Divide by zero

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
Possible answers/explanations:

36 / 6 = 6
36 / 3 = 12
36 / 1 = 36
36 / 0.5 = 72
36 / 0.01 = 3600
36 / 0.0001 = 360000
36 / 0 = ∞

3 * 0 = 0
4 * 0 = 0
5 * 0 = 0
0 / 0 = everything

6 / 6 = 1
21 / 21 = 1
88 / 88 = 1
0 / 0 = 1
(This would also mean ∞ / ∞ = 1)

0 / 5 = 0
0 / 7 = 0
0 / 3556742 = 0
0 / 0 = 0

0 / 0 (4 possible answers (0, 1, everything, ∞ ), but now back to anything divided by zero)

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/8/86/Dividebyzero.jpg
Simply, cannot.

6 / 1 = 6
6 / 0.5 = 3
6 / -0.5 = -3
6 / -1 = -6
6 / 0 = 0

X * 0 = 0 (smallest number)
X / 0 = ∞ (largest number)

http://halshop.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/phpw9jvl0pm.jpg
This.

What is your answer?

On a different note, can you divide by infinity?

Shakyamunison
This Thread / 0 = ?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lord xyz
What is your answer?

It's undefined. There's a divide by zero based proof that Christopher Walken is a carrot.

On a different note, can you divide by infinity?

Yes. You get the lowest non-zero and non-negative number possible. Other arguments say you get zero, those can be used to prove the population of the universe is zero (as population density is zero in anything infinitely large).

Symmetric Chaos

lord xyz
No, what you did is (1 * 0) / 0. 0 / 0 = 1 because multiplying then dividing by the same number would cancel it out. 2 =/= 1, but (2 * 0) = (1 * 0). You divided by 0 and assumed it meant the number you started with, but doesn't, as that would make 2 = 1. All you did is prove X / 0 =/= whatever number you start with.

Of course, nought (zero for amerifags) is the same as nothing. So divide by zero would be times by the opposite of nothing.

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=nothing&typeofrhyme=ant&org1=syl&org2=l

Shit.

inimalist
WTF, so the text box accepts arabic text, but the forum wont recognize it...

and it has sanscrit...

RACIST!!!!!

lol, please ignore smile

lord xyz
I think dividing by zero is the same as when someone excepts themself.

leonheartmm
just my very insignificant personal oppinion. infinity divided by infinity is not equal to zero. simply because infinity is practically undefineable. {e.g. a 2 cm line has infinite points, but so does a 4 com line. but if its a rule that infinity divided by infinte is one, then the 2cm and 4 cm line are the same length! hence only LIKE infinites can be divided to get one, meaning the number of dots in two, 2 cm lines or two 4 cm lines. and can hence be CANCELLED out, as id often done in higher maths etc}

lord xyz
infinity divided by infinity is 1, by the fact that anything divided by itself is 1. 5 divided by infinity could be zero.

Dividing by infinity causes the same confusion as dividing by zero, however.

Deja~vu
I hate math....but okay, zero divided by zero is zero.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Deja~vu
I hate math....but okay, zero divided by zero is zero. 0 / 0 = 1

Deja~vu
Shut up. mad stick out tongue

leonheartmm
yes but to divide by ITSELF, it needs to be a defined constant, infinity is more of a variable. not every infinite is equal to another infinite.

lord xyz
Doesn't have to be defined, it's just theoretical.

leonheartmm
^yes but even in theory, it has to define what it SIGNIFIES{whether it actually exists or not} in terms of other concepts. and seeing as divinding by infinity always gives zero, it becomes more of a variable value then a constant. otherwise, 1 cud me made equal to 2 on the fact that by dividing by the same constant{i.e. infinity} they both give zero, which are equal to one another, and hence, infinity can be cancelled on both sides and 1 is equal to 2.

agphoenix
I think dividing by zero is the same as when someone excepts themself.

hysterical
Dude, sarcastic or not, that's freakin' hilarious!

OK.

Factorials:
eg.1 4!=4x3x2x1=24
eg.2 3!=3x2x1=6
eg.3 2!=2x1=2
eg.4 1!=1
Sooo 0!=?

My very expensive calculator and well-read Prof. at the University when I graduated back in '93 claims...

0x0=0 but 0!=1

WTF! death

Grand_Moff_Gav
And they say there's no God!

agphoenix
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
And they say there's no God!

lol

lord xyz
Originally posted by agphoenix
hysterical
Dude, sarcastic or not, that's freakin' hilarious!

OK.

Factorials:
eg.1 4!=4x3x2x1=24
eg.2 3!=3x2x1=6
eg.3 2!=2x1=2
eg.4 1!=1
Sooo 0!=?

My very expensive calculator and well-read Prof. at the University when I graduated back in '93 claims...

0x0=0 but 0!=1

WTF! death Windows calculator sucks. stick out tongue

leonheartmm
0! can be found by the gamma function or sumthing. or so my maths teacher once said.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
(as population density is zero in anything infinitely large). Always seems so trippy

agphoenix
Windows calculator sucks. stick out tongue
Didn't use a Windows calculator bro. I'm getting my second degree and I've used 2 different $200~ calculators and spoken to 2 Math Professors... one at the University of Arizona, and the other at WSU. And a lot of drunk friends who eventually wanted to kill themselves!

Then we figured it was better to talk about womens' ass-ets and the 360, PS3, and the meaning of:

I'm simple in my complexity but complex in my simplicity.

We drank even more! cheers

lord xyz
Originally posted by agphoenix
Didn't use a Windows calculator bro. I'm getting my second degree and I've used 2 different $200~ calculators and spoken to 2 Math Professors... one at the University of Arizona, and the other at WSU. And a lot of drunk friends who eventually wanted to kill themselves!

Then we figured it was better to talk about womens' ass-ets and the 360, PS3, and the meaning of:

I'm simple in my complexity but complex in my simplicity.

We drank even more! cheers Hehe.

When I started this thread, I was trying to get the infinity character, so I went on wikipedia, and all it said was "cannot divide by infinity".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.