What happened to the zombies in Resident Evil?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
After playing RE4 and seeing sneek peaks of RE5, I saw no zombies whatsoever. What on Earth is Capcom thinking? Zombies are what made Resident Evil awesome from the start but now, games like RE4 and RE5 are just games with the name Resident Evil but don't live up to it. Other creatures that'll be missed from the past are stealth lickers, Tyrants, the Nemesis, zombie hounds, zombie crows and other creatures.

I'm not saying RE4 and RE5 suck but I just think it's bad that they dont have what made Resident Evil... well... Resident Evil lol

Barker
They're also being much better received than the zombie games ever were lol

I guess that's what you call ironic xD

General Kaliero
Zombies? In my Resident Evil? It's less likely than you think!

There weren't zombies in the old games. There were infected host bodies being controlled by an advanced virus. Those host bodies happened to have a visual appearance and behavioral pattern similar to the mythical concept of zombies.

4 and 5 are the same, just parasites instead of virii. Though 5 might be another virus, if it's going to be connected to the Progenitor Virus...

BackFire
I like zombies.

The j0keR
Originally posted by General Kaliero

There weren't zombies in the old games. There were infected host bodies being controlled by an advanced virus. Those host bodies happened to have a visual appearance and behavioral pattern similar to the mythical concept of zombies.

4 and 5 are the same, just parasites instead of virii. Though 5 might be another virus, if it's going to be connected to the Progenitor Virus...

Boom!

Nemesis X
Originally posted by General Kaliero

1) Capcom even called the infected host bodies zombies

2) 5 has some virus that was laying dormant inside a volcano and it got loose and it infected a nearby African village (I think Umbrella unleashed it but I'm not sure because I got this info from wikipedia).

BackFire
But the practical answer is this - they felt killing zombies over and over got boring and redundant. They were too slow and weren't threatening enough, hence the new enemies.

And RE4 is considered the best in the series, so I don't think they're too worried.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Nemesis X
1) Capcom even called the infected host bodies zombies

2) 5 has some virus that was laying dormant inside a volcano and it got loose and it infected a nearby African village (I think Umbrella unleashed it but I'm not sure because I got this info from wikipedia).
Doesn't change the fact that they are, in fact, not zombies. The games themselves make that fact very clear.

And indeed, it's noticable that the games improved once they changed up how the enemies acted.

The j0keR
If you want zombies, Capcom gave you Dead Rising. Id rather have much better games like RE4 and likely RE5 than more of the old slow paced zombiefest which had gotten tired well before RE4.

Nemesis X
Zombies are not boring! Zombies were what brought the chills while playing Resident Evil. For example, you always go down a hallway and you hear a zombie on the other side and you wait for it to appear but it doesnt. You go to the other side and a zombie suddenly attacks and you pee yourself while shouting "HOLY $#!*" and after that you attack it while your heart beats at a rapid rate that can nearly kill ya.

Peach
Speak for yourself. The 'zombies' were never what frightened me in RE. I don't know anyone who did get the chills from them.

The j0keR
Zombies are not boring! Zombies were what brought the chills while playing Resident Evil. For example, you always go down a hallway and you hear a zombie on the other side and you wait for it to appear but it doesnt. You go to the other side and a zombie suddenly attacks and you pee yourself while shouting "HOLY $#!*" and after that you attack it while your heart beats at a rapid rate that can nearly kill ya.

The only thing scary about zombie were the crimson heads in the remake. Slow and laughable enemies arent scary, the scares of old school RE were always shock value. The new RE is all about the tension created by the new formidable enemies.

General Kaliero
Personally, I was more afraid of the Hunters and those damn crows. And the Cerberi. The infected humans were cake.

Peach
Hounds leaping at you through windows is what did it for me...

And the crows, I remember despising those damn things.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
Hounds leaping at you through windows is what did it for me...

And the crows, I remember despising those damn things.

