Who's the weakest character that could cut adamantium

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthgoober
Ok so here's the deal. Let's say these heroes...

1. Spiderman
2. Venom
3. Thing
4. Colossuss
5. Wonderman
6. Classic Thor
7. WWH

... are all gathered in a room and each are wielding an adamantium katana with a monomolecular edge to the blade, and at the other end of the room are 7 solid adamantium bars with a 1 inch diameter. Who's the weakest character that'll be able to cut through their adamantium bar?

MightyEInherjar
Wonderman.

psycho gundam
hulk or none of the above.

nemesis has a mono molecular sword named cell (aka the onyx sword) and even that can't cut true adamantium, besides adamantium can only only be altered after it cures by a special laser or molecular rearranging from a powerful individual/artifact.

llagrok
Possibly Thor and Hulk.

Starscream M
Originally posted by llagrok
Possibly Thor and Hulk. how? isn't it impossible to cut adamantium physically?

llagrok
Originally posted by Starscream M
how? isn't it impossible to cut adamantium physically?

Nothing is impossible for Thor and Hulk!

Starscream M
Nothing is impossible for Thor and Hulk! or do you mean impossible is nothing for Thor and Hulk stick out tongue

K-Dog
I don't think adamantium would cut adamantium would it? When two substances are equal, the monomolecular shape would simply make it small and weak compared to the large one inch bar wouldn't it? Therefore none of them can.

Could the Thor godblast go through adamantium as thick as aluminum foil?

Dark-Jaxx
But the character's are applying force when they strike the bar.

ScarletSpeed
Plus the sharpness of the blade means it should be able to cut through it,

I say Wonder Woman is the weakest that can do it.

Symmetric Chaos
Katana swung with two hands does sw+2 damage. A a super high quality monomolecular edge improves this to sw+6(10).

DR and HP for a 1" adamantium bar should be roughly 36 and 69

To slice through it in one hit they would have to do 73 damage which takes 160 ST. That comes to a maximum lifting load of 30,720 lbs.

Alright now that you geeks have something to work with get cracking.

Knowsbleed33
Molecule Man. He could make that Katana cut through anything.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
Molecule Man. He could make that Katana cut through anything.

not in the list.

Knowsbleed33
I picked him because I don't think anyone on that list could do it. They might be able to bend it, but not slice through it.

King Kandy
I'm guessing the sword would crack as compared to solid adamantium a monomolecular sword would be weak and if WWH or Thor was using it it would most likely break the edge.

llagrok
Maybe Thor would end up like he did against Harald Jaekelson.

Grinning Goku
Maybe Thor would end up like he did against Harald Jaekelson. laughing laughing

srankmissingnin
No one. Primary Adamantium is indestructible, nothing short of matter manipulation will do. 'Nuff Said.

King Kandy
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
No one. Primary Adamantium is indestructible, nothing short of matter manipulation will do. 'Nuff Said.
Merged hulk dented it.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by King Kandy
Merged hulk dented it.

All instances of Adamantium being damaged where retcon'd into being secondary Adamantium.

King Kandy
All instancs of Adamantium being damaged where retcon'd into being Beta Adamantium.
Since when? Ultron is beta now?

srankmissingnin
Since when? Ultron is beta now?

The creation of secondary and primary Adamantium was created for the very purpose of retcon'ing away Hulk and Thor damaging Adamantium.

Ultron was destroyed with Antarctic Vibranium which destabalizes the molecular bonds of metals, not brute strength.

King Kandy
Well obviously Adamantium can be damaged, isn't caps shield stronger then it?

srankmissingnin
Well obviously Adamantium can be damaged, isn't caps shield stronger then it?

No, not stronger, different. Both are indestructible with out some sort of matter manipulation, but Cap's shield also absorbs large amounts of mechanical energy making it much more useful.

King Kandy
King Thor broke Captain America's shield so it isn't indestructible.

srankmissingnin
King Thor broke Captain America's shield so it isn't indestructible.

In a divergent time line. Doesn't effect 616 Adamantium's cannon. Wolverine stabbed through Cap's SHIELD in the Enemy of the State What If... do you think that is accurate?

