Which Actor/Actress/Movie do you think didn't deserve an Oscar? Why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

agphoenix
I'll list one for each right now:
Actor: Jamie Foxx in 'Ray'...How much did he really have to do? I don't think he did it that well either.

Actress: Susan Saradon in 'Dead Man Walking'...I don't think she had to play as complex a role as Elizabeth Shue the same year in 'Leaving Las Vegas'.

Movie: 'Shakespeare in Love' when 'Saving Private Ryan' was a nominee the same year. A LOT more roles in SPR were addressed, and I think their complexity was handled a lot better.

Thoughts?

bakerboy
Movie: Ordinary people beating ranging bull and elephant man was just ridiculous. Same with dancing with wolves beating goodfellas.

actor: roberto benigni, tommy lee jones.

Actresses: helen hunt.

sithsaber408
Annie Hall beating Star Wars for picture of the year in 1977.

Oh, and Denzel Washington for Training Day. Denzel deserved his Oscar, but not for that film. It was a cheap gangster part. He should've won for Hurricane or Malcom X.

agphoenix
Originally posted by bakerboy
...Same with dancing with wolves beating goodfellas...
You're freakin' KIDDING? shocking I don't remember that.

I dunno. I think he was pretty good. Remember who he beat by any chance?

No s#!t. That was crazy.

I thought he was really, really good in that movie. Although thinking about it, I would lean towards Malcom X too. Yeah. Most biographies tend to do better than other movies anyway, imo.

SpaceMonkey
Movie: Chicago beating The Two Towers. That was plain silly!

Actor: Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood beating Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction. Travesty!!

Both of those, Chicago and Landau, will not be remembered longer than the losers in their respective categories.

bakerboy
Yes, dancing with wolves did beat goodfellas in 1990. A total joke and total crazy.

Benigni did beat nick nolte for aflicction, ed norton for american history x, tom hanks for saving private ryan and ian mackelle for gods and monsters. All of them better than him.

Agree that washington winning for trainning day and losing for malcom x was a joke. But i think that landau deserved his oscar. He was better that the great work of sam jackson in pulp fiction. His bela lugosi was great.

jaden101

Benigni did beat nick nolte for aflicction, ed norton for american history x, tom hanks for saving private ryan and ian mackelle for gods and monsters. All of them better than him.

i couldn't disagree more...Benigni was far better than any of those roles...especially Norton...who, while he was good in that film, has proven since that he is incapable of living up to his promise...

bakerboy
Totally desagree with that. Benigni was only a clown. His movie was sad at times, but far worse than those performances. Mackellen and Nolte were perfection in their roles, Norton and Hanks the same.

Another one: marion cotillard for la vie in rose.Not because she was bad, but because Julie Christie was better in away from her.

jaden101
Totally desagree with that. Benigni was only a clown. His movie was sad at times, but far worse than those performances. Mackellen and Nolte were perfection in their roles, Norton and Hanks the same.

Another one: marion cotillard for la vie in rose.Not because she was bad, but because Julie Christie was better in away from her.

Hanks was a wooden box in saving private Ryan....the whole film lives of the reputation of the 1st 15 minutes...the rest, for the most part is boring and badly acted drivel

Nick Nolte would be the nearest...

fact is it's alot more difficult for a foreign lanuage film to get even a nomination for best oscar outwith the foreign language film award....so for an actor in a foreign language film to win best actor...it's almost unheard of...i believe it's only happened 1 other time in oscars history

Benigni's performace was exemplary...

agphoenix
...Benigni was only a clown...Mackellen and Nolte were perfection in their roles, Norton and Hanks the same.
I do agree. It's funny because I was actually going to mention Ed Norton first, McKellen, Nolte, Hanks.

jaden101 You're right about Norton quite being able to prove himself since then , but the question is THAT particular year, not his career after. I know you've made that year's point clear. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about his career after.

I think the whole 'Chicago' thing was because it was the first musical in like a 1000 years . But I do agree with you 100%

Röland
Actor: Adrian Brody in "The Pianist". I thought Daniel Day Lewis played a much greater character in Bill the Butcher.

jaden101
Originally posted by agphoenix
I do agree. It's funny because I was actually going to mention Ed Norton first, McKellen, Nolte, Hanks.

jaden101 You're right about Norton quite being able to prove himself since then , but the question is THAT particular year, not his career after. I know you've made that year's point clear. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about his career after.

I think the whole 'Chicago' thing was because it was the first musical in like a 1000 years . But I do agree with you 100%

he still didn't deserve it (Norton)

to be fair though...if the Oscars were about awarding the best films and actors from around the world...American films would rarely win...fact is they're a way for the US film industry to spend sickening amounts of cash and give themselves big pats on the back

agphoenix
Originally posted by jaden101
...Benigni's performace was exemplary...

I actually agree. But I ALMOST can't separate his exemplary performance to Norton's CHILLING initial depiction and then his flawless transformation into who he became towards the end.

I'd have to lean towards Norton eventhough I agree with your comment about Benigni.

And btw I do understand your point about foreign movies etc. But the way I see it, that's what the 'Best Foreign' film is about. Bollywood from the east makes some very very good movies. But they've only EVER been considered in that category. So...a little discrepancy on their part there I think.

agphoenix

WrathfulDwarf
The Oscars are overrated in my book.

With that thought in mind....Titanic getting all the Oscars was BS.

Even that annoying song won? Give me a break!

MildPossession
Anything that went to The Departed was a joke. Does anyone here actually watch the Oscars whole...

SpaceMonkey
Good point... what do the Oscars really mean? It's a popularity contest. Obviously the best performances and best movies don't always win.

Whenever Hollywood is entering a phase of Foreign Films, foreign films get the awards. When it's the Indy film phase, indy films get the awards.

Scorcese had never received an Oscar, so they gave him one. There are so many admitted "sentimental" votes, it's ridiculous.

There's the Oscar sweethearts like Zellweger who will continue to be nominated, if not win, without really deserving it.

In 10 years Begnini won't even be remembered whereas Norton's role in American History X is widely considered a classic.

Titanic winning anything other than effects Oscars is a joke.

Brody is good, but come on!! Bill the Freakin' Butcher!!!

Sorry, I have a beef with people getting undeserved props and those that deserve them not getting them. It's a pet peeve.

jaden101
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey

In 10 years Begnini won't even be remembered whereas Norton's role in american History X is widely considered a classic.

T

only by the mindless drones that only watch hollywood drivel...