Same here.

ragesRemorse
i prefer zombie's to insane colonial towns people. Insane Africans sounds cool, but i bet not as cool as zombie's.

Neo Darkhalen
Zombies are in Dead Rising, go play that.

ESB -1138
After playing RE4 and seeing sneek peaks of RE5, I saw no zombies whatsoever. What on Earth is Capcom thinking? Zombies are what made Resident Evil awesome from the start but now, games like RE4 and RE5 are just games with the name Resident Evil but don't live up to it. Other creatures that'll be missed from the past are stealth lickers, Tyrants, the Nemesis, zombie hounds, zombie crows and other creatures.

I'm not saying RE4 and RE5 suck but I just think it's bad that they dont have what made Resident Evil... well... Resident Evil lol

It would seem that Capcom saw that zombies in Resident Evil were getting a little old and decided to try something new in RE4 and that became a huge hit being the best RE game thus far and they decided to just expand on that then returning to the old outdated formula.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by ESB -1138
It would seem that Capcom saw that zombies in Resident Evil were getting a little old and decided to try something new in RE4 and that became a huge hit being the best RE game thus far and they decided to just expand on that then returning to the old outdated formula.

and moved the zombies to there new "franchise" Dead rising.

((The_Anomaly))
BRAINS!!!!!

Kero_Co
Wesker's still a Zombie. Just not the I'm going to turn into a giant mutated freak kind, and zombies can be seen in the new movie as well, so they haven't completely abandoned them.

Impediment
The term "zombie" is very loose when discussing the RE series, IMO.

The first three RE games had the re-animated corpses of the dead via the T-Virus.

RE4 had the controlled Ganados via Las Plagas. Zombies, if you will.

RE5, essentially, will harbor the same effect.

Blax_Hydralisk
C'mon now Impediment. Everyone knows that the Africans in RE5 aren't really infected by anything, minus the default STD's that all Africans seem to have.

In reality, the game is a cleverly vield message created by Capcom that states that all Spaniards and Africans are inherently mindless, aggressive cannon fodder.

It's obvious.

Obvious.

leonheartmm
as far as im concerned code veronice{and zero on the gamecube} were the last ACTUAL resident evil games. everything afterwards is turning out to be absolute shit. resident evil 4 was BULLSHIT. graphics cant save a game with a deus ex machina story, no character development, a TRULY horrible game display{which only looks COOL in snapshots and gaming magazines} and character control and basically nuthing that made the prior res eve games worth it. shame capcom. uve sold out.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Kero_Co
Wesker's still a Zombie. Just not the I'm going to turn into a giant mutated freak kind,

Wesker is'nt even a zombie to begin with he has a parasite inside of him which gives him extra speed and strength it got activated when he faked his own death in RE1

Originally posted by leonheartmm
as far as im concerned code veronice{and zero on the gamecube} were the last ACTUAL resident evil games. everything afterwards is turning out to be absolute shit.

Is it because theres no more zombies in the games oh my

Its called moving on and trying new things if they kept on doing zombies in their games it would've got old.

Dark-Jaxx

I'm not saying RE4 and RE5 suck but I just think it's bad that they dont have what made Resident Evil... well... Resident Evil lol You're just mad that the Las Plagas infected people in RE4 were harder to kill. Lol.

The zombies were never particuarily frightening, in fact, the only thing that kinda creeped me out in any RE game was from 4.

Those Goddamn Regenerators.

DarkC
I'm not sure which I found creepier, a zombie/crimson head shuffling towards me in Resident Evil (GCN) or a group of crazy monks whispering and chanting to one another.

Okay, definitely the monks.

Dark-Jaxx
When I first played RE4, I thought the Ganados would be just like normal friggin zombies, then I was like,"Oh shit!!! Those niggas are running!"

