Who In Marvel Is Closest To Superman in Speed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
Well I thought about making a Surfer vs. Supes in a race thread but I'm not sure. I've always heard Norrin's speed talked up a lot so I didn't want to risk a stomp.

So I then realized I didn't know anyone else who I'd say was close to Kal-El and could take a 50/50 from him in a race. So who is Supes' equal, or cloest match, speedwise in Marvel?

batmanfan136
ultimate quicksilver maybe 616 quicksilver, surfer there's probably alot more i can't think of

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by batmanfan136
ultimate quicksilver maybe 616 quicksilver i don't that's all i can think of right now that might be do it

Ultimate Quicksilver has done NOTHING that indicates he can hang with Superman in terms of speed. 616 Pietro is a joke.

Badabing
Superman has showed ftl travel recently. My Guess is Gladiator would be closest. Only know a few Sentry speed feats but he's also close. I guess in theory SS would be faster. Goob would have scans. Marvell has to be close. Thor can form space warps.

batmanfan136
what a bout in Ultimates 2 when he tore right thought the guy who also had super speed in the matter of seconds

Endrict Nuul
Northstar???

batdude123
Originally posted by Badabing
Superman has showed ftl travel recently. My Guess is Gladiator would be closest. Only know a few Sentry speed feats but he's also close. I guess in theory SS would be faster. Goob would have scans. Marvell has to be close. Thor can form space warps.

Recently?

He's done it many times before...

Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Northstar???

No.

ultimatethor
Silver surfers far faster, the runners also faster, Nova and gladiator are around his level.

OneDumbG0
I actually think that in travel speed, Gladiator is Superman's better...

... I could be wrong?

SuperiorTech
Originally posted by ultimatethor
Silver surfers far faster, the runners also faster, Nova and gladiator are around his level.

Nova?

The Illuminati
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
I actually think that in travel speed, Gladiator is Superman's better...

... I could be wrong?

Your not wrong, Superman has never been shown to be 100x FTL Glads has. Glads and SS for sure, not sure if anyone else would take the majority.

ultimatethor
Originally posted by SuperiorTech
Nova?

By around his level i mean can also hit FTL speeds. He probably is not downright faster dan supes though.

DigiMark007
Most cosmics can hit FTL comfortably. We don't have exact figures for most of them in terms of limits and such, so it's a lot of speculation except for the few we have definite numbers for. Most of the names being thrown around are as good a guess as any.

Thor has maxed at 3x lightspeed on panel, btw. I'm unfamiliar with teh space warps mentioned earlier....I only know that he can dimension-travel.

Ambient
Makkari or Thor maybe.. Gladiator, Runner, Nova, Binary for sure..

Mindset
What about Hyperion, does he have any speed feats?

guy222
Makkari
Runner

Galvaclaw
Originally posted by The Illuminati
Your not wrong, Superman has never been shown to be 100x FTL Glads has. Glads and SS for sure, not sure if anyone else would take the majority.

Supermans ftl feats from countdown and Infinite crisis put him at millions of times the speed of light. (Around a million for countdown much more for in infinite crisis)

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Galvaclaw
Supermans ftl feats from countdown and Infinite crisis put him at millions of times the speed of light. (Around a million for countdown much more for in infinite crisis) Hmmm... looking at Infinite Crisis #7, what travel speed feats are you referring to exactly? And which ones from 'Countdown to Infinite Crisis?'

Galvaclaw
Infinite crisis: Flies from Earth to Oa to Krypton.

Countdown. The issue light ray dies Superman turns up minutes late for a meteor storm and apologises because he was in Vega 25 light years away when he heard jimmy olsen signal watch.

Rorschach
I'd say Gladiator and Superman are pretty even in terms of speed.

Juntai
Infinite crisis: Flies from Earth to Oa to Krypton.