Life is Beautiful clearly has calibre beyond anything american history x could even dream of having

Grand Prize of the jury at Cannes for example

57 wins and 23 nominations...compared to american history x's 2 wins and 9 nominations

i'm not saying i didn't like it...and i'm not saying Norton was bad in it...but it's not in the same league as Life is Beautiful

agphoenix
Sorry, I have a beef with people getting undeserved props and those that deserve them not getting them. It's a pet peeve.

Couldn't agree more.

And the gentleman who mentioned the Titanic.....let's never do that again...please?

blowup

SpaceMonkey
only by the mindless drones that only watch hollywood drivel...

For whatever reason, it will not be remembered as much. I am not saying it sucked as a motion picture, far from it... but unfortunately, 8/10 people, drones or not, will remember OR prefer American History X.

celestialdemon
Actor: Roberto Benigni practically stole Ian McKellen's Oscar for Gods and Monsters.

Actress: Hilary Swank definitely didn't deserve to win for Million Dollar Baby. It should have gone to Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Movie: Annie Hall beating Star Wars for Best Picture was wrong on so many levels.

agphoenix
Originally posted by celestialdemon
...Actress: Hilary Swank definitely didn't deserve to win for Million Dollar Baby. It should have gone to Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

I'd have to disagree with that one, imo of course. Now I'm not comparing MOVIES, because I think Eternal Sunshine was an excellent movie. But as far as acting is concerned, I don't think it would have taken Winslett much to really portray her charcter; a perky and eccentric person, something she seems like she is in real life anyway. Let me re-phrase that; something that she seems to come across in interviews. Except she swears like a sailor!

I think it might be more difficult to portray a person from a really poor background, while having a zest and ambition in life that surpasses all the shortcomings. And then Swank had to portray the same type of 'I won't give up' attitude when she was paralyzed after the accident, without moving much other than her mouth and her eyes. I personally thought that was brilliant.

jaden101
For whatever reason, it will not be remembered as much. I am not saying it sucked as a motion picture, far from it... but unfortunately, 8/10 people, drones or not, will remember OR prefer American History X. 8 out of 10 people will probably remember transformers as well...so that's not a measure of how good a film is or how good the acting is.

if you were to look back on american history x again and look past the skinhead...Norton's performance is actually pretty much the same as alot of his other performances...notable 25th hour and fightclub...i think he's had the benefit of working with good directors and good scripts more than him being a good actor

agphoenix
8 out of 10 people will probably remember transformers as well...so that's not a measure of how good a film is or how good the acting is.
very true

'fightclub'? Where he's the meager alter-ego vs. 'American History X', in which imo of course, he was very much a convincing and brutal character. And although I know you mention 'notable' before your two examples, let's not forget 'Primal Fear'.

Not too shabby a deal if it's getting him his performances' results.

jaden101
very true

'fightclub'? Where he's the meager alter-ego vs. 'American History X', in which imo of course, he was very much a convincing and brutal character. And although I know you mention 'notable' before your two examples, let's not forget 'Primal Fear'.

Not too shabby a deal if it's getting him his performances' results.

it's not though...certainly not to the degree that he deserves the level of praise this thread is getting him...

but still...different strokes for different folks i suppose

agphoenix
it's not though...certainly not to the degree that he deserves the level of praise this thread is getting him...
Fair enough. I never meant for him to be the main focus of the thread anyway. Just wanted to discuss everyone's feedback on Oscar history and some of it's horrifying results

Haven't heard/read that in a while man! smile

jaden101
what can i say...i'm old...as hills that are old even for hills

agphoenix
what can i say...i'm old...as hills that are old even for hills
Mr.G.D. Male DOB May 18th 1979
Mr.A.G. Male DOB May 23rd 1975

Nice to meet you '4-year-younger-Geminian'.

Buon roba! Buon roba!

jaden101
3 years and 360 days...you do me a disservice...hahaha...

agphoenix
3 years and 360 days...you do me a disservice...hahaha...
laughing

agphoenix
PEOPLE PEOPLE:

'Citizen Kane' : Oscar for Best Movie back in 1941 I believe.

Also on almost every movie aficionado's website as one of the top 3 movies of ALL TIME.

I don't care who should have won. Has anyone actually tried watching it? And made it all the way through without praying to slip into a coma?

FistOfThe North
Actor: Roberto Benigni practically stole Ian McKellen's Oscar for Gods and Monsters.

Actress: Hilary Swank definitely didn't deserve to win for Million Dollar Baby. It should have gone to Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Movie: Annie Hall beating Star Wars for Best Picture was wrong on so many levels.

Hm. Never really thought of this. Although, I did think the Johnny Depp/George Cloony best actor nods last year was foul. How do you mention George Cloony and Daniel Day in the same sentence film-wise. And Depp's good but not Oscar caliber.

The Annie Hall/Star Wars thing, at times, gets to me too.

MildPossession
Technical film making terms, Kane is one of the best for that, and it is. As for overall, it's not in my favourites.

agphoenix
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
...How do you mention George Cloony and Daniel Day in the same sentence film-wise...
I know. Ridiculous.

How would you justify that? And by that, I just mean taking his biography and performances into account, why would he not be an Oscar-worthy actor?

MildPossession
I'm glad it's not in your overall favourites smile but just out of interest are you just stating the fact that it's technical film-making is one of the best, or are you justifying the win due to it?

celestialdemon
I'd have to disagree with that one, imo of course. Now I'm not comparing MOVIES, because I think Eternal Sunshine was an excellent movie. But as far as acting is concerned, I don't think it would have taken Winslett much to really portray her charcter; a perky and eccentric person, something she seems like she is in real life anyway. Let me re-phrase that; something that she seems to come across in interviews. Except she swears like a sailor!

I think it might be more difficult to portray a person from a really poor background, while having a zest and ambition in life that surpasses all the shortcomings. And then Swank had to portray the same type of 'I won't give up' attitude when she was paralyzed after the accident, without moving much other than her mouth and her eyes. I personally thought that was brilliant.

Different strokes, I guess. Personally, I'm tired of the poor or handicap roles getting far more credit than they deserve (see Sean Penn for I Am Sam). I thought her performance was good but not great. Certainly not as good as she was in Boys Don't Cry.

