Evolution Tournament Results (Biggest Fighting Game Tournament in the USA)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JustFrame
I'm posting this here to make an awareness for Fighting Gamers here that their is still great fighting game competition. Evolution is arguably the biggest Fighting Tournament in the USA, drawing Top Players from all over the World to come and play, for example, Europe, S. Korea, Japan, etc, etc.

So if you have never heard of Evolution Tournament, then listen here now, and see the results of Today's Win's and Losses from players competing in well known fighting games.

So let me start by saying, crazy, crazy Evolution Tournament, I came there to watch all the hype, and to kick it and see the top players from around the world. This was one of the best Evolution Tournaments yet, and some of the match ups where simply crazy to watch, Super Turbo maybe OLD, but that game proved that it was one of the most strategical fighting games ever created, the sheer spacing, zoning, reversals, etc, etc in that game was spectacular to watch and see.

A heavy mention to John Choi completely and utterly represented the USA, by defeating some of Japan's best players in Capcom vs Snk 2 and Super Street Fighter II Turbo. In CvsS2, he defeated BAS, arguably Japan's BEST CvsS2 player with C-Groove Ken/Cammy/SagatR2, and then he went through Three of Japanese best in ST to take the 1st place crown. Mad, Mad Props, and the whole crowd went completely crazy when Choi won, as well as Choi himself, lolz.

Justin Wong winning Marvel vs. Capcom 2, now his 6th Time as Champion at Evolution does not come as a surprise to me at all, although Yipes wasn't there, the guy who dethroned Wong at least years Evolution tournament in MvC2.

In SSBB, Ken was running strong with Marth, and beasting everyone, however in the finals, he lost to CPU, but I forgot who CPU won with, since I wasn't paying attention to SSBB later on (sorry man, this game to me just isn't as cool as SSBM)...however, anyhow, let me post up the Tournament Results from the Fighting Games represented on here, and take note that each fighting game is bolded and highlighted in a different color so people don't get them mixed up...

CvS2 - Top 8

Winners:

John Choi (C-Ken/Cammy/Sagat) vs. BAS (A-Vega/Bison/Blanka) - Choi beats BAS 2-0
Ricky Ortiz (A-Vega/Sakura/Blanka) vs. Tokido (A-Vega/Blanka/Bison) - Ricky beats Tokido 2-0

John Choi vs. Ricky Ortiz - Choi beats Ricky 2-1

Losers:

Combofiend (K-Ken/Rolento/Cammy) vs. Gene Wong (A-Vega/Bison/Blanka) - Gene Wong beats Combofiend 2-1
Buktooth (N-Iori/Morrigan/Hibiki) vs. Justin Wong (C-Vega/Cammy/Sagat) - Justin beats Buktooth 2-1

Gene Wong vs. BAS - BAS beats Gene Wong 2-0
Justin Wong vs. Tokido - Justin Wong beats Tokido 2-0

Justin Wong vs. BAS - BAS beats Justin Wong 2-1

BAS vs. Ricky Ortiz - BAS beats Ricky Ortiz 2-1

Grand Finals:

John Choi vs. BAS - BAS wins first set 2-0, but Choi takes next set 2-0.

John Choi wins!

Final Results:

1st - John Choi
2nd - BAS
3rd - Ricky Ortiz
4th - Justin Wong
5th - Tokido/Gene Wong
7th - Combofiend/Buktooth

John Choi takes 1st Place in CvS2, and he does it using C-Groove, because A-Groove has been so completely dominant in CvS2 for so long, I'm really, happy for Choi, Congratulations man, you where crazy when you won, lol!

Tekken DR - Top 8

Winners:

Gandido (Devil Jin) vs. Lingmassacre (Xiaoyu)- Gandido beats Lingmassacre 2-1
Ryan Hart (Kazuya) vs. KOR (Ganryu) - Ryan Hart beats KOR 2-1

Gandido vs. Ryan Hart - Ryan Hart beats Gandido (score?)