Countdown. The issue light ray dies Superman turns up minutes late for a meteor storm and apologises because he was in Vega 25 light years away when he heard jimmy olsen signal watch. thumb up

Scoobless
Countdown. The issue light ray dies Superman turns up minutes late for a meteor storm and apologises because he was in Vega 25 light years away when he heard jimmy olsen signal watch.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Light or radiowaves would take 25 years to travel that distance, sound would take centuries (if it could travel through space without fading) How exactly did he "hear" anything?

Juntai
Originally posted by Scoobless
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Light or radiowaves would take 25 years to travel that distance, sound would take centuries (if it could travel through space without fading) How exactly did he "hear" anything? Kryptonian tech=magic

Juntai
Plus Superman's hearing works on a different level as well. You and I in a room talking, the sound might travel 5 feet, bounce between the walls a couple times, and then be gone completely. However, Superman can be on the other side of the planet, and literally telescope his hearing INTO the room. Because surely the sound waves aren't actually traveling all the way to him while he stops a volcano or something equally as noise polluting.

Also, in a JLA issue, it stated he can hear crickets chirping from the moon or some such.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Juntai
Plus Superman's hearing works on a different level as well. You and I in a room talking, the sound might travel 5 feet, bounce between the walls a couple times, and then be gone completely. However, Superman can be on the other side of the planet, and literally telescope his hearing INTO the room. Because surely the sound waves aren't actually traveling all the way to him while he stops a volcano or something equally as noise polluting.

Also, in a JLA issue, it stated he can hear crickets chirping from the moon or some such.

That would indicate that his "super hearing" has nothing to do with sound then ... as that's just not possible.

Unnatural-POWER

He was also quoted as being able to hear 'dust settling on the surface of
Mars' in Kingdom Come IIRC?

Juntai
That would indicate that his "super hearing" has nothing to do with sound then ... as that's just not possible. Indeed, it must be however, there's just been two on panel instances mentioned in a couple of posts.

His senses are more akin to 'cosmic awareness', both in plot devicey-ness and application when he starts using them in unison.

spetznaz
That would indicate that his "super hearing" has nothing to do with sound then ... as that's just not possible.

BTW you have a point with the whole sound thing ....Kal can move many times faster than light, but the signal that went to the watch should never have reached him in time (at least for 25 years, assuming the signal travelled at C and did not dissipate).

Also about the sound issue ....thinking about it maybe his super-hearing has nothing to do with sound, as you say. After all, it is said he can hear an electron get shorn off the orbital shell of an atom. That is not something that can be registered using sound energy.

Anyways, it is kind of moot since we are talking about some character who can travel faster than C (meaning all physics get thrown out), but if i were a betting man i'd say that while his hearing is super, there is something about it that is beyond the mere cognition of sound waves.

Or ...as Juntai said ....it can be neatly wrapped up under Kryptonian tech.

Or maybe psionics.

Juntai
In For Tomorrow Superman heard Kyle from 'a million miles away' in space, while he was in bed.

" "Superman save me" The only thing I could hear. For you I imagine it would be like a gnat flittering just outside your ear. Barely a sound, but DEAFENING. "Superman. . . save me..." "

spetznaz
Just remembered something else ...what was that series where Gog would go around, playing with time, killing Superman after Superman after Superman.

Then the Supermen, I believe in the afterlife, POOLED their telescopic vision to see into the real world ....or something like that (been 2 years since i read it).

That is definitely not 'normal' vision.

Again, maybe some sort of psionics.

Juntai
Originally posted by spetznaz

Also about the sound issue ....thinking about it maybe his super-hearing has nothing to do with sound, as you say. After all, it is said he can hear an electron get shorn off the orbital shell of an atom. That is not something that can be registered using sound energy.
Lois, who knows him more intimately than any, once said that when he squints, he can see the edge of the universe.

I wish his Supersenses would get written into more stories, but I imagine it's hard to balance all of the different aspects of a character like Superman. His human side, his superman side, his kryptonian side, his icon status, balacing the powers used in an issue, as well as the way he often uses his powers to create other opportunities or mimic other powers, or his sheer intelligence. His tech, etc.

Juntai
Originally posted by spetznaz
Just remembered something else ...what was that series where Gog would go around, playing with time, killing Superman after Superman after Superman.

