its WAAAY more over the top then the original 3

willofthewisp
I don't think any of the Indiana Jones movies can be weighed against each other based on over-the-top moments or how far-fetched something is. All action movies are far-fetched. Sure, I'll give you the fact that I cringed when Mutt swings along with the little monkeys. But the 3 other movies are so far-fetched in that Indy ALWAYS comes out on top. You can even survive an Indy movie by extension. As long as you are on his side and don't double-cross him, you live. In spite of snakes, bugs, rats, Nazis, crazy cult people, a huge shirtless man punching you closer and closer to a propeller, jumping out of a plane on an inflatable life raft, being shot at constantly, poisonous darts blown at you by over 100 guys, driving a boat between two ships, flying a plane you don't know how to land and relying on seagulls to save the day, coming face to face with Hitler, and slicing an already questionable swinging bridge in two... you see what I mean?

KOTCS is in no way more far-fetched than the other movies, so to argue if it is better than Temple of Doom, you have to use a different criteria.

Plutonic_Hat90
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I don't think any of the Indiana Jones movies can be weighed against each other based on over-the-top moments or how far-fetched something is. All action movies are far-fetched. Sure, I'll give you the fact that I cringed when Mutt swings along with the little monkeys. But the 3 other movies are so far-fetched in that Indy ALWAYS comes out on top. You can even survive an Indy movie by extension. As long as you are on his side and don't double-cross him, you live. In spite of snakes, bugs, rats, Nazis, crazy cult people, a huge shirtless man punching you closer and closer to a propeller, jumping out of a plane on an inflatable life raft, being shot at constantly, poisonous darts blown at you by over 100 guys, driving a boat between two ships, flying a plane you don't know how to land and relying on seagulls to save the day, coming face to face with Hitler, and slicing an already questionable swinging bridge in two... you see what I mean?

KOTCS is in no way more far-fetched than the other movies, so to argue if it is better than Temple of Doom, you have to use a different criteria.

yes the other ones are also far-fetched, but KOTCS is easily the most far-fetched. But if you want me to use different criteria then fine, these are all the other reasons why I didn't enjoy this movie nearly as much as the other ones:

The villain was not at all threatening.
It never felt like anyone in the movie was in danger.
The overall tone of the film seemed to be aimed more at kids then adults and old fans of the movies.
There was WAY too much CGI, which usually I don't mind however the Indy series was always known for its awesome stuntwork so that kind of sucked.
The ant scene was a blatant mummy rip off... which is ironic because a lot of people say that the mummy series is a rip off of indiana jones. Aliens.
Some terrible jokes/one liners
The ending was exactly the same as Raiders and Crusade: bad guys find mystical item or whatever, use it and then die.
Aliens.
And finally WAY too much CGI

Sorry, I just like to reinforce some points lol

Compared to most action/adventure movies that come out nowadays, KOTCS still blows most of the competition out of the water (especially national treasure) but as far as Indy movies go, it sure as hell isn't up to par even with the sequels IMO

queeq
KOTCS also expains too much. That's what makes it farfetched and not very mysterious either. In the other three very little is explained and left to the imagination.

willofthewisp
This is going to sound more argumentative than it is, but can you provide an example, queeq?

queeq
Well, KOTC is the example.

Ask yourself: how do we know the Ark was the genuine Ark? Due to some uncheckable mysterious events... that's it. Nothing much hard evidencewise.
The Shankara stones: what are they? What do they do? Bring prosperity... very very vague. A true McGuffin.
The Grail: what about it? A simple cup that gives you everlasting life if you stay inside a cave for the remainder of your life.

The items lead to lessons learned, they themselves matter not.
In KOTC there's the skull, it comes from Roswell from aliens. It can read minds, give power over minds, it leads to the spaceship of the owenrs who taught men to grow crops and be civilised. And then the spaceship takes off. But there was one, it's clear aliens visited the earth, taught us all we know and had superior intelligence and technology. All this is extremely factual in comparison to the other three. And that makes it rather lame.

Sadako of Girth
Excellent points.

The mystery in movies is a regular casualty these days, thanks to various factors including over PRing and too much "must program for the lowest demoninator so everyone must heff ze fun, okay?" thinking.

Same with personalities in music today.
No mystery about the people in music these days.
Back in the 30s and 50s, you would have had to wonder about the song or the person, yet in these days of multimedia and Magazines that exist to sell more magazines, you've probably known the inside leg measurements of an artist and read 8 interviews about the row they had with the wife last night or whatever before you've heard a tune. Their egotism counts secondarily to their music, if they are musicians imo. stick out tongue

Same problem in J-Horror remakes in the US too.

