What's with games going to different consoles while their tags say "Only on"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
I don't get it. Why is it that games like Dead Rising or Bioshock are moving to different consoles while the tags on their boxart say "Only on Xbox 360"? It seems a bit of whack if you ask me and I think those guys shouldn't place that tag on the boxart at all. Dead Rising moves to Wii, Bioshock moves to the PS3. Now I wouldn't be suprised if the rumors about Gears of War coming PS3 are true.

What are your opinions about this?

Morridini
The people who designed the cover couldn't see into the future perhaps?

Peach
What a stupid question.

It's because when the game was first made, it was exclusive to just that one system. Not the designer's fault that a year or more later it was decided to port the game over to another system.

Come on, think once in a while before making threads...

Blax_Hydralisk
Bioshock isn't an Xbox exclusive anymore?

Peach
No, it's coming out on the PS3 at...some point in the future.

Nemesis X
I think it's coming out in October.

Nemesis X
I don't really have a problem with games moving to different systems, I'm just wondering why they moved them when they say it's only for that one console.

I do hope Left 4 Dead comes to the PS3 like rumors say.

Peach
They moved them despite what the cover art said because a stamp on a box that says "Only on 360" is not legally binding. And, really, the games WERE only available on that one system for a long time.

It's...not difficult.

jaden101
they can get around it by putting content specific to a console...for example having different unlockable characters...

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I don't really have a problem with games moving to different systems, I'm just wondering why they moved them when they say it's only for that one console.

I do hope Left 4 Dead comes to the PS3 like rumors say.

theres a 50-50 chance Left 4 Dead will come to PS3, there was a recent article stating, Valve has decided to re evaluate their stance towards PS3, now that PS3 is selling. haha

Impediment
Just look at what happened with Resident Evil 4. It was, at first, exclusively for Gamecube. The producers said that it would, most definitely, stay that way. Then a PS2 port was released, then, after that, a Wii port was released.

The "Exclusivity" tag is a joke, if you ask me.

xNIXSONx
id say, if it was published by nintendo, sony or microsoft, than that particular game may not make an apperance on another system

Bioshock was developed by parts of 2K and was published by 2K, Dead Rising by Capcom, same with Resident Evil 4, so i dont think there was an legal thing that binds these games to whichever console they only appeared on at that time

If Infinite Undiscovery doesnt do to well (cuz Japan doesnt sell a lot of 360s), then i can see Square Enix porting a PS3 version to boost sales

as far as that Gears of War on PS3 rumoured form the topic starter, i believe MS only signed a two game deal, which leaves the 3rd game still open to any platform.

Mass Effect 2 - which is now being handled by EA instead of MS, might makes its way to PS3 too.

the "Only On" exclusive title should only be applied to true exclusives/first-second party gamesm like Sony's God of War, Gran Turismo, 360's Halo, Fable, Nintendo's Mario, Metroid, etc.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Peach
No, it's coming out on the PS3 at...some point in the future.

with a survivor mode and some other things, although the survivor mode sounds pointless.

But yeah it's because at that point in time it was only on a Microsoft or Sony system, i don't think the designers knew it would go to PS3 or Wii or whatever console it may be.

Smasandian
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
theres a 50-50 chance Left 4 Dead will come to PS3, there was a recent article stating, Valve has decided to re evaluate their stance towards PS3, now that PS3 is selling. haha

Yeah, it wont be Valve doing the port, it will probably be the same EA that did Orange Box.

ragesRemorse
I don't get it. Why is it that games like Dead Rising or Bioshock are moving to different consoles while the tags on their boxart say "Only on Xbox 360"? It seems a bit of whack if you ask me and I think those guys shouldn't place that tag on the boxart at all. Dead Rising moves to Wii, Bioshock moves to the PS3. Now I wouldn't be suprised if the rumors about Gears of War coming PS3 are true.

What are your opinions about this?

