Worst movies of the year so far

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AdamW.
Like with the other thread, we are a little over halfway through the year, what're the worst you've seen so far?

It isn't worst five or anything, all of them. Worst is first.

I haven't seen many movies so far this year, so only three movies made my list.

1. Funny Games-Despite hard efforts it just ends up being boring, tedious, and dumb.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian-Doesn't equal the magic of the first, causing it to be uninteresting and only compelling in pieces.

3. The Eye-Not terrible, but doesn't offer up enough thrills or intrigue to stop it from being another generic Japanese remake. Surprisingly Jessica Alba wasn't necessarily bad, she just wasn't great.

ragesRemorse
out of all of the movie's out there you are really choosing prince caspian and funny games?

hmm..., interesting

AdamW.
As I said, I haven't seen many movies yet this year. I really hated Funny Games and Prince Caspian was boring and disapointing.

Selphie
First thing that comes to mind is Prom Night

Myth
I just realized how fortunate I have been this year. I was pretty good at avoiding the crap.

These are the worst I've seen:

You Don't Mess with the Zohan
The Love Guru (though I watched this one directly after Zohan which probably made it seem not as bad considering Zohan was terrible)
Semi-Pro
Be Kind Rewind (not necessarily bad, just disappointing)

Funny thing is, I watched Zohan and Guru last week, so my list would have been half the size had it been a week ago.

Toku King
Seriously? You guys aren't including "Meet The Spartans" or "The Hottie And The Nottie"?

T.M
10,000 BC is defiantly up there from what I have seen.

ragesRemorse
is 10,000 bc 2008? damn, that movie was so bad it feels like it has been around since 06.

from the one's ive seen

indiana jones 4
Vantage point
Drillbit taylor
fools gold
the happening
88 minutes
Strange wilderness ( ithink it came out this year)

movie's so bad that even the trailers were hard to watch

The love guru
Zohan
Meet the spartans
Prom Night
Witless protection

WrathfulDwarf
Meet the Spartans.

I dare anyone to top that...

MildPossession
88 Minutes was quite awful.

The original wasn't Japanese anyway. But yeah, The Eye remake probably was rubbish, looked it.

Funny Games was a pointless remake, it was nothing special but wouldn't put it at worst.

=Tired Hiker=
Gosh, it's tough to decide. Either 88 Minutes or The Dark Knight, I just can't decide right now. hmm

Bardock42
Indiana Jones was just so disappointing I'd have to vote that.

I also hated Sex and the City, but the bar was just much, much lower to begin with.

SnakeEyes
I'd have to agree with you. Indy 4 was just such a disappointment for me. Definitely not the worst movie to be released this year, but it's safe to say I expected more from it than I did other movies that were blatantly terrible from the trailers, etc.

As for the worst movie this year? I wouldn't know, I tend to avoid them. I don't watch movies that I think are going to be extremely terrible (ie Meet the Spartans, Meet Dave, etc.).

ragesRemorse
lol omg, meet dave. I can't wait to spend an afternoon watch that followed by pluto nash and dr dolittle 2

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MildPossession

Funny Games was a pointless remake, it was nothing special but wouldn't put it at worst.

you know what? Once you mentioned something about the original. I was a bit excited and decided to look it up. I liked this latest version very much, but I had no idea that Hanake remade this movie, shot for shot, from a movie he made ten years ago. i mean wow, just...,wow confused I am bewildered.

I usually like Hanake, but i do not know what to make of this movie anymore. How is the original?

AdamW.
Originally posted by Selphie
First thing that comes to mind is Prom Night Originally posted by Toku King
Seriously? You guys aren't including "Meet The Spartans" or "The Hottie And The Nottie"?

Well it's movies that people have seen, but I have seen half of Prom Night and Meet the Spartans. For what I saw, it was terrible.(Prom Night might even have been the funnier of the two.)

88 Minutes was quite awful.

The original wasn't Japanese anyway. But yeah, The Eye remake probably was rubbish, looked it.

In my mind, Funny Games was a terrible movie. When I said worst(in my case) I was just putting down the movies I'd seen that I didn't like. Like with Prince Caspian, the movie wasn't terrible by any means but I didn't like it.

BackFire
I really liked the new Funny Games. Haven't seen the original yet, though.

Ax3l
Funny Games wasn't all that bad. Any movie that uses some Naked City in their soundtrack has to be doing something right.

