Most Memorable Villains

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
With "The Dark Knight" having just been released and having recently watched Ledger play an amazing Joker, I got inspired to start up this thread.

Pretty self-explanatory; who've been some of the best/most memorable villains from any film?

Different criteria can help you choose, ie originality, how well the actor/actress did in the role, intensity, etc.

Anyway, have at it.

Naz
Hannibal Lector. Hopkin's performance as him was amazing, it made Silence of the Lambs my favorite movie and Hopkins my favorite actor.

BruceSkywalker
Darth Vader, Hannibal Lector and know Heath Ledger as The Joker

Da Joker
Heath Ledger......

What? That's all I got....

Röland
Hans Gruber!

ragesRemorse
the t-800 and t-1000 deserve a mention

allonzo from training day was a great fuking villain too

ragesRemorse

Myth
I always thought of Darth Vader as the best bad guy ever. I now believe Heath Ledger's Joker is #1.

Blax_Hydralisk
Don't worry.

You won't see the movie for awhile, and then you'll change your mind.

I thought Cloverfield was the best movie ever after I saw it the first time. ermm

chillmeistergen
Anton Chigurh.

jaden101
Max Cady (cape fear)

=Tired Hiker=
Tim Curry as The Lord Of Darkness in Ridley Scott's 'Legend' is the first bad guy that came to my mind as the most memorable.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/fulldarkness.jpg

T.M
Lecter, Vader, HAL 9000

Selphie
Oogie Boogie!

Robtard
If I hear another "Ledger was the best ever!", I'm going to wish I were dead. He did a good role, but come on now.

Anyhow, Ian McKellen in Richard III was a superb villain, even though he was also the protagonist. You loved to hate this guy, was such a despicable ****.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

oh snaps, yo

HollywoodGurl
Yes, Ledger as the Joker would definitely be on my top list. His character was so dark. smile Hannibal Lecter, John Doe from Seven, Jack from the Shining. smile

Impediment
Darth Vader above anyone.

Hannibal Lecter, The Joker, Patrick Bateman (American Psycho), Leatherface

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
If I hear another "Ledger was the best ever!", I'm going to wish I were dead. He did a good role, but come on now.

It seems that you, me and Johnathan Ross are in an extreme minority

Robtard
I wouldn't call the movie "boring" as I did enjoy the film, but the "Ledger deserves an Oscar" and "the best movie ever" rantings are a bit off.

celestialdemon
Darth Vader, Hannibal Lecter, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, and Pinhead.

jaden101
I wouldn't call the movie "boring" as I did enjoy the film, but the "Ledger deserves an Oscar" and "the best movie ever" rantings are a bit off.

to be fair he didn't call the whole movie boring...he said bits of it were boring...but then that's a criticism that can be levied at any film....

=Tired Hiker=
I agree that the movie wasn't the second coming, but I do agree that Ledger did a great job. I'd say he's worthy of a nomination for best supporting, at least a nomination.

Dark-Jaxx
Darth Sidious is the true villain of Star Wars.

Thing about Heath is that no one has ever played the part as well as he did, his performance blew Jack's out of the water.

Another villain I can agree with is Max Cady played by De Niro.

WrathfulDwarf

Ledger was the best ever.

(looks at watch)

Shouldn't you roll over now?

Okay, enough brouhaha....I'd say that the most memorable "villains" (read the thread title correctly) would go to The Nazis themselves.

No one can top those A-holes.

ragesRemorse
I dont know dude, I hear that those football players over in bakersfield are pretty Rooty

=Tired Hiker=
Dudes, the Republicans, man. Those guys are heartless.

ragesRemorse
" What's all this shit about Vietnam"?

vintageSW77
the director in Orgazmo

Robtard
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Darth Sidious is the true villain of Star Wars.

Thing about Heath is that no one has ever played the part as well as he did, his performance blew Jack's out of the water.

Another villain I can agree with is Max Cady played by De Niro.

His performance did not 'blow away' Nicholson's. They played two different aspects (versions) of the Joker. Jack took on the psycho-prankster approach, while Heath took on the homicidal-insane-genius approach. Granted, I did like the Ledger version better, you're comparing apples to pears.

Bicnarok

apoc001
Ernst Stavro Blofeld. He's not the best villain ever, but he's certainly memorable and he's been parodied many times.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
" What's all this shit about Vietnam"?