The mystique and weirdness and unansweredness is forsaken for whatever glossy, neat, white-teethed, demographically constructed conclusion they can put an unrequited, generic, unsolicited orchestra burst at; Regardless of the impact on the meaning of the whole movie/genre like "The Eye".

Package Package Package.
Sell Sell Sell.

But what are we selling? Ahhhh who cares. We'll just market the f**** out of it, using its previous good name until every man, women and child on earth is terrified that they might miss something really special if they don't see the movie....and then its too late for them...

Temple of Doom didn't need the amount of multimedia hype that this movie got.

Cause it ruled.

Word of mouth got round that it was good, because it was.
It rocked. It was dark, it was genuinely suspenseful and action packed.

Not because we sat through half hour of the movie's own director telling you why he feels that its the second coming of the hero from the genuinely good originals...... when in fact its not and its primarily a launch pad for Shia LeBeouf and whatever CGI company is doing the job that week.

If the movie was a quality one, Speilberg coulda just released the movie, shut up about it and it'd have sold itself.

Oh well, like they say: "An empty can rattles the most."

queeq
Hehehe... Sadako really hates it.

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

queeq
I'm reading The Making of Indiana Jones. Quite an entertaining read, of course I haven't gotten to the KOTCS bit. wink

Sadako of Girth
Well, if it has a section on KOTCS, then I'd say that that was mighty considerate of the publishers to include pages that double up as Lavatory paper...

Just in case you get caught paperless as you read upon the loo. stick out tongue

queeq
Nah, it looks nice. Good read.

An interesting passage in the Raiders chapters is that during editing George Lucas removed a scene from Raiders he felt was over the top. It's when Indy and Marion climb out of the Well of Souls. An Arab sees them emerging from the tomb and faints. I'd say: good call, George. But then, isn't this the same guy that wrote all the poop jokes in TPM??? WTF happened?

Jovan
he got infantile?

Sadako of Girth
Yep. The Gophers and Monkees and Indy having to now be falling over with flailing arms, cartoon style ("He can't even stand straight now cuz hes old now...thats funny..... hyuck hyuck hyuck..."wink saw it get worse.

queeq
Bizarre... he should read up on these Making Of... books of SW and Indy.

Sadako of Girth
Id love to get those "The making of"s.

It will happen. yes

queeq
They're great. Good inside info, not all glowing and positive. And great pics and print quality.

Sadako of Girth
Sounds great from a balancist POV too then.

Even better. yes

queeq
It's made in name of Lucasfilm, but that's how you get all the good pics, sketches and other goodies.

Sadako of Girth
big grin

queeq
I know... I'm a kid in a toy store.

Jovan
are you sure of the "in a toy store" part? stick out tongue

queeq
It is when it comes to these lovely books.

ragesRemorse
Temple of Doom was silly, but the silliness was a product of the character and whimsical style that the director chose for the movie. The movie always felt confident of itself and even when the whimsy fell flat, (which it did, often) the story was still rooted in character development and practical filmmaking. With a mature tone, interesting characters and good directing. Most people are able to overlook the extreme silliness because there is much more to enjoy in the movie other than a parody of it's characters and history.

The Crystal Skull, was not whimsical or silly, it was just bad. The movie has no redeeming qualities, not even for nostalgia sake. As a film and as a film fan. One cannot overlook how poorly made the movie is. The movie is almost insulting. From the beginning you can feel that the filmmakers had an over abundance of confidence in their work. I TRULY believe that it was not the quality of work they felt confident about, but the fact that they knew people were going to pay to see this movie on franchise status alone. It took a long time for the plot to work itself out. This is mainly due to horrible writing. The plot twist is revealed to us before the middle of the movie, leaving no intrigue or mystery. The scenario's they found for Indy felt like a parody of his previous adventures. There was no character connection or development. For about the first twenty minutes of the movie you were able to fool yourself into believing that the hysteria might work itself out into a refined story and kick into an actual indy adventure. This is, where i believe that Speilberg lost all influence what so ever. Because, the first and second half of the movie feel like two completely different concepts CRAMMED into one movie The Film felt like it was shot by amateurs. No other filmmakers would be allowed to get away with delivering such a poor quality film. Not even the special effects were worth while. Infact, the special effects, at times are on par with dragon wars. Isn't this supposed to be lucasfilms? Maybe, Lucas shouldn't have ditched his models and decided to work soley with CGI. Harrison fords attempts and shia lebeouf are the only two things worth watching in this sorry excuse for a movie.