Those who don't know. This is the song:

sHGxmOx3ReM

MildPossession
It probably will not change your view on the remake since it is almost shot for shot just with different actors, but do check it out to compare it at least. The original deserves the viewing and I prefer the acting in the original compared to the remake. I found the two leads, the boys, more disturbing compared to Pitt and the other guy, probably helped because I'd never seen them before in anything.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
is 10,000 bc 2008? damn, that movie was so bad it feels like it has been around since 06.

from the one's ive seen

indiana jones 4
Vantage point
Drillbit taylor
fools gold
the happening
88 minutes
Strange wilderness ( ithink it came out this year)

movie's so bad that even the trailers were hard to watch

The love guru
Zohan
Meet the spartans
Prom Night
Witless protection

havent seen many of those I agree that from the ones I have seen of those mentioned,they were really dissapointing.Vantage Point,The Happening-not surprising since M Night directed it.cant remember the name of it but the one that was supposedly based on true events but wasnt and was a horror movie but the WORST One? got to go with Indiana Jones since it was so bad and not a great flick like the original trilogy was.I wouldnt go as far and be absurd like some people have been saying in other threads saying it was one of the worst movies of all time,thats going overboard,just worst movie of the year probably.

TKM
10,000 B.C.

That movie was just off. It shouldn't have made it to theaters. I wish I never paid to go see that mess. I would have been more satisfied spending my money on black licorice.

Besides they fooled me. They only showed the good parts on t.v.

moviebuff1084
the happening and The Strangers are up there both were just so... bad and i paid to see them in theaters cause i thought they would be good. well there 15 bucks ill never see again.

Menetnashté
10,000 BC and Vantage Point were both horrible, I only watched a bit of Meet the Spartans like 5 minutes so I don't feel right judging it.

moviebuff1084
Im seeing a bunch of people putting down Vantage Point it was not that bad imo. The going back and forth got old after a while but still it was a good enough movie for a 1 time watch.

papabeard
Pretty much everything sucked.

Toku King
"Love Guru" takes my vote. Just saw it tonight with some buddies, and it was so bad that we walked out. This is the first film I've ever walked out on in theaters. I mean, holy crap.

ragesRemorse
yeah, Zohan and love guru get my vote for worst comedies. Meet the Spartans is better than that garbage.

Street Kings deserves a nod for top tier shitty shit.

Seer Q'Anilia
The Dark Knight.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Seer Q'Anilia
The Dark Knight.

blink blink

MildPossession
Q'Anilia - What films do you think are the best so far then...

Master Crimzon
I haven't actually seen an excruciatingly bad movie this year. I generally avoid movies I know are going to suck.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by papabeard
Pretty much everything sucked.

sounds like you didnt see IRONMAN or THE DARK KNIGHT? those certainly didn't.

The person who listed dark knight must have confused this thread and thought it said BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Toku King
I expect that's because most people don't spend their time watching films quite so obviously atrocious.

Toku King
Originally posted by Kovacs86
I expect that's because most people don't spend their time watching films quite so obviously atrocious.

You'll be surprised.

MildPossession
I hope so.

Q'Anilia
Originally posted by Kazenji
blink blink

Batman: The Dark Knight was an astunishing movie. It wasnt far from perfection. But when I saw it, I couldnt help but to think to myself that it was the worst thing that could actually happen. By being as good as it was, it raised the bar of what a good movie should be like. By raising the bar as high as it did, future films with the same touch will be not appear as good as they might be.

This is just my view of things, so I expect a large varity of disagreeal. While Dark Knight was one of the best movies ever, it was the worst thing that could happen.

Q'Anilia - What films do you think are the best so far then...

Some of my favorites this year is:
88 Minutes, Iron Man, Hancock, The Dark Knight, Kung Fu Panda

Some of my most disliked this year:
Cloverfield, The Dark Knight

Diamond Kisses
Your an odd piece of bunny, you know that?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Q'Anilia
By being as good as it was, it raised the bar of what a good movie should be like. By raising the bar as high as it did, future films with the same touch will be not appear as good as they might be.

it wasn't THAT good.

moviebuff1084
Batman: The Dark Knight was an astunishing movie. It wasnt far from perfection. But when I saw it, I couldnt help but to think to myself that it was the worst thing that could actually happen. By being as good as it was, it raised the bar of what a good movie should be like. By raising the bar as high as it did, future films with the same touch will be not appear as good as they might be.

This is just my view of things, so I expect a large varity of disagreeal. While Dark Knight was one of the best movies ever, it was the worst thing that could happen.

So the movie was bad because it was so good? confused Sir you are the first person i ever heard of to see a great movie and then say, Oh my god why is this movie this good, damn it why did they do a good job i hate life!!!

Q'Anilia
it wasn't THAT good.

Disagreeal #1 smile

Originally posted by moviebuff1084
So the movie was bad because it was so good? confused Sir you are the first person i ever heard of to see a great movie and then say, Oh my god why is this movie this good, damn it why did they do a good job i hate life!!!

To sum it all up, I did find the movie too good, yes.

ragesRemorse
Disagreeal #1 smile

To sum it all up, I did find the movie too good, yes.

But it's still one of the worst movies of the year? blink

Q'Anilia
But it's still one of the worst movies of the year? blink

Well, I guess my thoughts could be rephrased. It was the best movie of the year, but the worst thing that could happen. At least to me.

