USH'S STAR WARS GAME 2008- 'New Blood' (prequel for new players)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Time passes, even in Star Wars.

Starting soon are the new episodes of the Second Campaign, with the retuen of many of our old heroes. But all of them were young heroes once. Some have gone and some have stayed; people come and go. The game depends on it.

And so now new players are coming in (some of whom, let's face it, were pretty young when this game first started...). The problem for many of these whippersnappers is that they are joining in stories that are all at a cliffhanger stage. Even in the best of cases, that can be tricky to adjust to, but then there are rules to get used to as well, and the play style, and the play group...

Hence this mini-episode, entirely designed for new players. Plot-wise, this story details the very tail end of what the new p;layers were up to during the previous episode, and subsequently their integration into the next.

Whilst this is an exercise in role-playing, it is not the full game. We won't be using the rules system. This is for several reasons- first, I need as much time as possible for that system to be tested off-line before it gets used around here. Secondly, when we DO start using it around here, it should be with as many people as possible, not just a small number. Thirdly, chucking new players into a brand new rules system is not very helpful towards a sensible introduction.

Which is not to say your character design is irrelevant; I'll be running the game by fait (GM decision on the spot) based upon your character's abilities, which is something workable on a small scale (but no bloody good when you want a decent face-off between two named characters, not to mention two PLAYERS...).

What I am looking for here from each of you is the following:

- Your role-playing. If we run into issues or anyone needs to adjust to the style, this is the place to do it; better here than in the full gane.

- An idea about your character.. Whilst I have your bios and your sheets, the only way to really fund out about your characters is in play; if I have an idea of that it can help you integrate into the game better.

- Integration with the team. Possibly the most important part of all this. Becoming a part of your relevant play group is exceptionally important; role-playing is primarily a social activity at the end of the day.

That last part may appear difficult, as the rest of the team isn't present. Well, they may not be literally present, but they will be there in spirit! It will be the job of the other players to act as your invisible guides, advising you on what to do in the situations you find yourself in, a capacity I want them to fill both as in giving their personal opinion, and also to get you into the spirit of the team. If a new Jedi player is starting to break the law in the prsuit of his goals, it's the job of the present Jedi players to remind him he could be expelled form the Order for that. Whilst it is up to the Dark Side players to guide their new recruits along the path of the delicate balance betwen not taking any crap, but also not being so blatantly stupid as to make things much worse.

-----

In the Constellation of Altamira, at the far edge of the Republic, the final statges in a Senatorial programme to restore civilian order and law is coming to an end. The equivalent of the Third World in the Republic, combinations of famine, disease and petty local dictators have bought great suffering to the local people. The latest aid package from the Senate should be the final act- but a strike organised by representatives of the Miner's Guild has brought things to a staggering halt. The Jedi Council has agreed to help in negotiation, but as the final night of talks begin, it is terrorist activity that has suddenly begun to dominate the proceeings...

Out in one of the spiral arms, a five year programme to evict the natives of Calhoun from their homes in order to turn the whole planet into a farm to exploit the delciate local wildlife is in progress. When rights activists from the Republic managed to halt the legal process on the grounds of the inherent rights of the current land owners, those wanting the eviction start to employ kill teams to 'encourage' the natives to move out of their own accord. But nothing can be doine about these kill teams because they do not officially exist; anyone trying to gather evidence is killed, and local authorities ignore the issue... because they are all in the pay of the Golden Serpent, the ultimate moneymakers behind the scheme. With the authorities bought off, not even the Jedi can be brought in. All the activists need is first hand evidence of the teams in action- and in desperation, they have found some private detectives to do the work for them.- detectives who all happen to be ex-Jedi...

On the long forgotten world of Epireus, the local life forms are restless. On one of the high mountains live their local overlords, the errant Dark Siders who force the Epireans to do their bidding, with their deadly laser swords and mysterious, sorcerous-like powers. Though strong beings, the primitive Epireans find it hard to resist.

Yet some have. The Epirean Warlord Ogros has launched a rebellion to free his people from the Dark Side rule. The complicity of the Epireans is vital to the security of ther Dark Siders; this threat canot be tolerated. Nor can the Epireans simply be massacred; they are too necessary as a slave force. Some of the Dark Siders are dispatched to 'settle' the issue- to convince, by whatever means are needed, some of the local leaders that co-operation is the best way forwards... and to demonstrate to Ogros, and everyone else, that resistance has its price...

---

This isn't starting right now, but soon; feel free to ask any questions here. I will post starting posts when it is time!

Jedireaper
This sounds interesting... So the Jedi will be playing the role of negiotiaters

Jovan
is this a sort of exam? like, you wrote 3 pointers to pay attention to, so if you do them not good, will you reject that person in playing the real game?

Ushgarak
Not as such, but if this isn't the type of game for you, it should become clear.

Craft
Looks like fun. The fate of a planet rests on the shoulders of Renegades, fun times.

Jedireaper
I got tha boring polit' job sad

Lord Melkor
Originally posted by Jedireaper

With terrorists to make it less boring.

Jovan
if it gets too boring, why not kill some innocents stick out tongue

Jedireaper
"I am a Jedi, my morals wouldn't allow such an act. It would be against my nature. A Jedi does not crave adventure, nor does he crave fighting, though that doesn't stop us from having fun while fighting." big grin laughing out loud Yea terroists are better... What have I let myself in for by picking a Jedi, I only choose it because I knew not many ppl would. :/

Mando' Ade
*sighs* let's just get this over with.