Dead rising is as old as the xbox 360 is. What do you expect Microsoft to do, recall all copies of dead rising and Bioshock so that they can change the covers? At one point and even still, those games were exclusive to the 360. I really do not see the problem here.

Kazenji
There were rumors that dead rising was gonna be on the PS3 this was of course before the game came out and of course that stayed an exclusive for the 360.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Kazenji
There were rumors that dead rising was gonna be on the PS3 this was of course before the game came out and of course that stayed an exclusive for the 360.

people behind Dead Rising, that decided to bring it to Wii were asked if we'll see Dead Rising on PS3, and that rep said "this isnt the last you'll see of Dead Rising" so that has led people to believe a PS3 version may come. hopefully optmized for the system, since they did it for the wii (as gimped as it now is)

ESB -1138
people behind Dead Rising, that decided to bring it to Wii were asked if we'll see Dead Rising on PS3, and that rep said "this isnt the last you'll see of Dead Rising" so that has led people to believe a PS3 version may come. hopefully optmized for the system, since they did it for the wii (as gimped as it now is)

Or it could mean a sequel.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Or it could mean a sequel.

it could, although most people like Kotaku or other gaming sites rather believe itll be a PS3 version, since it's not ruled out, but yeah, there was talk of a sequel too, that takes place in Vegas supposedly

BackFire
They're called timed exclusives. Not a new thing at all.

Neo Darkhalen
I heard about DR in Vegas, seems a bit of a strange place to set it though.

Dark-Jaxx
What a stupid question.

Come on, think once in a while before making threads... I agree with both of these points whole-heartedly.

Nemesis X
I don't care if do think my question's are stupid. I don't really have a friggin problem about games being moved to other consoles. I just keep wondering why they moved when they were only for the 360. Sheesh!

Also I think having a Dead Rising 2 set in Vegas really ain't that bad of an idea. The zombies-in-mall routine is startin to get old really fast.

Peach
"I just keep wondering why they moved when they were only for the 360."

Because the developers decided to later port them to another system. It's really just as simple as that. It is not rocket science.

Dark-Jaxx
Yeah, it's for the effort to make more money. Dur.

<-@ST->
For the most part, if a game isnt made by Nintendo or by SCEA, there is a good chance it will be ported eventually. You just miss out on too much money being exclusive. I didnt say Microsoft because they usually buy people to make their games, and lately they have all been leaving, so who knows.

xNIXSONx
360 losing some of their exclusives eh?

Yesterday, Lost Planet, Enchanted Arms

Today, Bioshock, Last Remnant, Eternal Sonata, Overlord, Saints Row, Vampire Rain, Dead Rising?

Tomorrow...Gears? Mass Effect? Left 4 Dead? Star Ocean?

Peach

Today, Bioshock, Last Remnant, Eternal Sonata, Overlord, Saints Row, Vampire Rain, Dead Rising?

Last Remnant was never exclusive.

And there is a large difference between 'losing' an exclusive so that it is launched on multiple systems at once, and a game being exclusive for a long time before being ported to another system.

<-@ST->

Except for Gears, I could see the others jumping. Mass Effect 2 will be EA, they wont pass up extra money, but they might do a timed exclusive. If Left 4 Dead jumps, it will probably at EA's request, after which it will be given to inferior developers to port it to PS3, hopefully better than Orange Box, which I heard had problems.

General Kaliero
Mass Effect isn't exclusive, and Bioshock never was. Mass Effect later released for PC, and Bioshock had a PC version from the start.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Mass Effect isn't exclusive, and Bioshock never was. Mass Effect later released for PC, and Bioshock had a PC version from the start.

According to those "Only On 360" that would imply that they are exclusive. So technically speaking, that would mean you are wrong

and from what you're saying, that the 360 with a PC counterpart game, either with a simultaneous release or one shortly after, such as Mass Effect and half of Microsoft's "exclusive" games, are infact not true exclusives? is that what you are saying?

General Kaliero
Haven't you used PC releases to claim games were not exclusive before? Pick a thread of logic and stick with it, instead of choosing whatever happens to be opposite me.