Kazenji
The worst thing that could happen ??

pffft more like meet the spartans was the worst thing that happen.

SnakeEyes
Well, I guess my thoughts could be rephrased. It was the best movie of the year, but the worst thing that could happen. At least to me.

With all due respect, that is one of the dumbest reactions I've heard of to The Dark Knight.

moviebuff1084
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
With all due respect, that is one of the dumbest reactions I've heard of to The Dark Knight.

Agreed. laughing laughing

MildPossession
88 Minutes? oh dear.

Myth
My guess is that 88 Minutes was good because it evened out what Dark Knight did by lowering the bar.

skyfather
dark knight

ragesRemorse
88 Minutes? oh dear.

laughing out loud

Does that count though? Isn't that movie something like three years old?

moviebuff1084
Originally posted by skyfather
dark knight

Oh no not another one. sad

Q'Anilia
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

Agreed. laughing laughing

Originally posted by Myth
My guess is that 88 Minutes was good because it evened out what Dark Knight did by lowering the bar.

Kazenji
Hooray!!

you can count.

Q'Anilia
You didnt count on that, did ya? big grin

ragesRemorse
My friend made me watch Surfer dude with him. That is definitely the worst movie i have seen in the last two years.

Mr Parker
Oh no not another one. sad

yeah,please not another one trying to be funny? roll eyes (sarcastic)

jaden101
ok...so while i agree that TDK isn't the worst film of the year...the opinion that it is is no more ridiculous than the people who say it's the best film ever...infact it's not even the best film of the year...which easily goes to wall-e...so far anyway

MildPossession
Wall.E was perfect!! can't wait for the dvd release, I believe it's this year, yayyyyyyyyyyy.

It doesn't matter, you are wrong, a whole movie nearly of watching that Matthew Mcoguthylgght, whatever, walking around topless!! yes please.

smile

ragesRemorse

a whole movie nearly of watching that Matthew Mcoguthylgght, whatever, walking around topless!! yes please.

smile

Isn't that what he does in all of his movie's?

MildPossession
I don't remember him topless in Tropic Thunder stick out tongue

jadeily
Dark Knight was disappointing. Heath Ledger did an excellent job though. I expected more, but I have no complains about the movie. Just that I expected more lol.

Love Guru is such a ridiculous movie.
Typical, Jessica Alba and Mike Myers were in that movie. Haha. Love Guru was no doubt one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Absolutely pointless and full of shyt.
The Eye was... well, if only there was more than just a 'haunted eye'. It was disappointing.

From what I've heard, thank God I haven't seen You Don't Mess With The Zohan. It does sound like shyt...

But my vote for the worst movie of the year is Love Guru.
For now. We still have another 2-3 months haha.

ragesRemorse
I think Dark Knight is overrated but how much more were you expecting? There was enough for two movies..., three main characters, several epic action sequences, plot twists and three subplots laughing out loud

jadeily
laughing out loud More action? big grin

jaden101
I think Dark Knight is overrated but how much more were you expecting? There was enough for two movies..., three main characters, several epic action sequences, plot twists and three subplots laughing out loud

obviously the motto "less is more" is completely lost on Nolan

and for a film that had so much plot...why was there 45 minutes of completely boring emptiness in the film

they could've cut out huge chunks of the film...including several of the sub plots and made it a shorter and more impactful film

instead people creamed themselves because of the hype the film got particularly in the aftermath of Ledger's death...and like any other film with so much hype (starwars ep 1+3, matrix sequels) there's was no way they could live up to it and thus people get disappointed

i said it before...while it's nowhere near the worst (for me that would have to be "taken" with liam neeson) it's nowhere near the best...and it's most definitely nowhere near best film ever which i'm sure alot of the people who were espousing that opinion when the film came out now cringe at the thought that they got caught up in the hype

i remember somebody stating that after the dark knight came out, it was at no1 in IMDB's best films list...well it's now fell to 4th behind the shawshank redemption and the godfather 1+2...and i personally think it will continue to fall as even now the hype has clearly died and people are seeing it in a more objective light...

for me, the most entertaining part of it was the bank robbery at the start

AdamW.
Never Back Down-pretentious much?

MildPossession
I was not bored once through the whole of Dark Knight and can't wait to watch it again on the dvd release.

iraiam
anything with Adam Sandler in it

Kazenji
Originally posted by jaden101

and for a film that had so much plot...why was there 45 minutes of completely boring emptiness in the film

45 mintues of of completely boring emptiness

what part was that ?.

MildPossession
I missed it too, Jaden is just a silly billy stick out tongue

Love ya.

jaden101
Love ya too...i'm still right though stick out tongue

oh...and everything after Rachel's death up until the finale...boring...all the tacked on stuff about 2-face...boring AND pointless...and could've been put in a seperate film...all the stuff about him going to hong kong to get the crime lord...boring

the only entertaining bit in that whole section of film...the joker at the hospital

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.