SpikeSpiegel
Nobody employs kill teams to evict an entire populice on Sean Tiberius Farak's watch!

Jedireaper
Originally posted by Mando' Ade
*sighs* let's just get this over with. Agree's.... so how does this work Rp wise?

Peach
Well, you'll see when Ush starts it...

Captain REX

*sighs* let's just get this over with.

Not quite the attitude I would take in when playing these games. Being a diplomat is all part of the job for a Jedi Knight, and the Renegade mission actually sounds very interesting to me.

Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel
Nobody employs kill teams to evict an entire populice on Sean Tiberius Farak's watch!

Now that's more like it. laughing out loud

Bardock42
"Nor can the Epireans simply be massacred; they are too necessary as a slave force."

This just means we can't kill them all, right? We can still torture, hurt and destroy some of them in hilarious and worthwhile ways, right?

Right?

Jedireaper
Originally posted by Ushgarak
In the Constellation of Altamira, at the far edge of the Republic, the final statges in a Senatorial programme to restore civilian order and law is coming to an end. The equivalent of the Third World in the Republic, combinations of famine, disease and petty local dictators have bought great suffering to the local people. The latest aid package from the Senate should be the final act- but a strike organised by representatives of the Miner's Guild has brought things to a staggering halt. The Jedi Council has agreed to help in negotiation, but as the final night of talks begin, it is terrorist activity that has suddenly begun to dominate the proceeings...

No Terrorist is going to upset proceedings with Denz on the case. Justice will be brought upon the anyone who upsets the balence of law! (Semper Fi!)

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Bardock42
"Nor can the Epireans simply be massacred; they are too necessary as a slave force."

This just means we can't kill them all, right? We can still torture, hurt and destroy some of them in hilarious and worthwhile ways, right?

Right?

Starting to get an idea about how you want to handle this one...

Jedireaper
Haaa!

Bardock42
Starting to get an idea about how you want to handle this one... It seems to be the most straight forward way.

General Kaliero
It seems to be the most straight forward way.
You just might fit in here.

Jedireaper
lol

HereticalDruid
There will be enough butchery to keep them under our thumb but not enough to make them unhappy where they die if they rebel or they die if they do nothing.

Oh and I was 8 when this first started. I just thought that was interesting.

Jovan
about the boring political job for the jedi knights... I read Emissaries of Malastare (comic book) and I can tell you, if it's anything like that I wanna beg to make my character much better before attempting such a mission smile

Jedireaper
Whats that about?

Jovan
it's about some Jedi council members (and others) to mediate in a conflict on Malastare between two fractions but they can't reach an agreement and suddenly a terrorist attack happens and thus the Jedi are sucked into deep problems... been a while since I have read it

Ushgarak
Ah, the never ending conflicts between quarters and halves, eh?

We shall start sometime next week. Giving a few more days for recent additons to get used to everything (and for me to put them into the Archival Records).

At which point I will likely have to declare the game closed; we've had a lot of interest and are at about the limit.

Jedireaper
Glad I got in early then big grin I await the start smile

Bardock42
Looking forward to this as well. Who else will be on the Darksider mission? Just Heretical Druid?

Ushgarak
Did I count four new Darkies? It's a notable number.

Peach
Three, I believe.

Azarl, Con Gordo, and Relle.

Bardock42
Did I count four new Darkies? It's a notable number.

Who are they?

Do you know when about you think this will start and what time frame do you have in mind?

Ushgarak
Should start during the week and I hope it will finish during August.

Jedireaper
cool... cant wait to try my hand at this Ush style RPing big grin Yay for Ushgarek. I'm anticipating this game as much as I anticipated RotS but that film sucked till about the halfway point... This had better not disappoint smile

Bardock42
cool... cant wait to try my hand at this Ush style RPing big grin Yay for Ushgarek. I'm anticipating this game as much as I anticipated RotS but that film sucked till about the halfway point... This had better not disappoint smile

O-or else? You going to demand your 10 bucks back?

I liked that South Park episode, it was good.

Jedireaper
Or I'll just have my character killed off or something (joking) Seriously, bring on the terrorists!

Mando' Ade
Originally posted by Captain REX
Not quite the attitude I would take in when playing these games. Being a diplomat is all part of the job for a Jedi Knight, and the Renegade mission actually sounds very interesting to me.

Now that's more like it. laughing out loud

nobody deploys any large armed force without fas' hokh being at least ten lightyears out of the way. you'll pay for this! gunsmilie rambo style !

Bardock42
nobody deploys any large armed force without fas' hokh being at least ten lightyears out of the way. you'll pay for this! gunsmilie rambo style !

Oh, I think you misread. This is New Blood... not First Blood.

Mando' Ade
cant it be both no expression

Bardock42
cant it be both no expression

We will see.

Jedireaper
Haaa! I may change to a Renegade, I dont think my character is diplomatic enough.

Jedireaper
Kidding!

Bardock42
We could already discuss a bit what we think of the scenario and what we might do and also who we will be with on it, couldn't we?

Ushgarak
Yup!

Bardock42
Excellent.

