Fourth Wall

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nihilist
who has the greatest fourth wall feats?

lets compare.

Galan007
mxy
impossible man
she-hulk

Harbinger
mxy

Nihilist
Originally posted by Galan007
mxy
impossible man
she-hulk

what about doom holding stan lee hostage?

Symmetric Chaos
Myx has come into the real world and breaks the 4th wall by frequently referencing the reader.

Galactus once kidnapped StanLee.

AnimalMan spoke with his author and has seen the readers.

In SevenSoldiers Zatanna controlled the panels of her comic and at one point saw "millions of eyes of every color" watching her.

Deadpool has read things other characters say in order to correct their spelling or specify an exact sound. He also frequently addresses the reader.

celestialdemon
Galactus called up Stan Lee to show him how unbearable it was to listen to Surfer's preaching all the time. laughing

AlmightyKfish
Deadpool stormed the marvel offices demanding stuff about Civil War, and then why he wasn't in the New Avengers.

Deadpool also has spoken his sound effects, see's in thought boxes. Among other things.

Mxy has travelled to the real world and met the Supreme Being in the form o' a writer.

Endless Mike
Lobo beat up his own writer and then wrote his comic himself

occultdestroyer
Joker consistently talks to the readers, similar to Deadpool albeit more often

fangirl101
mxy reads the comics that he's in and talks about it. Also creates comics ( ala kirby avatar) and is the god of said realities. Can perform a retcon, something only a writer or editor can do. his fourth wall feats are impressive beyond any others.

Juntai
Animal Man should be considered.

Mxy is probably tops though.

The Great Galen
Mxy, hes a avatar of the wtiters it seems.

Nihilist
Originally posted by Nihilist
what about doom holding stan lee hostage?
essentially holding toaa hostage is prolly one the top feats

darthgoober
She Hulk takes this IMO...

fangirl101
Originally posted by darthgoober
She Hulk takes this IMO...
mxy owns sets of comics. That are realities of his control. He's the freaking writer, artist, etc.

darthgoober
Originally posted by fangirl101
mxy owns sets of comics. That are realities of his control. He's the freaking writer, artist, etc.
She Hulk's ripped up the page she was on to take out the villain, walked across the page to get from one panel to another, and nearly climbed OUT of the comic to attack Byrne until she was stopped(she complied when she realized that it was a finished comic so she'd end up in the reader's house rather than Byrne's workspace).

Mxy may be more powerful overall, but She Hulk's 4th wall feats are second to none.

Symmetric Chaos
She Hulk's ripped up the page she was on to take out the villain, walked across the page to get from one panel to another, and nearly climbed OUT of the comic to attack Byrne until she was stopped(she complied when she realized that it was a finished comic so she'd end up in the reader's house rather than Byrne's workspace).

Mxy may be more powerful overall, but She Hulk's 4th wall feats are second to none.

Zatanna virtually took control of SevenSoldiers several times. She made references to the "Golden Age" a few times as well.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Zatanna virtually took control of SevenSoldiers several times. She made references to the "Golden Age" a few times as well.
Took control how?

Cavalier
She Hulk's ripped up the page she was on to take out the villain, walked across the page to get from one panel to another, and nearly climbed OUT of the comic to attack Byrne until she was stopped(she complied when she realized that it was a finished comic so she'd end up in the reader's house rather than Byrne's workspace). Animal Man has pulled a character out of his panel and into the nothingness.

He's read his own comic.

He had an entire issue dedicated to him talking with Grant Morrison- focussed on things like how Grant controls their whole lives on whims.

He's seen the readers, and has met up with his pre-crisis self, and expressed his horror over the crisis.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Cavalier
Animal Man has pulled a character out of his panel and into the nothingness.

He's read his own comic.

He had an entire issue dedicated to him talking with Grant Morrison- focussed on things like how Grant controls their whole lives on whims.

He's seen the readers, and has met up with his pre-crisis self, and expressed his horror over the crisis.
I'd have to reread the Sensational She Hulk series to be positive, but I can all but guarantee that She Hulk's preformed feats that are right on par with all of those. I'm not gonna do it because I'm not a big enough fan of hers to read the series just for the sake of this thread, but I'd bet that someone more familiar with her could go feat for feat with just about any forth wall breaking character...

Symmetric Chaos
Took control how?