I choose Temple of doom wink

queeq
Me too.

Sadako of Girth
Nicely summed up, Rages. smile

queeq
I sent it to Spielberg. wink

aaronspirit
Temple of Doom.....Ofcourse

queeq
Of course.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by queeq
I sent it to Spielberg. wink

Did he take note...?

Will we see an amended version released...? shifty

queeq
His lawyers will contact you.

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue Yay...!!!!

An actual face to scream my complaints at..!!!!

Fortunately my sentiments are backed up by the sanity so evident in the poll score right now.

Captain REX
Honestly, who clicked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as superior to Temple of Doom? That is horribly wrong... I should edit it...

I did not flinch and die as Sadako did during his viewing of the film, but I certainly agree with all his points. At first the nuclear scene was one of those "Oh shit, he's going to be nuked, PANIC!" scenes... but its resolution was ridiculous. I don't care if the refrigerator IS lined with led, why isn't it melted scrap?! I would have preferred if Indy had tripped some sort of sensor or something that indicated there was someone in the blast zone.

I don't even know.

J.P Jaeh_Poole
I'd take ToD any day.

That horrible sci-fi crap didn't fit in. Nothing fit in. It was horrible. Just horrible.
I don't even see IJ as sci-fi- I mean, heck, KOTCS is sci-fi- Aliens? What the bloody hell were they thinking?! I've always thought IJ's more of a adventure-history stuff and all that... But sci-fi? What the hell!

What the bloody hell were they thinking when they made this movie?

Bardock42
Hahahaha, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a million times worse. Fact.

queeq
Originally posted by J.P Jaeh_Poole
I'd take ToD any day.

That horrible sci-fi crap didn't fit in. Nothing fit in. It was horrible. Just horrible.
I don't even see IJ as sci-fi- I mean, heck, KOTCS is sci-fi- Aliens? What the bloody hell were they thinking?! I've always thought IJ's more of a adventure-history stuff and all that... But sci-fi? What the hell!

What the bloody hell were they thinking when they made this movie?

It's Lucas, dude.... it's Lucas.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Captain REX
Honestly, who clicked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as superior to Temple of Doom? That is horribly wrong... I should edit it...

I did not flinch and die as Sadako did during his viewing of the film, but I certainly agree with all his points. At first the nuclear scene was one of those "Oh shit, he's going to be nuked, PANIC!" scenes... but its resolution was ridiculous. I don't care if the refrigerator IS lined with led, why isn't it melted scrap?! I would have preferred if Indy had tripped some sort of sensor or something that indicated there was someone in the blast zone.

I don't even know.

Thank you Rex.

I'd buy the last minute sensor thing a million times more easy and like you say, tension could be generated in the scene enough to convey the constant fear of nuclear blasts that would have soaked minds of people in the fifties.

Queeq, did you say that the fridgenuking was in Darabont's script..?
'Cause that kinda would make Lucas AND Darabont jointly responsible with Speilberg for the fridgidaire related shenanigans at least... (If Speilberg wasn't man enough to stand up to Lucas over this and many other terrible issues with that movie, then he is still just as guilty.)

queeq
Hold on before you start pointing the finger.

a) Yes, the fridge nuking is in the Darabont script
but...

b) Lucas makes up the story... he says what he wants in it. And Spielberg kinda adds stuff here and there (usually the better elements). So who's to blame for the nuke-fridge scene? I dunno. Could have been Lucas pushing it.

Sadako of Girth
So Spielberg isnt responsible as producer for the quality of the end product...?

queeq
No, I blame Lucas for everything. Even for War of the Worlds. stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
Well....Fair enough then.... lolz

I still am blaming Spielberg for the production errors in Fritz lang's Metropolis... stick out tongue

queeq
Which is fair. I mean, that robot is such a blatant copy of C-3PO, it's disgusting.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed. What a disgrace nicking Coruscant's design too..... stick out tongue

queeq
They should ban the guy from the director's guild. Along with Michael Bay.

Sadako of Girth
Especially Michael Bay. shifty

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
He couldn't direct his way of a nutsack. stick out tongue

queeq
He can direct explosions though.

Ever saw the british movie Hot Fuzz?