I do like the idea of the Dark Side Scenario. It seems to give a lot of opportunities in approaching the rebellion. Especially to unscrupulous and bloodthirsty Dark Siders.

I am looking forward to finding out more about the Epireans and their plight, in order to malicously and thoroughly crush it.

Which Dark Siders (what kind) will be with me on the quest anyways?

Craft
Despite the kill teams running around I wouldn't be surprised if there was very little fighting for the Renegades. All we need to do is get evidence that they exist... Somehow getting our hands on team orders might be enough, who knows. Less casualties on either side is always a plus for Jedi, even Renegades!

HereticalDruid
I will be with you, Bardock. I am a Heretic. That's the non-ex-Jedi version of your character. I think we shouldn't just completely massacre the Epireans, of course.

Bardock42
Originally posted by HereticalDruid
I will be with you, Bardock. I am a Heretic. That's the non-ex-Jedi version of your character. I think we shouldn't just completely massacre the Epireans, of course.

I do agree with that, partly cause Ush said we shouldn't.

I do think that a reasonable course of action would be to massacre some innocents though. Not too much, don't want to upset all people, just enought to convince the leaders that we'd **** their shit up totally without any regard for any sort of decency. In fact, I think we should torture and kill relatives of the rebellion leaders.

HereticalDruid
Or at least make threats to. If they don't buy our threats, then perhaps they need a demonstration.

We will also have Relle, who is a Brigand and former assassin of some sort. Another new player.

Bardock42
Or at least make threats to. If they don't buy our threats, then perhaps they need a demonstration.

We will also have Relle, who is a Brigand and former assassin of some sort. Another new player.

Yeah, we should probably start with threats.

But first I'd like to have more information anyways. About the whole situation.

Peach
I do agree with that, partly cause Ush said we shouldn't.

I do think that a reasonable course of action would be to massacre some innocents though. Not too much, don't want to upset all people, just enought to convince the leaders that we'd **** their shit up totally without any regard for any sort of decency. In fact, I think we should torture and kill relatives of the rebellion leaders.

Well, apparently Galder and Rianna have been known to make a bit of a game, where they frame Epireans for crimes and then execute them...

Good way to kill boredom. And random slaves.

General Kaliero
Though it's a careful balance. If we kill too many of them, or ones that haven't been refusing our orders, there's a good chance the Epireans will decide the whole situation is hopeless and turn against us completely anyway.

Ushgarak
Ahh, Lizard Boy has hit upon a good point. There has to be some visible reward structure for their co-operation, even if it is just "you get to keep your limbs."

There are many routes with the Epireans- pure force is always one. The problem is, how often do you want to be distracted by having to go kill a load more? What if another rebellion happens whilst you've got something big going on? This combines with your issues as Dark Siders because none of you are wlling to be permanently stuck managing the Epireans whilst everyone else is out conquering the Galaxy.

With a Cultist and a Heretic in the equation, you've a whole load of social options. It's only im miniature, of course, but it's your chance to think about how you might actually run an Empire

Each of these three starting scenarios has a social bit and a violent bit, btw.

Jedirepaer- you sure you want to go through with this? If you would rather re-tool as a Renegade, now is the time to say.

Bardock42
The way I read it there are different leaders, so maybe we can approach each in different ways.

I also think we should appear hard, but not merciless. Unless we completely break their spirit, if that's even possible, I don't think mercilessness would help in the long run. Though I am sure a few public executions of certain people won't lead to that.

General Kaliero
Yay, I made a good point!

Too bad it was against senseless violence.

Bardock42
Originally posted by General Kaliero

Too bad it was against senseless violence.

I can see the Jedi in you.

Was that the harshest insult a Dark Sider can dish out?

Newjak

Too bad it was against senseless violence. You have disgraced the Brigade, off with his tail mad

stick out tongue

Actually I always wondered, or probably read and forgot, but is there anything besides our sheer power that keeps them working for us.

I mean do they like see us as gods, or prophets or anything like that?

Jedireaper
... *thinks* Whats the easiest thing to be? Otherwise I'll stay as the only Jedi Order addition.. big grin

Captain REX
Except you're not the only one. Jovan is a Jedi Knight as well.

Peach
I can see the Jedi in you.

Was that the harshest insult a Dark Sider can dish out?

Funny thing is, he was never a Jedi at all...

And it'd depend on who you're trying to insult stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Peach
Funny thing is, he was never a Jedi at all...

And it'd depend on who you're trying to insult stick out tongue

You could give me a list of how to insult who, I don't want to make myself too well liked, now do I?

Newjak
You could give me a list of how to insult who, I don't want to make myself too well liked, now do I? You also don't want to have a bunch of remorseless killers hate you as well. big grin

Bardock42
Originally posted by Newjak
You also don't want to have a bunch of remorseless killers hate you as well. big grin

It's a thin line, but I am prepared to walk it.

Newjak
It's a thin line, but I am prepared to walk it. Just remember in this game the pen is not mightier then the sword stick out tongue

Bardock42
Just remember in this game the pen is not mightier then the sword stick out tongue

I will keep it in mind. Personally I think brutes will be quite useful in keeping me alive....hehe

Peach
You could give me a list of how to insult who, I don't want to make myself too well liked, now do I?

