Are the Jewish, Christian and Islam God The Same?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
Well the Jews don't believe Christ was the Son of God and the Muslims believe He was a prophet but what about God Almighty? Is He essentially the same being in all three's beliefs or are there differences?

Pyron_Knight
Jesus Christ what happened to my title?
I guess this is what happens when you haven't slept for 24 hours.
Sorry everyone. I meant to ask if the Christian, Jewish and Islamic God Are the Same...oh well.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Well, not really no- they are all different interpretations of the same person...either only one is right or they are all wrong.

DigiMark007
Some say yes to try to draw parallels between the religions in order to create tolerance and understanding. Fact is, though, that each one has very different interpretations of that God, enough so that it's hard to say it's the "same." So they're all invoking the same omniscient deity, presumably, but apply their beliefs is such radically different ways that the "same-ness" ceases to have practical meaning.

Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Well, not really no- they are all different interpretations of the same person...either only one is right or they are all wrong.

Or one or more of them are partially right/wrong. Logically, that remains a third option.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Some say yes to try to draw parallels between the religions in order to create tolerance and understanding. Fact is, though, that each one has very different interpretations of that God, enough so that it's hard to say it's the "same." So they're all invoking the same omniscient deity, presumably, but apply their beliefs is such radically different ways that the "same-ness" ceases to have practical meaning.

Where were you when I was being crucified for saying that stick out tongue

Could have done with the help. smile

Or one or more of them are partially right/wrong. Logically, that remains a third option.

Well, because they are all interpretations of the same thing that is a standard that they are all based in some form of truth...assuming its the correct God.

lord xyz
The christian god is the god who created the Earth in 6 days, then he flooded it, then sent Moses to tell us what to do, then sent his son (Jesus) to tell us what to do.

The muslim god is the god who created the Earth in 6 days, then he flooded it, then sent Moses to tell us what to do, then sent Jesus (who isn't his son) to tell us waht to do, then sent Muhammed to tell us what to do.

The jewish god is the god who created the Earth in 6 days, then he flooded it, then sent Moses to tell us what to do.

Very different.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
Jesus Christ what happened to my title?
I guess this is what happens when you haven't slept for 24 hours.
Sorry everyone. I meant to ask if the Christian, Jewish and Islamic God Are the Same...oh well.

I fixed it for you.

lord xyz
You spelt "Islamic" wrong.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
what about God Almighty? Is He essentially the same being in all three's beliefs or are there differences? I believe they are essentially the same.

RocasAtoll
They are the same Abrahamic deity, albeit with different temperaments.

DigiMark007
Where were you when I was being crucified for saying that stick out tongue

Could have done with the help. smile

"My God, my God, why hast thou abandoned me?"
- some Bible verse

stick out tongue

Well, because they are all interpretations of the same thing that is a standard that they are all based in some form of truth...assuming its the correct God.

Right, thus my 3rd option of partially true, partially false. With the infinite ways in which a hypothetical divine being might exist, and what qualities it would have, and also creating a mathematically even premise of 50/50 for whether or not a God exists (since we can't know for sure), the odds are with them being either mostly or entirely wrong.

But that's strictly talking in terms of objective probabilities, and doesn't take into the account the beliefs themselves or their justifications.

Originally posted by lord xyz
The christian god is the god who created the Earth in 6 days, then he flooded it, then sent Moses to tell us what to do, then sent his son (Jesus) to tell us what to do.

The muslim god is the god who created the Earth in 6 days, then he flooded it, then sent Moses to tell us what to do, then sent Jesus (who isn't his son) to tell us waht to do, then sent Muhammed to tell us what to do.

The jewish god is the god who created the Earth in 6 days, then he flooded it, then sent Moses to tell us what to do.

Very different.

Yes yes, why didn't we see it? It's all the same thing, and each religion is nearly identical to the others in beliefs and practices.

Simplification and selective cropping of facts FTL. Take a look at the religious cultures of the world and tell me they're worshipping similar gods.

Ironically, we should add in a few mythologies that parallel those sentences as well. Egyptian flood myths in particular, culminating in the coming of Ra's son Horus, would work particularly well. Of course, drawing connections between religions that people no longer believe in is usually perceived as a threat to established religions, so it wouldn't go over nearly as well as the "it's all 1 God" advocates.

I'd amend it to "its all 1 mythological system intended to instruct human beings through various aspects of their lives." It strips religions of literal import and actually does focus on the connections between them, which become more numerous when you interpret them as metaphors rather than dogmatic truths.

Grand_Moff_Gav
You spelt "Islamic" wrong.

I thought about mentioning it but then thought...only a dick would be so pedantic.

Originally posted by RocasAtoll
They are the same Abrahamic deity, albeit with different temperaments.

Thus, making them different.

The obvious one being -Jesus is God. So he cant be the Islamic God or the Jewish God.

RocasAtoll
In my mind, it's different facets of the same entity. It's the only way Christians and Muslims can try and connect to the Hebrew God. Otherwise, the Old Testament should be stricken from the bible because it is a different God that is portrayed.

Symmetric Chaos
According to Islam -- Yes
According to Moderate Christianity -- Maybe, why not?
According to Moderate Conservative Christianity -- No
According to Funadmentalist Christianity -- Hell no!
According to Judaism -- What?

lord xyz
I thought about mentioning it but then thought...only a dick would be so pedantic.

Thus, making them different.

The obvious one being -Jesus is God. So he cant be the Islamic God or the Jewish God. Thankfully most people don't go by what you think.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Thankfully most people don't go by what you think.

No...but then again, there are pedophiles in the world.

Shakyamunison
No...but then again, there are pedophiles in the world.

Why are you bringing Catholic priests into this? laughing jk

Deja~vu
How about Lot and Noah?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Deja~vu
How about Lot and Noah?

Did they have sex? laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Did they have sex? laughing out loud

Noah had three sons and Lot's wife was a real ball of fire in the sack.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Noah had three sons and Lot's wife was a real ball of fire in the sack.

I thought she was nothing but salt. wink

Mindship
...each one has very different interpretations of that God, enough so that it's hard to say it's the "same." So they're all invoking the same omniscient deity, presumably, but apply their beliefs is such radically different ways that the "same-ness" ceases to have practical meaning.

thumb up

Grand_Moff_Gav
I thought she was nothing but salt. wink

Bath Salt...

Deja~vu
Did they have sex? laughing out loud Lot had some with his daughters and Noah had some with his son... eek!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Lot had some with his daughters and Noah had some with his son... eek!

stick out tongue

Deja~vu
I think god said it was all okay. blink reading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.