Then the Supermen, I believe in the afterlife, POOLED their telescopic vision to see into the real world ....or something like that (been 2 years since i read it).

That is definitely not 'normal' vision.

Again, maybe some sort of psionics. The Kingdom.

Badabing
Originally posted by The Illuminati
Your not wrong, Superman has never been shown to be 100x FTL Glads has. Glads and SS for sure, not sure if anyone else would take the majority. Superman flew to the Source Wall in a few panels. The Source Wall is at the end of the DC Universe. Superman also flew from Vega, which is 25 light years away, to Earth in a few panels. Superman has enough recent feats to be as fast as Gladiator at the very least.

Juntai
Outside of being a mimic of Superboy characterwise, Gladiator really isn't comparable to Superman. I'm not sure why people always try to put them on the same page.

vlaaad12345
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Hmmm... looking at Infinite Crisis #7, what travel speed feats are you referring to exactly? And which ones from 'Countdown to Infinite Crisis?'
The one where he flew to the center of the universe and then to krypton which is in a completelly different galaxy as earth would be what they are talking about,millions of light years.

ScarletSpeed
How fast can the human torch move?

golem370
What about Quasar

george '06
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
How fast can the human torch move?
not a billionth of superman
does iron man have any special suits just for speed?

Metalmanx
Nothing that would come ANYWHERE close to a fraction of Supes' speed.

Superman is just ridiculously overpowered. erm

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Metalmanx
Nothing that would come ANYWHERE close to a fraction of Supes' speed.

Superman is just ridiculously overpowered. erm

So are a host of other characters.

Scoobless
Outside of being a mimic of Superboy characterwise, Gladiator really isn't comparable to Superman. I'm not sure why people always try to put them on the same page.

Why do you say that? They seem fairly similar in power to most people.

illadelph12
Powerset wise they are nearly identical.

In terms of prestige, however, it's a completely different story.

Badabing
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
How fast can the human torch move? Just.....dur

Scoobless
Originally posted by illadelph12
Powerset wise they are nearly identical.

In terms of prestige, however, it's a completely different story.

That's bound to happen when one character gets 5+ titles a month for 6 decades and the other gets maybe a one or two a year ... and usually as little more than an obstacle for the protagonist of the story.

Gladiator has as much prestige within the Shi'ar as Superman has on Earth but it's rarely, if ever, portrayed in the comics.

llagrok
Originally posted by Badabing
Just.....dur

Why you picking on ScarletSpeed? Wanna get chokeslammed? uhuh

Raoul
That's bound to happen when one character gets 5+ titles a month for 6 decades and the other gets maybe a one or two a year ... and usually as little more than an obstacle for the protagonist of the story.

Gladiator has as much prestige within the Shi'ar as Superman has on Earth but it's rarely, if ever, portrayed in the comics.

and, you know, he's crap.

jltruth
There is next to none that is comparable to superman in flight speed but I agree about gladiator being supermans superior when it come to that because out of the two he is the only one that was CLOCKED at 100x the speed of light. We all know that silver surfer is superman superior when it come to flight speed but I would give that to almost any herald beside terrax.

Northstar could also be faster and thor has some amazing flight speed feats along with sentry but thats about it.

Almost forgot about hyperion, he has performed some amazing space flight.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Raoul
and, you know, he's crap.

Yeah I know .... but he has gotten slightly better since the pre-crisis days.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

jltruth
by the way the shiar was fighting the xmen and losing while on earth and one of the guardsman was yelling in pain due to wolverine attacking him and scream through the intercom. Gladiator who was at the shiar empire heard the call and flew from shiar to earth in one panel and shiar is across the other side of the solar system.