It'd be more entertaining for you to work it out the hard way.

Bardock42
It'd be more entertaining for you to work it out the hard way.

Entertaining is a subjective term. On the whole I think we will get along just fine though. I am sure I have some skills that will be of use to you psychopaths.

I see a fruitful and healthy coalition ahead of us.

Jedireaper
Im back

Ushgarak
Have you made a decision? There is no 'easy' option.

Bardock42
What decision?

Jedireaper
I'm Jedi

Ushgarak
Okidokey then!

We shall start tomorrow.

Jovan
great!

Jedireaper
Will do my best to be online tomorrow big grin

Bardock42
Okidokey then!

We shall start tomorrow.

Sweet. It didn't start while I was gone.

Peach
Sweet. It didn't start while I was gone.

Heh. I'm sure it'll start as soon as I leave for work. It seems that every single time something RP-related is started, it happens just after I leave.

Bardock42
Heh. I'm sure it'll start as soon as I leave for work. It seems that every single time something RP-related is started, it happens just after I leave.

Not to be inconsiderate....but leave already!!!

Peach
Not to be inconsiderate....but leave already!!!

I actually should have left about five minutes ago stick out tongue

Bardock42
I actually should have left about five minutes ago stick out tongue

Aww, work?

Jedireaper
"Jedireaper reporting for duty, sir!" *waits*

General Kaliero
It'll start while I'm at work, I know it...

Ushgarak

Ushgarak

Ushgarak

Ushgarak
Ok, we'll play it all in here-don't worry, I am sure we will make sense of it- and we are starting quite adjacent to the action; the Jedi are waiting with the Senator shortly beforer the final negotiations begin, the Renegades are in the Village awaitning the Kill Team; the Dark Siders have parked their ship(s) (or you came on large Epirean horses along with Firak, if you wish) a little way away from the sacred site and are about ten minutes away from the meeting.

Before you all spring into action though... take some starting advice from your elders, or ask me any questions you like about the situation.

Jedireaper
EDIT

Bardock42
One question first and foremost, you said we are close to the meeting place, so we have to deal with what we are given for now, right? Meaning, we can't get hostages for example and for now will have to rely on threats and negotiation rather than more direct action (unless slaughtering all of them is an action we want to take, which I personally wouldn't)? Is it a sort of first negotiation or do we intend to solve the situation right now?

On a side, I read back about Epirea, and you said the atmosphere is very dense, is that going to be a problem?

Well, I think that's enough questions for now. When I know that I have another few that I was wondering about which I think might be useful.

General Kaliero
It would be preferable to solve the problem now, in a way that keeps it solved in the long run.

Crazy as it sounds coming from me (and really others, as I know Lana will agree with me here), killing is a last resort. Use those powers of lying, persuasion, intimidation. Maybe a careful Mind Trick here and there if that's your thing. The important part is having the leaders fear what we will do to them if they don't support us, and obviously they can't fear if they're dead.

Bardock42
It would be preferable to solve the problem now, in a way that keeps it solved in the long run.

Crazy as it sounds coming from me (and really others, as I know Lana will agree with me here), killing is a last resort. Use those powers of lying, persuasion, intimidation. Maybe a careful Mind Trick here and there if that's your thing. The important part is having the leaders fear what we will do to them if they don't support us, and obviously they can't fear if they're dead.

I agree. My question was more aiming at whether this one meeting should take care of it or whether there'll be a longer plot, possible with multiple meetings. Of course, I can't really know that at the moment, I suppose, I mean what does my character think of the situation in that regard.

I also agree about the killing part, though, the way Ush phrased it, I am not sure whether we can afford to keep "Ogros" around.

Jedireaper
Not to sure about my first post... Advice... I dont want to go wrong?

Bardock42
Not to sure about my first post... Advice... I dont want to go wrong? I'm not a veteran, but I don't think it's a right or wrong thing so much. Just post about what you didn't understand about the plot, or what you would like to know. Or maybe even just what you think about the plot. I think this is mostly to get into the feeling, you don't need to be a perfect role player and solve everything flawlessly...I wouldn't worry too much.

Ushgarak
Mr. Gordo- the meeting will not start immediately, so you will have a little prep time. But your intelligence about what is going on with the Epireans is not great (something you may wish to fix?) so you got very short nptice on this meeting and its importance. However, you understand that the vote will be taken at the end of the meeting, so it will be settled now.

As for the dense atmosphere- well, I like a man who knows his background! Indeed yes it will be, but I was going to mention that once live play started.

Bardock42
Mr. Gordo- the meeting will not start immediately, so you will have a little prep time. But your intelligence about what is going on with the Epireans is not great (something you may wish to fix?) so you got very short nptice on this meeting and its importance. However, you understand that the vote will be taken at the end of the meeting, so it will be settled now.

As for the dense atmosphere- well, I like a man who knows his background! Indeed yes it will be, but I was going to mention that once live play started.

Would a Savoir Faire Roll fix that? Or if that's nonsense I'd ask Firak to fill me in.

SpikeSpiegel
I think intimidation is a good route to take, remind them that they are dealing with former-jedi. If that doesn't work then maybe we threaten to remove some limbs.

Ushgarak
I meant your long-term Intelligence- before now you've never really paid much attention to Epirean 'politics'.