Losers:

Owen (King) vs. Rip (Law) - Owen beats Rip 2-1
Som (?) vs. Cano (Eddy) - Cano beats Som 2-0

Owen vs. Lingmassacre - Owen beats Lingmassacre 2-1
KOR vs. Cano - Cano beats KOR 2-0

Owen vs. Cano - Cano beats Owen (score?)

Cano vs. Gandido - Gandido beats Cano (score?)

Grand Finals:

Gandido vs. Ryan Hart - Ryan Hart beats Gandido 3-2

Edit: Crazy drama involving technical failure in first set with match at 2-2 (finals is 3/5), final round, Gandido up on life. They replay the last game, with Ryan Hart winning 3 straight rounds.

Ryan Hart wins!

Final Results:

1st - Ryan Hart
2nd - Gandido
3rd - Cano
4th - Owen
5th - Lingmassacre/KOR
7th - Rip/Som

Street Fighter III : Third Strike - Top 8

Winners:

Tokido (Chun) vs. Amir (Chun) - Amir beats Tokido 2-0
JR Rodriguez (Akuma) vs. Justin Wong (Chun) - Justin beats JR 2-1

Amir vs. Justin Wong - Justin Wong beats Amir 2-0

Losers:

Fubarduck (Chun) vs. Ryan Hart (Yun/Ken) - Fubarduck beats Ryan Hart 2-1
Nuki (Chun) vs. Mike Watson (Ken) - Nuki beats Mike Watson 2-0

Tokido vs. Fubarduck - Tokido beats Fubarduck 2-0
Nuki vs. JR Rodriguez - Nuki beats JR 2-0

Tokido vs. Nuki - Nuki beats Tokido 2-1

Amir vs. Nuki - Nuki beats Amir 2-0

Grand Finals:

Justin Wong vs. Nuki - Nuki wins first set 3-0, then wins 2nd set 3-2

Nuki wins!

Final Results:

1st - Nuki
2nd - Justin Wong
3rd - Amir
4th - Tokido
5th - JR/Fubarduck
7th - Watson/Ryan Hart

This was crazy, because HAD Justin Wong of kept being aggressive with his Chunli against Nuki, he would have taken the 1st place spot, however he went back to Turtle Wong Li and that imo ultimately made him take 2nd, however I'm happy to see such a strong showing here for 3S by the US, considering last year, most of the top 5 in 3S was dominated by Japanese players.

Only boring part was that 3S had 5...remember, FIVE Chunli's placing in the Top 8 that's crazy, in fact, that Top 3 finishers in 3S where all Chunli players, lolz

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Top 8
Winners:

Ken vs. Darwin - Ken beats Darwin
Hall vs. CPU - CPU beats Hall

Ken vs. CPU - CPU beats Ken

Losers:

Bardull vs. Peapo - Peapo beats Bardull
SK97 vs. WDRM - SK92 beats WDRM

SK97 vs. Darwin - SK97 beats Darwin
Peapo vs. Hall - Hall beats Peapo

SK97 vs. Hall - Hall beats SK97

Ken vs. Hall - Ken beats Hall

Grand Finals:

Ken vs. CPU - CPU beats Ken

CPU wins!

Final Results:

1st - CPU
2nd - Ken
3rd - Hall
4th - SK97
5th - Darwin/Peapo
7th - WDRM/Bardull

CPU knocks out Ken for 1st place, however I won't say much from this just yet, since imo, I still consider Ken the best player coming out of SSBM in the world. Not only that, to beast with Marth that badly is just simply amazing, mad props to the people who represented for Brawl

JustFrame
Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Top 8
Winners:

Nuki (Chun) vs. Sirlin (a bunch of characters) - Nuki beats Sirlin 2-0
Alex Valle (Shotos) vs. Kusumondo (Honda) - Valle beats Kusumondo 2-0

Nuki vs. Alex Valle - Nuki beats Valle 2-0

Losers:

Tokido (Claw) vs. Justin Wong (Claw/O.Sagat?) - Tokido beats Justin 2-1
Shirts (Sim) vs. John Choi (Shotos/O.Sagat) - John Choi beats Shirts 2-0

Tokido vs. Sirlin - Tokido beats Sirlin 2-0
Choi vs. Kusumondo - Choi beats Kusumondo 2-0

Tokido vs. Choi - Choi beats Tokido 2-1

Choi vs. Valle - Choi beats Valle 2-0

Grand Finals:

Nuki vs. Choi - Choi wins first set 3-1, then wins second set 3-2

John Choi wins ST!