King Kandy
In a divergent time line. Doesn't effect 616 Adamantium's cannon. Wolverine stabbed through Cap's SHIELD in the Enemy of the State What If... do you think that is accurate?
wtf? King Thor was in 616.

srankmissingnin
No it is a divergent time line that took place inside of what is normally a 616 book, like DoFP, HCT, and the current Old Man Logan and Millar and Hitch's Fantastic Four story line. That's how Marvel deals with time travel and alternate futures, the get relegated to an alternate earth if they aren't what actually came to pass in 616 canon.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
Plus the sharpness of the blade means it should be able to cut through it,

I say Wonder Woman is the weakest that can do it.
Wonder Woman's not in the list as well.

retard

OneDumbG0
The creation of secondary and primary Adamantium was created for the very purpose of retcon'ing away Hulk and Thor damaging Adamantium.

Ultron was destroyed with Antarctic Vibranium which destabalizes the molecular bonds of metals, not brute strength. I think there are different feats of Thor damaging adamantium. As far as I remembered, Avengers #66 has a feat of Thor using a full force strength Mjolnir swing to dent a cylinder of "true adamantium." This was supposedly the first appearance and mention of adamantium in Marvel history and the cylinder was created from the original perfected process.

There are other more ambiguous feats also... in 'Secret Wars' towards the end, Savage Hulk was fighting Ultron who, at that time, was armored in "pure adamantium" and he caused a crack that allowed Wasp an opening to screw up his circuitry inside. And I think we all know about how Pak kinda re-retconned Hulk's statue into being composed of "pure adamantium." Whether or not the latter two instances of "pure adamantium" were actually the strongest forms of adamantium is questionable. But I think Thor denting the cylinder was the strongest form of adamantium and remains so. It was never retconned.

And then there is the whole Cyber issue. His skin has been described as "pure" or "true adamantium," I believe... and it's actually flexible. That doesn't make sense if the strongest form of adamantium is truly undentable/unbreakable. For "true adamantium" to become flexible, then it must be malleable. If it is malleable, it must also be capable of being dented physically. Perhaps not shattered... but at least dentable.

Personally, the only way to reconcile this is to either assume that the strongest form of adamantium can indeed be dented. Whereby past feats and Cyber's skin makes sense. Or you must assume everything has been retconned as secondary adamantium. Even Cyber's skin. What is the first comic appearance or on-panel reference to secondary adamantium actually? Anybody have a scan? Maybe that will help shed some light. And if anybody has the Avengers #66 scan or Secret Wars scan... by all means.

srankmissingnin
Secondary Adamantium was created for the very purpose of retcon'ing away Thor denting the cylinder and Hulk damaging Ultron.

Cybre is just ridiculous and non-sensical and no one should waste any time thinking about how he moves because you won't come up with anything that makes a lick of sense. sad

OneDumbG0
Secondary Adamantium was created for the very purpose of retcon'ing away Thor denting the cylinder and Hulk damaging Ultron.

Cybre is just ridiculous and non-sensical and no one should waste any time thinking about how he moves because you won't come up with anything that makes a lick of sense. sad Cyber's skin can't be true adamantium. Doesn't make sense. If it's flexible, it's malleable. If it's malleable, it's dentable. Maybe it's not shatterable or cuttable... but it's dentable. By your standards, Cyber's skin is not true/pure adamantium and was retconned.

At the same time, I'd prefer an actual scan of secondary adamantium rather than taking it at your word. We've argued over scans before. Avengers #66 describes the very process they use for creating adamantium. It's the first actual appearance of adamantium in Marvel history. They present a cylinder to Thor to test it out and he dents it slightly with the greatest swing he could muster. I don't see how such a clear and unambiguous presentation could possibly have been retconned unless it was specifically retconned on-panel when Marvel came up with secondary adamantium. I can understand the other times when Thor used lightning to smash apart adamantium as being retconned, or Wonderman smashing adamantium with his hands... but not Avengers #66 unless there is specific reference to it. I'd even consider taking a secondary source from Marvel. Do you have the scan, reference, issue number or handbook entry?

srankmissingnin
Exactly 66 was the first appearance of Adamantium inside of Marvel. Thor damaged it and latter they decided they wanted it to be completely unbreakable via physical means so they created Secondary Adamantium. It was created to deal with those specific instances, its the whole reason the retcon happened.

Cyber he just doesn't make any sense, they should have just said his skin was Carbonadium, it supposed to be virtually indestructible to... but its also incredibly flexible. Even if he is skin was seconday adamantium... he still shouldn't be able to move. I mean the best Thor can do is dent it. Cyber is a dumb character... I wouldn't spend to much time thinking about how he moves, I just put it up their with character's talkin in space and having the ability to see what is happening around them while moving a hundred times faster than the speed of light.