Firak has mostly filled you in about what is going on npow; he is youe source of info for all the ribal background I gave you.

-

Denzral- well, you can just ponder about what might be happening, about why there might be a strike and what you could do about it. It seems a little odd.

You might worry about the threat- is it real? Is it a distraction? Is it a total fake? hard to find out, but you are a Jedi, maybe you can get some insight on that one.

Meanwhile, when play starts, who do you think it might be worth talking to?

Ushgarak
I think intimidation is a good route to take, remind them that they are dealing with former-jedi. If that doesn't work then maybe we threaten to remove some limbs.

You worry, though. The Serpent are uncompromising people- and your evidence could put them away for a long time.

SpikeSpiegel
Then the next stage is actually removing the limbs stick out tongue

Ushgarak
A desire which actually has some relevance!

For a question for the Renegades is, seeing as you have no Council to answer to, how violent are you willing to be, beyond self-defence?

Bardock42

Well, I also thought itimidation might be a good way to go, it's cheap for one.

Another might be a sort of treaty between us and the leaders, though, who wants to give something if they could just as well have it for free.

Third idea I was thinking about was maybe playing dirty politics and make them fight each other, so they won't even care about us. That's obviously a bit more flawed and less straight forward, it just came to might because they are apparently on the verge of war with each other all the time.

I meant your long-term Intelligence- before now you've never really paid much attention to Epirean 'politics'.

Firak has mostly filled you in about what is going on npow; he is youe source of info for all the ribal background I gave you.

Oh okay, could I still ask him specifics?

On a different note, what do you guys think about quoting, I think it makes it clearer who I am talking to, but it does kinda take away the feeling...so, do you ever quote in game?

Ushgarak
Tends to be down to personal preference. In this particular thread it will be more common as we have three stories going at once; it will be less necessary in the main game.

And sure, ask away at Firak.

Bardock42
"Firak, I'd have a few questions before we meet with the other leaders" Con said, "for one, are there any of the leaders that are positive towars us? And what about this Orgros? Where did he come from and how powerful is he really?"

SpikeSpiegel
A desire which actually has some relevance!

For a question for the Renegades is, seeing as you have no Council to answer to, how violent are you willing to be, beyond self-defence?

I've been thinking about this while doing his backstory. Sean will always try and do the right thing, but he will go as far as it takes to get the job done, stopping short of killing. He also believes that what he thinks is the right thing is more important than the job he's been hired to do.

Ushgarak
Ogros is the leader of the southern-most tribe, furtherst from your mountain, and as far as Firak knows, Ogros is just a big bastard with ambition; he killed the previous leader three years ago and took his place. He's beyond the average leader [and he has a name, which inn gaming terms means he's no Mook);

As for the other tribal leaders, Firak fears that by default, more than half of them are on Ogros' side.

Bardock42
Ogros is the leader of the southern-most tribe, furtherst from your mountain, and as far as Firak knows, Ogros is just a big bastard with ambition; he killed the previous leader three years ago and took his place. He's beyond the average leader
Does he have any absolutely loyal people with him? Guards maybe?

And does Firak think that the leaders will at least be open to our suggestions?

Ushgarak
Sorry, do you mean Firak or Ogros?

Firak hopes so. He finds that you guys can be pretty persuasive if need be. There's another problem though- other than Firak and Ogros, only two of them understand Basic (the standard language). Firak can translate for you but your gnarly Force Powers don't work through an interpreter; other than that you need a good Languages skill.

Long story short- looks like a good template choice there!

Bardock42
Sorry, do you mean Firak or Ogros?

Firak hopes so. He finds that you guys can be pretty persuasive if need be. There's another problem though- other than Firak and Ogros, only two of them understand Basic (the standard language). Firak can translate for you but your gnarly Force Powers don't work through an interpreter; other than that you need a good Languages skill.

Long story short- looks like a good template choice there!

I meant Firak.

Hmm, I don't know, only 1 in languages. Then again I don't know exactly how it works.

I think maybe we can use Orgros' thirst for power to our advantage though. So, them not understanding us, might come in handy.

Would lying and intimidation work through a translator? I assume if the the translator is convinced of the lie it shouldn't be a problem, but intimidation is a whole different thing.

Jedireaper
Why is Gern angry?))

Ushgarak
All Social skills through the interpreter will be treated as lower than they actually are.

-

Gern is angry as the negotiations are not going well!

Bardock42
All Social skills through the interpreter will be treated as lower than they actually are.

-

Gern is angry as the negotiations are not going well!

Fair enough. So, I am in a group with HereticalDruid and who else?

Also, what is our own standing, I mean, what forces do we have or what could we truthfully offer the Epireans?

(I was wondering, could I bump the old Artwork thread, I drew a picture of the lightsaber Con uses and maybe later want to draw him as well)

Ushgarak
You don't have any forces except yourselves!

As for who is with you, well, I am waiting to see who posts in the nexy couple of days or so!

And go for it with the artwork.

Bardock42
Good, good. Well I don't have any questions right now, so I will give it a rest until someone else comes.

Do you think it would be good if I included some sort of outline how I intend to play the character in my Background story?