Sadako of Girth
Yup. He would have done well directing the last 10 mins of that film... :P

Except for if he had, his portion of the movie would have to cut away to a commercial for a the military devoting 98% of the movie to that instead of any relevant storyline/subject matter.

So yes, he could even screw up his own lampooning. stick out tongue

queeq
I think the Hot Fuzz guys did well imitating him. If Bay had directed it, it prolly wouldn't be as funny. Although... Pearl HArbour was a hilarious comedy.

Sadako of Girth
Agreed they did a blinding job. I couldn't have taken the piss more accurately with a high powered mocking rifle with a custard pie scope on it.

Ahhhhhh you see it where human beings/humanity gets involved that Bay falls down at the 1st hurdle and his work turns into a big embarrassing heap of clueless excrement.

queeq
And yet, they keep paying him for these enormous blockbusters.

Sadako of Girth
Well they do say 'money is the root of all evil' etc....

Their cash is the heavy drink session that allows Bay's urine to flow so readily over the art of the world.

Business' lack of place in the world of good art is highlighted beautifully in the case of Michael Bay.

queeq
laughing out loud

You dos os hate him... heheheh

TazzMission2023
tod was the worst. kotcs on the other hand was pure awsome. now keep in mind that the indy films are based on actualy historic items. speilberg did a great job on indy 4 but i do ask please DONT DO A 5TH. 4 is enough

Bardock42
Originally posted by TazzMission2023
tod was the worst. kotcs on the other hand was pure awsome. now keep in mind that the indy films are based on actualy historic items. speilberg did a great job on indy 4 but i do ask please DONT DO A 5TH. 4 is enough HAHAHAHAHAH, you though KOTCS was awesome? What's wrong with you, man?

queeq
He's 12?

Sadako of Girth
I'll have what hes smoking...
If its strong enough to temporarily derange the senses that much, then I'll have half an ounce... stick out tongue

TazzMission2023
He's 12?

im 25 buddy. get your facts right before you critisize

queeq
I wasn't stating a fact, I was asking a question. Thanks for the answer.

I'll have what you're smoking as well. wink

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by TazzMission2023
now keep in mind that the indy films are based on actualy historic items.
I believe Indy's line "If you believe that sort of thing" is key.

The movies are based on religious and cultural myths, certainly, but 'til someone turns up with the Ark as per film, and it does everything in the movie, the moviegoer cannot class it or the items seriously as 'historic'.

Same goes for the holy grail.

And the shankara stones.

(The Titanic is more of a historic item.
Exclude the Jack and Rose bullshit and it happened..
if you go to the grand banks and dive you can see a wreck as proof of this..)

Awesome movies with great old myths featured, sure, but history?
Nope not for me, thank you sir. stick out tongue

queeq
Indeed. The artifact have a historical background, but that's about it.

Sadako of Girth
And then they go screw the pooch that is called amassed credibility in this one by having a non-metallic crystal be able to exert implied magnetic force on metallic objects...!!!
The slagggggggggggggggggggssssssssssssssssss.
No where in history was that reported!
Double slagggggggggggggggggggggssssssssssssssss......!!!!!!!!

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
Not to mention that if someone HAD managed to take a nuke by getting in a fridge (and also simultaneously setting the fridge-powered-flight-air-speed-record, you'd think that that particularly noteworthy incident would have been jotted down somewhere...! stick out tongue

queeq
So how many people you think would actually try that on purpose.

Sadako of Girth
Well....this is where the makers of the movie will have to put their money where their mouths are... Go Speilberg!! Prove your shit to us..!!!

(I would have said Lucas, but his ego right now won't fit easily enough in that tight space.) stick out tongue

queeq
Since they already have the money they can choose where to put it.

deathbycorn
Temple of Doom is and always will be the best of the series to me.

Short Round for life.

queeq
The best? Hmm... that's a tad over the top for me.

Sadako of Girth
Since they already have the money they can choose where to put it.

True. And it still hurts.

Wont be getting any DVD or mechandise money from me anymore though.

queeq
I'll be getting the DVD. Me sucker.

Sadako of Girth
Well....One day it might make a fine ashtray. stick out tongue

queeq
I'm sure the cover will look very nice in my DVD collection.

Dataflux
I prefer Temple Of doom. But I didn't think it was a bad movie. Not a great one, certainly, but not a bad one.

Indy IV was just disappointing.

queeq
Twas.

shokosugi
KOTC was really a dissapointment. lame CGI, lame script, lame father and son chemistry...and the movie just felt, irellevant.

queeq
Unfortunately.