Final Results:

1st - John Choi
2nd - Nuki
3rd - Alex Valle
4th - Tokido
5th - Kusumondo/Sirlin
7th - Justin Wong/Shirts

John Choi for President Please!

John Choi defeated Kusumondo, then Tokido who was last years Evolution ST winner, then he went on to beat out Nuki in the Finals for 1st Place...just simply WOW. John Choi used my main man, ST. Ryu throughout the entire tournament, then he switched over to O. Sagat in the final round to guarantee his victory.

This was imo, the most exciting tournament to watch other then the CvS2 finals with Choi vs Bas!

MvC2 - Top 8

Winners:

Chunksta vs. Toan aka totaltoanage - Chunk beats Toan 2-0
Justin Wong vs. Wes aka Blockable Laser - Justin beats Wes 2-0

Chunksta vs. Justin Wong - Chunksta beats Justin Wong 2-1

Losers:

Crizzle vs. MegamanDS - Crizzle beats MegamanDS 2-0
Smoothviper vs. Fanatiq - Smoothviper beats Fanatiq 2-1

Toan vs. Crizzle - Crizzle beats Toan 2-0
Wes vs. Smoothviper - Smoothviper beats Wes 2-1

Smoothviper vs. Crizzle - Smoothviper beats Crizzle 2-0

Smoothviper vs. Justin Wong - Justin Wong beats Smoothviper 2-0

Grand Finals:

Chunksta vs. Justin Wong - Justin Wong wins first set 3-0, second set 3-1

Justin Wong wins Marvel for the 6th time in Evo history!

Final Results:

1st - Justin Wong
2nd - Chunksta
3rd - Smoothviper
4th - Crizzle
5th - Toan/Wes
7th - MegamanDS/Fanatiq

Why am I not surprised, Justin Wong takes 1st place yet again for MvC2. This is 6th time in Evolution Tournament History he has done this in MvC2.

This game is just simply amazing to watch at the highest lvls, I tell anyone who has not seen this first hand, you are completely missing out.

Justin Wong in the Finals when he adapted to Chunksta and suddenly decided to go to Super Saiyan Mode completely put Chunks in his place.

JWong is on a completely different level when it comes to MvC2, only guy in my eyes to be on par with him is Yipes, but sadly he couldn't make it to MvC2.

Team Santhrax was used, ALOT, which I'm not surprised, since that team is still overall the best in MvC2 (In case people don't know who's in Team Santhrax, it's Sentinel/Storm/Capt. Commando)

Congratulations Wong, you've shown all of us how distant we are from being on your lvl in MvC2, keep up the beast, and lets see if it will be 7th Time Champion at next years Evolution Tournament

Street Fighter 4 8-Man Invitational Tourney Results

1st - Kindevu (Rufus)
2nd - Justin Wong (Abel)
3rd - John Choi and Nuki

Lol, crazy game, although I wouldn't take this too seriously, since almost everyone had no experience with SF:IV, but it was great no matter.

I finally got to try SF:IV for the first time, but I'll talk about that in the SF:IV thread not here.

Guilty Gear AC Singles Side Tourney Results:

1st - Elvenshadow (Faust)
2nd - Blacksnake (Venom)
3rd - Nerina (Baiken)
4th - Hellmonkey (Baiken)
5th - Harbinger (Millia)
5th - Frank the Tank (May)

Apparently there were 83 (!) total entrants, and only 3 TV's to run the entire tourney on.

Guilty Gear AC Teams Side Tourney Results:

1st - Team Midwest (Elvenshadow/Blacksnake/AKA)
2nd - Team Japan (Miu/Nerina/Hellmonkey)
3rd - Team Latif & Friends (Latif/Digital Watches/Hellsap)
4th - Team Mike Z (Mike Z/Pulsr/Shtkn)

A total of 20 teams entered.