Out of the nominees, I felt as though both Winslet and maybe Catalina Sandino Moreno gave much stronger performances. Winslet's character had to take on a myriad of different emotions and personalities for her character, and she did them all seemlessly and believably. Moreno gave a real sense of desperation to the performance that was a lot better than I'd seen in much more seasoned actors.

jaden101
Different strokes, I guess. Personally, I'm tired of the poor or handicap roles getting far more credit than they deserve (see Sean Penn for I Am Sam). I thought her performance was good but not great. Certainly not as good as she was in Boys Don't Cry.

just out of curiousity...do you feel that way about Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump...and if you've seen it Mathieu Amalric as Jean-Dominique Bauby in Diving bell and the butterfly?

agphoenix
...Personally, I'm tired of the poor or handicap roles getting far more credit than they deserve (see Sean Penn for I Am Sam). I thought her performance was good but not great. Certainly not as good as she was in Boys Don't Cry...
I agree completely about the comment about 'Boys Don't Cry' . As far as using 'I am Sam' as the basis of the 'handicap roles' discussion, I'd have to say that that movie was more of a 'lets try and purposely pull the viewers' emotional strings' in order to make it a good movie.
'My Left Foot' with Daniel Day Lewis: absolutely phenomenal and deserving in every way.
'A Beautiful Mind' with Russell Crowe: great performance of a handicapped character.
I understand that you are tired of handicap roles getting more credit than they deserve, but I guarantee you that for every non-deserving movie I can come up with one that well-deserves it.

That WOULD have to be personal opinions, although either of us backing up the opinions would be far more effective; which you have done as far as Winslet is concerned, what with the myriad of emotions. I backed up Swank's performance for the reasons I thought stood still, so yeah...to each his own as far as this one is concerned.

MildPossession
I respect it because it was one film of influence for future film making in editing/shots and so on. There were films that did certain things beforehand I believe, but Kane really brought it into light.

agphoenix
Originally posted by MildPossession
I respect it because it was one film of influence for future film making in editing/shots and so on. There were films that did certain things beforehand I believe, but Kane really brought it into light.
OK. So you're basically stating that it set a milestone. And future movies used the milestone as a measure, and maybe even a reason for innovation in, editing you mention.
I don't mean to put words in your mouth but I'm ASSUMING that's what you mean. And that may very well be the case. I actually did notice the use of the camera in ways it hadn't been before.

But does that alone make it Oscar-worthy as the movie of the year, let alone one of the top three movies of all time?

Eg. 'Saving Private Ryan' set an imposing milestone in Audio Engineering. But I don't think that alone should justify it winning the Oscar for Best Movie.

I wonder if they actually HAD a Best Editing category back in the 40's. If not, that'd certainly weaken my point of view huh? smile

MildPossession
I didn't say that it deserved an Oscar because of that reason. Everything else right yes.

BackFire
Actor - Russel Crowe - Gladiator (I think he won)

Actress - Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich (Shoulda went to Ellen Burstyn for her amazing part in Requiem for a Dream).

Movie - Gladiator (An exceptionally generic movie, still surprising that it got any awards or nominations for anything).

agphoenix
I didn't say that it deserved an Oscar because of that reason. Everything else right yes.
No, I was just wondering. Didn't know for a fact. Sorry it came across that way.

Impediment
Marisa Tomei for My Cousin Vinny.

No explanation needed.

agphoenix
Originally posted by BackFire
Actor - Russel Crowe - Gladiator (I think he won)

Actress - Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich (Shoulda went to Ellen Burstyn for her amazing part in Requiem for a Dream).

Movie - Gladiator (An exceptionally generic movie, still surprising that it got any awards or nominations for anything).

Can't remember the competition for either of the Gladiator categories. glare

I was REALLY hoping someone would bring up Roberts. I could not agree with you more. I thought someone would've stomped his/her foot down my throat! sad

Impediment lol1

MildPossession
Gladiator was up against Traffic, Chocolat, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Erin Brokovich for Best Film that year.

I also laugh when a film wins Best Film, yet it didn't win for Best DIRECTOR, or Best SCREENPLAY... two important things that contribute to a film... ala what happened with Gladiator. For Gladiator, didn't win Best Cinematography, Actress, Supporting Actor and so on. Yet it still won Best film.

agphoenix
Gladiator was up against Traffic, Chocolat, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Erin Brokovich for Best Film that year.
Holy Mother of...toads and...jams or something! TRAFFIC was up there. Man, that movie is in a league of its own compared to the others . The others were great but...damn!

Yeah, I was going to mention that earlier. The cinematography was really really good.

Someone mention their thoughts on JAMIE FOXX winning best actor for RAY when DiCaprio was up for The Aviator. Someone PLEASE bring up Foxx!

jaden101
anyway...who do i think didn't deserve the oscars for best actor or actress

Kevin Costner in 1990 for dances with wolves...should've went to deniro for awakenings...although Kathy Bates deserved it for misery

1993 was a very competative year....Hanks in Philadelphia...DDL in in the name of the father...Liam Neeson in Schindlers list...all outstanding performances...cant really pick between them so cant argue as to who should have won

but best supporting actor was a shambles...Tommy lee Jones?...when Ralph Fiennes was up for it for Schindlers list...total travesty

1995...cant believe Nicholas Cage has ever won an oscar...the man is devoid of talent...total disgrace

Geoffry Rush for Shine in 1996?...mmm...although not sure who i'd have picked out of the other nominees to be honest...probably Ralph Fiennes

Kevin Spacey in 1997?...i loved American Beauty but i dont think he should've won over Denzel Washington in Hurricane

Crowe in Gladiator over any of the other performances?...total pandering nonsense

agphoenix
...Kevin Costner...
Kevin Costner...Oscar...NEVER, EVER, EVER

Although I'm an insane DDL fan, I'd probably go with Liam

Didn't even remember that. Good God! Ralph, hands down.

Personally think that's a tad harsh. Although I can't think of a really good performance of his right now. smile Merde!

I liked him quite a bit in that one. Although...was Ralph up for 'The English Patient'?

celestialdemon
just out of curiousity...do you feel that way about Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump...and if you've seen it Mathieu Amalric as Jean-Dominique Bauby in Diving bell and the butterfly?

No. I think if a person gives a great performance playing a handicap, then he/she should get due credit, like Tom Hanks did for Forrest Gump (I haven't seen Diving Bell, so I can't comment). However, I don't think that a performance like that should hold more weight than another great performance that isn't a handicap role.

So, while I think roles like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot, and Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man were incredible, I don't think that Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby, Sean Penn in I Am Sam, or Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? were.