Nactous
Doom was soooo much better...

Sadako of Girth
As is sitting for 2hrs in front of my TV when it is switched off.

While having my face ripped off by an enraged Silverback.

With my 'landing gear' getting blown off with a shotgun.

While having a van thats on fire driven into my shins at 60mph.

Thats allllllllllllllllllllllllll still preferable to another sitting of that trite garbage. stick out tongue

queeq
But you will again.

darthmaul1
I went to see it with my 11 year old niece and we both really enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as Raiders or Last crusade, but it was better than TOD. I think that for the most part we were my nieces age when we saw the originals so it was so much more grand then, but now that we are more mature it's not as grand. i have to admit that i was kind of saying what the??? when Mutt was swinging in the trees but my niece liked it.

queeq
We all said "What the..."

Sadako of Girth
"..frack..!!!!" (as they say on BSG, or words to that effect... wink )

queeq
Frack?

Sadako of Girth
Oh you dont watch that show..?

It was their equivalent of "F*ck".

queeq
I figured as much.

Sadako of Girth
Its a great show, that.

They should have lent Indy IV some decent villians.
They may as well had Cylons since we we jumping the alien sharks already.

queeq
Sshhhh.... don't give Lucas any ideas.

Sadako of Girth
By your commannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.....

queeq
laughing out loud

And Christopher Lee as Balthar.

Sadako of Girth
Now that would be worth it if they were gonna 'go there'...

Marion Ravenwood could be the last Cylon: She would appear to Indy in his head like Six does with Baltar, with various nagging instructions and complaints about the decorating not getting done quick enough and stuff now that they are married..

She, due to her programming could then land a Cylon Baseship right up Mutt's ass in a galactic protest on behalf of the galaxy's cinema goers. stick out tongue

queeq
Now I'm sure Lucas has read this. The raping will continue...

Sadako of Girth
& quot;Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eee.....!!!!!!"

queeq
Pigs galore.

Sadako of Girth
And Banjos.

And Howard the Duck pinball machines.

queeq
Stop stop please... I can't take it ANYMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEE

Sadako of Girth
That went through my mind 12 mins into that stinker.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...!!!!!

stick out tongue

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
16 - 7 to the Temple of Doom...!!!!

Go Temple of Doom...!!!

queeq
Sounds like a landslide.

Sadako of Girth
One with real (or at least polystyrene) rocks.

Cause thats how they did things back then.

queeq
Thanks for the history lesson.

Sadako of Girth
While also referring to Spielberg's "Oh, we're doing it old school" then turning around and well........not doing it old school.

queeq
Yeah... that disappointed me a lot.

Sadako of Girth

queeq
Well, I wouldn't have minded some combo ingredients if the recipe weren't so crappy.

Sadako of Girth
LOL Well put. big grin

queeq
Lucas didn't.

Sadako of Girth
The co-fiend that he is to Speilberg.
Even though the burnt bun and substandard meat were Lucasian in origin, Spielberg was responsible for the mouldy lettuce and the past-it's-sell by-date-mayo.

queeq
Damn cook. I hope he cooks up a better one next time.

I shudder at the thought of an Indy5, although a little optimistic voice may whisper they may have learnt their lesson with Indy4.

Sadako of Girth
That they can release a substandard movie and folk'll just throw their money at it anyway because it holds the name 'Indiana Jones'..?

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
'Tis the DVD equivalent of leprosy.

queeq
laughing out loud

Although I do fear I will be buying the Blu Ray... hehehe

Sadako of Girth
Masochist. stick out tongue

Meh who am I to judge..?

I'll buy the bluray too......just not the disc of that film.
(Im keeping myself pure for 'Raiders'.....)
big grin

queeq
If we ever get that.

Sadako of Girth
Oh we will, I'm sure.

Its one of the biggest forgone conclusions in mankind's brief evolution thus far.

Especially now that they are on a raping/pillaging mission, desperately
trying to fleece every penny, before the world realises the franchise has been murdered...

queeq
We turn a blind eye. It's too much too fathom... *trying to get rid of mental picture of Lucas raping Indy on a pinball machine*

Sadako of Girth
Squeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal boyyyyyyy........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..........................!!

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

Ingonyama
Temple of Doom!