"Well, there isn't a literal connection, Dude."

ragesRemorse
oh dammit, i forgot about Bill the Butcher. No one beats bill

Rogue Jedi

Anyhow, Ian McKellen in Richard III was a superb villain, even though he was also the protagonist. You loved to hate this guy, was such a despicable ****. Agreed, but I havent seen TDK yet, so shut up RJ.

BackFire
Nurse Ratchet - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

The single most hateable villain I've ever seen.

Also, the debauched fascists in Salo.

And General Mireau from Paths of Glory.

Darth Exodus
Team Rocket, those guys make me cry inside.

FistOfThe North
Darth Vader and the Joker.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by BackFire

Good call. I think she's the only villain that's made me clench my teeth while watching the movie.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire

Also, the debauched fascists in Salo.

And General Mireau from Paths of Glory.

Yea, good call, forgot how much I loved to hate the ****.

Reminds me of another, albeit not as good. Annie Wilkes - Misery.

dadudemon
Yea, good call, forgot how much I loved to hate the ****.

Reminds me of another, albeit not as good. Annie Wilkes - Misery.

thumb up

I was thinking the same thing after reading his post.

I liked TDK's Joker, Hannibal, Hal 9000 (He was scary in a cold heartless way...I was a kid, damnit!), the retarded brothers from that X-Files episode.

Toku King
Green Goblin deserves a mention. People at my high school still mention him when it comes to movie villains.

chillmeistergen
Oh dear.

Robtard
Originally posted by Toku King
Green Goblin deserves a mention. People at my high school still mention him when it comes to movie villains.

Odd.

How often does the subject of "movie villains" come up in your H.S.?

Obsidian Fury
TDK Joker was legendary big grin

WrathfulDwarf
I think we need to throw in some Bond villains here....

My most memorable is Goldfinger.

I just love this scene:

James Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Auric Goldfinger: "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

SnakeEyes
Giving this thread a good ole bumo.

A decent amount of people mentioned Hannibal (which is great), but nobody mentioned Buffalo Bill; that guy was fvckin creepy. Also John Doe from Se7en was great imo. Anywho, new/additional ideas are welcome.

jaden101
stansfield by Gary Oldman in "Leon"

the truck from Spielberg's 1st feature film "duel"

ed harris as Carl Fogarty in "a history of violence"

agent smith from the matrix (don't think anyone's mentioned him yet)

gogopanda
the grinch big grin evil face

Impediment
Albert (Danny Glover from The Color Purple. A very cruel and cold man.

Hal 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. The most devious machine ever.

"Addiction" from Requiem for a Dream. Watch the movie and you'll see what I mean. Truly horrifying.

Master Crimzon
After watching Silence of the Lambs, I have to say that Hannibal Lecter is pretty much my all-time favorite. Buffalo Bill's creepy, but there's something about him that prevents him from being a truly great villain. Maybe it's because he's got the typical "he's just doing it because he hates himself" motive.

Outside of Hannibal, some of my favorites are TDK Joker, Anton Chigurh, the Emperor (seriously, guys. I get it that Darth Vader is a 'badass'. But the Emperor is a far more evil character), the Terminator, the Alien, etc...

I also think that Ed Harris' Christof from the Truman Show is an awesome villain, when it comes to 'love-to-hate-'em' villains.

Plutonic_Hat90
The Emperor from Return of the Jedi
Any of the terminators
The Joker (ledger)
Jigsaw (the saw movies suck but damn what a creepy villain)
Agent Smith

Superherovandal
Anton Chigurh yeah...he's one too..That scene with the coin flip in the convenience store freaked me out to no end.

ragesRemorse
I'm still sticking with Bill the Butcher but Jack from 'The Shining' is great too. I wouldn't say this next one is of the most memorable but Voldemort from the Harry Potter movie's definitely surprised me. Say what you will about that franchise but you have to admit, Voldemort is a cool villain.

deathbycorn
The Klopeks from The 'burbs

The Mountain Men from Wrong Turn

Sado22
in no particular order:
-Agent Smith
-The Joker (heath ledger)
-Deacon Frost, Blade
-Tylor Durden, Fight Club
-Jigsaw (tobain bell), Saw
-Clubber Lang, T, (i pity the foo!)
-Kurtz , apocolypse now (marlyn Brando)
-Cyrus the Virus, ConAir (John Malkovich)
-Terminator (arnie)
-Jack Nicholson's character in Departed
-Ivan Drago, Rocky4

Ace of Knaves

AC/DC'S_LVR
probably already said a million times but definately the Joker

Fist
Vic Vega baby, aka Mr. Blonde.

siriuswriter
Pretty much any villianous role that Alan Rickman has played, including Hans Gruber and The Sheriff of Nottingham - totally evil with major undercurrent of sexual sadism.