Jedireaper
Jedi

"Senator Gern, I understand your concern, I cannot garantee that the Minors Guild, or the Miner's themselves will be convinced by the talks, and with the threat of a terrorist attack- the minors will have to feel the sense of security. The Jedi's continued preasence will help the talks but this threat may throw the minors decision a little far from the Sarlaac's mouth." He walked up to Senator Gern, wondering if the threat meassage was something to take seriously. It was definately something of a matter of concern. "I understand your anger senator, I will ofcourse do my best to find an agreement that will suit the needs of as many as possible."

(this is the best I could come up with, but the the worst opening I have ever done)

Ushgarak
Please do.

Jedireaper
Who knows about the threat message?))

Ushgarak
It was delivered over the airwaves from an unknown source, so basically everyone does.

(I shall wait to see how many post before moving on in time, as it were)

Newjak
I say go for the godlike approach. Walk in like you own the place. Find what the hell is going on with Orgos.

Make the other people hate him, make them revere us, then kill him where he stands as the crowd of leaders applaud you calling for his head. stick out tongue

Or something like that.

Ushgarak
Incidentally, Xavier- continuity wise, you found the group during the same time period as the others; as far as you are concerned, why did you not go to sort the Epirean problem?

Newjak
Incidentally, Xavier- continuity wise, you found the group during the same time period as the others; as far as you are concerned, why did you not go to sort the Epirean problem? Maybe he could go stick out tongue

And I don't know. Going to quell a bunch of primitives that offered him no contest in battle would probably be beneath him. That and it didn't involve mass killings big grin

Jedireaper
Can you PM me when we move on, or you post something related to to Denz, I may ask a few questions later on too... I'm gonna write down some important info and character names...))

Bardock42
I say go for the godlike approach. Walk in like you own the place. Find what the hell is going on with Orgos.

Make the other people hate him, make them revere us, then kill him where he stands as the crowd of leaders applaud you calling for his head. stick out tongue

Or something like that.

Oh, don't worry, there won't be any arrogance missing.

Though I fear we might not be able to deliver, when the crap hits the air conditioning.

Peach
Incidentally, Xavier- continuity wise, you found the group during the same time period as the others; as far as you are concerned, why did you not go to sort the Epirean problem?

He annoyed us less, or something.

Funnily enough, I think Dak re-joined at the same time, too...

Anyway, Bardock...you've got a lot of social skills, and are very good with lying and being persuasive. Languages in this would probably go with Intelligence or Charisma, both of which you have pretty high, so I'd think that'd be less of a problem than for most of us...

Also, keep in mind you have Leadership. Could be useful here. Also Intimidation.

Maybe see if you can find out about how Ogros treats his tribe, if you can. You can always claim that he's trying to claim leadership over ALL the tribes and that he'd be a terrible, oppressive leader.

And yeah, killing them might be fun, but save it for if there's no other choice...we can't really afford to piss off the Epireans too much.

Bardock42
He annoyed us less, or something.

Funnily enough, I think Dak re-joined at the same time, too...

Anyway, Bardock...you've got a lot of social skills, and are very good with lying and being persuasive. Languages in this would probably go with Intelligence or Charisma, both of which you have pretty high, so I'd think that'd be less of a problem than for most of us...

Also, keep in mind you have Leadership. Could be useful here. Also Intimidation.

Maybe see if you can find out about how Ogros treats his tribe, if you can. You can always claim that he's trying to claim leadership over ALL the tribes and that he'd be a terrible, oppressive leader.

And yeah, killing them might be fun, but save it for if there's no other choice...we can't really afford to piss off the Epireans too much.

Hmm, I agree, we should find out whether it would be easier to go with Orgros or against him. If he's just power hungry, we could maybe work with that, then again if he is one of those folks with morals and stuff then I would say an execution is in order.

Newjak
Also try to find out how Epirean politics work. Are Tribal leaders picked by bloodline, or is it by test of the strongest one rules the tribe.

Stuff like that. Anything we can find out about their way of doing things will help us that much more.

Bardock42
Also try to find out how Epirean politics work. Are Tribal leaders picked by bloodline, or is it by test of the strongest one rules the tribe.

Stuff like that. Anything we can find out about their way of doing things will help us that much more. That's a good point. I'll ask Firak.

"Firak: "How Epirean politics work? Are Tribal leaders picked by bloodline, or is it by test of the strongest one rules the tribe?""

Incidentally, I'd like to pick a fight at some point, I have no idea how the Combat system works, and I'd like to get familiar with how well I can perform in a combat situation (so far it's just numbers to me).

Ushgarak
We won't be using the game rules I am afraid; they still require offline testing.

Peach
Plus the rest of us have to learn them as well.

Bardock42
Plus the rest of us have to learn them as well.

Oh well, that's fair enough then.

Bardock42
I am wondering though, how did you guys choose before whether to engage an enemy or to run away? Was it obvious from the stats or is it always trial and error?

Ushgarak
The only real way to find the stats of a foe is to engage them, so you hav to rely on judgment and info beforehand.

Generally, though, you are VERY powerful, especially your combat templates. Unless your opponent is also carrying a lightsabre, you need good reason to think they can outfight you.

Bardock42
The only real way to find the stats of a foe is to engage them, so you hav to rely on judgment and info beforehand.

Generally, though, you are VERY powerful, especially your combat templates. Unless your opponent is also carrying a lightsabre, you need good reason to think they can outfight you.