It may be my least favorite of the original movies, but between Mola Ram's OTT villainy, Short Round, and the, um...interesting take on Hindi mythology, it at least managed to thoroughly entertain me. ^_^

I highly enjoy it, except for the human sacrifice part (NIGHTMARE FUEL) and Willie Scott "INNNNNDEEEEEEEEEEE~!"wink >.<

Crystal Skull, on the other hand, was just...weird. It was great seeing Marion again, and watching there be a conclusion to Indy's adventures (therewillbenoIndyVtherewillbenoIndyVtherewillbeno
IndyV). But I just didn't get invested like I did when Indy was punching out Nazis and Thuggees and finding magic religious stuff.

I grew up on this series, though, and Temple of Doom was the first Indy movie I ever saw. So I may be kinda biased.

Sadako of Girth
Whilst I will always prefer Raiders, I've always thought Temple of Doom to be underrated by most.

the ninjak
I Freakin LOVED Temple of Doom! Hated Crystsl Skull.

I can't believe people consider these two to be equally bad. Madness.

Myth
Originally posted by Plutonic_Hat90
Ok but here's the deal. In raiders you have one scene thats far fetched, with that being the opening of the ark obviously. In temple there's the heart part, which was just awesome and still is one of the scariest scenes in movie history IMO (I was 7 when I first saw it) And in Last Crusade its <insert name here> rapidly aging along with the walking over nothing scene.

Then lets skip ahead to KOTCS:

Nuke/refrigerator scene
Mutt swinging through the jungle and then miraculously jumping back onto the jeep
Marion gunning the amphibious vehicle thing off the cliff, which lands on a tree, which slowly lowers them into the water, and then swings back killing several russians...
Aliens.
Falling off of 3 waterfalls, which would have been fine if someone got hurt or killed to show that they were actually in danger.
Aliens.

Its WAAAY more over the top then the original 3

I realize I'm posting to a way old post here, but I think the important distinction regarding believability is whether something was unbelievable because of something supernatural or if something was unbelievable within Earth's physics. What I mean by that is that there is an explanation for rapid aging from drinking out of the Holy Grail, or a man melting because of the Arc, and that explanation is sort of a "what if we found something magical." In the new movie, the hard to believe stuff was things like him surviving the nuke in the fridge (nothing supernatural to protect him, so he should be dead) or Mutt swinging by vines faster than the speeding vehicles. The alien stuff didn't bother me as much as it does other people. It may not be biblical or anything, but it is at least based on some theoretical beliefs that people have, which is a common theme among the movies so it fit for me.

Sadako of Girth
Im not sore about the aliens really, just the way that the MacGuffin was spoiled/given away in the 1st 20 mins.
It could have been awesome if was left to unfold at the rate that the other movies did.
Aliens, Arks, Shankara Stones, Grails etc etc are all potential paranormal things. Yet lets suppose they were all true:
They would have to be part of our natural universe, whether we currently understand their mechanics or the full mechanics of the universe at present or not. Not that the other movies were slavishly literal either, but we forgave the faux pas as the arose, due to how good the movies themselves were.

The rest of my complaints with the movie are like you say, physics and character/script based. Not that the other movies were slavishly literal either, but we forgave the faux pas as the arose, due to how good the movies themselves were.

C-3POTheClever
Temple of Doom without a doubt! I haven't seen any of them in ages, but thinking back on all of them, I think TOD might actualy be my favourite. My favourite would certainly be either TOD or TLC.

queeq
Not Raiders? That movie is darn near perfect.

sweersa
Temple of Doom was a lot better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in my opinion. I liked the soviet villains in the film though, I especially liked their AK-47 rifles. I'll have to save my quarters to get one of those someday smile

queeq
Uh-oh...

sweersa
Uh-oh...

Too late! I have two of them. smile

Semi automatic though, so that doesn't count as a real select fire AK. A legal full auto one would cost me about what Obi-Wan offered Han Solo to take him to Alderaan.

Too many quarters for me right now sad

My semi automatic G36 will keep me occupied though. The movie DOOM influenced me to get that. big grin

Bring on the demons!

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9127/dsc00115rv.jpg

This is what happens when an American boy watches too many movies as a child.

queeq
They should all be locked up.

sweersa
They should all be locked up.

I agree, mine are secure.

People especially with children should keep them in a safe or have trigger locks to prevent accidental death or injury.

Sadako of Girth
And most adults too.

Saves on mass shootings like the one in that Cinema and as well as the thousands of others.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
And most adults too.

Saves on mass shootings like the one in that Cinema and as well as the thousands of others.

There's been some more nutjobs at cinema's after that one.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>