Magic sort of gets represented as being able to break the 4th wall through all of SevenSoldiers. In the battle against Zor they climb between panels, tear them apart and squash them. Most notably her spell is what causes the team to come together in the final issue. In the casting she turns Tarot cards into the covers of various issues in order to represent the Soldiers.

Cavalier
Animal Man's talk with Morrison trumps almost all (but not all) 4th wall breaking feats.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Magic sort of gets represented as being able to break the 4th wall through all of SevenSoldiers. In the battle against Zor they climb between panels, tear them apart and squash them. Most notably her spell is what causes the team to come together in the final issue. In the casting she turns Tarot cards into the covers of various issues in order to represent the Soldiers.
She Hulk lacks magic so I can't really think of anything like the covers thing, but climbing between panels is something that she's done(walked across an entire page in fact), and personally I'd consider her destroying the entire page she was on as more impressive than destroying a few panels.

Animal Man's talk with Morrison trumps almost all (but not all) 4th wall breaking feats.
They've never devoted an entire issue to it to my knowledge, but She Hulk's had more 4th wall breaking conversations with her writers and artist than you can shake a stick at.

And how would it be more impressive than things like the time that Doom held his writers and artist hostage and actually made them change the plot of the comic in progress? I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong in your assessment or anything because I'm not familiar with the instance in question. I'm just asking what it was that made the conversation so special.

Cavalier
And how would it be more impressive than things like the time that Doom held his writers and artist hostage and actually made them change the plot of the comic in progress? I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong in your assessment or anything because I'm not familiar with the instance in question. I'm just asking what it was that made the conversation so special. It's because he comes to completely understand what it means to be a comic book character... he explores the futility of trying to attack Morrison, and the idea of Morrison controlling everything he says and does, and how he can be made to act completely out of character.

Characters can be shown threatening their writers and so forth, but we know it's not real and that they could never really carry through with their threats.

But Buddy was one of the only ones to realize this.

There's more, but... the point is that he realizes the perspective of a reader reading something completely fictional, where as all the other characters that "break the 4th wall" still act (for the most part) as if they're in the story, and talking to the writer is just part of that.

You should read it... it's surreal stuff.

Galan007
^

so does mxy. don't try to make it all philosophical. 131

Mr Master

It's because he comes to completely understand what it means to be a comic book character... he explores the futility of trying to attack Morrison, and the idea of Morrison controlling everything he says and does, and how he can be made to act completely out of character.

Characters can be shown threatening their writers and so forth, but we know it's not real and that they could never really carry through with their threats.

But Buddy was one of the only ones to realize this.

There's more, but... the point is that he realizes the perspective of a reader reading something completely fictional, where as all the other characters that "break the 4th wall" still act (for the most part) as if they're in the story, and talking to the writer is just part of that.

You should read it... it's surreal stuff.
I read Animal #26, it's a wonderful book,
and definitely one of the most detailed expressions
of what God should and indeed is in comics.

But She-Hulk had a 60 issue run, and she broke the 4th wall across 54 of them,
I know cause I have the collection.

It was downright hilarious.

The insane part is, It's part of She-Hulk's skill-set (in 2008 Bios)
to sense the readers looking at her.

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759598_Sh5.jpg

Also, She-Hulk definitely knows she's in a stupid comic book, (so does Juggs)
she also knows that Writers control her life (scans below)
and she also knows about the 4th Wall, which she literally mentions here:

(this is She-Hulk beyond the 4th Wall, beating up her Writers ... in 2008)

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759599_Sh1.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759600_Sh2.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759601_Sh3.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759604_Sh4.jpg

Cavalier
Originally posted by Galan007
^

so does mxy. don't try to make it all philosophical. 131 I never said Buddy was the only one.

But honestly (and I'm not necessarily referring to Mxy here), if a character is ever written to "beat up the writers", or kidnap them, or whatever, they're not breaking the 4th wall... they're just dealing with new characters in their world. Not addressing our world.

Red Hulk
I never said Buddy was the only one.

But honestly (and I'm not necessarily referring to Mxy here), if a character is ever written to "beat up the writers", or kidnap them, or whatever, they're not breaking the 4th wall... they're just dealing with new characters in their world. Not addressing our world. Doesn't that same logic work for writers appearing in comics?

Cavalier
Originally posted by Red Hulk
Doesn't that same logic work for writers appearing in comics? Only if the characters are shown to be able to physically affect the "writers".