Röland
1995...cant believe Nicholas Cage has ever won an oscar...the man is devoid of talent...total disgrace
I totally agree with you but his acting style, somehow, fit the role of Ben Sanderson in Leaving Las Vegas.

celestialdemon
I agree completely about the comment about 'Boys Don't Cry' . As far as using 'I am Sam' as the basis of the 'handicap roles' discussion, I'd have to say that that movie was more of a 'lets try and purposely pull the viewers' emotional strings' in order to make it a good movie.
'My Left Foot' with Daniel Day Lewis: absolutely phenomenal and deserving in every way.
'A Beautiful Mind' with Russell Crowe: great performance of a handicapped character.
I understand that you are tired of handicap roles getting more credit than they deserve, but I guarantee you that for every non-deserving movie I can come up with one that well-deserves it.

I agree. There are plenty of movies where someone plays a handicap person and does it terrifically. Just look at Javier Bardem in The Sea Inside. He was amazing. I'm not knocking handicap roles. I just don't like it when an actor playing a handicap role gets more credit for their performance than they should have.

celestialdemon
anyway...who do i think didn't deserve the oscars for best actor or actress

Kevin Costner in 1990 for dances with wolves...should've went to deniro for awakenings...although Kathy Bates deserved it for misery

He didn't win it. It went to Jeremy Irons for Reversal of Fortune, a much deserved Oscar for that role.

1993 was a very competative year....Hanks in Philadelphia...DDL in in the name of the father...Liam Neeson in Schindlers list...all outstanding performances...cant really pick between them so cant argue as to who should have won

but best supporting actor was a shambles...Tommy lee Jones?...when Ralph Fiennes was up for it for Schindlers list...total travesty

I actually agreed with the winner. I would have been happy with Ralph Fiennes winning, too.

He was great in that movie, but I don't think he should have won. I preferred Sean Penn for Dead Man Walking that year.

Geoffry Rush for Shine in 1996?...mmm...although not sure who i'd have picked out of the other nominees to be honest...probably Ralph Fiennes

Agreed. This was a tough one.

Kevin Spacey in 1997?...i loved American Beauty but i dont think he should've won over Denzel Washington in Hurricane

I preferred Spacey's role here. I had Denzel third behind Russell Crowe for The Insider.

Crowe in Gladiator over any of the other performances?...total pandering nonsense

Oh yeah. That was a terrible choice. Damn near every other nominee was better than him here.

jaden101

I liked him quite a bit in that one. Although...was Ralph up for 'The English Patient'?

yip

oh yeah...it was best director he got for it wasn't it...oops...my mistake

you should check it out...amazing film...and yeah i agre about your point about disabled roles

agphoenix
...So, while I think roles like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot, and Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man were incredible, I don't think that Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby, Sean Penn in I Am Sam, or Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? were.
The only one I'd question a little bit would be Swank, but that's an opinion's opinion, as I mentioned before.

What are your thought about DiCaprio in 'The Aviator'?

jaden101 Ralph...English Patient...then yeah, should've been him

Diving Bell: excellent movie

Roland THANK YOU...I KNEW i was forgetting one Of Cage's films. Yes, I thought he wonderful in that one.

MildPossession
Geoffry Rush in Shine, ah he was fantastic, I've yet to see English Patient so can't comment if he was better than Ralph or not.

bakerboy
Crowe won for gladiator over javier bardem for before the night falls, tom hanks for cast away , ed harris for pollock and geoffrey rush for quills, a total travesty.

Tommy Lee Jones won over ralph fiennes for shindler list, leonardo dicaprio for gilbert grape, john malkovich for in the line of fire and pete postwlate for in the name of the father, travesty.

Helen Hunt won over julie christie for afterglow, kate winslet for titanic, helena boham carter for the wings of the dove and judy dench for mrs brown, travesty.

julia roberts won over everyone, travesty.

Halle berry winning over everyone, travesty.

In fact, the oscars history is one travesty history.

gryphon28
Jamie Fox played that part in Ray I think he definitely deserved the Oscar

agphoenix
...In fact, the oscars history is one travesty history...

laughing

To some extent I suppose. but 'history' ?

I was almost ECSTATIC about the fact that Benecio Del Toro won for 'Traffic'.

Great, mind you SLOW.

I think it was you jaden101 who mentioned not having watched 'The English Patient'. Good movie, but imo extremely slow-paced. I think that in itself might have been part of why the Oscar didn't lean towards him. I think that often movies that have not received as much exposure end up getting the bitter end. Not always, but often.

Which reminds me that I was very pleasantly surprised when 'Depp' was for 'Pirates'. Because I couldn't think of many movies in Oscar history that fell under the comedy/action/thrillers category that were even considered for awards.

agphoenix
Originally posted by gryphon28
Jamie Fox played that part in Ray I think he definitely deserved the Oscar

Aaaaah. Someone brings it up!

If I'm correct about the year, I believe DiCaprio was up for 'The Aviator'. Now both were playing historical figures with their own eccentricities, achievements and tragedies. How do you personally measure their performances?

Obviously, I believe DiCaprio should have won 'Best Actor' instead.

chillmeistergen
Which reminds me that I was very pleasantly surprised when 'Depp' was for 'Pirates'. Because I couldn't think of many movies in Oscar history that fell under the comedy/action/thrillers category that were even considered for awards.

I feel the opposite. I really don't think that any Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, role or anything deserved even a nomination.

Bardock42
8 out of 10 people will probably remember transformers as well...so that's not a measure of how good a film is or how good the acting is.

if you were to look back on american history x again and look past the skinhead...Norton's performance is actually pretty much the same as alot of his other performances...notable 25th hour and fightclub...i think he's had the benefit of working with good directors and good scripts more than him being a good actor How is his performance in American History X anything like those in Fight Club or 25th Hour?

agphoenix
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I feel the opposite. I really don't think that any Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, role or anything deserved even a nomination.

I don't think the movie should've anything either. I think just the 'Soundtrack' Oscar and Depp's was good.

He did manage to play a REALLY difficult role; an eccentric, drunk, borderline homo erotically flamboyant, clumsy, comedic and wily pirate. Not the most common type of role to pull off so well. That's what I thought at least. I agree with you about the other nominations/wins though.

agphoenix
Originally posted by Bardock42
How is his performance in American History X anything like those in Fight Club or 25th Hour?

Yeah, opinion shared about 'Fight Club', that's for sure.

jaden101
How is his performance in American History X anything like those in Fight Club or 25th Hour?

his mannerisms are identical...just because he has a skinhead and a swastika tattoo doesn't mean it's any different...

