Who is the most popular videogame character?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Who's the most popular videogame character?

The j0keR
Gotta be Mario, for so long(maybe not as much right now) he has always been the face of video games. People who dont know shit about games, they still know Mario.

Bardock42
Yeah, probably Mario.

Or maybe lately that Pikachu? Doesn't everyone know that.

BackFire
The answer is Mario. Without a doubt.

MadMel
im sure theres a thread for this erm
but yea mario erm

leonheartmm
mario
packman
pikachu
megaman
link
solid snake
sephiroth

Obsidian Fury
Mario

Obsidian Fury
Originally posted by leonheartmm
mario
packman
pikachu
megaman
link
solid snake
sephiroth

Solid Snake is a popular one, but does not belong among the top ones, no matter how good the games are and how cool the character is.

(And it's spelled Pacman)

Kinneary
Mario. Young and old, everyone knows Mario. Megaman doesn't have the mainstream exposure, Sephiroth DEFINITELY doesn't, Pikachu is mostly for younger gamers, pacman isn't so popular anymore, and Solid Snake might have a great following, but come on. Really? And Pacman definitely doesn't have the popularity he had like twenty years ago.

It's Mario. Probably followed by Sonic.

Obsidian Fury
Sonic? In modern popularity, Master Chief is likely above Sonic.

Vampire Savior
Nintendo characters or Pacman OR The Tetris Blocks...

ESB -1138
I would say Mario and second would most likely be Sonic. Come on; how many game series can throw out crappy game after crappy game and still sell as well as Sonic has?

Kinneary
Originally posted by Obsidian Fury
Sonic? In modern popularity, Master Chief is likely above Sonic.
Master Chief is definitely popular, but he doesn't even begin to reach the wide demographic that not only played Sonic video games, but watched him on television.

Our modern video game characters are more talked about than Sonic and Mario, but the amount of people who know who those two are isn't even comparable.

Neo Darkhalen
Mario
Sonic
Megaman

DigiMark007
We'd have to define popularity. Current popularity? Popularity at their peak? Or are we assuming an experiment where we ask every person on earth to identify various characters? Whoever gets recognized more is more popular. A few have already touched on this distinction, which would be needed to make this a more objective analysis.

Because in something like Sonic v. Master Chief, MC has current but I'd go out on a limb and say Sonic is more universally recognizable, if only because he's been around longer, and on more systems.

Mario and Link, obviously, though. Those are a pretty clear 1-2 in my mind.

((The_Anomaly))
First off I'm taking "popular" to mean more widley known since knowing what character people like more is very difficult to actually know. Second, Sonic is WAYYYYY more known then any 'Gaylo' character probably ever will be. Master Chief isnt even in the same league as Sonic in that respect. Without a doubt though Mario is the most known character, I'd say hes about as recognisable as Superman or Mickey Mouse, EVERYONE knows him even people who have never seen or touched a video game before. No other character in videogames comes even remotley close to Mario, hell most characters in ALL media dont come close to Mario. He is an Icon, to many, Mario IS the poster boy of videogames.

DigiMark007
Grom Hellscream

yes

GenomeFrozener
Mario and Pikachu.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
First off I'm taking "popular" to mean more widley known since knowing what character people like more is very difficult to actually know. Second, Sonic is WAYYYYY more known then any 'Gaylo' character probably ever will be. Master Chief isnt even in the same league as Sonic in that respect. Without a doubt though Mario is the most known character, I'd say hes about as recognisable as Superman or Mickey Mouse, EVERYONE knows him even people who have never seen or touched a video game before. No other character in videogames comes even remotley close to Mario, hell most characters in ALL media dont come close to Mario. He is an Icon, to many, Mario IS the poster boy of videogames.

I dunno; Sonic gives Mario a huge run for his money in this field. Heck Sonic is so popular he was the first video game character to be placed in the Macy Day Parade.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I dunno; Sonic gives Mario a huge run for his money in this field. Heck Sonic is so popular he was the first video game character to be placed in the Macy Day Parade.

It's kinda sad to look at him now really.

Blax_Hydralisk
It really is.

Oh... Sonic. How you've fallen.

The j0keR

I dont think Sonic is anywhere near Mario in popularity. The name "Sonic" has become a joke almost in the game industry.

Neo Darkhalen
i thought it became a joke around the time of Sonic 06

((The_Anomaly))
Yea Sonic is the closest to Mario, but hes still not close. If I put a picture of Sonic infront of my 93 year old grandma she wouldnt know who it is, if I did the same with Mario she'd kow exactly who it was even though shes prolly never even seen a Mario game in her life.