Okay, so even with a named character it's usually safe to assume that we have a good shot one on one.

Ushgarak
Certainly a good shot, yes. Of course, you've taken a very non-combat style character, so if we assume that Ogros is at least SOME threat, you wouldn't want to be the one facing him, just in case.

If I say that Ogros' template is the Primitive Warrior, the vets should be able to give you an assessment.

Peach
Okay, so even with a named character it's usually safe to assume that we have a good shot one on one.

Basically, yes. Even named characters aren't going to stop us too easily, unless they have a lightsaber. Or said character happens to be Rogan.

Stupid Rogan...

Bardock42
Basically, yes. Even named characters aren't going to stop us too easily, unless they have a lightsaber. Or said character happens to be Rogan.

Stupid Rogan...

Who's Rogan.

Certainly a good shot, yes. Of course, you've taken a very non-combat style character, so if we assume that Ogros is at least SOME threat, you wouldn't want to be the one facing him, just in case.

If I say that Ogros' template is the Primitive Warrior, the vets should be able to give you an assessment.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, since Heretical is also kinda non-combat.

Oh, Newjak brought a good question to the table, how are politics done on Epireus? Is it whoever is the strongest? You said Ogros became leader after killing the last, so maybe that would make sense.

Ushgarak
It probably would, yes, though I am trying not to answer questions that have to be asked in-game until we get a full 'cast' as it were. So I'll see who else chips in.

Bardock42
It probably would, yes, though I am trying not to answer questions that have to be asked in-game until we get a full 'cast' as it were. So I'll see who else chips in.

Yeah, wouldn't be fair to play it alone (also probably not possible).

On an out-game note, I shall watch A New Hope now (my girlfriend has never seen it).

Jovan
I have a question... Can someone say who is playing what exactly? I mean, now there are three stories in one thread and with RPG discussion and RPG playing through each other, it is not easy to follow all the time.

I have seen that Jedireaper is playing Jedi too, is there someone besides him and me that is playing Jedi too?

Bardock42
I am playing Dark Side.

SpikeSpiegel
And I'm Renegade. Renegades rule!

Craft
Indeed! Go the Renegades! Sorry about the late post, cursed work.

Captain REX
I think yourself and Jedireaper make up the Jedi team, Jovan.

As for Ogros, I say either try to convert more than half of the tribal leaders to your side. You need majority to secure a vote in your favor, but a majority does not mean everyone. Leave Ogros his few idiots who are unwilling to cooperate, so long as you have more than half.

Siding with Ogros is not an option. Showing him favor will cause the other Epireans to think that rebellion gains rewards. We want to show them that rebellion is idiotic, and Ogros is being hostile as it is. He won't want your support.

HereticalDruid
That was something that concerned Azarl, that more than half have sided with Ogros. But Azarl should be able to speak Epirean adequately. He has an Intellgience of 5, Languages at 1, and his broad Heretical bonus.

Azarl will speak Epirean with Firak to keep him comfortable and not against us. But Azarl is not a persuasive being, so that will be up to you for that Con.

"You say that more than half the tribal leaders are against us," Azarl says. "Is this because they are taken in by Ogros and his plans?"

HereticalDruid
As for where Xavier and Dak are, I think maybe Jordan's short story 'Psycho Brigade' should be what they are up to. Killing pirates that Rand tried coercing into making a raid for parts to fix up what appears to be our collapsing base.

Bespin Bart
Okay! Advise time to the Renegades. First of all, welcome to the gang! I play Xeth Tam, the self-proclaimed leader of a small string of Renegade Jedi who run an investigations unit out of Uridian space. We're good friends with Taloraan because of Xeth's contacts.

I suggest getting as much information about the Golden Serpent kill teams from other sources first, before simply moving against them. It could turn out that you might be moving in over your heads... or that they are few in number.

Also, you do need evidence of their attrocities in the form of filming, which means that they need to be caught in the action. Once that is caught on film, make sure you do NOT lose or damage that film or its recorder. You need it.

Then, jump to the aid of the Houn! Other than self-defense, you are protecting innocents who cannot fend for themselves. We have the right! But only drive off the kill teams, not mercilessly slaughter them. We aren't mercenaries, we're guardians of good. If they can be convinced to leave before you cut them down, go for it.

Craft
Hm, how much time do we have before the kill teams arrive? Is there enough time to hunt down other sources of information? Could the Houn's empathetic link be used to get information from those who have already been attacked?

Tptmanno1
I agree with Chris (BespinBart/Xeth).
And when the Jedi get rolling, I'll speak up more.
But be civil, and try not to burn your bridges (I'm bad at that part.)

Lord Melkor
Actually, I think one of new Darkies has subterfuge?!

It means your lies are extremally believable, so you can easily convince some of the leaders that Ogros plans to destroy them next( especially those with borders next to him!). And you could promise his territory to our allies. After we have majority on our side, it would be the best if Ogros is disposed of, to show that our rule is supreme. A mixture of lies, bribes, threats and force, this is how Gallador would do it.