My favorite Shakespearean villain is Iago - the totally manipulative bastard that a person has just got to love

TDK Joker is of course wonderfully heinous. I think that really works because we know nothing of his past, how he got his scars, why he wears the makeup, where he got the clothes.... really, everything about the Joker could be turned into an evil story.

I luuurve Hannibal. He's especially creepy, and I finally checked out imdb and found out why - through all his scenes, he never blinked. Which maxes out the creepy reptilian factor.

Sadako of Girth
Palpatine.

Extremely honorable mentions that I could watch all day:

Hans Gruber (who nearly ties with Palps for me)
Khhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaan Noonian Singh
Pennywise
Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Jabba the Hutt
John Doe in Se7en
Christine (the car!)
Jaws (the shark!)
Kathy Bates in Misery
Nurse Radchet (3rd vote!)
Khan Noonian Singh a second time 'cause "Khhhhhhaaaaaaaaannn!"
Clarence Boddicker
Maximillian from 'The Black Hole'
Malcolm McDowell in 'Clockwork Orange' and 'Blue Thunder'.
The Nazis of 'Raiders'
Mola Ramm (Temple of doom)
George W. Bush (in fahrenheit 9/11)

If those guys team up, we, the world are f***ed.

jinXed by JaNx
stay puft

Sadako of Girth
Damn.... Gozer was pretty evil, now you mention it....

Bouboumaster
1- Hannibal Lecter / John Doe
2- Patrick Bateman / Jack (Shining) / Norma Bates
3- The sick motherf*cker in No Country For Old Men

GCG
just a few that come to mind

Mr. Blonde - Reseviour Dogs
Hal 9000 - 2001 A Space Odyseey
Top Dollar - The Crow
The Joker - The Dark Knight
John Doe - Se7en

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Bouboumaster

3- The sick motherf*cker in No Country For Old Men

Holy SHIT...! How could I have forgotten Javier Bardham's totally scary loon...? Utterly righteous pick.

Fist
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Holy SHIT...! How could I have forgotten Javier Bardham's totally scary loon...? Utterly righteous pick.

Ditto.

Another plug 4 Mr. Blonde: one of the few cinematic scenes that actually drove people from the theater... That's evil baby.

jaden101
As rubbish as the films generally are...the bad guys are class

http://florence.ghibellini.free.fr/obscur/linoge/linoge01.jpg
Andre Linoge from "storm of the century"

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b266/Spidy810/pennywise.jpg
Pennywise the clown from "IT"

moviefanatic04
agree with the joker. some say that he didn't even do a good job but i completely disagree. i think he did a great job

Placidity
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

If those guys team up, we, the world are f***ed.

Not if we had Superman.

Toku King
Finally saw "Stargate", and Ra was a pretty memorable villain.

Kovacs86
John Doe (Se7en)
Keyser Soze (The Usual Suspects)
Tyler Durden (Fight Club- if he counts...)
Darth Vader
Aliens (Alien/ Aliens)
Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
Terminator (Robert Patrick)
Amon Goeth (Schindler's List)

Master Crimzon
Well, Keyser Soze wasn't really a villain in the traditional sense. More a driving force and an ominous presence for the movie. He himself did not display any personal antagonism.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Well, Keyser Soze wasn't really a villain in the traditional sense. More a driving force and an ominous presence for the movie. He himself did not display any personal antagonism.

But then he was also pretty much the main character, and he was extremely evil...

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Kovacs86
But then he was also pretty much the main character, and he was extremely evil...

Yeah. But he didn't personally display any menace through the movie, so he isn't the traditional villain. I do agree that he is a superb character though. Kevin Space is an incredible actor.

By the way... The film left a lot of questions. What part of Verbal's story do you think was true? Do you think he was bullshitting the whole thing? Do you think Keyser Soze is a myth designed to spread fear?

Kovacs86
Yeah. But he didn't personally display any menace through the movie, so he isn't the traditional villain. I do agree that he is a superb character though. Kevin Space is an incredible actor.