You'll be a lot more credible that way, you know.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Haven't you used PC releases to claim games were not exclusive before? Pick a thread of logic and stick with it, instead of choosing whatever happens to be opposite me.

You'll be a lot more credible that way, you know.

yes i expressed my perspective on PC/360 releases, and i percieve them as not true exclusives and that PCs are not consoles like wii/360/ps3

i was just seeing if you agreed with me or not, other people may consider PC/360 releases exclusive, while others do not

Nemesis X
Yeah PC is not a console.

They better put Gears on the PS3 and I hope they put some of the levels from the PC version into it. I do have a 360 but I keep wondering if the PS3 version will have better graphics.

<-@ST->
I dont think Gears will ever move from 360/PC, Microsoft, unlike Sony has no problem paying for exclusives. With future Halo games up in the air, they are gonna lock down the Gears franchise.

Peach
And if we want to get technical about it...the majority of PC games are for Windows. Windows is owned by - who else? Microsoft. Hence games on both 360 and PC are technically still Microsoft exclusive.

And at any rate, PC generally is not included in considering if something is exclusive or not.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by &lt;-@ST-&gt;
they are gonna lock down the Gears franchise.

Words coming from a Gears hater.

Dark-Jaxx
Which reminds me, why the hell is MGS4 a PS3 exclusive? That's bullshit.

Nemesis X
Kojima just loves to piss 360 gamers off and he's mostly on the Sony side and they're at war with Microsoft.

xNIXSONx
Yeah PC is not a console.

They better put Gears on the PS3 and I hope they put some of the levels from the PC version into it. I do have a 360 but I keep wondering if the PS3 version will have better graphics.

no developer will ever take advantage of PS3 hardware for any multiplatform game. IGN thought Bioshock had better graphics for the PS3 version, but the developers stated its the same, they aimed to make it the same, and the extra content is DLC. So they didnt even take advantage of the extra storage space either...

and Dark-Jaxx: Kojima stated that the critical success of Metal Gear was related to the Sony Playstation name, so he felt that it was only necessary to keep it exclusive, although yes he wouldve made more money multiplatform

<-@ST->
Words coming from a Gears hater.

Huh?

NonSensi-Klown
Just let it go, Ast.

<-@ST->
Damn, I had a whole speech ready. stick out tongue

Dark-Jaxx
Well Kojima can do screw itself. Now I have to buy a friggin PS3 just so I can play MGS4.

Nemesis X
Dark-Jaxx, there are games on the 360 that are better than MGS4.

Neo Darkhalen
Dark-Jaxx, there are games on the 360 that are better than MGS4.

MGS4 is the only good thing going for the PS3, Little Big Planet will be another one.....but thats about it.

Nemesis X
I believe that Gears of War 2 will beat the pants off of MGS4 so keep talkin about your nonsense as long as you want. Nobody gives a crap.

Neo Darkhalen
yeah...umm i don't own a PS3.....but MGS4 is a great game no matter how you look at it, it's the only thing worth buying a PS3 for, that you can be sure of right now, Little Big Planet will be another.

<-@ST->
I believe that Gears of War 2 will beat the pants off of MGS4 so keep talkin about your nonsense as long as you want. Nobody gives a crap.

You are an angry little man. ermm

Nemesis X
You're all Gears haters. Every last one of you!

Neo Darkhalen
ermm K?

Dark-Jaxx
You're all Gears haters. Every last one of you! And you are an idiot and a loser.

Burning thought
yeh Jaxx would know all about them

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
And you are an idiot and a loser.

Getting name called from gays really has no effect on me. Loser.

Dark-Jaxx
Getting name called from gays really has no effect on me. Loser. First of all, I'm bisexual, not gay.

Second of all, maybe if you didn't make such stupid and annoying threads and posts, people would like you?

<-@ST->
Who says "gays"? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nemesis X
You're calling me stupid? You have difficulty choosing between a man and a woman.