My Thoughts: Great Evolution Turn Out, they had alot of stuff for you to try out, I even got to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom here, but there was 209348230948 people who also wanted to play, so you got to play once, and ended watching for the rest of the day, lolz.

I was busy doing other things as well, as meeting old peeps that I hadn't seen for a long time. Yeah, I didn't enter in any fighting game's to compete, because I've been retired from competitive for years now, I only came to represent for fellow fighting gamers.

This was a spectacular Evolution, mad props to everyone who participated in the competitions.

Keep the Fighting Game Competitive Community Alive, Evolution is one of those reasons!

SaTsuJiN
very very nice..

Although, I would have liked to know who used what characters in brawl, and perhaps some personal commentary on accent core would have been cool as well

but still, thanks big grin

Seer Q'Anilia
CPU (R.O.B)
Ken (Marth)
Hall (Snake)

JacopeX
I love these Evo Tournaments! Mostly the street Fighter division. I see Justin Wong has not retired yet but he still kicks ass. I wonder who this Nuki guy is.

JustFrame
Seriously, the only games I was really into seeing was CvS2, 3S, MvC2 and especially ST.

The rest I kind of looked here and there, or else left to go and do other misc things that interested me, lolz. However I am glad to see that some people took interest in this though.

The last time I truly paid attention to GG was during the days of Sol and his Dustloop madness, lolz, those where the fun days, lolz.

My only beef with this years Evo, was that guys like Sanford, Yipes, etc etc didn't show up for MvC2, I was hoping to see that, because you knew that it would get serious, and Plus, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 has the best and greatest drama out of any fighting game at Evo.

You either usually see alot of trash talking between players or something like that, hahahahaha, I miss seeing alot of that.

Man, Choi Boy winning 2 tournaments still amazes me, had Justin of taking 3S, it would have been a complete US domination this year. I'm hoping Choi goes for ST at SBO, and that Justin plays an aggressive Chunli for SBO, because ever since he went offensive, his Chunli has done alot better.

SaTsuJiN
so how many years until EVO gets insane like SBO, ya think?

Vampire Savior
That Tatsunoko VS Capcom is gonna be there, I wish I could go.

And what the hell is SSMB doin there, that aint a real fightin game?

SaTsuJiN
I agree up to a point.. the retarded tripping for no reason, and how the cartoony characters always get the insta-attack advantage is a serious put off... but it does have a much deeper engine than people want to realise... its all a matter of if sakurai makes the next one.. if he takes the balancing serious, he could have a real tourney-worthy fighter on his hands

Vampire Savior
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I agree up to a point.. the retarded tripping for no reason, and how the cartoony characters always get the insta-attack advantage is a serious put off... but it does have a much deeper engine than people want to realise... its all a matter of if sakurai makes the next one.. if he takes the balancing serious, he could have a real tourney-worthy fighter on his hands IMO, not only all that above but the fact that there are only a few attack buttons and all the moves are so easy to do really makes it hard for me to take the game seriously.

JustFrame
so how many years until EVO gets insane like SBO, ya think?

Evolution is already insane, infact, I would argue that Evolution has far more diversity of International players then SBO. SBO is mainly japanese players, with only a small opening for international players, I forgot the reason, but imo, having more diversity of players from around the world is better.

Evolution, no matter the amount of entries, they will except any participants, and take 3S for example, I believe in 2005, it had a huge entry boost, over 100+ entries for that game alone, something that you had clearly not seen since the powerhouse days of Street Fighter II back in the 90's when that was the norm. However SBO within it's country itself is more recognized, simply because of cultural reasons.

If your playing fighting games in Japan on a competitive lvl, your considered awesome, however if your playing fighting games in the US, your considered a nerd. There are two very big differences in how we view gamers as a whole in our cultures. To me, Evolution is pretty big, and really only lacks one big thing "Huge Company Support", which is one of the biggest Achilles heels for this tournament, or most fighting game tournaments I should say (Unless your playing the DoA Series...gah), and with that, they don't have the mass media to showcase itself.