Vampire Savior
Sonic may not be as popular as Mario but he is WAAAAY cooler, Mario is close to the bottom of the barrel for me.

I do think that Sonic and Pacman are the most popular non Nintenedo dudes.

leonheartmm
oh yea forgot sonic. ryu is up there from street fighter, yoshi used to be pretty well known, dante from devil may cry is pretty well known too.

Dark-Jaxx
Dante can suck the fattest part of my dick.

It is obviously Mario.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Dante can suck the fattest part of my dick.

It is obviously Mario.

he can, but hed much rather slice it to ribbons with his huge sword and eternal coolness.

Blax_Hydralisk
Dante? Well known? Ha. I doubt there's very many non-gamers who know who the hell Dante is. He's just your generic transsexual anime character... He's not nearly as iconic as 99% of Nintendo's people. Donkey Kong, Peach, even freakin' Wario is probably more well known then Dante.

Mairuzu
dante from devil may cry is pretty well known too.
Who?

DarkC
Mario.

Dark-Jaxx
he can, but hed much rather slice it to ribbons with his huge sword and eternal coolness. Nah. The little pussy would suck it all night long as I pimp slap the shit out of his queer, overrated, man-bra wearin ass.

Nemesis X
Kratos is a popular video game character. I still think Mario's cool and all but his games started to bore me half to death. Nintendo fanboys are gonna spew angry nonsense at me now are they?

Morridini
Mario at first
Luigi at second.
After that it gets really hard, the Tetris blocks maybe.

Utrigita
Pac-man, mario, sonic

First_Tsurugi06
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Kratos is a popular video game character. I still think Mario's cool and all but his games started to bore me half to death. Nintendo fanboys are gonna spew angry nonsense at me now are they?

I wouldn't say Kratos' fame goes beyond the knowledge of an at least marginally Sony-savvy gamer, of which there are many nowadays of course. The same can be said about Dante. They're not icons so much as they are "high-tier mascots"--once you know of them, you probably won't forget about them.

Anyway, Mario is a given, he's THE video game icon. Sonic, DK, Link, etc. are all just as easy to remember. Ryu of Street Fighter should be recognizable even if you don't know his name (the same can be said for Chun-Li). As far as the modern crowd is concerned, I do believe Solid Snake is certainly popular and well-known enough to justify calling him an icon, he's more recgnizable than even some of Nintendo's characters. Oh, and Metal Gear kinda, you know...pioneered the stealth-action genre. I'd probably put him where I put Ryu, only his name is more likely to be known.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Dante? Well known? Ha. I doubt there's very many non-gamers who know who the hell Dante is. He's just your generic transsexual anime character... He's not nearly as iconic as 99% of Nintendo's people. Donkey Kong, Peach, even freakin' Wario is probably more well known then Dante.

A lot of hardcore gamers probably never even heard of Dante. Mario is number one with Sonic at number two and more or less it would be Pacman.

Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
Anyway, Mario is a given, he's THE video game icon. Sonic, DK, Link, etc. are all just as easy to remember. Ryu of Street Fighter should be recognizable even if you don't know his name (the same can be said for Chun-Li). As far as the modern crowd is concerned, I do believe Solid Snake is certainly popular and well-known enough to justify calling him an icon, he's more recgnizable than even some of Nintendo's characters. Oh, and Metal Gear kinda, you know...pioneered the stealth-action genre. I'd probably put him where I put Ryu, only his name is more likely to be known.

MGS wouldn't be on that list. Sells for the MGS series has been going down since the first MGS game. For the modern era it would be more or likely Master Chief but he will never come as close to the fame Mario has achieved.

Impediment
Mario. Without a doubt.

General Kaliero
Dark-Jaxx, tone down the vulgarity, thank you.

leonheartmm
A lot of hardcore gamers probably never even heard of Dante. Mario is number one with Sonic at number two and more or less it would be Pacman.

MGS wouldn't be on that list. Sells for the MGS series has been going down since the first MGS game. For the modern era it would be more or likely Master Chief but he will never come as close to the fame Mario has achieved.

erm sales for the mgs games have been going UP since the first mgs game.

Nemesis X
MGS is awesome. I think Snake does deserve to be in the icon list.

Master Chief should also be in the list because do you know how many friggin Halo fans spent the night near stores just to get Halo 3? If Master Chief isn't in the list then the guys who made the list are idiots.

The j0keR
What list? stick out tongue

The topic maker was just asking who you think is the single most popular game character. And 9 out of 10 would say Mario without even thinking. lol

Nemesis X
I don't know why I was chatting about the list there. Lets just get back to talking who's the popular videogame character shall we?

Hannibal-Lector
Most reoccuring characters: Mario, Sonic, Link
... Sephiroth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.