By the way... The film left a lot of questions. What part of Verbal's story do you think was true? Do you think he was bullshitting the whole thing? Do you think Keyser Soze is a myth designed to spread fear?

Well, I'm fairly certain that much of what said about Soze was untrue. However, it's clear he's a very rich and very powerful criminal, and feared by pretty much everyone. He could be little more than a very powerful gangster however. It's pretty unclear. Whether Verbal really was Soze is unclear, even, though I like to believe he was...

And, yeah, Spacey's an amazing actor. He was also great as John Doe, in Se7en (another of my favourite villains), though my favourite Spacey role was as Jack Vincennes in LA Confidential...

Master Crimzon
Well, I'm fairly certain that much of what said about Soze was untrue. However, it's clear he's a very rich and very powerful criminal, and feared by pretty much everyone. He could be little more than a very powerful gangster however. It's pretty unclear. Whether Verbal really was Soze is unclear, even, though I like to believe he was...

My interpretation of this was that Verbal was, originally, a very simple mob boss who used the myth of of 'Keyser Soze' in order to create an aura of fear around criminality, which he can exploit in order to expand his operations. The movie's primary theme was about the power of illusion and misinformation. I believe that the general plot; the lineup and the hit on the boat, namely- was true, but the details were orchestrated as to cast Keyser Soze as someone other than Verbal, who created the illusion of him being a rather dumb cripple. His power was to control people through this sort of misinformation and mystique; as noted throughout the story, people don't realize that they work for Keyser Soze.

Anyway, very interesting character.

And, yeah, Spacey's an amazing actor. He was also great as John Doe, in Se7en (another of my favourite villains), though my favourite Spacey role was as Jack Vincennes in LA Confidential...

Wasn't he awesome in American Beauty? I wouldn't do, I hadn't watched it, but I've heard awesome things about it. Also, Spacey single-handedly made Superman Returns an extremely entertaining movie. Which is one hell of a feat.

Kovacs86
Wasn't he awesome in American Beauty? I wouldn't do, I hadn't watched it, but I've heard awesome things about it. Also, Spacey single-handedly made Superman Returns an extremely entertaining movie. Which is one hell of a feat.

Yeah, he was awesome. I should really get 'round to getting that on DVD, as I've only seen it once, but it is a very, very good film. I wasn't keen on him in SR, though.

Master Crimzon
Cool. I still think SR is horribly underrated though. Don't get why so many people hated its guts.

Kovacs86
Cool. I still think SR is horribly underrated though. Don't get why so many people hated its guts.

Nor do I. I'd certainly like to see a sequel from Singer, too...

jaden101
I don't believe anyone's mentioned...

http://homepage.mac.com/djkuhn/kurgan.jpg

Menetnashté
Originally posted by jaden101
I don't believe anyone's mentioned...

http://homepage.mac.com/djkuhn/kurgan.jpg
Wouldn't say he was that memorable as much as his line was.

Wei Phoenix
Has anyone mentioned Kurtwood Smith at his best as Clarence ****IN' Boddicker?

QdZqKVcI9m8

SelinaAndBruce
I still think Jack Nicholson's Joker was a good villain too

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I still think Jack Nicholson's Joker was a good villain too

Indeed he was ma'am. I actually like him more than Ledger. I'd like to see Ledger taking down a Batwin with a gun.

Kazenji
I'm surprised no on has'nt mentioned The Operative from the Serenity movie.

Scythe
A only two for me.

Darth Vader, since I was a kid, I knew he was a bad guy, probably the first bad guy ever that I knew of.

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Tim Curry as The Lord Of Darkness in Ridley Scott's 'Legend' is the first bad guy that came to my mind as the most memorable.

Second in my mind, awesome!

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm surprised no on has'nt mentioned The Operative from the Serenity movie.

He was pretty awesome, and I love Firefly/ Serenity, but I wouldn't really say he's on the same level as many of the others mentioned here...

m.ramius

I absolutely loved the movie, loved it.

But I'm really starting to get sick of the Ledger fanboys. A hundred years of films and people think it's the greatest role of all time.

I saw some other thread, people asking who was the "greatest sidekick of all time" and the first few posts were people talking about Alfred Pennyworth from the Batman movies.

I mean, again I loved the movie...but come on....people need to broaden their horizons.

DorianYates
Burke from Aliens , Darth vader and the joker from TDK.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.