FistOfThe North

JD has an impressive resume; he's obviously quite talented; even if most of the roles he takes on are of peculiar character. I say he's the best nontraditional actor there is. Just not Oscar Caliber. That's beside the Oscars' uninterest in those types of roles.

See, I've always seen the best actor Oscar award as a prize someone wins due to how profoundly emotional that actor can portray the character he's playing. And Depp's quirkiness and aloofness makes it hard for me to look past those traits and onto what he may be capable of as an actor.

So not to take anything away from him. Depp's good, he's just not epic. He also has this pop actor element to him. I mean that's what he was after all, initially.

FistOfThe North
Profoundly emotional in relatable sort of way and not in an extremely and unorthodox fictional way, meaning.

agphoenix
...That's beside the Oscars' uninterest in those types of roles...
Very true.

Very very true.

'Blow'? That one would refute the point about emotional prowess on screen, but on the whole you're probably right.

Also, this doesn't count YET, but he's going to be in a movie named 'Shantaram', about the underground gang culture in India. And I guess he's going to be playing roles with one of the best Indian actors or something. I've read the book. If they stay true to it, and he plays the part that I think he will, then I almost guarantee you an incredibly emotional and probably Oscar worthy performance. That's just very pale conjecture though.

Can't think of someone who might be in the future either. Shame! Well, maybe Denzel or Hanks.

SpaceMonkey
Couple of things:

1. Who did Cuba Gooding Jr. beat out for supporting actor that year?
2. If Jamie Foxx won an Oscar for Ray, he should have won several Emmys also. He played the SAME Ray character(as a joke) on In Living Color almost weekly!

FistOfThe North
Yea, "Blow" was what i kept thinking about. That and "Donnie Brasco". Those roles were much more serious, but they weren't epic. They didn't sweep audiences. He did good as those characters but he still reminded me that he was indeed Johnny Deep. Now Daniel Day, he completely gets ensconced into a role to the point where you forget he's Daniel Day. Case in point, "Bill the Butcher" (which i think is one of the top 5 best villains in film history, to me) or his last role as that capitalist, for example.

But like you said, "as of yet". I'll say that he does have potential and "can" be epic. So far, he hasn't been, to me. He's good.

We'll see what he'll offer with this new role you're talking about.

chillmeistergen
I've never rated Depp's acting at all. The only movie that he's impressed me in is Donnie Brasco.

celestialdemon
The only one I'd question a little bit would be Swank, but that's an opinion's opinion, as I mentioned before.

What are your thought about DiCaprio in 'The Aviator'?

I thought he was fantastic in The Aviator. IMO, he deserved the Oscar more than Jamie Foxx did. However, my personal favorite out of the nominations was actually Don Cheadle for Hotel Rwanda. Simply amazing.

celestialdemon
Couple of things:

1. Who did Cuba Gooding Jr. beat out for supporting actor that year?

The ones I remember are James Woods for Ghosts of Mississippi and Edward Norton in Primal Fear.

SpaceMonkey
The ones I remember are James Woods for Ghosts of Mississippi and Edward Norton in Primal Fear.

Awww, that should have Norton's award! mad

agphoenix
...Now Daniel Day, he completely gets ensconced into a role to the point where you forget he's Daniel Day. Case in point, "Bill the Butcher" (which i think is one of the top 5 best villains in film history, to me)...
I haven't put up many posts, but I have NEVER agreed with someone as much as I do with that comment. In my casual conversations, , I've been violated for saying that for some reason! thumbsup

Thank you! And those were the two I was split between. I guess I always expected a performance like that one from Cheadle, but was blown away just because I didn't ever really except 'The king of the world' to do what he did!

Also, I think Norton should have won for 'Primal Fear'.

celestialdemon
Awww, that should have Norton's award! mad

Also, I think Norton should have won for 'Primal Fear'.

I was rooting for Norton to win, but I wasn't too disappointed that Cuba won. He was very good in Jerry Maguire and showed genuine excitement and happiness about winning, something very few people do nowadays.

agphoenix
I was rooting for Norton to win, but I wasn't too disappointed that Cuba won. He was very good in Jerry Maguire and showed genuine excitement and happiness about winning, something very few people do nowadays.
Oooh, I forgot Cuba was in there that year. I might have to retract my opinion about Norton for that Oscar. Cuba was phenomenal. You couldn't tell the difference between Cuba and the character he was playing if you wanted to.

Yeah, he's probably one of the most under-rated actors today too. Unfortunately he has the one thing that's mauled the Oscars in history and that's his ethnicity. There aren't nearly as many African American lead roles as others. In fact, if I remember correctly, when Denzel won the Oscar for , I believe he was only the second African American actor to win in Oscar history, after Sidney Pottier. And that was after a 40 year gap or so. Same stands true for Pan's Labyrinth and the crew involved. Actors etc. of Spanish descent are even less likely to come across a leading role . I remember hearing all the hoop-la on the TV when they were broadcasting the Oscars that year; how it was an amazing year for Hispanics in history.

P.S. I use all the racial terms loosely and don't wish to offend anyone. I got sick of the fear of getting killed if I said the wrong thing when I was in the U.S! Here it's simple. You call a Northerner a Sicilian and you get mowed down by Tommy guns. Matter resolved!

Impediment
Personally, I would have loved it if Sam Jackson had gotten the BSA Oscar for Pulp Fiction, rather than Martin Landau for Ed Wood.

papabeard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The Oscars are overrated in my book.

With that thought in mind....Titanic getting all the Oscars was BS.

Even that annoying song won? Give me a break!

Just a small point, but Elliot Smiths "Miss Misery" from Good Will Hunting was nominated alongside Celine Dion " My Heart Will Go On" and Smiths song I believe should have won the oscar, another travesty.

agphoenix
Originally posted by papabeard
Just a small point, but Elliot Smiths "Miss Misery" from Good Will Hunting was nominated alongside Celine Dion " My Heart Will Go On" and Smiths song I believe should have won the oscar, another travesty.

hysterical

Bardock42
Originally posted by papabeard
Just a small point, but Elliot Smiths "Miss Misery" from Good Will Hunting was nominated alongside Celine Dion " My Heart Will Go On" and Smiths song I believe should have won the oscar, another travesty. In fact I think that Celine Dion should be ritually sacrificed to re-bestow life to Elliott Smith...

papabeard
In fact I think that Celine Dion should be ritually sacrificed to re-bestow life to Elliott Smith...

cheers

celestialdemon
Oooh, I forgot Cuba was in there that year. I might have to retract my opinion about Norton for that Oscar. Cuba was phenomenal. You couldn't tell the difference between Cuba and the character he was playing if you wanted to.