SaTsuJiN
well I think zombie can be a loosely used term as long as the enemy

-has a special desire to see you dead, which is controlled by something greater than themselves (be it their primal desire, or mind control, or a disease)

-like to travel in packs

-wont get taken down in less then an entire clip of handgun bullets

so in all fairness.. I think the los ganados were great zombies, because they didnt know any better than to be controlled.. and them being able to move faster made it just that much scarier

Nemesis X
Okay so maybe I'm a little overboard with the whole "no zombies" issue.

I find the T-virus to be better than Las Plagas. Come on, who doesn't want to see any more stealth lickers? They're awesome.

Neo Darkhalen
the peasants were better and creepier but the game just got old and ridiculous, especially with the Napoleon midget guy.

Dark-Jaxx
Okay so maybe I'm a little overboard with the whole "no zombies" issue.

I find the T-virus to be better than Las Plagas. Come on, who doesn't want to see any more stealth lickers? They're awesome. Nah.

The Regenerators were the single creepiest creature ever in RE.

Kazenji
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

so in all fairness.. I think the los ganados were great zombies, because they didnt know any better than to be controlled.. and them being able to move faster made it just that much scarier

But the Los Ganados were'nt zombies they had a parasite inside
controlling them where as the ones from RE0-3 had more of a virus.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Kazenji
Wesker is'nt even a zombie to begin with he has a parasite inside of him which gives him extra speed and strength it got activated when he faked his own death in RE1

Is it because theres no more zombies in the games oh my

Its called moving on and trying new things if they kept on doing zombies in their games it would've got old.

wesker has a variant of the t/g virus inside him given to him by william birkin which fused near perfectly with his body and created a true bioweapon, without having the vast mutagenic and harmful plus mentally debilitating affects that the normal t and g viruses have on average folk.

and no it wasnt because of no zombies, it was because the display was too limited, the game mechanics worth shit and a deus ex machina plot where leon is SUDDENLY hired by the american military{not to mention, has the abilities of batman} and the president's daughter just HAPPENS to be kidnapped by a wierd cult leader and the town in whichthe leader dwells just HAPPENS to come up with ancient parasites as the dig the earth {having no connection to unbrella or viruses or anything based in the original resident evil storyline} and these parasites just HAPPEN to turn them into zombie LIKE creatures and you have creatures likt the giant which resemble lord of the ring more than bioweapons and the cult leader just HAPPENS to have the exact sound frequency by whcih he can control em and on and on it goes. leon has forgotten all about racoon city and is serving the same people that nuked it and theres no mention of any other res eve protaganist.

and btw the scariest creature in resident evil was nemesis from resident evil 3 and when he started following you. second wud go to william birkin.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Kazenji
But the Los Ganados were'nt zombies they had a parasite inside
controlling them where as the ones from RE0-3 had more of a virus. but to be a zombie, is to not have control over your own mind .. similar to being brainwashed (which the ganados would fall under)

parasites and viruses are both invaders to their host, both of which eventually taken control if not dealt with in due time

these likenesses are what made the ganados / monks / etc so great

leonheartmm
ganados actually werent zombies. they were working as farmers and going about their daily chores before leon showed up. they were intelligent and coordinating, as well as talking if you pay attention. anyway, who cares, they were a bullshit concept and one possible reason why i wont be looking into the resident evil series anymore{when i used to love it before}. unless they can actually come up with soem cannon storyline and better gameplay mechanics.

SaTsuJiN
ganados actually werent zombies. they were working as farmers and going about their daily chores before leon showed up. they were intelligent and coordinating, as well as talking if you pay attention. k, its pretty obvious you've never even got halfway through res evil 4

leonheartmm
^i finished it twice when it came out. rent thr ganados those wierd brain type things that lach onto the people?