However, Evolution has come a long, long way, I guarantee, that 90% of the new wave of SFIII players did not pick up 3S until they saw what took place at Evolution 2004 with Daigo vs Justin, where he did a full parry ending it with a combo to win that round. I'm confident, almost all of you on here have seen that already, and I'm also sure many of you have seen J. Wong's comeback victory from last year in MvC2, where he had only Cyclops left up against Yipes full complete MSP Team, yet he did a come from behind victory, and anyone who knows MvC2, that is AMAZING, making it 50x more epic then what took place at Evo2k4 with Daigo.

In case, some of you "still" have not seen it yet...here's Daigo's Comeback from Evolution 2004 in 3rdStrike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM

Here's the video of Justin Wong's Cyclops comeback from Yipes FULL MSP (Yipes has the best Magneto/Storm/Psylocke in the entire World period), this is way more epic then even Daigo's comeback, because Wong couldn't rely upon a "Defensive Option" instead everything had to be either reversed with huge risk, or else punished on reaction...crazy win of this set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVmc5ZepdVs

As for a game like SSB, well, SSBM was actually highly competitive, yeah, when you got really good in the game, the Space Animals, Shiek, Marth pretty much took everyone out convincingly with Peach doing strong.

However, after SSBB was release with the creator specifically removing alot of the aspects that made SSBM very competitive (Shuffling, Wavedash to name a few), it just really got me annoyed by it. You can obviously play it competitively, there is no doubt about it, but SSBB just isn't as epic as it's SSBM counterpart was. However, SSBB has a good amount of players playing this game competitively, which is the #1 most important thing. Does it have a solid community, and will it represent itself, SSBM over the years has proven that, and to me, any fighting game regardless of how it may look, if you can pit 1 vs 1 and get it to become dramatic, with a solid group of competitors, then I see no reason not to let it in.

Soul Calibur wasn't shown up in here, simply because SC3 died nearly almost as fast it came into the scene.

However, expect ALOT for next year, because games like Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, TvC (hopefully), and especially Street Fighter : IV will making the Evolution roster. We could be seeing some pretty big entries for those, especially SF:IV.

Yeah, I'd like to believe that EVO is as epic as SBO, however one thing is for sure, EVO has far greater drama/feuds/hype between players then SBO does, lolz.

Vampire Savior
What about MK VS DS, you think that will be showin up next year or Sengoku Basara X?

SaTsuJiN
sengoku basara seems really broken lol.. like most of the cast (if not all) has infinites..

did you mean MK vs DC?.. I dont know if anyone takes mortal kombat that seriously >_>

JustFrame
Originally posted by Vampire Savior
What about MK VS DS, you think that will be showin up next year or Sengoku Basara X?

Sengoku Basara has one huge fatal flaw...not enough competitors to that game for it. That is the biggest problem with that game, and Evo only wants games in which will draw either solid to very high number of players.

One year, they did in fact experiment with numerous fighting games, however alot of them, had almost no shows for them, DoA was one of those games in which not even 20 players made the list, with some people joining in DoA at that day just for kicks.

MK vs DC would really depend upon one thing, and again, that will be competition, will there be alot for it, or will there be almost none? The only two MK games that come into my head that had a strong following of competitive players was UMK3, and without a doubt, MKII had probably the strongest following for competition at it's height. However, beyond that, I haven't seen any MK games really making it to the huge limelight of heavy competition.

I doubt that MK vs DC would make it into Evolution, simply because their most likely will be lack of competition, and a community to really back it up, that'll probably be it's biggest flaw. However, if it had a massive following, with alot of competitive players, then who knows, "maybe", however doubtful in my eyes.

As I said though, expect to see Tekken 6, TvC, SC4, and SF:IV gain huge momentum for next year. I am 100% confident that SF:IV will be the fighting game to headline as the grand daddy of them all at Evolution 2009, bet it!