Yeah, he's probably one of the most under-rated actors today too. Unfortunately he has the one thing that's mauled the Oscars in history and that's his ethnicity. There aren't nearly as many African American lead roles as others. In fact, if I remember correctly, when Denzel won the Oscar for , I believe he was only the second African American actor to win in Oscar history, after Sidney Pottier. And that was after a 40 year gap or so. Same stands true for Pan's Labyrinth and the crew involved. Actors etc. of Spanish descent are even less likely to come across a leading role . I remember hearing all the hoop-la on the TV when they were broadcasting the Oscars that year; how it was an amazing year for Hispanics in history.

I think the Academy is getting far better at recognizing black actors now. In the 90's, there were only 9 black actors nominated for roles, with only 2 winning (both supporting) This decade so far, 14 black actors have been nominated with 6 winning (4 being lead roles). That's a far cry from the 40 year gap between wins like you mentioned.

I completely agree with you about Spanish decent actors not getting them right now, though. I think only 3 has been nominated in the past 20 years, and that was Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz, and Catalina Sandino Moreno.

agphoenix
I...This decade so far, 14 black actors have been nominated with 6 winning (4 being lead roles)...
4 leads? Really? Who? I can't think of anyone except Denzel, and he'll always deserve it.
Oh wait, Whitaker huh?
Yeah ok, who're the other 2? I'd look it up, but then this would not be as much fun!

celestialdemon
4 leads? Really? Who? I can't think of anyone except Denzel, and he'll always deserve it.
Oh wait, Whitaker huh?
Yeah ok, who're the other 2? I'd look it up, but then this would not be as much fun!

The other 2 are Jamie Foxx and Halle Berry.

Whitaker definitely deserved his role. He was scary good in Last King. I honestly don't think Denzel deserved to win for Training Day. HOWEVER, he was screwed out of his Oscar back in '92 for Malcolm X.

DeVi| D0do
Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption.
English Patient over Fargo.
Titanic over anything.
Crash over anything.
Gladiator over anything.
Silence of the Lambs over Beauty and the Beast.
Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas.
The French Connection over A Clockwork Orange
Ordinary People over Raging Bull.
Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn.
Hilary Swank over Kate Winslet.
Alan Arkin over Djimon Hounsou or Eddie Murphy.
Cuba Gooding Jr over William H Macy
Martin Landau over Sam Jackson
Ben Affleck and Matt Damon over PT Anderson for screenplay.

gryphon28
Aaaaah. Someone brings it up!

If I'm correct about the year, I believe DiCaprio was up for 'The Aviator'. Now both were playing historical figures with their own eccentricities, achievements and tragedies. How do you personally measure their performances?

Obviously, I believe DiCaprio should have won 'Best Actor' instead.

I don't think so, Jamie Fox sounded like Ray when he singed and how he moved was just like a blind man like I said he played that part

Devil King
I don't think so, Jamie Fox sounded like Ray when he singed and how he moved was just like a blind man like I said he played that part

Personally, I think Mr. Foxx deserved an Oscar. Foxx managed to pull of a very, very believable Ray Charles, especially in the context of the film being presented. I think a lot of people who claim differently don't know too much about Ray Charles or what it involves to totally become another person, a real person, for a movie.

Strangelove
I don't think so, Jamie Fox sounded like Ray when he singed and how he moved was just like a blind man like I said he played that part that's because they used Ray Charles's voice, I don't think Foxx actually sang in the movie.

gryphon28
Jamie fox did sang in the movie he is very talented and if you ever heard Ray Charlie's sang you can hear the slight deferents in their voices

agphoenix
Originally posted by Devil King
...I think a lot of people who claim differently don't know too much about Ray Charles or what it involves to totally become another person, a real person, for a movie...
Somewhat harsh no? smile

I know more than I needed to know for the movie, and that's well enough. But in all honesty, I really am a Ray Charles fan and know a decent deal about him so...I don't believe you should include me in the generalization about not knowing enough. IMO it's just that I understand that the last part of your comment; about playing other people is mute.

Why? Because they were both playing another person, and unless either of us have had years of acting experience, knowing 'what it takes' is not really an informed comparison.

As far as moving like a blind man...I'm sorry but I think it's a tad easier to move your head back and forth than it is to portray Howard Hughes' disorder in 'The Aviator'. Again, I'm not an actor, but it would seem to me that practicing your part by closing your eyes and pulling off some very great scenes...differs a lot from a slow progression from a healthy man to one who had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) when he died.

Some of you mentioned Jamie's singing. I'm an Audio Engineer and my friend lives in Seattle and let me in on a well-known well-known cool ] fact amongst their little clan. Jamie Fox DID sing the songs BUT, Charles' original voice was modulated and mixed in with Jamie's! Basically the final sound you heard was an 'engineered' version of both; Jamie and Charles.

Bardock42
Jamie fox did sang in the movie he is very talented and if you ever heard Ray Charlie's sang you can hear the slight deferents in their voices

You really, really hate time, don't you?

agphoenix
laughing

agphoenix
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption.
English Patient over Fargo.
Titanic over anything.
Crash over anything.
Gladiator over anything.
Silence of the Lambs over Beauty and the Beast.
Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas.
The French Connection over A Clockwork Orange
Ordinary People over Raging Bull.
Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn.
Hilary Swank over Kate Winslet.
Alan Arkin over Djimon Hounsou or Eddie Murphy.
Cuba Gooding Jr over William H Macy
Martin Landau over Sam Jackson
Ben Affleck and Matt Damon over PT Anderson for screenplay.
So 'Silence of the Lambs' should NOT have won?

I don't know what 'Crash' was up against, but it kicked A$$ .

So wait...'Silence of the Lambs' should NOT have beaten 'The Beauty and the Thingy'?

Cannot BELIEVE the 'Raging Bull' decision.

DeVi| D0do
Silence of the Lambs is such an average film... So is Ordinary People. Crash is just shit.

Blax_Hydralisk
If you had to list your top five favorite films, what would they be?

edit *Reads profile* Nevermind...

DeVi| D0do
I shudder to think what I have in my profile... Haven't updated that thing in years. My favourite films change daily.

Blax_Hydralisk
Thank god. Because Batman Begins...

Kazenji
Was crap for you.

Quiero Mota
PEOPLE PEOPLE:

'Citizen Kane' : Oscar for Best Movie back in 1941 I believe.

Also on almost every movie aficionado's website as one of the top 3 movies of ALL TIME.