Peach
Knock it off right now. Nemesis X, those are very stupid comments to make, considering who your mod is here. I will not tolerate comments like that.

Dark-Jaxx
You're calling me stupid? You have difficulty choosing between a man and a woman. No difficulty at all mate. I acknowledge that though I like both, I still prefer women, and could probably never actually love a boy like I could a girl, so no, there is no difficulty.

Peach
DJ, don't bait him, okay?

General Kaliero
You're calling me stupid? You have difficulty choosing between a man and a woman.
Very good way to get on the bad side of both mods here. I suggest you stop now.

Dark-Jaxx
DJ, don't bait him, okay? Okay...

But only cause you asked nicely. 131

EvilTyrant
Anyone remember the early screenshots ppl found of Bioshock also being on PS3? Well it might of been true, a developer had an interview about the Microsoft timed exclusive deal they had. He said that they wasn't allowed to mention anything about a PS3 version. So it was kept secret. So once that timed exclusive contract expired they were able to bring it too PS3. BTW, if you think MGS4 is the only great game on PS3 then your blind, I could say the same thing about Gears of War.

Neo Darkhalen
Yeah i don't like GoW but i know that the only good exclusive game for the PS3 is MGS4, compered to the Xbox that actually has more then one good game on it.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Yeah i don't like GoW but i know that the only good exclusive game for the PS3 is MGS4, compered to the Xbox that actually has more then one good game on it.

PS3 has more than one good game. What does the 360 have? Mass Effect is also on PC, so is Gears, half its games are also on PC, when you strip all those games out, the only things that are left is Viva Pinta, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero and Ninja Gaiden? Infinite Undiscovery also had average reviews, same with Too Human, just cuz there's "more" doesn't mean theyre all great, none of them can touch MGS4, and MGS is not overhyped either, cuz i went into playing that game with no hype and no knowledge of how good the series was prior to mgs4

after Gears 2, 360 is sorta fcked, they leveraged all of their big assets in 2007-08. They got nothing left, blew their load in the supposed "greatest holiday lineup in entertainment history"

Nemesis X
Neo, MGS4 is an awesome game but it's not the only greatest thing on the PS3. When Bioshock and Gears of War come to the PS3, play them and try to tell me again that MGS4 is the only greatest.

Peach
PS3 has more than one good game. What does the 360 have? Mass Effect is also on PC, so is Gears, half its games are also on PC, when you strip all those games out, the only things that are left is Viva Pinta, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero and Ninja Gaiden? Infinite Undiscovery also had average reviews, same with Too Human, just cuz there's "more" doesn't mean theyre all great, none of them can touch MGS4, and MGS is not overhyped either, cuz i went into playing that game with no hype and no knowledge of how good the series was prior to mgs4

after Gears 2, 360 is sorta fcked, they leveraged all of their big assets in 2007-08. They got nothing left, blew their load in the supposed "greatest holiday lineup in entertainment history"

Make up your mind if PC counts or not, will you?

And you know so well what Microsoft's got planned after this year, yeah? No chance that they've managed to keep things secret, of course, someone on the internet says they have nothing left.

Neo, MGS4 is an awesome game but it's not the only greatest thing on the PS3. When Bioshock and Gears of War come to the PS3, play them and try to tell me again that MGS4 is the only greatest.

He said 'exclusive'. Those don't count.

Nemesis X
He said 'exclusive'. Those don't count.

Okay then. Neo, when Resistance 2 comes out, try to tell me again that MGS4 is the only greatest thing on PS3.

Neo Darkhalen
Umm okay, it's not out yet so that doesn't count either, MGS4 is, hence the only good game on PS3, all the others are multi platform or came out on the 360 first.

Which means the PS3 has to take games from another console to make it's self profitable.

I also would not use Resistance as a posative for the console, little big planet yes, resistance no.

Outbound

Fable 2.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Outbound
Fable 2.

God, I can't wait for Fable.