OneDumbG0
^ I understand what you're trying to say as you've basically repeated yourself. But I would rather read the comic itself or the handbook reference itself. I only have your word to take for your interpretation. And your word is not enough for me as we've argued before over scans and interpretations. If you are so sure that your interpretation is correct, give me the scan or just point me to the sources themselves and let me decide for myself.

"What is the first comic where secondary adamantium was introduced on-panel or what secondary source confirms that the below was specifically retconned?"

Because I am hard-pressed to believe that this two page splash was retconned. This is from Avengers #66. This is the first on-panel appearance of adamantium. Here is the original scientist testing out his new accidental creation by having the Avengers take their shots at it. What possible reason could the professor have to be testing secondary adamantium? The entire scene, indeed, the entire comic is based around them testing this new discovery. And we all know that the first discovery of adamantium was pure adamantium. For the first discovery of adamantium to be secondary adamantium is nonsensical. Secondary adamantium is a cheap substitute for pure adamantium. Without clear evidence to the contrary, I'm not going to dismiss this feat:

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ I understand what you're trying to say as you've basically repeated yourself. But I would rather read the comic itself or the handbook reference itself. I only have your word to take for your interpretation. And your word is not enough for me as we've argued before over scans and interpretations. If you are so sure that your interpretation is correct, give me the scan or just point me to the sources themselves and let me decide for myself.

"What is the first comic where secondary adamantium was introduced on-panel or what secondary source confirms that the below was specifically retconned?"

Because I am hard-pressed to believe that this two page splash was retconned. This is the first appearance of adamantium from Avengers #66. Here is the original scientist testing out his new accidental creation by having the Avengers take their shots at it. This is the first on-panel appearance of adamantium. What possible reason could the professor have to be testing secondary adamantium? The entire scene, indeed, the entire comic is based around them testing this new discovery. And we all know that the first discovery of adamantium was pure adamantium. Without clear evidence to the contrary, I'm not going to dismiss this feat:

Yeah, I got'cha but it's a lot harder to track down instances of Adamantium appearing in a comic than it is a character... and I don't even want to bother looking for Primary/Secondary Adamantium references in my comic library... I wouldn't even know where to start... and its not like you can just thumb through either, you'd have to read all the captions and speach... it would take awhile

OneDumbG0
^ Then it's arguable you remembered it incorrectly. Even third-hand sources like wikipedia and marveldirectory.com state that Thor dented true adamantium. Between what I see in Avengers #66 on-panel, those third-hand sources and Cyber's skin; I'm more inclined to take that over your unsupported assertion. This is not a personal slight. I'll be searching around for secondary adamantium references myself to put the issue at rest.

Either way, Cyber's skin being flexible is evidence that true adamantium is dentable. Maybe not shatterable or cuttable... but definitely dentable, especially when presented in tandem with Avengers #66. And now that I think of it, Cyber's skin HAS to be true adamantium. Genesis harvested it from Cyber on his first death and deemed it to be true adamantium, right? And I think eventually, Apocalypse bonded this same adamantium to Wolverine's skeleton. So any retcon of Cyber's skin being anything but true adamantium is simply false. It isn't secondary adamantium. And it's malleability, maybe a virtue of it's razor thinness, allows it to flex. Nonetheless, flexibility infers malleability, which strongly supports dentability.

As to whether the Ultron that Savage Hulk smashed in 'Secret Wars' was pure adamantium or not is still debateable. Which is why I'll continue to look for the comics that introduce secondary adamantium or second-hand sources confirming such retcons specifically. As far as I see, Avengers #66 was never retconned. It couldn't have been, for the aforementioned reasons.

Obsidian Fury
Originally posted by K-Dog
I don't think adamantium would cut adamantium would it? When two substances are equal, the monomolecular shape would simply make it small and weak compared to the large one inch bar wouldn't it? Therefore none of them can.

Could the Thor godblast go through adamantium as thick as aluminum foil?

Rock can crush rock. Steel can break steel hmm

Creshosk
Originally posted by Obsidian Fury
Rock can crush rock. Steel can break steel hmm Adamantium can cut rock and steel at the same time.. adamantium is a fictional material. Adamantium doesn't cut adamantium.

lft4ded
Though its not drawn this way perhaps Cyber's skin is composed of interlocking adamantium scales that are capable of sliding over each other? (like Cap's chain mail but much, much smaller, or even microscopic). This would solve both problems and perhaps explain the banded look he has.