I don't care who should have won. Has anyone actually tried watching it? And made it all the way through without praying to slip into a coma?

That, The Godfather and It's A Wonderful Life are the 3 most overrated movies of all time in my opinion.

agphoenix
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
That, The Godfather and It's A Wonderful Life are the 3 most overrated movies of all time in my opinion.

Forgive me, I'm going to have a heart attack and it has nothing to do with YOU, and you are of course entitled to your own opi...

OMFG!!!

Please tell me you looked at my profile and are just trying to hurt me. Please?

'The Godfather'? HOW the HECK is that movie overrated? fear

SpaceMonkey

By that rationale, Joaquin Phoenix should have won the Oscar for playing Johnny Cash in Walk the Line. A far better movie and portrayal. BTW, Phoenix DID sing every song as Cash, Foxx did not.

Quiero Mota
Forgive me, I'm going to have a heart attack and it has nothing to do with YOU, and you are of course entitled to your own opi...

OMFG!!!

Please tell me you looked at my profile and are just trying to hurt me. Please?

'The Godfather'? HOW the HECK is that movie overrated? fear

Here's how:

"Overrated" doesn't mean bad. It means that something is given credit it doesn't deserve. I think The Godfather is a good movie, but the fact that it consistently makes top five lists is due to a bandwagon mentality.

By that rationale, Joaquin Phoenix should have won the Oscar for playing Johnny Cash in Walk the Line. A far better movie and portrayal. BTW, Phoenix DID sing every song as Cash, Foxx did not.

I personally think Jaoquin should've.

celestialdemon
Quick rundown of who I think should have won so far this decade:

Picture: Traffic instead of Gladiator
Actor: Tom Hanks or Javier Bardem instead of Russell Crowe
S. Actress: Kate Hudson instead of Marcia Gay Harden

Picture: Lord of the Rings: FOTR instead of A Beautiful Mind
Actor: Tom Wilkinson instead of Denzel Washington
Actress: Sissy Spacek instead of Halle Berry
S. Actor: Ian McKellen instead of Jim Broadbent (but I'm not disappointed about it)
S. Actress: Helen Mirren instead of Jennifer Connelly

Picture: Lord of the Rings: TT instead of Chicago
Actor: Maybe Daniel Day-Lewis instead of Adrian Brody, but they were both deserving.
Actress: Julianne Moore instead of Nicole Kidman

Actor: Johnny Depp instead of Sean Penn

Picture: The Aviator instead of Million Dollar Baby
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio or Don Cheadle instead of Jamie Foxx
Actress: Kate Winslet instead of Hilary Swank
S. Actor: Jamie Foxx gave the best performance out of the nominees, but since his performance was actually a lead instead of supporting, I'll go with Clive Owen instead of Morgan Freeman.
S. Actress: Natalie Portman instead of Cate Blanchett

Picture: Good Night, and Good Luck instead of Crash

S. Actor: Eddie Murphy instead of Alan Arkin, although my favorite performance was from Mark Wahlberg

Actress: Ellen Page instead of Marion Cotillard

DeVi| D0do
"Overrated" doesn't mean bad. It means that something is given credit it doesn't deserve. I think The Godfather is a good movie, but the fact that it consistently makes top five lists is due to a bandwagon mentality
Nah, The Godfather is a masterpiece... you just say that due to a nonconformist mentality.

stick out tongue

SnakeEyes

Definitely agree with this section of your post.

agphoenix

Agree on all.

I thought Beautiful Mind was phenomenal, in everyway. Would have to disagree imo.
Actor: can't remember the movies
Actress: If that was the 'Monster's Ball' crap year, then hell yeah Sissy
S.Actress: can't remember which movie Mirren was in.

Picture: agree VERY strongly
Actor: TOUGH one
Actress: thought that was kinda tough too

Agree.

Actor: Hell YEAH
Actress: would have to disagree imo...for reasons mentioned before
S.Actor: Oh so many comments but...no worries smile
S.Actress: Agreed. Oscar's seem to constantly have a boner for Blanchett. She's good, but c'mon...

God that's a toughie for me...

Yeah..Mark

That wasn't for 'Juno' was it? If so, then f yeah.

Quiero Mota...man, I don't think just saying '...something is given something it doesn't deserve...' about 'The Godfather' is much reasoning. Let's really talk about this, if you wish! smile

bakerboy

Agree.

S. Actor: Ian McKellen instead of Jim Broadbent (but I'm not disappointed about it)
S. Actress: Helen Mirren instead of Jennifer Connelly

Agree, but Maggie Smith could have won too in the same deserving that Mirren, both were fantastic in godsford park.

Picture: Lord of the Rings: TT instead of Chicago
Actor: Maybe Daniel Day-Lewis instead of Adrian Brody, but they were both deserving.
Actress: Julianne Moore instead of Nicole Kidman

Agree but i think that chicago deserved it and kidman too.

Actor: Johnny Depp instead of Sean Penn
Desagree, penn was better.

Picture: The Aviator instead of Million Dollar Baby
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio or Don Cheadle instead of Jamie Foxx
Actress: Kate Winslet instead of Hilary Swank
S. Actor: Jamie Foxx gave the best performance out of the nominees, but since his performance was actually a lead instead of supporting, I'll go with Clive Owen instead of Morgan Freeman.
S. Actress: Natalie Portman instead of Cate Blanchett
Desagree, morgan was deserving, cate was deserving and hillary was deserving.

Picture: Good Night, and Good Luck instead of Crash
agree.

S. Actor: Eddie Murphy instead of Alan Arkin, although my favorite performance was from Mark Wahlberg
Desagree, arkin was slightily better than murphy.

Actress: Ellen Page instead of Marion Cotillard

Totally desagree in the last one. Julie Christie deserved more than both cotillard and page.

By the way, the godfather is not overrated, is pure and simple a masterpiece.

celestialdemon
Agree on all.

I thought Beautiful Mind was phenomenal, in everyway. Would have to disagree imo.
Actor: can't remember the movies
Actress: If that was the 'Monster's Ball' crap year, then hell yeah Sissy
S.Actress: can't remember which movie Mirren was in.

Tom Wilkinson was in In the Bedroom. Denzel Washington was in Training Day.

Halle Berry was in Monster's Ball. Sissy Spacek was in In the Bedroom.

Helen Mirren was in Gosford Park.

That wasn't for 'Juno' was it? If so, then f yeah.