Blax_Hydralisk
What about MK VS DS, you think that will be showin up next year

Doubtful. Mortal Kombat is kind of a joke in the fighting game world in terms of gameplay.

If it wasn't for the over-the-top violence it probably wouldn't be all that popular...

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Doubtful. Mortal Kombat is kind of a joke in the fighting game world in terms of gameplay.

If it wasn't for the over-the-top violence it probably wouldn't be all that popular... It really is.

I honestly don't see why its fanboys try to defend it like that isn't the case...

Vampire Savior
sengoku basara seems really broken lol.. like most of the cast (if not all) has infinites.. It only seems that way, I think they'll fix the game when it really comes out.

did you mean MK vs DC?.. I dont know if anyone takes mortal kombat that seriously >_> I would take MK in a FG tournament over SSBB any day.Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk

If it wasn't for the over-the-top violence it probably wouldn't be all that popular... I haven't played one in a while, last time I played MK was Deadly Alliance but that seemed pretty good to me.Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
It really is.

I honestly don't see why its fanboys try to defend it like that isn't the case... Just what the hell is wrong wit it? I haven't played it in so long but all I hear is that it sux now. What happened?

Vampire Savior
Originally posted by JustFrame
Sengoku Basara has one huge fatal flaw...not enough competitors to that game for it. That is the biggest problem with that game, and Evo only wants games in which will draw either solid to very high number of players.

One year, they did in fact experiment with numerous fighting games, however alot of them, had almost no shows for them, DoA was one of those games in which not even 20 players made the list, with some people joining in DoA at that day just for kicks. Well if that's how it is than I guess it wont show. Man, I bet games like SC and SF draw hundreds. I heard Tekken didn't do as well because it was somethin like it was broken wit infinites and stuff.

MK vs DC would really depend upon one thing, and again, that will be competition, will there be alot for it, or will there be almost none? The only two MK games that come into my head that had a strong following of competitive players was UMK3, and without a doubt, MKII had probably the strongest following for competition at it's height. However, beyond that, I haven't seen any MK games really making it to the huge limelight of heavy competition.. Damn, has Mortal Kombat really fallen that hard, I thought games like MKDA and MKA would be at the tourny, are they?

I doubt that MK vs DC would make it into Evolution, simply because their most likely will be lack of competition, and a community to really back it up, that'll probably be it's biggest flaw. However, if it had a massive following, with alot of competitive players, then who knows, "maybe", however doubtful in my eyes. I think it's gonna be there...it has DC characters in it.

As I said though, expect to see Tekken 6, TvC, SC4, and SF:IV gain huge momentum for next year. I am 100% confident that SF:IV will be the fighting game to headline as the grand daddy of them all at Evolution 2009, bet it! I hope they fix Tekken6 before they put it out there cuz I heard some pretty bad stuff about the gameplay over in Japan, thus far.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx

I honestly don't see why its fanboys try to defend it like that isn't the case...

Because they're fanboys. no expression

That's like... what they do.

chithappens
No one here thinks they could play in these tournaments and do decently?

Blax_Hydralisk
I'd rape if Soul Calibur 4 was one of the games.

haermm

JustFrame
Originally posted by Vampire Savior I would take MK in a FG tournament over SSBB any day.

Thing is bro, SSBB has a strong community with a numerous tournaments and strong competitive attendance. I haven't heard of a real Top Lvl/High Money MK tournament in years seriously.

Well if that's how it is than I guess it wont show. Man, I bet games like SC and SF draw hundreds. I heard Tekken didn't do as well because it was somethin like it was broken wit infinites and stuff.

I don't know if SC4 will draw hundreds, that will remain to be seen, however with the release of SF:IV, it is very possible that it will indeed draw 100+ tournament attendance for that game. 3S did it easily with 100+ back in 2005, and Tekken 5 did about as much as well back in 05, taking 2nd in the amount of attendance after 3S.

Will Tekken 6 do the same, I really don't know, because half the community is split in that game being good, and that game being trash (I'm part of the group that says that game is trash, heck, it even made me like Tekken 5 : DR and I thought that Tekken game was trashy, Tekken to me hasn't been awesome since T4/TTT days).