Morrison says something to Buddy, along the lines of "You can never enter my world. Not really. But I can enter yours whenever I please".

vansonbee
Originally posted by Mr Master
I read Animal #26, it's a wonderful book,
and definitely one of the most detailed expressions
of what God should and indeed is in comics.

But She-Hulk had a 60 issue run, and she broke the 4th wall across 54 of them,
I know cause I have the collection.

It was downright hilarious.

The insane part is, It's part of She-Hulk's skill-set (in 2008 Bios)
to sense the readers looking at her.

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759598_Sh5.jpg

Also, She-Hulk definitely knows she's in a stupid comic book, (so does Juggs)
she also knows that Writers control her life (scans below)
and she also knows about the 4th Wall, which she literally mentions here:

(this is She-Hulk beyond the 4th Wall, beating up her Writers ... in 2008)

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759599_Sh1.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759600_Sh2.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759601_Sh3.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/759604_Sh4.jpg Your the best smile Jugg has soft side!

Red Hulk
Only if the characters are shown to be able to physically affect the "writers".

Morrison says something to Buddy, along the lines of "You can never enter my world. Not really. But I can enter yours whenever I please". But wouldn't it still be a comic character talking about a supreme world?

If a comic character beats up a writer, then they're still addressing the fact that someone else writes them.

Fact is, a writer can never appear in a comic. Only the representation of a writer can appear in a comic, and that's what is what gets beat up by comic characters, and that's what talks to comic characters. Hell, even Animal Man killed a writer... the problem is that Morrison chose to show Animal Man that was impossible... other writers didn't.

Anyway... a lot of the 4th wall feats irritate me unless well done.
The only 4th wall feats any comic character has is knowing that they're in a comic realistically.

Blarg!

Cavalier
Fact is, a writer can never appear in a comic. Only the representation of a writer can appear in a comic, and that's what is what gets beat up by comic characters, and that's what talks to comic characters.
Fair enough.

I guess a more apt response would be to say that it's never a character breaking a fourth wall if it gives the illusion of them coming out of a comic book, of them affecting the writing of the comic book, and of them affecting the real world while they believe it the whole time.

Whenever a character truly believes they hold any power over the real world... that's not 4th wall breaking, because that's not really realizing that they're characters.

IMO.

Red Hulk
Fair enough.

I guess a more apt response would be to say that it's never a character breaking a fourth wall if it gives the illusion of them coming out of a comic book, of them affecting the writing of the comic book, and of them affecting the real world while they believe it the whole time.

Whenever a character truly believes they hold any power over the real world... that's not 4th wall breaking, because that's not really realizing that they're characters.

IMO. I see any response to 'another world' as 4th wall breaking.

To me, they don't have to know they're characters, they just have to know that they are being watched, and understand that people 'watch' them.

And obviously things like Mxy punching writers in the faces, and She-Hulk ripping pages never happened, but it's still basic understanding of what 'they're' doing, although it may make no sense. Morrison just explains what actually happens, but it doesn't rule out any other things as '4th wall breaking' IMO.

Basically, there's good writing, and there's bad writing of it, but all of it counts as 4th wall breaking... I think anyway...

What's worse for me is when these things get attributed as feats for the characters...

occultdestroyer
Greatest fourth wall feats.
Definitely Mxy.

Cavalier
Basically, there's good writing, and there's bad writing of it, but all of it counts as 4th wall breaking... I think anyway...Meh... I guess that goes back to what's a superior "feat" of 4th wall breaking... I would put realizing the futility of being a comic book character far above most Shulkie feats.

What's worse for me is when these things get attributed as feats for the characters... Amen to that.

"Impossible Man turns into Marvel's editor!"
"She Hulk rips his page out!"

Ugh.

Red Hulk
Meh... I guess that goes back to what's a superior "feat" of 4th wall breaking... I would put realizing the futility of being a comic book character far above most Shulkie feats.

Amen to that.

"Impossible Man turns into Marvel's editor!"
"She Hulk rips his page out!"

Ugh. That makes sense. He knows he can't actually do anything, and that in itself is the best understanding of it as you can get.
Besides, a lot of people could do these types of concentrated feats easily... the only difference is that the feats being hyped up are 4th wall relevant feats. Lifting basically pictures (panels)? Ripping paper? Beating up humans? Not impressive in the least.

Ya. It's only funny when it's applied to another 4th wall person... other than that, it's nothing but hyped up junk.

Anyway, bed.

Cavalier
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.