Lucas wants Indy 5..but Spielberg says otherwise...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Two men with different ideas clash:

You can read the full interview here:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article4386319.ece

I would love another Indiana Jones film. However, I think is best to have a Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Movie. We'll see what the future holds for our beloved archeologist. smile

Jovan
Let's hope Lucas loses this battle!

Devil King
Wow! I've never heard Lucas so blatantly accept responsibility for being the one who's totally crapping all over his own movies. Maybe I've been unnescessarily hard on Spielberg. Probably not.

I can just see it now. Indiana Jones 5: Indiana Jones in Space. Maybe Indy can find the archaeological remains of a race of humans that lived a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Jabba the Hutt's son can be in it and holographic Chewbacca can be the one that provides all the clues. Oh, and this time I think the entire cast and sets and opening credits and our interest should be entirely CGI.

Jesus! Can these people not develop any standards?

roughrider
Originally posted by Jovan
Let's hope Lucas loses this battle!

Lucas owns the rights to Indiana Jones. He was able to do the TV series without Spielberg getting involved. But for the features, he wants his friend to be part of it.
I don't know what Spielberg means about going back in the past. Recasting the role and starting over? I can't see anyone but Harrison Ford doing it.

Jovan
no, I think he means: doing less CGI, having a decent McGuffin, making the story important etc... hopefully also going back to nazi's wink

roughrider
Originally posted by Jovan
no, I think he means: doing less CGI, having a decent McGuffin, making the story important etc... hopefully also going back to nazi's wink

AND using a 66-year old Harrison Ford? Can't see that, if he wants to go back in the past. Ford can't pass for 40 anymore.

queeq
Lucas should listen more to Spielberg. Darabont's script to INdy 4, which Spielberg loved and LUcas hated, was way better that what Koepp had to cook up, as ordered by LUcas.

I think a 50+ can work, but get a decent McGuffin and decent characters. But by the time they sort this out, I think we're gonna have Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Geriatric Ward...

roughrider
The story Lucas cooked up was also worked on by two of Spielberg's guys - Jeff Nathanson & David Koepp. Spielberg likes Koepp too much; hence substandard films like The Lost World & War Of The Worlds.

Mr Parker
please put yout foot down spielberg and stand up to george and say-sorry george,no more Indy movies.Not with me anyways.for the love of god Steven,dont give in to George.

WrathfulDwarf
Spielberg just want to have Indy kicking some Nazis ass. stick out tongue

queeq
Can't blame him.

coolmovies
Listen to the master lucus !!!!!!!!

queeq
Lucas a master???

Kazenji
Well he use to be......But he's lost the plot lately

Originally posted by roughrider
Spielberg likes Koepp too much; hence substandard films like The Lost World & War Of The Worlds.

But Koepp also wrote the screenplay for Jurassic Park and spielberg manage to make a good film from that might have been because he had help from Michael Crichton.

queeq
Didn't he write Minority Report too? That was a good film.

Kazenji
Nope, these two guys did

Scott Frank (screenplay) and
Jon Cohen (screenplay)

Sadako of Girth
Okay score one for Spielberg.
Strike one very big one for Lucas.

Yay for the past. **** the future if it means Shia leBeof being assisted in ramming down our throats by a shitty glass of inappropriate CGI in every excursion against boring, boring enemies and pointless McGuffins.

Heat_Vision
I might be talking out of my ass because I didn't bother to read the articles but it sounds like they're pushing for an Indiana Jones Begins type of deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see the story follow this new mysterious character that turned out to be his son in The Crystal Skull. He seems like he could be a little darker then Jones was or at least have more of an edge to his character. When the job calls for dirty tricks you bring in the son of the man that started the fight. /cough (Bush)

WrathfulDwarf
I mention this before but Crystal Skull could have used Nazis instead of
Soviets. It would have made PERFECT sense! After WWII many Nazis escaped to South America to avoid war trials. But Soviets? They only care about science and space exploration. Not much connection. Nazis were more occcultists and sinister.

I say this...let Lucas keep Indiana in the 50s but throw in some Nazis in the story. Heck! they can use skinheads if they want.

Jedireaper
I miss Lawrence Kazdan, he wrote thr best screenplays... SW: Empire, Jedi, Indy: Raiders.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed his lack of includance was a nail in the coffin.

Heat_Vision
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Soviets. It would have made PERFECT sense! After WWII many Nazis escaped to South America to avoid war trials. But Soviets? They only care about science and space exploration. Not much connection. Nazis were more occcultists and sinister.

I say this...let Lucas keep Indiana in the 50s but throw in some Nazis in the story. Heck! they can use skinheads if they want.
I think it was more of a **** you to the soviets because of thier tentacles being in the war that America is presently in. If we were still fighting the Nazis or they somehow (how?) remanifested into present afairs maybe he would have felt the urge to say **** you to the Nazis. As it stands some young kid out there somewhere enjoyed the movie and that young kid may turn out to be the future Nazi ruler of the world. Wtf were you thinking Steven? Also, while I have your attention I would like to open my own club and I was woundering if I could borrow a million dollars? I promise I will pay it back with a quarter mill on top to grease your wheels for any future projects you might have.

Your Amigo,
Heat_Vision

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jedireaper
I miss Lawrence Kazdan, he wrote thr best screenplays... SW: Empire, Jedi, Indy: Raiders.

Well he was "one" of the writers with those films.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

I say this...let Lucas keep Indiana in the 50s but throw in some Nazis in the story. Heck! they can use skinheads if they want. I think they could have had both Nazis and Soviets. Think about it, instead of Soviets searching for the Crystal Skull its former-Nazis. Then, upon finding the Crystal skull, one of them sees the space ship/dimension ship, escapes, gets caught by the Commies, and tells them everything. Next movie, voila, Indiana's villains are now the Commies searching for technology from those aliens, and the movies have had a good transition from Nazis to Soviets.