Yep. That was Juno.

bakerboy
I found Juno pretty overrated and Ellen Page's performance the same. Marion Cotillard was great but sometimes she overacted pretty bad, and she didnt her own singing. But the most complex, intelligent, subtle and moving performance was made by Julie Christie in away from her, she was the best in the bunch.

Yeah, mirren was nominated for godsford park, she and smith deserved it more than conelly. Same with sisi spaceck over halle berry.

Morning_Glory
I always thought Ellen Burstyn should have gotten the oscar for Requiem for a Dream - but Julia Roberts was given the award that yr for Erin B.

she just wanted to be on television.

no expression

moviebuff1084

"Overrated" doesn't mean bad. It means that something is given credit it doesn't deserve. I think The Godfather is a good movie, but the fact that it consistently makes top five lists is due to a bandwagon mentality.

Godfather was a classic as its not in my top 5 list i don't think its overrated.

I found Juno pretty overrated and Ellen Page's performance the same. Marion Cotillard was great but sometimes she overacted pretty bad, and she didnt her own singing.

I fully agree.

chillmeistergen
I thought Juno was brilliant.

moviebuff1084
Juno was really good don't get me wrong i just did not think it was Oscar worthy.

chillmeistergen
I think it deserved its Oscar for best screenplay.

moviebuff1084
Well yeah maybe i can't remember what it was up against. But it was up for best picture and that i did not think it deserved.

chillmeistergen
No Country For Old Men won that, which was well deserved. I think Juno deserved the nomination, though.

gryphon28

Use your ears fox did sang in the movie and Walk the line ain't that great

chillmeistergen
Neither of them are that great, but Walk The Line is definitely better.

SnakeEyes

In the Bedroom and Fellowship of the Ring are far superior. But to each his own.

And for the record, I thought Juno sucked. Not worthy of any nominations.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
In the Bedroom and Fellowship of the Ring are far superior. But to each his own.

And for the record, I thought Juno sucked. Not worthy of any nominations.

Oooo, that's some big words, right there. I thought it was excellent, particularly the way it was written. I also think that Ellen Page is a fantastic, versatile actress and was brilliant in Juno.

We seem to share film tastes a lot, up until this bombshell. But anyway, I understand how it's not a film for everyone, but I thought it was great.

SnakeEyes
Oooo, that's some big words, right there. I thought it was excellent, particularly the way it was written. I also think that Ellen Page is a fantastic, versatile actress and was brilliant in Juno.

We seem to share film tastes a lot, up until this bombshell. But anyway, I understand how it's not a film for everyone, but I thought it was great.

Big words, I know, but I can't help it. See for me, the way it was written is what bothered me. I thought Ellen Page did a sufficient job, but I wasn't impressed.

BackFire pretty much describes why I didn't like Juno in this thread (page 3): http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=481904&pagenumber=4

And yeah we seem to have pretty similar taste in film. I suppose this "bombshell" is just one of our differences.

chillmeistergen
Not to worry mate, it happens - different tastes and all that.

moviebuff1084
No Country For Old Men won that, which was well deserved. I think Juno deserved the nomination, though.

No Country For Old Men totally deserved that. That movie was amazing.

agphoenix
I thought Juno was brilliant.
Agree

Agree

Haven't watch 'In the Bedroom' so I suppose I can't really say, but I though Denzel was great. Almost scared my pants off.
Halle Berry abd 'Monster's Ball'.....WHAT were they thinking?

Thanks for the info though.

THANK YOU! smile

Not QUITE sure what you're saying, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but go check a few posts back about the Audio Engineering about the singing.

bakerboy
Juno was an ok comedy, a well made comedy with some intelligent and funny lines, but it wasnst oscar material in any way. And Ellen Page was good playing juno, but nothing impressive and not deserving of an oscar nomination there. She was annoying at some points of the movie. If we take a look of the nominated people this year: Ellen Page, Julie Christie, Cate Blanchett, Laura Linney and the winner marion cotillard, one of them didnt deserved the nomination( page), one was pretty good but overrated(cotillard), one deserved the nomination and not the win( blanchett) and Julie Christie and Laura Linney were the ones who deserved the oscar in this order, but they were in little independent films that only a few people watched.

This category was just the opposite of the best actor category, that was totally clear and closed from the first time about the winner: Daniel Day-Lewis in a bigger than life performance.

bakerboy
Juno won best original screenplay, do you know who deserved it more in the same category??? Ratatouille, the animated pixar movie. A brillaint screenplay.

chillmeistergen
Hahahahaha, your opinion's lost pretty much all credibility with me after that.

bakerboy
Why??? The screenplays of the pixar movies are wonderful.

chillmeistergen
They're okay, don't get me wrong, I just don't think they're Oscar worthy.

I'm hoping Wall E will win an Oscar for something, though.

celestialdemon
They're okay, don't get me wrong, I just don't think they're Oscar worthy.

I'm hoping Wall E will win an Oscar for something, though.

It should. That movie was great, even with virtually no dialogue.

gryphon28
Neither of them are that great, but Walk The Line is definitely better. laughing

celestialdemon
My preference for the '90s. Feel free to disagree.

Picture: I was okay with Dances With Wolves, but Goodfellas was worthy of winning also.
S. Actress: Lorraine Bracco instead of Whoopi Goldberg

S. Actress: Juliette Lewis instead of Mercedes Ruehl

Actor: Denzel Washington instead of Al Pacino
S. Actress: Miranda Richardson instead of Marisa Tomei

Actress: Angela Bassett instead of Holly Hunter
S. Actor: Maybe Ralph Fiennes instead of Tommy Lee Jones, but I was fine with the way it turned out.
S. Actress: Emma Thompson instead of Anna Paquin

S. Actor: Maybe Samuel L. Jackson instead of Martin Landau

Actor: Sean Penn instead of Nicolas Cage
S. Actress: Joan Allen instead of Mira Sorvino

Picture: Fargo instead of The English Patient
Actor: Geoffrey Rush was good but I would have liked to see Woody Harrelson get it.

Picture: L.A. Confidential instead of Titanic
S. Actress: Julianne Moore instead of Kim Basinger

Picture: Saving Private Ryan instead of Shakespeare in Love
Actor: Ian McKellen instead of Roberto Benigni
Actress: Cate Blanchett instead of Gwyneth Paltrow
S. Actor: Ed Harris instead of James Coburn
S. Actress: Kathy Bates instead of Judy Dench

Actress: Annette Bening instead of Hilary Swank
S. Actor: Michael Caine was good, but I would have preferred Tom Cruise

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.