The showcased games at Evo are definitely the SF games, because in the USA Street Fighter is the most popular on the competitive lvl overall, so it comes as no surprise.

Damn, has Mortal Kombat really fallen that hard, I thought games like MKDA and MKA would be at the tourny, are they?

Off the top of my head, I don't ever recall there being a MK game at Evo.

I think it's gonna be there...it has DC characters in it.

Really depends on the amount of competition and the community, then they would have to persuade the Evo board that MK vs DC is legit, after that, who knows.

I hope they fix Tekken6 before they put it out there cuz I heard some pretty bad stuff about the gameplay over in Japan, thus far.

Tekken 6 has some key flaws that since day #1, I talked about it to people back at TZ.

1. Bound

2. Rage

3. Crush System

All 3 of these make things annoying and frustrating, bound extends juggles, making wall carries so much easier, and it prolongs juggles.

Rage gives a losing player a bonus to do greater damage.

Crushes since T5 to T6 are horrible, as to how you get crushed for throwing out a jab with + frame advantage boggles the mind out of me. Not to mention, doing a low poke, getting high crush hopkick for 60% damage is absolutely ridiculous.

You combine all of those together, and it gets messy, the thing is, if you play it casually, you won't really notice it. However if your playing with frame advantages in mind, seeing whiffs, spacing, etc, etc...the game becomes really watered down.

Still a fun game, but definitely the most watered down Tekken game I have seen yet, and definitely the most newbie friendly by far now.

As for me, my predictions is that SF:IV will arguably draw the biggest tournament listing of players for Evolution 2008. It has one advantage imo, and that is that their has been a huge 10+ year drought since a new SF game has shown up.

It's ignited alot of interest, and possibly alot of players, and definitely some new heads into the frey. So this is the game, I'm sure will be at the helm.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by chithappens
No one here thinks they could play in these tournaments and do decently? well if anything, you can go there and play to learn

I had went to a soul calibur 2 tournament and lost horribly, but I at least learned a thing or two

JustFrame
I cannot emphasize this enough...if you want to get known, and if you want to really get better, enter in tournaments.

That's one of the best ways to experience much better players, plus motivation to you wanting to improve your game. Obviously your only as good as your competition around you, however if your competition around you is not as good, then help to improve it.

I remember back in the mid 90's, I went to Chicago to play in a SSFII tournament, only to realize how pathetic I was compared to the True Super Elites in SF. Guys like Jess and his Fei-Long where wrecking havoc all over the place, and Mike Watson, the best player at the tournament showed why he was one of the Top 5 best SFII players in the US.

Omgosh, they where so good, and here I was coming from my local area being one of the best, and taking pride in that, however getting their, my pride whimpered down to a puppy dog in comparison to these super elite players.

However, coming back from tournaments like those, you gain alot of things and knowledge.

You'll even receive recognition, because back in the early years of SSBM, everyone used to say that Link's grab into Down Throw couldn't link into his SpinAttack because opponents could tech out of it.

However I went to a tournament to showcase that at certain percentages, you could not avoid it with certain characters. For example...if your Roy or around that middle-weight range and normal fall speed, at around 48%-120%, you cannot avoid Link's grab, throw down, into SpinAttack Combo.

No amount of DI, will save you, and at that particular tournament, when Link was only a Middle Tier character, I took him all the way to 5th Place. Although some of you may go...wtf, 5th place? Why do you talk, only 3rd place or higher should get recognition.

However, when you facing short hop laser spamming Falco's, Shine Combo Foxes, Aerial dominating Marth's, annoying Peaches, knee destroying Capt. Falcons, getting 5th place is pretty darn amazing, especially with LINK of all characters. I mean, I even beat the guy who took 1st with Fox, I knocked him into Losers bracket, but he came out from it to win it all, while I got peaced out by a Peach Player... mad .

So yeah, although I no longer play tournaments for the numerous SF games, Tekken, SSBM, etc, etc other fighting games, as someone who has entered in tournaments, all I can say is.