Outbound
Originally posted by Bardock42
God, I can't wait for Fable.

I thought you were getting a PS3?

Bardock42
I thought you were getting a PS3?

Yeah, I did. But Sarah has an X-Box, and I damn well play Fable on it or it's over.

Outbound
Yeah, I did. But Sarah has an X-Box, and I damn well play Fable on it or it's over.

laughing out loud

Nemesis X
I'm probably gonna get a bunch of people yelling "WTF" at me so I'm just going to ask anyways. What's Fable?

Peach
Okay then. Neo, when Resistance 2 comes out, try to tell me again that MGS4 is the only greatest thing on PS3.

Personally I wouldn't say MGS4 is that great!

And I don't know anyone who's actually played Resistance that has said it was anything more than average. The only big deal about it is that the first was the only semi-decent game when the system launched, and the second is going to have huge multiplayer matches.

Bardock42
I think MGS4 is pretty ****ing awesome. I guess som people mighgt be annoyed with the one hour cutscenes, but the game itself is pretty neat.

Outbound
I'm probably gonna get a bunch of people yelling "WTF" at me so I'm just going to ask anyways. What's Fable?

Xbox game, pretty short, major hype with massive letdown. Fable 2 is basically all the things that were promised but cut from Fable. But with next gen goodness.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/objects/741/741361.html

Bardock42
Xbox game, pretty short, major hype with massive letdown. Fable 2 is basically all the things that were promised but cut from Fable. But with next gen goodness.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/objects/741/741361.html
Fable was still pretty sweet.

Peach
I think MGS4 is pretty ****ing awesome. I guess som people mighgt be annoyed with the one hour cutscenes, but the game itself is pretty neat.

I've never been anything but bored by MGS. Cutscenes don't bother me. Just the game itself I've never liked.

Bardock42
I've never been anything but bored by MGS. Cutscenes don't bother me. Just the game itself I've never liked. Fair enough, stealth games aren't for everybody. Personally I thought they weren't for me after playing Splinter Cell and wanting to die...but MGS4 did kinda change my mind.

Outbound
Fable was still pretty sweet.

Yeah, I guess "massive letdown" was probably a bit extreme, but there were a lot of unfinished, redundant plot bits/side quests....like the Mayor of Bowerstone? (I think thats the one, the chick who you can marry or hit on or something) and you go find her dead sister in a haunted house. Once that mission ended, you couldnt actually do anything with it, the mayor didn't acknowledge that you took part in that quest or anything.

I liked slowing down time and zapping the crap out of everyone with lightning, that was fun.

Bardock42
Yeah, I guess "massive letdown" was probably a bit extreme, but there were a lot of unfinished, redundant plot bits/side quests....like the Mayor of Bowerstone? (I think thats the one, the chick who you can marry or hit on or something) and you go find her dead sister in a haunted house. Once that mission ended, you couldnt actually do anything with it, the mayor didn't acknowledge that you took part in that quest or anything.

I liked slowing down time and zapping the crap out of everyone with lightning, that was fun. I'm not exactly sure what you mean, I mean you could either marry her and hide that she killed her sister or let her face the law, which then would kill her. Either way, that quest was kinda done...was long enough anyways. Or do you mean that you couldn't marry her and also blackmail her at the same time?

Peach
Fair enough, stealth games aren't for everybody. Personally I thought they weren't for me after playing Splinter Cell and wanting to die...but MGS4 did kinda change my mind.

It's not even that it's stealth. It's just that there's something about the games that I don't like. I can see why other people like them (unlike Halo, where I really don't get the hype), I just personally find them massively overrated.

Bardock42
It's not even that it's stealth. It's just that there's something about the games that I don't like. I can see why other people like them (unlike Halo, where I really don't get the hype), I just personally find them massively overrated.

Fair enough, I don't actually understand why anyone likes Super Smash Bros Brawl, I guess that is similar.