SnakeEyes
Indy 4 was a letdown; another sequel would probably be worse.

They should stop while they're already behind imo and not create another poor sequel.

queeq
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I think they could have had both Nazis and Soviets. Think about it, instead of Soviets searching for the Crystal Skull its former-Nazis. Then, upon finding the Crystal skull, one of them sees the space ship/dimension ship, escapes, gets caught by the Commies, and tells them everything. Next movie, voila, Indiana's villains are now the Commies searching for technology from those aliens, and the movies have had a good transition from Nazis to Soviets.

Darabont had both in his script.

Jedireaper
Lucas, forget about making kid friendly films which KotCS evdently is... and it sucked like Sith, oops, shit!

Sadako of Girth
"Euuuurrrrghmmmm... Yes George..... To Jedireaper you listen!!!
Mind what taught you he has, save you it can!! heheheheheheheheee"

queeq
hehehe

TheVapor
I am unaware of the full details of the original script made for Indy 4, so could someone please tell me what was originally the story for Indy 4?

queeq
Err... what'd you call original. Originally it was to be about aliens.

TheVapor
Well I believe there is supposed to be some differences between what was originally considered, and what actually got in. Are these differences worth mentioning or are they just trivial?

queeq
Well, no. I think not. The problem is that basically some scripts were written based on lucas' ideas but they didn't quite capture Lucas' original idea about what teh storyline should be. So what should we consider as 'original' in this case?

TheVapor
I guess I'm referring to the original scripts that didn't capture Lucas' idea for what should happen.

queeq
Ah... well, I liked the Darabont script myself. It seemed to work much better.

Sadako of Girth
Could you PM me such a script?

Im actually quite interested in the "what could have been" alternative.

queeq
You better PM me with your e-mail...

Sadako of Girth
Done.

Cheers, Mr Queeq. smile

queeq
Received and responded

Sadako of Girth
big grin Nice one, matey. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...Jim Laaaaaaaaaaaaad..!!!

queeq
It's Indy, Sadako, but not as we know it.

Sadako of Girth
"Its worse than that....hes dead Jim."

queeq
"Not dead...only raped to the bone."

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

Yes.....right in the childhood.

queeq
Ouch time.

Sadako of Girth
Santa Claus: Dead.

Tooth Fairy: Dead.

Easter Bunny: Dead.

Belief in God: KIA

Belief in kharma: Wounded

Belief that England will ever win the world cup again: Dead

Dreams of seeing big screen G1 Transformers. Raped, Killed dead and raped again. With more necrophillic rape to come in a few weeks.

Dreams of there one day being a decent Indy continuation: Dead and on display at the national rape museum, where 5-7,000 people a day ejaculate their filthy CGI penile effluence all over Indy's cold, dead ass.

queeq
Good list. Can you still laugh?

Sadako of Girth
No. I had to give that up. sad

queeq
Figures

Sadako of Girth
Yes awareness is a b*tch.

queeq
Always

Sadako of Girth
I will one day, laugh again, and laugh heartily, but it will for now, require that idiot guy going in to avenge his f**ked leg, by a simliar assault on the fence again, this time with his other leg......

Or maybe he could try headbutting it this time..

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
Ahhhhhh yes. A smile beigins..... and yes there is laughter at the though.....

I was wrong Queeq!

I CAN laugh again!!!!!

*Looks optimistically into the sunset and for the 1st time looks forward to a brighter tommorrow filled with A+E emergencies for idiots all over the world.*

queeq
How romantic.

Sadako of Girth
It was Bay Directed. I had no choice.

Did the pointless 360 rotating shot desperately trying to convey undue reverance not give it away....?

queeq
You forgot the explosions and the flying through the air firing two pistols.

Sadako of Girth
Theyre in the next scene.

The scene was initially about a shower cutting to a visit to the local store. But it need more pacing. So the F22s and CGI inserts of big chinned flag waving uniformed ex-models designed purely to sell the military image as glamourous were added in post.

queeq
Sounds like a good choice, that way you add some realism to an otherwise forced scene.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed. No one would have EVER bought the shower thing. Much less a visit...! TO A STORE...!!!!???

Its just stretching the suspension of disbelief too thin.

More military, more sports cars and explosions always reflects the gritty reality of life in the suburbs. And the faster we can do big 360 tracking shots, the quicker the audience will appreciate that shot of the guy picking up his newspaper.

queeq
Exactly. Besides, it wasn't so much the shower scene on itself, or the store scene. The two cut back to back, that's kinda... ya know... who does that? That kinda transition never happens in real life. You just feel something's missing... like the normal things on the street: guns, planes, explosions...

Sadako of Girth
....death and maimery.

Absolutely. The visual flow of the piece can only be stifled, in an environment deprived of the dynamicism that military grade fireworks can lend to that shot of 'man taking dump'.

queeq
Some filmmakers don't get it, they say they want to show reality but they always forget the everyday blood and guts around us.

Sadako of Girth
Its insane.

How will it sell minus the high octane explosive polishedness that Tarantino could only envy....? stick out tongue

Seriously- minimalism and Hollywood are legally seperated by court injunction.

queeq
Hehehe... here's a nice quote by Michael Bay from the latest issue of Empire: "Nobody can do destruction like I can."

Sadako of Girth
To the credibility of anyone/anything he works with/on....?

Indeed.

queeq
Hehehe

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.