2D gaming on current consoles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

<-@ST->
With XBLA/PSN and I guess WiiWare becoming home to more ambitious games lately, I was wondering what you like to see in terms of style.

Bionic Commando Rearmed was just released with all the mechanics of the old game, but with full blown 3D graphics and all the visual effects of next gen games. We also have games like Braid and Castle Crashers, which go for artsy or cartoony animated look. And soon Mega Man 9 will be out boasting true 8 bit graphics ripped straight out of the classic NES games.

When I first saw Mega Man, I thought it looked pretty cool, but it wore off pretty quick. I really like the cartoony/animated style of games like Castle Crashers, since with current systems you can basically make a pixel perfect playable cartoon. But after playing Rearmed, I love the style of the game, seeing classic mechanics with current graphics and things like physics engines. So I vote for BC's visual style.

Kazenji
With some of the games i prefer 2D like megaman and the X games. The X games are'nt that great in 3D.

Neo Darkhalen
I think Maverick Hunter X looked good.

jaden101
braid...and the new version of 1942 on XBLA look amazing and play great

Peach
2D gaming doesn't bother me at all, in some respects I think I prefer it.

xNIXSONx
i like sidescrollers with like a next gen look, based on the last Sonic games, he can never work in 3d space, if Sonic was on a 2D plane, but had next gen visuals, it would work perfectly (i think thats what they realized with the new Sonic game)

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
i like sidescrollers with like a next gen look, based on the last Sonic games, he can never work in 3d space, if Sonic was on a 2D plane, but had next gen visuals, it would work perfectly (i think thats what they realized with the new Sonic game)

Indeed, lets hope it can work well this time.

((The_Anomaly))
Yea I agree, I would love for say Nintendo to use the MArio Galaxy engine and make a fully 2D Wii Mario game that looked like Galaxy. It would be amazing. And I would LOVE for Capcom to bring Megaman X back to its 2D roots with current gen graphics.

Impediment
2D is awesome. Next-Gen visuals are nice, but it doesn't make for a better game, IMO.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Impediment
2D is awesome. Next-Gen visuals are nice, but it doesn't make for a better game, IMO.

Agreed...having both is always a good combo as well.

((The_Anomaly))
Exactly, imagine a 2D Wii Mario game in the same vein as New Super Mario Bros. for the DS but using the Mario Galaxy engine and the Wiimote on its side al la NES. It would be amazing. I mean Galaxy itself had a few 2D parts which were some of the best parts in the game, and they looked awesome. I'd love for Nintendo to do that.

SaTsuJiN
if the game can pull it off, I'd like 3d visuals (like.. Ikaruga was beautiful)

it really depends on the game mechanics for me.. sometimes 2d visuals dont cut it, IMO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.