Jovan
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
And when the Jedi get rolling, I'll speak up more.
But be civil, and try not to burn your bridges (I'm bad at that part.)
But we're standing in the hall ... I don't understand what we can contribute to the story now. I mean, the senator that's leading the operation is standing next to us and he is the one with all the info to start the negotiations. Only thing we can do is remind him that the people need help and thus prestige shouldn't be on place one of priority (without annoying him of course).
That and make sure we don't appear too military: don't show the lightsabres that obvious though still walk with the senator in such a way he can't get sniped down

Bardock42
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
Actually, I think one of new Darkies has subterfuge?!

It means your lies are extremally believable, so you can easily convince some of the leaders that Ogros plans to destroy them next( especially those with borders next to him!). And you could promise his territory to our allies. After we have majority on our side, it would be the best if Ogros is disposed of, to show that our rule is supreme. A mixture of lies, bribes, threats and force, this is how Gallador would do it.

I agree, I think though that disposing of Ogros is heavily depending on the situation we will be exposed to (fight, execution, assasination...)

That was something that concerned Azarl, that more than half have sided with Ogros. But Azarl should be able to speak Epirean adequately. He has an Intellgience of 5, Languages at 1, and his broad Heretical bonus.

Azarl will speak Epirean with Firak to keep him comfortable and not against us. But Azarl is not a persuasive being, so that will be up to you for that Con.

"You say that more than half the tribal leaders are against us," Azarl says. "Is this because they are taken in by Ogros and his plans?"

I agree with that, I think I should probably also be able to talk to the Epireans and I think my Intimidation and Lying skill should come in handy. Something I thought about that you will need to take care of is force power though. In case we have to intimidate them by using the force. I seriously have nothing in that respect (well I could make a little stone move slightly). So, I think when the time comes you being able to use Grip or maybe Lifting (ROTJ style) will be very useful. Which brings me to a sort of plan I've been thinking about.

What I believe we should do, is a) listen to what they have to say (don't want to talk nonsense blindly, though we have to make sure that we aren't passive for too long) and b) create a sort of monolouge that should bring them to our side (intervened with lies and intimidation and possibly examples of our power that should put them in awe). I was thinking of something along the lines of "You probably heard of our powerful magic and our swords of fire (maybe arrogant display of lightsabre). We are God's amongst you(cue you using lift on something big). Ogros wants to oppress your people is ruthless, etc (using their internal conflicts). Be with us and your lives will be better but be against us and our wrath will destroy you (maybe specific threads to the loved ones of the leaders)"

Of course that's just a basic model so far, the exact words need to be thought about.

But tell me what you think, what could be changed, is it stupid all the way, other plans, etc.

I was thinking it would probably be quite terriffic if we could use Religion to oppress the Epireans...it would fit our situation so well.

Ushgarak
Ok, let's answer some queries! I'll give this one more day's prep time before we kick into 'action.

-

JEDI

I started you next to the Senator because he's the guy you can ask to get basic questions answered without having to establish yourself first, as you are both working for the Republlic. Technically speaking you are here as an arbitrator, not a negotiator; the Senator is doing the negotiation but, with the diplomatic skills and respect of a Jedi, you are meant to be able to settle the issue. In theory you could make a judgment to forcibly settle the issue but that's dodgy with a Senator around; he may feel you are trampling on his authority, so it is good to be political about this (and seeing as this is a Senatorial matter, if you make a truly objectionable judgment it will probably get legally reviewed).

Long story short, the best thing for you to do is see what the problem is and then see if you can sort it out. You are with the Senator now; you'll get the opposing point of view inside negotiations. If you DO want to slip off and see someone first though, feel free.

Suggesting things to the Senator 'without annoying him' is the real trick, of course...

But if you wish we can just dive straight in!

In Gern's opinion, the Miners' Guild is just agitating the situation so they can make more money out of it. "It's totally irresponsible," says Gern. "Don't they realise we are trying to do these people a favour?"

-

RENEGADES

The soft buzzing from the Houn tells yoou that from what they can tell the kill teams are about fifty strong, mostly mercenaries and the llke, with two heavioes in charge. Each team also makes use of ahalf a dozen light vehicles- open-topped walkers adapted for the planetary terrain; these blaster and buzzsaw equipped walkers carve through forests and, for that matter, houses.

They are quite well teched up but the Houn understand little of such things.

A precise time of arrival is hard to get, but you sense it will be soon.

-

DARK SIDE

Unfortunately due to the general primitive conditions on Lanzar, communications are not great and Firak has no certain source on how Ogros has won people around. Firak feels you have two potential problems- first of all, the Epireans simply have no natural reason to follow you so by default they probably side with him. Secondly, Ogros is likely able to threaten those leaders that live closest to him; his tribe is numerically the strongest. There are two such leaders in close proximity.

The Epireans have not established any form of dynastic thought; their leaders are by strength alone, not birth. Their relgious beliefs are extremely basic and pagan- water, sun, trees etc (and in the case of this sacred site, large rocks). They have not really personified what they worship. Firak's lot are beginning to see your Force powers in religious terms though.

Bardock42
Well, I'd say we speed up their perception of us as worshipable.

2 things I think should be specifically noted:

a) Leadership by strength alone: we might be able to just challenge Ogros him to a duel...well, not me, but heretical, maybe

and

b)Two leaders close to Ogros: We could possibly make them turn against Ogros together.

Lord Melkor
Regarding duel- you are not most combat capable. Maybe Firak challenges him and you cheat with your Force Powers? Would Epireans consider using Force powers to be cheating?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>