Creshosk
could even be that each skin cell is molecularly bonded...

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by lft4ded
Though its not drawn this way perhaps Cyber's skin is composed of interlocking adamantium scales that are capable of sliding over each other? (like Cap's chain mail but much, much smaller, or even microscopic). This would solve both problems and perhaps explain the banded look he has. This is what happened when Legacy used his bugs to eat Cyber from the inside out. If they were microscopic scales, then when he picked it up, it would have had no shape and would have been like picking up a piece of cloth. Obviously, it doesn't:

Soljer
None of them. Adamantium cannot cut adamantium.

DeathKap
Originally posted by Soljer
None of them. Adamantium cannot cut adamantium. Exactly.

DeathKap
I recall in ultamate x-men that wolverine was once atacked by men in adamantium suits wich were flexible, and he could not pierce them. This was when he was with spiderman i think after he healed for 2 or 3 days at his house from being completly shot up in a diner.

llagrok
No it is a divergent time line that took place inside of what is normally a 616 book, like DoFP, HCT, and the current Old Man Logan and Millar and Hitch's Fantastic Four story line. That's how Marvel deals with time travel and alternate futures, the get relegated to an alternate earth if they aren't what actually came to pass in 616 canon.

The reigning did indeed happen in the 616 timeline, then Thor erased all of it and set time back.

OneDumbG0
The reigning did indeed happen in the 616 timeline, then Thor erased all of it and set time back. Same thing as 'Age of Apocalypse,' 'Here Comes Tomorrow,' 'Days Of Future Past,' etc. When you screw with timelines and erase events and set time back, they become alternate universes. The only way you can screw with time and not cause a divergent timeline in Marvel is with the Forever Crystal that Kang and Immortus used in 'Avengers Forever.' That crystal allowed Immortus to change things in the past while preventing time divergences.

Everything else, is an alternate universe. Magni, King Thor's son, is not a 616 character. 'The Reigning' and all of it's events are self-contained in it's own alternate universe. It's not canon.

I don't agree that Millar and Hitch's current run on Fantastic Four is an alternate timeline though. It's set in the 616 universe. It's just set around the time of Doom's capture by the Mighty Avengers and before 'Secret Invasion.' Although... it's curious how a certain Doctor makes an appearance in the ending of the latest issue. How that resolves itself, we'll just have to see...

TricksterPriest
By pure strength? They can't do it. A sword like that can't cut through 7 solid bars.

Now, a magic sword like Zauriel's might have a better shot, but even that is dubious. You'd be better off using something overkill like the godblast, OB, Destroyer's head beam, Astro Force, etc.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Same thing as 'Age of Apocalypse,' 'Here Comes Tomorrow,' 'Days Of Future Past,' etc. When you screw with timelines and erase events and set time back, they become alternate universes. The only way you can screw with time and not cause a divergent timeline in Marvel is with the Forever Crystal that Kang and Immortus used in 'Avengers Forever.' That crystal allowed Immortus to change things in the past while preventing time divergences.

Everything else, is an alternate universe. Magni, King Thor's son, is not a 616 character. 'The Reigning' and all of it's events are self-contained in it's own alternate universe. It's not canon.

I don't agree that Millar and Hitch's current run on Fantastic Four is an alternate timeline though. It's set in the 616 universe. It's just set around the time of Doom's capture by the Mighty Avengers and before 'Secret Invasion.' Although... it's curious how a certain Doctor makes an appearance in the ending of the latest issue. How that resolves itself, we'll just have to see...

Precisely.

I haven't read Millar and Hitch's current F4 run, I just figured it was an alternate future because I remember reading that Old Man Logan tied into it. /shrug

OneDumbG0
Precisely.

I haven't read Millar and Hitch's current F4 run, I just figured it was an alternate future because I remember reading that Old Man Logan tied into it. /shrug ^ It is? That'd be kinda sweet! Although we'll probably have to wait til 2018 for McNiven to finish the third issue of 'Old Man Logan.' Whereupon it'll require 6 more years to ink the thing. And McNiven can then totally and justifiably blame the inkers. mad

srankmissingnin
I think issue 3 is still solicited for an August release, but there isn't an issue for September... but if I remember correctly there are two or three Wolverine one shots that month, so I bet Marvel figured they could McNiven a break.lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.