Raoul
Yeah I know .... but he has gotten slightly better since the pre-crisis days.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

durfist

darthgoober
Originally posted by jltruth
by the way the shiar was fighting the xmen and losing while on earth and one of the guardsman was yelling in pain due to wolverine attacking him and scream through the intercom. Gladiator who was at the shiar empire heard the call and flew from shiar to earth in one panel and shiar is across the other side of the solar system.
What issue is that in? That sounds like a noteworthy feat and I want to make sure it's in Glad's respect thread.

llagrok
Originally posted by darthgoober
What issue is that in? That sounds like a noteworthy feat and I want to make sure it's in Glad's respect thread.

New x-men something.

Think was a part of, or after Imperial.

spetznaz

I also face that problem, although i have compared the two in the past. I'd guess its probably because they are analogous ....both have very similar sets of powers, with similar areas of weakness (e.g. both are susceptible to certain types of radiation, although Glads has the extra 'emotional' component). And you could say that Glad is in homage to Superman.

Thus, they may not be true peers, but they are analogous peers.

In much the same way Hyperion could be said to be similar to Superman ....Kal can crush Hyperion any day, but you can see Hype was hyped from Superman.

Same with count Nefaria and even Supreme.

The same could be said about Batman, Midnighter (WS) and two characters in the MU that are Batman-esque (one is some Egyptian based guy whose name i cannot recall, and the other is a black version of Bruce Wayne in the MU as well)

Creshosk
Gladiator is a superman clone, that's why they get compared. Yeah I said it, Kallark is patterned after Kal-el|Clark Kent.

Juntai
Gladiator and the Shiar Guard, are paterned after Superboy and the Legion of Superheros.

occultdestroyer
Gladiator is a mimic of Superman, powerset-wise.

But you know what they say, original is always better.
cool

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Creshosk
Gladiator is a superman clone, that's why they get compared. Yeah I said it, Kallark is patterned after Kal-el|Clark Kent.

janus77
who likes the mohawk?

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by janus77
who likes the mohawk?

Me, it adds more character to him. If not, he would be more like Supes.

janus77
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Me, it adds more character to him. If not, he would be more like Supes.
it does? aside from inches, I don't see it adding anything.

then again, his costume looks like somebody painted over a pair of grand-dad high-waisted trousers.

Superman's just a bit ... bland, but Gladiator looks silly (imo).

vlaaad12345
Originally posted by jltruth
There is next to none that is comparable to superman in flight speed but I agree about gladiator being supermans superior when it come to that because out of the two he is the only one that was CLOCKED at 100x the speed of light. We all know that silver surfer is superman superior when it come to flight speed but I would give that to almost any herald beside terrax.

Northstar could also be faster and thor has some amazing flight speed feats along with sentry but thats about it.

Almost forgot about hyperion, he has performed some amazing space flight.
Superman flew to a galaxy over 2.5million light years away....in a couple of sentences.....lets say it took him a year...hes >>>>>>>>>gladiator.

carver9
Originally posted by vlaaad12345
Superman flew to a galaxy over 2.5million light years away....in a couple of sentences.....lets say it took him a year...hes >>>>>>>>>gladiator.

That always happen in comics but clock speed, gladiator>>>>Superman and thats being generous. When it come to speed gladiator is comparable to silver surfer in my opinion.

Eel O'Brian
Originally posted by janus77
Superman's just a bit ... bland, but Gladiator looks silly (imo). Not like Superman's costume is anything special. erm

carver9
I honestly like gladiator look. I dont see anything wrong with it to me. He looks extremely powerful.

occultdestroyer
Gladiator looks like an idiot.
Superman's better overall.

Rorschach
Originally posted by carver9
That always happen in comics

Doesn't take anything away from the feat.

gladiator>>>>Superman and thats being generous

Doesn't mean Gladiator is faster than Superman. If we're comparing two feats, one where Gladiator is said to be moving 100 times faster than light, and one where Superman crosses light-years in a less than three hours. Superman's feat will be considered more impressive.

When it come to speed gladiator is comparable to silver surfer in my opinion.

No, he isn't. Silver Surfer has speed feats far greater than Superman and Gladiator. Superman and Gladiator are peers, Silver Surfer is their superior.

zeel
Mukkari is faster then shit. Mukkari is the fastest of the eternals .

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.