Go to them, even if your not that good, who really cares, if people call you a scrub, who cares, because everyone started out as newbie. With practice, and good competition, you'll only get better, and who know's where you may go from there.

Shoot, if I was 14 again or something, to where I didn't have a job yet, and didn't have a whole lot of responsibilities, you'd bet I'd be entering in tournaments to play... big grin

Evolution 2009 ftw! That Evo might be the best Evo to attend of all time, because of the showcasing of all the new fighting games that will be there for it.

StyleTime
No one here thinks they could play in these tournaments and do decently?
These tournaments aren't just friends screwing around though. I went to one for Arcana Heart and Dead or Alive. I didn't do terribly, I even took third in Arcana Heart, but it was definitely an eye opener. I was pretty much tops with my friends and other groups of people I played near my location. I showed up for the tournament and felt like an average schmoe who could pull off just enough tricks with Maori to hang in Arcana Heart. A lot of the tournament goers are on totally different levels than most people who just pick up the games for the kicks. However, that's precisely why I am going to a tournament in October for Soul Caliber IV and Arcana Heart. The competition makes things so much more fun and challenging.

Even if you don't win, it's still a good time and you meet some cool people.

chithappens
Me and a few friends are about bottom-tier tournament level. I've been on GGPO kicking ass since yesterday (with this tag; yeah, I'm a noob getting it to work) and met some really good players.

One guy played with the best 3S Ibuki I have ever seen. He said my Elena was the best he had seen. It was good times.

But I hate to see people pussy out to much on games. MvC2 comp is pretty good but they are not the best I have ever seen. Justin Wong is good but they spam the same stuff and the same characters and a lot of stuff could be exploited if everyone would stop using the top 6 players in the game only.

JustFrame
Me and a few friends are about bottom-tier tournament level. I've been on GGPO kicking ass since yesterday (with this tag; yeah, I'm a noob getting it to work) and met some really good players.

One guy played with the best 3S Ibuki I have ever seen. He said my Elena was the best he had seen. It was good times.

But I hate to see people pussy out to much on games. MvC2 comp is pretty good but they are not the best I have ever seen. Justin Wong is good but they spam the same stuff and the same characters and a lot of stuff could be exploited if everyone would stop using the top 6 players in the game only.

GGPO does have some solid players however it's the real up tournaments with the no lag/lag spikes that truly prove a point. I've had my nightmares trying to play people online which was just absolutely ridiculous at times. I even had trouble buffering things like c.fk into Hadouken on SFII, something that is second nature to me at the arcades.

However I disagree on your statement of MvC2, because that game is one of the most technical and demanding fighting games I have ever bore witness to.

The amount of things that you have to know and learn is absolutely ridiculous, and the execution required for some of the most powerful tactics in that game require a huge lvl of effort. Utilizing the Top 6, or Big 4, makes perfect sense, because in a tournament it's not about "who I want to play as", but "Who will give me the win".

If I wanted to play MvC2 by characters I "liked" I would be playing Ryu/Gambit/Strider...however seriously, how far can that team really carry me? They have barely any options, Ryu can do almost nothing, Gambit isn't anything to behold about and Strider isn't Top unless he has Doom paired with him.

However, the real thing is...what can other characters like Guile, Iceman, Colossus do that the strongest characters in MvC2 can't do, but 10x better?

Also, if you look at any fighting game at the tournament, lvl, they are choosing Top-Tiers and practically winning with Top-Tier. 5 out of the 8 Top Place Finishers for 3S where Chunli, in fact, the Top 3 Finishers in 3S this year where all Chunli players. Taking these into consideration for all games, not just MvC2, alot of characters just wont get alot of love.

So it makes absolute and perfect sense, and also, give credit to Justin Wong, he is the overall best player in the US hands down, he's been placing Top 8 in practically all the fighting games he's played in. 3S, MvC2, CvS2, ST to name a few, all of these he's always consistently Top 8 at Evo, so even though he is arguably King in MvC2, he's still one of the best in all the other fighting games he plays in.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.