Outbound
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, I mean you could either marry her and hide that she killed her sister or let her face the law, which then would kill her. Either way, that quest was kinda done...was long enough anyways. Or do you mean that you couldn't marry her and also blackmail her at the same time?

Hmm...I cant remember, havent played it for years haha. I might have finished the main quest or something before doing that side mission so it might not have actually mattered anymore. But yeah, they needed a few more open ended options.

Bardock42
Hmm...I cant remember, havent played it for years haha. I might have finished the main quest or something before doing that side mission so it might not have actually mattered anymore. But yeah, they needed a few more open ended options.

I agree that it shoul have been bigger, but I can't think of any comparable game at all, so I am happy with that.

Outbound
Also maybe randomizing loot stats, its no fun buying the best weapon in the game right after you win the Arena and become basically the richest person in the game.

Bardock42
Also maybe randomizing loot stats, its no fun buying the best weapon in the game right after you win the Arena and become basically the richest person in the game. Personally I had most of the best stuff already by then. That first minigame (memory I think), was just so easy that you just had to spend some time making millions.

Dark-Jaxx
Fable 1 was awesome. I have yet to play a game with as much replay value, the only game which came close was Final Fantasy Tactics.

On my second playthrough and onward, I aquired every item in the game.

<-@ST->
On topic, it looks like Sony is jumping on the "only on" bandwagon.....

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/245/R2_CE_BEAUTY_SKAFF1460_screen.jpg

...and also a PSN logo, just like Microsoft and Nintendo promote their online games. lol

Neo Darkhalen

...and also a PSN logo, just like Microsoft and Nintendo promote their online games. lol

it was only a matter of time.

xNIXSONx
atleast we know Resistance will never jump ship

Neo Darkhalen
I remember when the same thing was said about FFXIII.

xNIXSONx
I remember when the same thing was said about FFXIII.

Unlike FFXIII(published by Square Enix), Resistance is published by Sony, and developed by a close developer.

Neo Darkhalen
then you get your resistance, which is completely original in every way and in no way shape or form a copy of other games.

xNIXSONx
then you get your resistance, which is completely original in every way and in no way shape or form a copy of other games.

if the reviews are great, then i will. I mean who has ever heard of an alien invasion twist on WWII?? big grin

Neo Darkhalen
WWII - COD/MOH/practically every war time game
Aliens - Gears of War/halo 3/Timesplitters/Half Life 2

New ideas....well nevermind i guess...i mean Wolfenstein never tried something similar.

xNIXSONx
WWII - COD/MOH/practically every war time game
Aliens - Gears of War/halo 3/Timesplitters/Half Life 2

New ideas....well nevermind i guess...i mean Wolfenstein never tried something similar.

New ideas are in short supply. Theyre all at the Wii, De Blob, Ninja Bread Man, Cooking Mama.

S_D_J

dear god, I thought I'd never see that... big grin

... no, honestly. I did thought I'd never see that, shame SONY

on the other hand, they've always promote online capable games on the covers, they're just using the PSN tag now

<-@ST->
Originally posted by S_D_J
dear god, I thought I'd never see that... big grin

... no, honestly. I did thought I'd never see that, shame SONY

on the other hand, they've always promote online capable games on the covers, they're just using the PSN tag now

I like their design, though it is the most obvious of the three consoles. lol

xNIXSONx
The bonus dvd cover art with the chimera in dynamic lighting, id prefer that as the cover art, pretty cool

Nemesis X
That is the official boxart for the game right? I've been going through a bunch of sites trying to find it but they always came up with nothing. Official Resistance 2 website my ass.

EvilTyrant
Just read thru the forums, and anyone who says Resistance 1 is not good just hasnt played it. That game was perfect head to toe. I actually thought it was better then Gears, but Gear's graphics will have you to caught up in it to realize. Also Warhawk is a great game too, and I also enjoyed Heavenly Sword, it just lacked a replay value.

About Metal Gear Solid 4, no game out right now can touch it, its above and beyond anything i've played.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.