SaTsuJiN
no those would be "las plagas" or some crap... but I was referring to how you didnt even acknowledge that the ganados were a form of zombies, because they only followed saddler due to the plagas.. like, I know they arent zombies literaly, but they are a form of zombie IMO

I think they were effective as enemies because you werent expecting them to coordinate themselves so well in their quest for your demise

and I think resident evil 5 is taking this type of startling speed and coordination of enemies to the next level

I was whole-heartedly disappointed in the first RE when you found out it was a virus and not actual zombies, but as long as resident evil doesnt turn into dino crisis or something equally corny, I'm willing to give the enemy types a chance..

didnt you even remotely find the Regenerator to be scary? the right hand man was another awesome one IMO

leonheartmm
not even a little. and actually, i rather like dino crisis 2.

the only enemeis i have found scary are william birkins and nemesis. SPECIALLY NEMSIS, with that bigass freaky son of a ***** coming out of nowhere yelling "stars!" and trying to grab us and not to mention when you change screens and enter a building and hes right there WITH you. it was ****ed up.

point being, resident evil 4 was some of the worst shit i played through on the ps2. code veronica was heaven in comparison.

Dark-Jaxx
Nemesis is just your trademark big ass dumb character. Wasn't scary at all.

The Regenerators were fvckin creepy, the music, their appearance, the way they moved, and especially the fvckin breathing.

leonheartmm
wait are you talking about tr iron maidens who you have to shoot specific spots on the body wiht the infrared scopes?? pfft they werent scary at all, just take out a shotgun and blast em at medium range, they go down in about two strikes. oh that reminds me, on enemy that WAS kinda scary were those mad mother****ing chainsaw men if you took the left path from the house, they wud come at you and saw your neck clean off and were super hard to stop, plus no physical barrier seemed to stop em. but no, nemesis at night was frigginscary.

Dark-Jaxx
The Iron Maiden is a special breed of Regenerator.

Difficulty to kill does not equal scariness. Otherwise the T-Rex from Turok(new one) is scarier than all Resident Evil monsters.

I never found Nemesis particuarily hard either.

The chainsaw b!tches weren't that scary IMO.

leonheartmm
the monks used to make me burst out laughing with all their stupid chants of "monyeznaoh! monyeznaoh!............saeeeero! saeeeeero!"

lol. point, res eve 4 WASNT scary. actually, if u want scary play forbidden siren or silent hill 3.

Dark-Jaxx
No Resident Evil was scary. So I hardly see your point. no expression

Although RE4 did have the only creature that kinda creeped me out in all honesty.

But I would not call any game particuarily scary.

Blax_Hydralisk
Nothing was scary in Resident Evil except for the dumbass fact that you can't move and shoot at the same time.

Though I suppose that's me confusing irritating with fear.

SaTsuJiN
actually, if u want scary play forbidden siren or silent hill 3. well I actually did want to try that game that the silent hill developers made.. (dont know if it was forbidden siren or not) a friend recommended it

Nemesis X
The Regenerators creeped me out too and so do the chainsaw wielding maniacs. I hate it when a badguy is so friggin hard to kill. I just throw flash bangs at those guys and run like hell lol

Kazenji
wesker has a variant of the t/g virus inside him given to him by william birkin which fused near perfectly with his body and created a true bioweapon, without having the vast mutagenic and harmful plus mentally debilitating affects that the normal t and g viruses have on average folk.

Thank you but i did'nt really need to know his history roll eyes (sarcastic)

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
but to be a zombie, is to not have control over your own mind .. similar to being brainwashed (which the ganados would fall under)

parasites and viruses are both invaders to their host, both of which eventually taken control if not dealt with in due time

these likenesses are what made the ganados / monks / etc so great

does'nt sound very zombie to me

The T-virus was different it had the abiliity to animates dead tissue and mutate its host.

reason why i wont be looking into the resident evil series anymore{when i used to love it before}. unless they can actually come up with soem cannon storyline and better gameplay mechanics.

Well they had to do something with the games and Resident evil 4 redeemed the franchise no matter how much you hated it, Besides The zombies were getting old as an enemy.

Dark-Jaxx
Yeah. Las Plagas were a superior gaming experience to the zombies IMO.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.